Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

victor hedman's visor got cracked in a game he was playing and jesus christ look how close this was to ruining all his god drat poo poo

https://twitter.com/jimmywixtrom/status/863087337240244224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Reading some of the comments from the Caps exit interviews today and it sounded like Shattenkirk is pretty set on testing free agency (aka going to the Rangers) whereas Oshie would prefer to stay in Washington.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Reading some of the comments from the Caps exit interviews today and it sounded like Shattenkirk is pretty set on testing free agency (aka going to the Rangers) whereas Oshie would prefer to stay in Washington.

Yeah Shattenkirk is gone. Oshie sounds like he wants to stay but if the Capitals can't/won't make a competitive offer I find it hard to believe Oshie turning down millions of dollars.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
this contract is going to suck

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

There's a comment in that twitter thread to the style of "I would never trust a chart like this over the decisions of the front office" and LMAO in every response to replies to him.
While comments are never good and people are stupid, it somehow really pisses me off that there are (many?) people basically saying: "I do not understand/trust factual data; I rather trust people in positions of authority when they say something"

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Porrima posted:

"I do not understand/trust factual data; I rather trust people in positions of authority when they say something"

-The half of America that voted for Donald J. Trump

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mind_Taker posted:

-The half of America that voted for Donald J. Trump

- Robbie Mook

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aye Doc posted:

victor hedman's visor got cracked in a game he was playing and jesus christ look how close this was to ruining all his god drat poo poo

https://twitter.com/jimmywixtrom/status/863087337240244224

that's going to be a gnarly supervillain scar

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah Shattenkirk is gone. Oshie sounds like he wants to stay but if the Capitals can't/won't make a competitive offer I find it hard to believe Oshie turning down millions of dollars.

maybe it's wishful thinking but I think Oshie might take less than expected to stay in Washington. Jokes about the Caps choking aside, realistically it's one of the better teams to be on if you want a chance to win a Cup.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
ban all visors

for what it's worth Larry Brooks who does have some insight into the Rangers thinking about a few things (if you can sort out his info from his speculation) has been adamant that the Rangers are not interested in paying a big cost for Shattenkirk. If he wants $6+ mill per year he doesn't think they'll bite

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

that's going to be a gnarly supervillain scar

maybe it's wishful thinking but I think Oshie might take less than expected to stay in Washington. Jokes about the Caps choking aside, realistically it's one of the better teams to be on if you want a chance to win a Cup.

Counterpoint: pens sign oshie for under market value, complete team top six forward.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how they fit even one of them in right now. Maybe they buy out Orpik to squeeze out a little bit more cap space but then they'd have to replace him and Shattenkirk both (not to mention Alzner) and I'm unfamiliar with the Caps system and whether they have the guys to do that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how they fit even one of them in right now. Maybe they buy out Orpik to squeeze out a little bit more cap space but then they'd have to replace him and Shattenkirk both (not to mention Alzner) and I'm unfamiliar with the Caps system and whether they have the guys to do that.

They'll have close to 23 million in cap space this summer. The priority is Kuznetsov/Burakovsky/Orlov, but even if they get generous raises there should still be more than enough left over for Oshie with change to spare on depth players.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

ban all visors

for what it's worth Larry Brooks who does have some insight into the Rangers thinking about a few things (if you can sort out his info from his speculation) has been adamant that the Rangers are not interested in paying a big cost for Shattenkirk. If he wants $6+ mill per year he doesn't think they'll bite

Yeah, this has been sustaining me so far seeing that. But I'm also worried they're going to pay more than 3-3.5 for BSmith

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They'll have close to 23 million in cap space this summer. The priority is Kuznetsov/Burakovsky/Orlov, but even if they get generous raises there should still be more than enough left over for Oshie with change to spare on depth players.

You forgot Schmidt as well who I assume they will very much want to keep. I assume Kuznetsov gets like 6 mil or so, Orlov 3-4, Burakovsky 3 or so, and Schmidt 2-3. So you probably have something like 11-14 million or so depending tied up in those four guys. Add Oshie at 5-6 million and you're suddenly pretty tight up against the Cap while still needing to replace Williams, Winnik, Alzner, and Shattenkirk.

Grubauer is also an RFA but I assume Vegas will take him though I guess it's possible they lean elsewhere. Connolly too but he should also be dirt cheap and if not they'll tell him to gently caress off.

