Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TTBF posted:

Anyone have experience with the Shield TV? I'm looking to ditch the old PC I've been using as a HTPC in favor of a NAS and something that can stream 4k like the Shield. I've not used it or anything like it though, so I'm not sure if the $100 upgrade for the pro's larger harddrive and SD card access is worth it or pointless with the NAS. Any advice?

Whole lotta Shieldchat in the Cutting Cable thread, FYI. It's a well regarded box.

If I didn't have a wife-proofed Xbox/Kinect setup, I'd be running a Shield in the living room.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I already asked in the other thread but I thought I'd ask here as well since I suppose the question is more hardware related than Kodi related:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Has anyone personally tried Kodi on Android on that new Pine64 yet?
I'm curious about how well it will work for 4K streaming.

Theoretically the new ras pi 3 would work for 4K, but practically it's lovely. I'm just looking for a project really. Something I could build and maybe throw at the guest room TV or whatever.
I already plan on getting an Nvidia Shield, and I've got a Sony Google TV that I tossed back in the box when we bought our new Samsung TV.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

TTBF posted:

Anyone have experience with the Shield TV? I'm looking to ditch the old PC I've been using as a HTPC in favor of a NAS and something that can stream 4k like the Shield. I've not used it or anything like it though, so I'm not sure if the $100 upgrade for the pro's larger harddrive and SD card access is worth it or pointless with the NAS. Any advice?

It's loving outstanding and you don't need the hard drive addition, it supports all sorts of external storage. 2015 Shields do MicroSD/USB, 2017 models other than the Pro only have the ports for USB external storage. The Shield is the best STB on the market and the most versatile, you won't regret it. I even use mine for emulation and streaming PC games.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Theoretically the new ras pi 3 would work for 4K, but practically it's lovely. I'm just looking for a project really.

The Pi3 definitely does not do 4K. The new Pi-compatible thing Asus has coming does, but not the real thing.

My Pi3s crash hard if you try to play 4K content on them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Alright, I'm gonna grab the Shield TV then. Thanks for the recommendations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I assume this would be the thread for Kodi discussion? I've just started messing with it on a spare Windows 10 desktop and it's blowing my mind. I've got a couple of movies loaded up but I'm primarily using it as a music player.

Anyway, what I'm mainly wondering is how to get that slick artwork for artists (not albums) all set up. I have the "Artist Slideshow" add-on enabled, and it looks like there are options to automatically download art based on metadata. Beyond that I'm hitting a wall though, and decent instructions are surprisingly hard to find online. Anyone have some tips on this, or know of a decent step-by-step guide? I've turned up some info on MusicBrainz tagging and an app called Picard and a site called fanart.tv and there seems to be no master idiot's guide to bring all these things together. And I'd like to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start messing with my tags and stuff (which I've been pretty :spergin: about maintaining up to this point).

VVVVVV e: whoops! Tried the forums search and everything too. Sorry then, I'll see myself out. :tipshat:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 31, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Minidust posted:

I assume this would be the thread for Kodi discussion?

Nope!

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Hey I am sorry if this is the wrong thread but I am having trouble finding help.

So, a little while ago I posted in the Mac thread about turning an external HD into a NAS or just about being able to access a computer's files from my iOS devices.

Couldn't really find a solution, since Plex, which had been perfect, was disrupted once I purchased a VPN service.

I think I have found a solution but kind of wanted to see how secure it was and if there are any holes in the plan:

I turned on Remote Login on my Mac Mini, added my user account, and then copied that info into GoodReader's server connector and all my files were all there, just like I would want.

The problem is, this is only working when I'm connected to my wifi. Any help here would be appreciated. Mostly want to know how to access outside my network but also have it be secure and doable with a VPN on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GoldfishStew posted:

Hey I am sorry if this is the wrong thread but I am having trouble finding help.

So, a little while ago I posted in the Mac thread about turning an external HD into a NAS or just about being able to access a computer's files from my iOS devices.

Couldn't really find a solution, since Plex, which had been perfect, was disrupted once I purchased a VPN service.

I think I have found a solution but kind of wanted to see how secure it was and if there are any holes in the plan:

I turned on Remote Login on my Mac Mini, added my user account, and then copied that info into GoodReader's server connector and all my files were all there, just like I would want.

The problem is, this is only working when I'm connected to my wifi. Any help here would be appreciated. Mostly want to know how to access outside my network but also have it be secure and doable with a VPN on.

Did you post in the Plex thread? It's probably still your easiest choice - VPN shouldn't affect it THAT much.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Will do! Thanks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have an issue where their Harmony remote shuts off the cable box even though they've told the app not to ever do that when setting it up?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have an issue where their Harmony remote shuts off the cable box even though they've told the app not to ever do that when setting it up?

