Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

Strawberry Panties

Do I want to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I tried making a character named Wyatt Erp and it wouldn't let me. This makes me angry.

This is kind of pathetic.

:shrug:

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
How in the hell would you, using a gamepad, have fast enough access to the 20+ abilities in order to run your rotations efficiently?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nahrix posted:

How in the hell would you, using a gamepad, have fast enough access to the 20+ abilities in order to run your rotations efficiently?

My understanding is that you basically hold different buttons to change to different smaller hotbars which are bound to face buttons on the controller. I know a few people who swear by it though I can't imagine how.

That said "there are too many abilities for the PS4 controller" is a stated reason for trying to rework abilities.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nahrix posted:

Multiple hotbars, they're pretty easy to switch between and you get used to it very quickly. You can also clear out your hotbars of things like Sprint or Teleport etc. by binding those to the shared hotbar or whatever it's called (the ones you get by holding L2+R2).

e: to elaborate, you can turn on/off hotbars. You get I think 8 of them, but you can set active ones so you're only scrolling between 2 bars instead of 8. Each hotbar is good for 16 abilities, so it's rare that you see people using more than 2 at a time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Do I want to know?

A person on Excalibur that some goons have a weird, creepy obsession with.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

Strawberry Panties and his crew don't flip out and whine when you stand over them with giant mount models anymore and it makes me sad :(

Lol for real? It always struck me as weird that they just stand around all the time in the same spot talking about what race has the best body and emoting super cutesy anime stuff.

Fister Roboto posted:

A person on Excalibur that some goons have a weird, creepy obsession with.

I must have missed this. I just discovered the dancing miqote in Idyllshire like a week ago tho, I'm kinda slow on picking this stuff up.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

A creepy loli ERPer with a bunch of equally creepy loli ERP hangers-on on Excalibur that some goons like to make fun of

ftfy

I don't think laughing at getting paragraph-long angry PMs for idling on Fat Chocobo in a spot in Idyllshire is a weird creepy obsession but what do I know :shrug:

e: I took a 6-month break from the game a few months ago and the first time I loaded back into Idyllshire to trade in some Collectibles one of the dinguses in that group who used to get really mad immediately started PMing me and emoting the usual dumb anime pervert poo poo, honestly I was kind of flattered they remembered me after that long of an absence :v:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 12, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Strawberry Panties has had people spend hundreds of dollars on fantasia and other cash shop items on her. She's living the dream tbqh.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Strawberry Panties has had people spend hundreds of dollars on fantasia and other cash shop items on her. She's living the dream tbqh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_domination

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nahrix posted:

Does it take you longer than 2 seconds to go from one button to another on a gamepad? Or well 1 second if you're weaving, but still the GCD is very generous in this game and it isn't any harder to press a button every GCD on a gamepad than a keyboard.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wonder if she's gotten more than the guy from 4chan who catfished people on balmung and made off with like 1600 dollars worth of games and donations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wonder if she's gotten more than the guy from 4chan who catfished people on balmung and made off with like 1600 dollars worth of games and donations.

link? that sounds awesome

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only part I imagine being weird on a controller is swapping between targets quickly in an emergency and I imagine people get used to it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

link? that sounds awesome

Fraid I don't have one, it was a while ago but the uh..gift messages were always exactly as pathetic as you'd imagine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The only part I imagine being weird on a controller is swapping between targets quickly in an emergency and I imagine people get used to it.

That's actually the one thing I still struggle with, at least in panic moments. I know you can run down the list of currently aggro-ed enemies with L1+d-pad but that's not always a very fast way to pick a target, especially if it's a new add or something and it's not on your aggro list yet.

I use a DS4 so I can use the touchpad as a mouse, but it's way too sensitive, and almost impossible to click without moving the cursor, so it's not very useful at all in making target selections.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Lol that owns but I don't think I could ever do anything like that without wanting to crawl out of my skin.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That said "there are too many abilities for the PS4 controller" is a stated reason for trying to rework abilities.

gamepads have, atm, access to 48 hotkeys. if this is even a reason for the ability rework, it's far far far lower on the list than the idiots who hate rotational complexity and would rather neuter their dps than just sit down and try to figure it out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

gamepads have, atm, access to 48 hotkeys. if this is even a reason for the ability rework, it's far far far lower on the list than the idiots who hate rotational complexity and would rather neuter their dps than just sit down and try to figure it out.

IMO gamepads are great for strict rotations since you can order your abilities however you want. Learning a rotation that's literally "hold L2 and press X, Square, Triangle and then Circle, then hold R2 and do the same" can't possibly be that hard?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

That's actually the one thing I still struggle with, at least in panic moments. I know you can run down the list of currently aggro-ed enemies with L1+d-pad but that's not always a very fast way to pick a target, especially if it's a new add or something and it's not on your aggro list yet.

I use a DS4 so I can use the touchpad as a mouse, but it's way too sensitive, and almost impossible to click without moving the cursor, so it's not very useful at all in making target selections.
If you hit L1+L2 it cycles targets from back to front, that's usually the easiest way to pick up a new add if you see them before they enter the pack. If you hit R1+L2 instead it goes from front to back, also. They don't tell you that anywhere in the game, you gotta go to the instructions on their website to learn about it

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

homeless snail posted:

If you hit L1+L2 it cycles targets from back to front, that's usually the easiest way to pick up a new add if you see them before they enter the pack. If you hit R1+L2 instead it goes from front to back, also. They don't tell you that anywhere in the game, you gotta go to the instructions on their website to learn about it

This seems true of a lot of things, but the goons in TPT have been nice enough to humor my dumb questions.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

isk posted:

In addition to the previous suggestions - get the Challenge Log at 15, too. Even if you don't pursue most/all objectives, you'll make steady gil just from playing. One of the main activities it doesn't cover is Palace of the Dead - hopefully that'll change in the future.