I think it can be done to keep Oshie but it's gonna require some good luck with the RFAs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Come on Holland, toss Oshie a 7-year offer. You know you want to.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

You forgot Schmidt as well who I assume they will very much want to keep. I assume Kuznetsov gets like 6 mil or so, Orlov 3-4, Burakovsky 3 or so, and Schmidt 2-3. So you probably have something like 11-14 million or so depending tied up in those four guys. Add Oshie at 5-6 million and you're suddenly pretty tight up against the Cap while still needing to replace Williams, Winnik, Alzner, and Shattenkirk.

Grubauer is also an RFA but I assume Vegas will take him though I guess it's possible they lean elsewhere. Connolly too but he should also be dirt cheap and if not they'll tell him to gently caress off.

I think it can be done to keep Oshie but it's gonna require some good luck with the RFAs.

Yeah definitely, but they also have a handful younger guys in Hershey who are probably ready and will push for roster spots in the bottom 6 this coming year. Vrana, Barber, Boyd, Stephenson, O'Brien, etc

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, this has been sustaining me so far seeing that. But I'm also worried they're going to pay more than 3-3.5 for BSmith

Probably would have to pay $4 mill or so for him I think. UFA's have that leverage

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah definitely, but they also have a handful younger guys in Hershey who are probably ready and will push for roster spots in the bottom 6 this coming year. Vrana, Barber, Boyd, Stephenson, O'Brien, etc

I'm not really sold on their AHL talent at forward. Aside from Vrana those guys are very unimpressive IMO. They should certainly get their shots but I'm not expecting much.

I mentioned this before but I really think they need to look at trading Carlson. He's a UFA next season and he's going to be getting a huge contract and I'm not really sure he's going to deserve it. He's not really a #1D. He's more similar to Shattenkirk in that he's a nice complementary player but he doesn't drive possession and he's not really very good defensively. If Adam Larsson can return Taylor Hall then trading Carlson should net a great return as well. D is a position of strength for the Capitals (Orlov, Schmidt, and Niskanen is a great base to work from and I like their defensive prospects) but their forwards need help, especially if both Oshie and Williams walk.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Porrima posted:

There's a comment in that twitter thread to the style of "I would never trust a chart like this over the decisions of the front office" and LMAO in every response to replies to him.
While comments are never good and people are stupid, it somehow really pisses me off that there are (many?) people basically saying: "I do not understand/trust factual data; I rather trust people in positions of authority when they say something"

To be fair, unless you know how those stats are developed you're not really trusting factual data, you're trusting the people who made that chart. I doubt many people know what goes into those stats. Who the gently caress know what AxA% is anyway? So (most) people are still trusting an authority to tell them what's right.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Duck Rodgers posted:

To be fair, unless you know how those stats are developed you're not really trusting factual data, you're trusting the people who made that chart. I doubt many people know what goes into those stats. Who the gently caress know what AxA% is anyway? So (most) people are still trusting an authority to tell them what's right.

Yes, valid.

I'm just (a) sad.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm not really sold on their AHL talent at forward. Aside from Vrana those guys are very unimpressive IMO. They should certainly get their shots but I'm not expecting much.

I mentioned this before but I really think they need to look at trading Carlson. He's a UFA next season and he's going to be getting a huge contract and I'm not really sure he's going to deserve it. He's not really a #1D. He's more similar to Shattenkirk in that he's a nice complementary player but he doesn't drive possession and he's not really very good defensively. If Adam Larsson can return Taylor Hall then trading Carlson should net a great return as well. D is a position of strength for the Capitals (Orlov, Schmidt, and Niskanen is a great base to work from and I like their defensive prospects) but their forwards need help, especially if both Oshie and Williams walk.

At some point the Caps just can't be so ridiculously deep though. There are weaknesses in their forward group, for sure, but I struggle to think of a deeper team in the league in terms of the talent they can ice on all four lines. Pittsburgh and Chicago, I guess? At some point, basically this offseason really, it's just not going to be feasibly anymore and they're going to need to plug in more AHL guys who maybe aren't as good.

Agreed on Carlson, although I don't think he'll net as much as Larsson did. It just feels like that trade was such an anomaly that you can't use it as a basis for "you should give us X for Carlson because New Jersey got Taylor Hall for Larsson" - yknow?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

At some point the Caps just can't be so ridiculously deep though. There are weaknesses in their forward group, for sure, but I struggle to think of a deeper team in the league in terms of the talent they can ice on all four lines. Pittsburgh and Chicago, I guess? At some point, basically this offseason really, it's just not going to be feasibly anymore and they're going to need to plug in more AHL guys who maybe aren't as good.

Agreed on Carlson, although I don't think he'll net as much as Larsson did. It just feels like that trade was such an anomaly that you can't use it as a basis for "you should give us X for Carlson because New Jersey got Taylor Hall for Larsson" - yknow?

