Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elevator scene kicks so much rear end I was like "whoa it's THE elevator" when it showed up in an AoS episode a couple of weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

For character moments, the Zemo/T'Challa part from the end of Civil War is just so great. Like, it's difficult not to feel some sympathy for Zemo, while at the same time T'Challa has a realisation as to what vengeance does to a person. It's just a really great moment. I do like the final Steve vs Tony fight too. The "He's my friend"/"So was I" line from the trailer hits home even harder during the scene.

It is difficult to pick one, a lot of the films do have truly great moments or sequences.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

zoux posted:

How bout this: what's your favorite MCU scene?

Mine's the bridge fight in Winter Soldier.

I've got several scenes and these are constantly changing. No particular order either.

1. The bullet-time scene in Age of Ultron where all the Avengers are fighting Ultron's automatons. Just makes me think of a Silver Age "Avengers Assemble!" battle.
2. Cap's speech to SHIELD at the end of Winter Soldier.
3. Airport battle in Civil War.
4. When Fury shows up at the Triskelion on the helicopter.

I'm at work so that's all I can think of right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I really like the Favella chase scene in The Incredible Hulk.

Ed Norton and Tom Cruise have very expressive "I AM RUNNING EXTREMELY FAST" gaits.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I get that IM3 has problems (though I like it overall), but the barrel of monkeys sequence is great.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked the fight sequence through the time-reversed debris at the end of Doctor Strange.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

zoux posted:

How bout this: what's your favorite MCU scene?

Mine's the bridge fight in Winter Soldier.

"He called me VERMIN! She called me RODENT!"

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I get that IM3 has problems (though I like it overall), but the barrel of monkeys sequence is great.

The featurette about the stunt team doing the jumps to film that sequence is amazing. Practical effects are always best.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I get that IM3 has problems

It's pretty spectacular all the way through.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
http://comicbook.com/2017/05/12/mar...tm_content=Link

Just in case anyone was getting their hopes up about Marvel and Fox working on FF together.

I love how Feige says that "they're doing their thing and doing it quite well."

Uhhhhh....all those FF movies have been poo poo. They're not doing anything well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gavok posted:

"He called me VERMIN! She called me RODENT!"

That was such a great scene, poor Rocket

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

What do people dislike so much about Iron Man 2? I've never really understood the hate for it. It's not as good as the first one, but I really like both Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke as the villains in it. I would imagine a big part of peoples' dislike for it is the whole bit in the middle where Tony discovers/invents a new element, but, you know...comic books and all that.

I like Iron Man 2, but it feels like its story isn't fully realized. You have Tony's illness and trying to get his house in order, you have the rivalry with Hammer, and you have Vanko/his father's history. The three threads are promising, but none of them do as much as they should, in my opinion.

Tony facing his mortality and falling apart is actually pretty good. The conflict of him trying to make sure everything/everyone is taken care of clashes with his spiraling behavior until he gets some intervention from Fury and ultimately finds a resolution. It's satisfying enough, but feels a bit understated and underutilized by having those other two plot threads in there, and them not fully meshing with this thread.

The rivalry with Hammer is almost completely irrelevant. They try to tie that subplot in with Vanko, but since Justin Hammer is so clueless and inept, he feels like he's taking up more focus than he really should be. He could have only showed up for the Army contracting him to redesign War Machine, and probably been more effective by being built up as an actual antagonist in the future, and by not being terrible at designing weapons. Vanko's plotline would then be its own and not muddied up by being combined with the Hammer poo poo.

It was a complete copout to have Howard Stark be the good guy and Anton Vanko just being a thief. To follow through with the idea that Howard was kinda scummy and hosed over his partner would add some more depth to Tony, and make Ivan more credible. The idea that his father lied to him all these years and there being no fallout from that kinda takes the punch out of the character. Give Vanko some legitimacy, have Ivan refine his armor all on his own and forget about all the robots and Hammer at the end, and just have him be a significant threat that NEEDS Tony and Rhodes to work together to stop him.