Also as a note for a new player, Palace of the Dead is good for trying out classes at higher levels before you actually get those higher levels. It's also decent XP.
HOWEVER it is not indicative of the rest of the game at all. Newbies have spent their entire first character leveling through POTD both to get to 60 and get a decent ilvl 255 weapon and that is a big mistake. You don't learn any rotations, very few mechanics from the bosses and while your weapon is the most important item to get, you can't neglect the rest of your gear too.

POTD is great as a side thing to do.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You mean fat guy who probably hasn't seen his dick in 10 years?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also as a note for a new player, Palace of the Dead is good for trying out classes at higher levels before you actually get those higher levels. It's also decent XP.
HOWEVER it is not indicative of the rest of the game at all. Newbies have spent their entire first character leveling through POTD both to get to 60 and get a decent ilvl 255 weapon and that is a big mistake. You don't learn any rotations, very few mechanics from the bosses and while your weapon is the most important item to get, you can't neglect the rest of your gear too.

POTD is great as a side thing to do.

My general recommendation is:

PotD is good for filling spaces between dungeons but you should absolutely run any given dungeon or trial at least once or twice before going back to PotD, even when leveling a second class. You really need to get a feel for how they function in actual gameplay and the experience from dungeons is still quite good for your level.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How does POTD deal with 50+ abilities? Do you only get them if you've already unlocked them through that job's quests? It'd be pretty funny to see a 60BLM in there who's still limited to the 50 rotation.

I always felt it was a little underwhelming that you could take a job to 50 in there and see all the abilities without the benefit of the given questgiver telling you how awesome you are for unlocking the mighty power of Ruin II or whatever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

You mean fat guy who probably hasn't seen his dick in 10 years?

Don't sign your posts.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

All I've understood about SP so far is they react when you try to harass them I guess. Being a creepy catgirl is not illegal. Hell, why'd you play this game otherwise.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

How does POTD deal with 50+ abilities? Do you only get them if you've already unlocked them through that job's quests? It'd be pretty funny to see a 60BLM in there who's still limited to the 50 rotation.

I always felt it was a little underwhelming that you could take a job to 50 in there and see all the abilities without the benefit of the given questgiver telling you how awesome you are for unlocking the mighty power of Ruin II or whatever.
If you go in with a job stone, you get everything.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Nahrix posted:

You may want to sit down for this.....

It's actually possible to do all content in this game with every class using a controller.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shy posted:

All I've understood about SP so far is they react when you try to harass them I guess. Being a creepy catgirl is not illegal. Hell, why'd you play this game otherwise.

Yeah, the ERP stuff is weird and all, but as far as I know they keep it to tells, so it's never bothered me. In fact I wouldn't even know about the ERP stuff if it wasn't for goons talking about it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, the ERP stuff is weird and all, but as far as I know they keep it to tells, so it's never bothered me. In fact I wouldn't even know about the ERP stuff if it wasn't for goons talking about it.

How do they find out about it? Hmmm...

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
I am a Monk main and I can't even imagine doing my rotation on a keyboard.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I wouldn't know about the ERP stuff if it wasn't for the fact that I see them doing it in /s or even /sh for the less blatantly-erotic stuff all the time

e: I remember the good old days when I only knew SP as "fuuuuck, this DF is going to take forever" and not "Strawberry Panties gently fondles [female lala] cute ol' butt!"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
An hour ago I just queued into The Aery where the level 57 bard had not picked up any of his post-50 skills because he claims he did not know where to get them.

This poo poo is Real and It Happens, folks. On the regular, even. :negative:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I remember some goon posted in here about how some GM put them in jail for a bit for AFK-/following SP and they tried to get in some Sick Ice Burns about how the GM is a no-life loser or whatever. That being said I do remember seeing them as a lalafell and still being up to usual weird flirty poo poo which is a definite red flag. My favorite story is when I was hanging around Limsa spamming /blowkiss at this guy I know and some potato 'accidentally' sent me a tell asking if I wanted to ERP, then after I replied 'lmao no' he told the guy that I wasn't worth it and that his catgirl harem was way better than me.

(Also I think making fun of guys for playing girls in video games is kinda ehhhh.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Emalde posted:

An hour ago I just queued into The Aery where the level 57 bard had not picked up any of his post-50 skills because he claims he did not know where to get them.

This poo poo is Real and It Happens, folks. On the regular, even. :negative:
I could understand that, sort of, because the level 50+ quests tend to move the quest NPC randomly around the zones and the Recommendations window still doesn't show important quests (like MSQ and job/class quests) that aren't in the same zone. Which it should.

It's annoying because they have this feature that should be perfect for leading people where they need to go, and instead they just let it be kind of worthless.

I forgot to grab my level 60 BRD ability for several months after hitting 60 BRD. Although I don't play as a BRD, but the quest NPC had hosed off to Moghome or something and I didn't remember to go looking for him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

I wouldn't know about the ERP stuff if it wasn't for the fact that I see them doing it in /s or even /sh for the less blatantly-erotic stuff all the time

That's weird, I don't. And really if it bothers you so much you can just blacklist them, or even report them if it's too obscene.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm gonna publicly blow kisses to see if I become the next ERP menace of Excalibur.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

So what you're saying is that ERPers should be specially shielded from criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Doesn't help that the Bard trainer is usually kinda secondary in your mind if you're in the area he's in anyway.

• Locked thread