Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Neil Armbong posted:

Ah. I forgot about the wide stance defense.

I don't know about you guys but I always take a poo poo in the posture a sumo wrestler starting a match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I try to avoid standing in the piss all over the floor so I guess I'm sending mixed signals to my stall neighbors but oh well

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my wife does dog agility (obstacle courses where they jump, weave, etc.) with one of our dogs and today our little dog placed first and got a blue ribbon :unsmith:

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Flikken posted:

That show is dark as gently caress.

It owns

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

What was a current political issue 10 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINM0CAysc8

lol this documentary was made over a decade ago

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ehud posted:

my wife does dog agility (obstacle courses where they jump, weave, etc.) with one of our dogs and today our little dog placed first and got a blue ribbon :unsmith:

Heterochromia in dogs is cool af.

My neighbor is a dog trainer and has an agility course in her backyard. She's also a drunk and has come over a couple times wasted to lecture me on how I should train my dog then tells me to go home when we're standing on my porch. I do not like my neighbor.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

It does but that doesn't make it any less depressing seeing Christian ISIS rise in the US.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
My friend gifted me a vape pen earlier this week, the kind that takes wax dabs, so now I can get high in movie theater bathrooms hehehee

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Man the 2000s blew

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

Man the 2000s blew

uh only if you were lame and didn't embrace the rapcore life

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

a neat cape posted:

Man the 2000s blew

Checkmate, idiot

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

a neat cape posted:

Man the 2000s blew

Yeah.

Speaking of good Iraq War documentaries, "Control Room" was really cool from speaking mostly from Al-Jazheera's perspective. You also got to see CNN reporters fume as Fox News correspondents in Baghdad got exclusive access to army press briefings.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Man the 2000s blew

It's true, compare that list of top stories to 1997:

- Burnout Princess Di edition.
- Heaven's Gate rides the comet
- Tim McVeigh gets the death sentence for the OKC bombing
- Dolly gets cloned
- Mars Pathfinder pictures
- Tobacco companies make a $400b settlement for all that evil.
- Mother Teresa dies.

The top music list though, eesh

1997 2007
Elton John, Candle in the Wind || Beyonce, Irreplaceable
Jewel, Foolish Games || Rihanna, Umbrella
Puff Daddy, I'll be Missing You || Gwen Stefani, The Sweet Escape
Tony Braxton, Un-Break My Heart || Fergie, Big Girls Don't Cry
Puff daddy, Can't Nobody Hold Me Down || T. Pain, Buy U a Drank

Movies on the other hand:

Titanic, Men in Black, Jurassic Park: The Lost World, Liar Liar, Air Force One

also: Good Will Hunting, Face/Off, Con Air, The Fifth Element, Devil's Advocate, Starship Troopers, Air Bud

Spider Man 3, Shrek 3, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

also: 300, The Simpsons Movie, Rush Hour 3, Bee Movie

---
So apparently culture died somewhere between 1997 and 2007, good lord.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 12, 2017

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Kalli posted:

- Dolly gets cloned
- Mother Teresa dies.

1997 2007

also: Good Will Hunting, Face/Off, Con Air, The Fifth Element, Devil's Advocate, Starship Troopers, Air Bud

Spider Man 3, Shrek 3, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

---

This is a fun article on repetitiveness in music. If you use the "avg. song can be reduced by 50%" as a benchmark, that year would be 1998/1999!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

This is a fun article on repetitiveness in music. If you use the "avg. song can be reduced by 50%" as a benchmark, that year would be 1998/1999!

Oh that is neat, what a weird surge at the end of the 90's.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

- Dolly gets cloned
- Mother Teresa dies.

1997 2007

---

Just because you don't like good music and movies doesn't mean culture died

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

- Dolly gets cloned
- Mother Teresa dies.

1997 2007

---

I feel like between you and Leperflesh, you guys could form one hell of a "Pop-Up Video" series about literally everything.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I forgot completely about the Simpsons movie even though I remember liking it now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

I feel like between you and Leperflesh, you guys could form one hell of a "Pop-Up Video" series about literally everything.

I just went to boxoffice mojo and the billboard lists and copied the top ones down and then for movies I started scanning for entries that would bolster my argument while ignoring ones that didn't like any good internet argument.

That's also how you find out that Bee Movie grossed over 3x as much as There Will Be Blood.

Also I was googling political events since I remembered a chunk of them but then I remembered that the original listicle was the December 31st year in review newspaper article, so I just looked up a few of those. Which also led me down a rabbit hole of reading about the Unabomber (caught in '96), and being reminded that prison was actually a significant step up in accommodations for him, and he ended up BFF's with Timothy McVeigh

Kalli fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 12, 2017

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Went to the doctor today and basically got told to manage the pain the best I can for the rest of my life so I was already in a bad mood due to the pain and that just helped.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Doctors and medicine suck.

I can't remember the last time I went to a doctor and they actually contributed to resolving a health problem for me or a family member.

Sorry Swickles.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SundayMoney posted:

Went to the doctor today and basically got told to manage the pain the best I can for the rest of my life so I was already in a bad mood due to the pain and that just helped.

what is the problem i can help you

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SundayMoney posted:

Smoke weed every day

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I can't remember the last time I went to a doctor and they actually contributed to resolving a health problem for me or a family member.

