Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

iospace posted:

The problem with Tebow is if you cut him because he's trash, him and his fanbase will claim because he's too religious.

Legit curious - has Tebow ever claimed from his own mouth that his religious beliefs have been held against him?

I mean, you're totally right about the 2nd part because his fan base would go nuts, but I've never heard Tebow complain about it himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ice Fist posted:

Legit curious - has Tebow ever claimed from his own mouth that his religious beliefs have been held against him?

I believe the whole baseball thing is a cynical ploy to keep his name around and make more money, but no I don't think he's ever said that. This might be because he or someone in his inner circle is savvy enough to let him know that he has an army of people willing to do it for him.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tim Tebow is legit doing way, way, way better than I ever thought he'd do in A-Ball, and even then he is a dude who can barely play LF who OPSs .700. His upside is not Willie Bloomquist. It's nowhere near Willie Bloomquist.

Willie Bloomquist was a dude who could literally play every single position not named Catcher or Center Field at near league average standards. That's insane. He was never great offensively but his career OPS is less than 50 points lower than what Tim Tebow is doing at Age 29, where is he 7 and a half years older than the average player in Single A ball

Tim Tebows upside is a dude who flames out at AA, he should flame out in Single-A but the Mets are a garbage organization who are poor and need the money.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I honestly think that if Tebow really, really dedicated himself to baseball for the next 2-3 years to try and close some of the skill gap that comes from his lack of prior experience in the sport, that he has the physical tools to be a major league 4th outfielder. The problem is more that even in that best case scenario he's not going to be MLB ready until he's in his 30's, and the sport is in the middle of a youth revolution. There are dozens upon dozens of dudes in the draft each year with a similar ceiling, and they're much cheaper/younger. It's not impossible to break into the majors at his age, but you need to be flashing some serious upside for it to happen.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Tim Tebows upside is selling merch and putting butts in seats. He'll have a spot on a roster somewhere as long as the merch moves

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tony Phillips posted:

WHAT IN THE HELL SINCE WHEN HAS BO BEEN WINKING?

The whole time, Ichiro winked too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Something called an Eddie Butler is starting for the Cubs tonight ... ?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

elentar posted:

The one good thing about this Braves season is at least I won't have to deal with Jeff Franc--
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/863097410289098756

Something tells me it will be a home run or a swing and a miss

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Familia had surgery to remove a blood clot from his shoulder and will be out for "several months"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I legitimately have not been this excited about Astros baseball than the World Series year.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think Tebow's a fine athlete and if he were, say, doing baseball out of college he might have a shot as a 4th OF.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The Pussy Boss posted:

Familia had surgery to remove a blood clot from his shoulder and will be out for "several months"

The insane thing is he reported tingling in his hand to the trainers and they still said he was clear to pitch. Do the Mets trainers have diplomas written in crayon?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Something called an Eddie Butler is starting for the Cubs tonight ... ?
Former Rockies top prospect who the Cubs got in the offseason. He has talent but has not shown it yet at the MLB level.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Long time baseball men will tell you that Tebow runs hard out of the box every time, his work ethic is off the charts, has got major league character, a projectable baseball body, a good face, and is a team player that makes everyone around him better. Francoeur is a good comp for him. What is Tebow anyway, is that some kind of French name?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the popes toes posted:

Long time baseball men will tell you that Tebow runs hard out of the box every time, his work ethic is off the charts, has got major league character, a projectable baseball body, a good face, and is a team player that makes everyone around him better. Francoeur is a good comp for him. What is Tebow anyway, is that some kind of French name?

So to sum that all up: "hi butt."

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

So to sum that all up: "hi butt."

Hi butt goes a long way for real baseball men. See the physical description for Jeter's scouting report

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the popes toes posted:

Hi butt goes a long way for real baseball men. See the physical description for Jeter's scouting report

If there's one thing I've learned about professional scouts for pretty much every sport, it's that they absolutely love talking about butts.

I'd imagine Jaromir Jagr's scouting reports had pink hearts drawn around them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Now I really wanna see Tebows scouting report.

Every MLB Team but the Mets: "He's 29 and hasn't played in a decade. No."

Mets: "Will sell minor league tickets"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

the popes toes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgyy_rlmag&t=190s

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

:toot: Twins Alone In First Place! :toot:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
No game is safe from Krol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

:toot: Twins Alone In First Place! :toot:

Twins, bitch

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Thom P. Tiers posted:

His upside is nothing. He's going to be 30 and he's hitting .250 against 20 year olds drafted out of high school.

I agree he probably will either never play a MLB game or never be a positive on a MLB team. My point was he can't make his way up as a super utility guy. There is no way in hell he could play ss or 2b or even 3b. Something that it's required by a MLB team to be carried as 6th infielder as a weak hitter.

He doesn't have the experience, baseball iq, agility, accuracy, etc to ever play middle infield. His only chance is passable defence as a LF with some pop.

But that ain't gonna happen.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Marcade posted:

The insane thing is he reported tingling in his hand to the trainers and they still said he was clear to pitch.

This is both egregious and also 100% believable.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

Former Rockies top prospect who the Cubs got in the offseason. He has talent but has not shown it yet at the MLB level.

Tonight's line for Butler in St. Louis:

6.0 IP, 2 H, 5 K, 3 BB, 0 ER, W

Later, Brett Anderson! :byewhore:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So the skinny on Headley's ejection: After he fouled the bunt (it hit his hand), McCann said something to him then he said "I never said anything to you" in response and he was tossed because the ump thought he was talking to him

What

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
https://twitter.com/darenw/status/863238126990499840

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Tonight's line for Butler in St. Louis:

6.0 IP, 2 H, 5 K, 3 BB, 0 ER, W

Later, Brett Anderson! :byewhore:

Give us your tired, your poor, your former pitching prospects that haven't gotten too hurt yearning to be free....

A couple weeks with Chris Bosio, a couple of weeks in Des Moines and there you go!

I wonder what Todd Van Poppel is up to these days.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cautiously optimistic about Butler. Bosio has worked wonders and hopefully one of these reclamation projects like Montgomery or Butler will pay off.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

So the skinny on Headley's ejection: After he fouled the bunt (it hit his hand), McCann said something to him then he said "I never said anything to you" in response and he was tossed because the ump thought he was talking to him

What

I read that McCann asked him if he was OK, and if it hit him, and Headley replied "yes," and, "yeah it loving hit me," respectively, glaring at the ump Johnson who didn't call it a HBP.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It kinda felt to me like one of those ejections where the ump provokes the confrontation, or at least escalated it needlessly. Shouldn't have come to that point.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Astros/Yankees just got officially postponed for today and will be a day/night doubleheader on Sunday

e:
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/863325135557857280/photo/1

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 13, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hopefully the Yankees lose twice on Jeter Day.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I'm not sure who's hitting in the home run derby this year, but Anibal Sanchez should definitely be the pitcher.

...and catapulted into the sun shortly thereafter

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

impressive outing for new cubs superstar Eddie Butler

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 13, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what the christ ian happ up

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abel Wingnut posted:

what the christ ian happ up

Aren't Bryant, Russell, Heyward and Jay all hurting? They need some short-term utility help.

R.D. Mangles posted:

impressive outing for new cubs superstar Eddie Butler

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's happening.gif

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
He won't be in the lineup today, will he?

Edit: apparently he's batting 2nd and playing rf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Well Harper is a Nat for at least one more year. https://twitter.com/Holdenradio/status/863463085780193280

• Locked thread