People say the Avengers stuff is shoehorned in and a big reason why the movie isn't good, but I think it's integrated just fine, except for Fury saying "Nah your dad was good."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Perhaps I'm just an old softy, but for me, one of my all time favorites moments in an MCU movie:

"We are Groot."

It's simple, but it gets me every time.

See Also
"Puny god."

Elevator fight is another fantastic one. And I like Strange outsmarting Dormamu at the end of his movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

I like Iron Man 2, but it feels like its story isn't fully realized. You have Tony's illness and trying to get his house in order, you have the rivalry with Hammer, and you have Vanko/his father's history. The three threads are promising, but none of them do as much as they should, in my opinion.

Tony facing his mortality and falling apart is actually pretty good. The conflict of him trying to make sure everything/everyone is taken care of clashes with his spiraling behavior until he gets some intervention from Fury and ultimately finds a resolution. It's satisfying enough, but feels a bit understated and underutilized by having those other two plot threads in there, and them not fully meshing with this thread.

The rivalry with Hammer is almost completely irrelevant. They try to tie that subplot in with Vanko, but since Justin Hammer is so clueless and inept, he feels like he's taking up more focus than he really should be. He could have only showed up for the Army contracting him to redesign War Machine, and probably been more effective by being built up as an actual antagonist in the future, and by not being terrible at designing weapons. Vanko's plotline would then be its own and not muddied up by being combined with the Hammer poo poo.

It was a complete copout to have Howard Stark be the good guy and Anton Vanko just being a thief. To follow through with the idea that Howard was kinda scummy and hosed over his partner would add some more depth to Tony, and make Ivan more credible. The idea that his father lied to him all these years and there being no fallout from that kinda takes the punch out of the character. Give Vanko some legitimacy, have Ivan refine his armor all on his own and forget about all the robots and Hammer at the end, and just have him be a significant threat that NEEDS Tony and Rhodes to work together to stop him.

People say the Avengers stuff is shoehorned in and a big reason why the movie isn't good, but I think it's integrated just fine, except for Fury saying "Nah your dad was good."

Sam Rockwell's performance as Hammer is the absolute best part of IM2.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Sam Rockwell's performance as Hammer is the absolute best part of IM2.

Absolutely agreed, which is why I was saying he could have been introduced in Iron Man 2 in a minor capacity, then focused on later. Give him a chance to really shine instead of competing with all those subplots.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
He could've been Guy Pearce's role in IM3 basically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electromax posted:

He could've been Guy Pearce's role in IM3 basically.

You're not supposed to want the villain to win.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish the Extremis dudes were like, 10% as interesting as Extremis was in the comics instead of just being volcano people.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

Perhaps I'm just an old softy, but for me, one of my all time favorites moments in an MCU movie:

"We are Groot."

It's simple, but it gets me every time.

I love that scene just for Cooper's delivery. His, "Why are you doing this?! Why?!" is equal parts distraught, confused and furious. Throughout the movie, he simply doesn't get the idea of sacrificing oneself for others. He doesn't get it when Quill almost dies for Gamora and he doesn't get it when everyone stands up for Xandar, even if he ultimately goes with it. So when someone sacrifices themselves for Rocket himself he just can't comprehend it. He doesn't want Groot to die and he especially doesn't want Groot to die for him because up until this point, he probably wouldn't die for Groot.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Here would be my top 3 Marvel scenes, so far:

1. The airport battle in Civil War, which gave me a huge nerd boner - especially Ant-Man on Hawkeye's arrow (straight out of the comics) and the Empire Strikes Back-esque scene with Spider-Man and Giant-Man.

2. Steven Strange's first trip through the multiverse, which was one of the trippiest scenes I've ever seen on film. It was wonderful in every way

3. The "We are Groot" scene in the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

I feel like the new Thor movie is going to have some pretty badass moments though - the trailer is metal as gently caress. If it weren't for the new Guardians movie that came out, that would be the one MCU movie that I was most hyped for this year.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's cheesy as gently caress but that bit right before the NY battle in Avengers when they all stand in a circle and the camera sweeps around the whole team still makes my spine tingle.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Retro Futurist posted:

It's cheesy as gently caress but that bit right before the NY battle in Avengers when they all stand in a circle and the camera sweeps around the whole team still makes my spine tingle.