Sorry Swickles.

Last two times I've taken my mom to the doc they cleared up her respitory infection and her cardiologist said her heart is in really good shape for somebody who had theirs stop for an unknown amount of time before cpr started so I have a good opinion of going to the doctors

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

weird Asian candy posted:

Shameless plug for a podcast I listen to called Thirty Twenty Ten which goes through a lot of stuff like this. Its really good

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Sorry Swickles.
All depends on the Dr. I had an awesome Dr who was the first to like, totally understand what was going on with me and actually fix problems or tell me what I needed to do to avoid them. Naturally, he moved away after 2 years. And we just found out our awesome pediatrician is moving in July, which is a bummer because she's awesome with our son.

My biggest gripe is hospitals. There are two chains here in Austin - St. Davids and Seton. Have only had great experiences with Seton and two gently caress ups at St. Davids.

The first was them missing my wife's broken vertebrae after she fell on the stairs because they didn't a full back x-ray. It took 5 loving months of pain before someone re-xrayed and found the vertebrae which was only able to be re-inflated and cemented to about 80%.

The other gently caress was my son in the PICU last fall during 3 weeks of constant ear infections. He had a reaction to anti-biotics which gave him a rash, but they thought it may be Kawasaki's so they had to do ECG's to confirm it wasn't that. The loving awful tech they had on call that weekend spent like, an hour taking images and didn't get a single useful image. We had to go to a cardiologist to get him cleared where magically a competent person was able to get all the images they needed in under 10 minutes, while keeping the kiddo calm.

All these words are meant to say if you're in Austin and have to go to an ER and aren't like, on the verge of death, avoid St. Davids at all costs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Neurologists saved me from death/brain damage OR DID THEY :haw: and ENTs fixed my comically hosed up deviated septum so overall my attitude towards doctors is pretty positive. Breathing through the nose is cool and good, also not being dead I guess but whatever.

You want to talk about bad luck though, my experience with orthopedic doctors is just lol. 3 different chuckle-fucks mis-diagnosed my shoulder joint problems repeatedly over 5 loving years before figuring out I had partial tears in my rotator cuff and labrum.

The suggested remedy was an operation they said would take a year to fully recover from and completely incapacitate me for 8 weeks. LOLWUT

So I just started trying different things and now I have minimal pain and can loving rock climb without really aggravating it. But by all means, sure, let's disassemble my upper torso in the hopes it ends up better 12 months down the line, you absolute rear end in a top hat.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 12, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

corporate wide email an hour and a half ago: hey, if you support <UK Hospital> DO NOT connect to them right now.

...and now I see https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/12/hospitals-across-england-hit-by-large-scale-cyber-attack

Oh.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hey i heard barron trump hacked the gibson and now my work email is telling me not to trust my family

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

what is the problem i can help you

I was diagnosed with TMJ about 15 years ago and I've been dealing with a ton of pain. But thankfully the joint itself doesn't have a ton of wear on it so it's all in the muscles of it. Which he told me after 15 years of it, getting appliances aka mouth guards for it and taking meds along with muscle stretching exercises is about all I can do. It's just frustrating is all.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Smoke weed every day

It's been something I have reached a conclusion about trying. Unfortunately my state is not one you are supposed to have it in but at this point I'm too the point of wanting some relief.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SundayMoney posted:

Chronic pain syndrome? My sister's got that, it sucks. She eventually got a nerve block but that was only temporary. :(

e. whoops preempted. I don't know much about TMJ.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hey builder/aquarium nerds, are organic/natural pools actually cool and good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibqv_uoI3O4
http://www.organicpools.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_pool

The sustainability nerd and hippy heart in me really want to like this. Main concerns, how long does it take the biosystem to reach equilibrium?

Seems like 1-3 years but also what does equilibrium actually mean here? Does it change every time humans and/or very good dogs go swimming in it?

There's also claims that because of the circulation/pump action that mosquitos won't make babies in it, but the circulation seems minimal?

You can't have a pool with anything living in it that's also sanitary. I'm not gonna go super in-depth but I worked in all areas of the pool industry at some point and there is no earthly way to keep a pool clean without some form of chemical or poison. You're not even supposed to get into a pool without showering because of how filthy people are. Can you imagine what a dead bird or mouse is going to do inside a natural pool?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You can't have a pool with anything living in it that's also sanitary. I'm not gonna go super in-depth but I worked in all areas of the pool industry at some point and there is no earthly way to keep a pool clean without some form of chemical or poison. You're not even supposed to get into a pool without showering because of how filthy people are. Can you imagine what a dead bird or mouse is going to do inside a natural pool?

That must be why everyone who swims in a pond dies instantly.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

i believe you mean organic pool, pleb

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Chronic pain syndrome? My sister's got that, it sucks. She eventually got a nerve block but that was only temporary. :(

e. whoops preempted. I don't know much about TMJ.

No worries, considering you know a little bit of everything, it's too be expected some things can slip through the cracks.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

music is better now than it has ever been

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I know swimming in nature is fun but arguing against the existence of waterborne pathogens is real weird.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

They are infamous for serpents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Holy poo poo the SF paralegal that just quit probably would have been fired soon because all the work that I'm taking over from him is... entirely wrong or he straight up didn't do it. Like, major regulatory issues. gently caress me.

• Locked thread