It's probably HDMI CEC doing that. Check your tv settings.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

tuyop posted:

Also a recent update of my Nvidia Shield turned on HDMI-CEC power control.

Was quite confused as to why my Harmony profiles stopped working.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I'm sure CEC works great for some people with certain combinations of devices but I personally think it is a concept straight from Satan's tech minions designed to gently caress things up and confuse people.

The update on the Shield that turned it on behind the scenes resulted in tons of hilarity. In my case it actually kept my PJ from turning off when I shut down my Harmony/Shield activity because it would get two conflicting commands from IR and CEC. Drove me nuts until I found it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

I think that's why it was happening before we got the Harmony but I turned that off. Now with the Harmony it only happens sometimes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ixian posted:

The update on the Shield that turned it on behind the scenes resulted in tons of hilarity. In my case it actually kept my PJ from turning off when I shut down my Harmony/Shield activity because it would get two conflicting commands from IR and CEC. Drove me nuts until I found it.

You're more confident than I for enabling CEC on your projector. Every time my power goes out, when it comes back my Chromecast, Fire Stick, and Raspberry Pi have a race to see which one can turn on my bedroom TV first. I definitely don't want that happening on my projector, especially when there's a storm and the power may go on and off repeatedly.

Input switching automatically is nice, but I don't like it having power control and unfortunately most devices don't really have any options aside from on/off.

A CEC firewall of sorts might be a cool feature for a receiver or high-end HDMI switch. Change the network topology from a bus to a selective bridge.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Okay, I've had an HTPC for a few years now. Here's the build:

ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
Corsair Force Series 3 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F60GB3A-BK
Win10
Kodi v.whatever

This has worked fine up until now, but it doesn't have the power to handle h.265 encoded material. Anything encoded with that just chunks and breaks up when playing it back.

Anyone have a recommendation for a micoATX board/CPU/video combo I could just drop right in in place of what's in there now?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A Shield.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Can I just point a Shield to my remote directories and have it do the same stuff that Kodi does?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Phanatic posted:

Okay, I've had an HTPC for a few years now. Here's the build:

ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
Corsair Force Series 3 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F60GB3A-BK
Win10
Kodi v.whatever

This has worked fine up until now, but it doesn't have the power to handle h.265 encoded material. Anything encoded with that just chunks and breaks up when playing it back.

Anyone have a recommendation for a micoATX board/CPU/video combo I could just drop right in in place of what's in there now?

I don't have a recommendation for standard parts but I was in a similar situation with an E-350 recently and decided going to Intel Kaby Lake was worthwhile because there's a bunch of integrated codec stuff on the chip. I was looking at the Intel NUC with an i3-7100U for $294 (+need to add SSD and ram) until I saw this super cheap laptop with the same CPU, plus it has its own screen, 4gb of ram and a hard disk included for $350:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1IO3QW/

I wouldn't use it as a laptop since the all plastic construction is gonna break, but sitting on the shelf by my TV it's been great. It may not be for everyone since it won't fit your usual home theatre asthetic but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Phanatic posted:

Can I just point a Shield to my remote directories and have it do the same stuff that Kodi does?

You just install kodi on the shield from the play store. Works basically like when you have it installed on a pc.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Thanks. Even works fine with my wireless keyboard, all I had to do was plug in the USB widget. That was easy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My ubuntu Intel NUC HTPC was on and running, I logged in to the GUI and it left the GUI and showed some left to right text which was frozen so I rebooted. It booted up and said I needed to run fsck manually so I did that. Now it hangs during boot. Here are two of the screens after booting where it froze. Nothing really jumps out at me. Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/a/PDGez

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

My ubuntu Intel NUC HTPC was on and running, I logged in to the GUI and it left the GUI and showed some left to right text which was frozen so I rebooted. It booted up and said I needed to run fsck manually so I did that. Now it hangs during boot. Here are two of the screens after booting where it froze. Nothing really jumps out at me. Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/a/PDGez

You're getting read fails on the hard drive. Hope you've got backups.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

wolrah posted:

You're getting read fails on the hard drive. Hope you've got backups.

Yeah I figured it was the drive. Just had a NAS drive die recently too. No backup of this though. All it has on it is ubuntu, plex, sab, sonarr, and couchpotato. I'll just have to reconfigure them which is annoying, but no loss of data. Have a recommended backup solution for an ubuntu server so I wouldn't have to setup those programs again next time?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

Yeah I figured it was the drive. Just had a NAS drive die recently too. No backup of this though. All it has on it is ubuntu, plex, sab, sonarr, and couchpotato. I'll just have to reconfigure them which is annoying, but no loss of data. Have a recommended backup solution for an ubuntu server so I wouldn't have to setup those programs again next time?

I don't actually have a backup solution on my HTPC. It doesn't contain anything really important and it's not really hard to re-setup the basic apps so I don't bother. If it completely goes up in flames it'll probably take me an afternoon to go from zero to all back to normal as far as configs go and the loss of media is more of a minor inconvenience than anything. Unless I was actively watching backlog content I probably wouldn't even notice.