Forgot about that one. Yeah, that one is right up there as well.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I really want Hulk to say "He Am Groot" at some point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

The couple moments Cap gets to protect people in the NY battle is like the best representation of what his character's about in the films so far.

Loser_Rex posted:

I really want Hulk to say "He Am Groot" at some point.

Yes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if it's my favorite scene but I love Cap and Widow taking out Batroc and his crew at the beginning of Winter Soldier.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

That is a good scene.

I'm trying to remember if there's a scene in the first Avengers movie where Iron Man flies in and hits his repulsors at Cap's shield and it reflects and hits a bunch of bad guys.

I also love the end fight between Cap and IM in Civil War.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it's during a fast pan across all the little battles. Iron Man drops in from fighting in the air to do the move quick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I don't know if it's my favorite scene but I love Cap and Widow taking out Batroc and his crew at the beginning of Winter Soldier.

That's a great sequence. I remember they released like four minutes of that a month or so before the movie came out and people were like, whoa this movie is going to kick rear end. It's also the perfect intro on how someone with Cap's skill set fits in to the modern concept of war.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

X-O posted:

Cap running around the ship kicking rear end is definitely a top scene for me. The Russos have really mastered superhero physics in that things feel like they have weight. There's no distracting bad wire work like the X-men movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jagermonster posted:

Cap running around the ship kicking rear end is definitely a top scene for me. The Russos have really mastered superhero physics in that things feel like they have weight. There's no distracting bad wire work like the X-men movies.

Those leaps Wolverine does are so bad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pre-super serum Steve Rogers leaping on the dummy grenade is maybe my favorite character moment of his.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jagermonster posted:

It's too bad the camera doesn't stop violently shaking for a single moment during that entire sequence.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

howe_sam posted:

Pre-super serum Steve Rogers leaping on the dummy grenade is maybe my favorite character moment of his.

I'd give it to the first time he meets Banner on the Helicarrier.

quote:

Steve Rogers: Word is you can find the cube.
Bruce Banner: Is that the only word on me?
Steve Rogers: Only word I care about.

I like that he's clearly not even being patronizing with it or anything and it's a such a perfect Cap beat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of my favourite bits is a bit silly. It's the one where Loki's in Germany and menaces all these people into bowing before him and sneers, "In the end, you always kneel!" then one old guy gets up and goes, "Not to men like you." Maybe it's a bit maudlin or heavy-handed but I like it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my favourite bits is a bit silly. It's the one where Loki's in Germany and menaces all these people into bowing before him and sneers, "In the end, you always kneel!" then one old guy gets up and goes, "Not to men like you." Maybe it's a bit maudlin or heavy-handed but I like it.

You cut off the best part!

Loki: There are no men like me
Old guy: There are always men like you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Everyone is always like "RDJ is Stark", and he's great, but getting the right guy for Cap was a lot harder task and with Evans, I think that was the best casting so far in the MCU. And there's been a lot of great MCU casting.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zoux posted:

Everyone is always like "RDJ is Stark", and he's great, but getting the right guy for Cap was a lot harder task and with Evans, I think that was the best casting so far in the MCU. And there's been a lot of great MCU casting.

It doesn't hurt that he's a legitimately great dude who goes around irl righting wrongs and doing good deeds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Agreed. Cap and Spider-Man were always my favorite Marvel guys growing up and still to this day, and Evans as Cap is pretty much my favorite superhero casting there is.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, Cap is my favorite Avenger for stuff like diving on the grenade and language. I am anxiously awaiting him picking up the hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Evans is amazing in the told. Remember how upset the fandom was when he was hinting that he wanted to step away? Everyone loves the dude.

• Locked thread