Not saying they can get Taylor Hall for Carlson but there have to be several teams looking for a RD who can play on the PP and would be willing to give up a good forward in order to make it work. Toronto and Tampa Bay come to mind but I'm sure there are others.

I guess I just don't want to see the Capitals half-rear end it. Their AHL forwards probably aren't good enough on a competitive team so they either need to reload and try one or two final times with Ovechkin which would mean acquiring a few more good forwards, or blow it up completely.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

Not saying they can get Taylor Hall for Carlson but there have to be several teams looking for a RD who can play on the PP and would be willing to give up a good forward in order to make it work. Toronto and Tampa Bay come to mind but I'm sure there are others.

I guess I just don't want to see the Capitals half-rear end it. Their AHL forwards probably aren't good enough on a competitive team so they either need to reload and try one or two final times with Ovechkin which would mean acquiring a few more good forwards, or blow it up completely.

There are generally some pretty great depth forwards that can be had for cheap too to plug in and replace guys like Connolly or Winnik or whatever. Dominic Moore is 36 but just had a quietly great under-the-radar year with Boston, for example. Something like 25 points and played a lot on the PK at 900k. He'll probably be a free agent too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Burakovsky looked like he belonged when he was playing on the top line against the Penguins.

So I don't think they NEED Oshie, but boy would I like to see them find a way to keep him. Such a good two-way guy and he and Backstrom work incredibly well together.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jim Nil does go money gooder

I am going to choose to be optimistic about Bishop. I am making that choice.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

I mean, the money is a bit high. The term is pretty high. The nmc and ntc are pretty unnecessary. But, I mean, other than that it's all good!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Shinjobi posted:

Shinjobi posted:

*kicks down the door*

I AM PTEPARED TO HATE [insert goalie here] HALF AS MUCH AS I HATE NIEMI AND LEHTONEN

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Hawks are the opposite of a deep team which is why they got wrecked by the Preds. Maybe a couple years ago, but definitely not now or in the near future.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers are deep at forward but lack the real high end guys like the Caps do

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLS8BbHDfwE

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I hope the Rangers re-sign Smith and sign Shattenkirk, keep McDonagh and Skjei, and change the rest of the defense. Not just change for the sake of change, but trying to find defensemen who fit better with their forwards and fast style.

Holden scored 11g 23a this year and has a cap hit of 1.65m for one year. Based on that career year, he's got more trade value than the 4th round pick they traded for him.
Klein slowed down a lot but is still a serviceable RHD with GRIT and a cap hit of 2.9m for one more year, he just hasn't really fit in NY this year.
Girardi is old and slow but at least he's serviceable with McDonagh. He has a partial NTC starting this summer and is signed for three more years.
Staal is signed for four more years with a NMC and just needs a change of scenery, or at least that's what we'll be telling everyone who plays with his brothers.
Kampfer just signed a two-year, two-way extension and seems like a perfect guy to compete for a #6/7 spot with the rookies they're looking to bring in.
Clendening is a RFA so I guess he's sticking around or getting traded for Danny Kristo.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I hope the Montreal Canadien Hockey Club does something about the whole "trade talented players and sign useless puchmen" thing.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Suspicious posted:

I hope the Montreal Canadien Hockey Club does something about the whole "trade talented players and sign useless puchmen" thing.

Nah this year we're just gonna not protect them and let them get expansion drafted away

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

So I looked at that YouTube dude's "Haters Guide to the Haters Guide to the 2017 NHL Playoffs" and man if the Kings couldn't crack this playoff year then they haven't torn down enough.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Zodijackylite posted:

Holden scored 11g 23a this year and has a cap hit of 1.65m for one year. Based on that career year, he's got more trade value than the 4th round pick they traded for him.
Klein slowed down a lot but is still a serviceable RHD with GRIT and a cap hit of 2.9m for one more year, he just hasn't really fit in NY this year.
Girardi is old and slow but at least he's serviceable with McDonagh. He has a partial NTC starting this summer and is signed for three more years.
Staal is signed for four more years with a NMC and just needs a change of scenery, or at least that's what we'll be telling everyone who plays with his brothers.
Kampfer just signed a two-year, two-way extension and seems like a perfect guy to compete for a #6/7 spot with the rookies they're looking to bring in.
Clendening is a RFA so I guess he's sticking around or getting traded for Danny Kristo.

All of these guys suck

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Glambags posted:

All of these guys suck

clendening is good

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

No he isn't.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah, I guess I was just repeating myself.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/863049607424638977

do it gmgm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd love for the leafs to pick up a guy like shattenkirk

:cripes:

Why would an all-star d man go to an expansion team

• Locked thread