A good start would be to just back up all of /etc/ and /home/, plus whatever media you consider worth backing up.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Whole lotta Shieldchat in the Cutting Cable thread, FYI. It's a well regarded box.

If I didn't have a wife-proofed Xbox/Kinect setup, I'd be running a Shield in the living room.

Do you know how the Live TV and DVR stuff is with Shield? Right now the only reason why my HTPC is still on is for Live TV. I've messed around with some Live TV plugins for Plex and while they work they are also kind of poo poo. The WMC HTPC has been pretty drat rock solid as a cable box but I wouldn't mind replacing it altogether.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

wolrah posted:

I don't actually have a backup solution on my HTPC. It doesn't contain anything really important and it's not really hard to re-setup the basic apps so I don't bother. If it completely goes up in flames it'll probably take me an afternoon to go from zero to all back to normal as far as configs go and the loss of media is more of a minor inconvenience than anything. Unless I was actively watching backlog content I probably wouldn't even notice.

A good start would be to just back up all of /etc/ and /home/, plus whatever media you consider worth backing up.

Ok. All the media is on my NAS with double redundancy so if I manage to lose all that data, I probably have other things to worry about like my apartment being on fire.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Out of nowhere my contrast is blown out on my Nvidia card when using my projector (monitor is fine). All other sources are fine on the projector. Color is set to limited on the control panel, as well as the projector. I can tame it with the contrast adjustment on the Nvidia control panel, but I shouldn't have to drop it down to 25 from the stock 50. I also lose the black floor when doing that. I did a clean sweep of the driver and reinstalled with no luck. Whats going on here?

edit: problem goes away when I select "use default color settings" under resolution. Which is fine for now until I find out what happened as this locks me in RGB mode and I'd rather be in ycb.

edit2: welp found it. My Integral was set on the wrong automix mode and it hosed with Nvidia's detection or something.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 27, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is there any reason to get a Steam Link if I have a Windows HTPC? I guess maybe the other controller support? The official page for it says PS3/4 controllers are in the unofficial support list, but I'm seeing on the top google wiki page when looking for controllers that they work just fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

Is there any reason to get a Steam Link if I have a Windows HTPC? I guess maybe the other controller support? The official page for it says PS3/4 controllers are in the unofficial support list, but I'm seeing on the top google wiki page when looking for controllers that they work just fine.

PS3/4 controllers work fine on PCs too. I wouldn't see any obvious reason to choose a Steam Link unless your HTPC gets shut down and takes a meaningful amount of time to boot.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I use inputmapper to get a PS4 controller to work on the PC.

https://inputmapper.com/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks, I'll just stick with the HTPC then.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
Had to reinstall win10 on my NUC and I've forgotten what power settings I had setup. I've configured windows to auto login but it still locks itself. Can anyone share their config, I want it to go to sleep but not require a pass on wakeup.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I use inputmapper to get a PS4 controller to work on the PC.

https://inputmapper.com/

I actually paid to download xpadder before I used input mapper. Luckily for me, inputmapper didn't play nice with Steam / FFVII for some reason so I was still justified in using xpadder.
Supposedly Steam will support the DS4 natively. sometime in the futuretechnically already does :rolleyes:.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 10, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I actually paid to download xpadder before I used input mapper. Luckily for me, inputmapper didn't play nice with Steam / FFVII for some reason so I was still justified in using xpadder.
Supposedly Steam will support the DS4 natively. sometime in the futuretechnically already does :rolleyes:.

I have never gotten steam to work with a DS4 on my Mac. Seems to work fine with windows though. Stupid Steam.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Had an ongoing problem with screen tearing in Netflix with the i5-2500's integrated graphics.

Re-enabling Aero on win7 fixed it.

:ughh:

I was fighting this for months.

Also just confirmed yesterday I've been piping 2 channel stereo to my 5.1 surround sound receiver for like 3 years. Motherboard doesn't have a SPDIF header so I'm just gonna buy a sound card.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Why have you not been running Aero

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mewse posted:

Also just confirmed yesterday I've been piping 2 channel stereo to my 5.1 surround sound receiver for like 3 years. Motherboard doesn't have a SPDIF header so I'm just gonna buy a sound card.

There was a long time in the bad old days where a sound was pretty much mandatory, and then onboard sound became pretty competitive for most applications for about a decade in the early 00s or so, and now we're full circle back to on-board audio being unsupported shite, and needing a sound card again.

The more things change...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just FYI, most sound cards have lovely spdif codec passthrough support too. My $130AUD Sonar U7 24/192 audiophile wankbox only wants to do pcm 2ch for some reason (but my av receiver supports multichannel in thankfully*)

*But not HDMI obviously