Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
My partner is trying to remember a book he loved (and found emotionally devastating) as a child. He read it in English in the Netherlands in 1996, if that helps. This is the plot he remembers: a boy travels back to the age of dinosaurs and befriends a bunch of them, including a mother and baby stegosaurus. The book ends with him escaping back to his own time just before the meteor hits, and finding a dig site with the fossils of his stegosaurus friends. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
There were some pages of a hilariously terrible (self published?) sci fi novel that someone dug up awhile ago. It screamed bad 70's mil sci fi, featuring casual racism and quotes like, "Know your place, spaceman!"

It was only a few pages but I remember it being really funny.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My friend just hit me with this one, and I have no idea.

His mom read it a few years ago, so it's not a recent release. It's probably a YA book, and it's about a magic stone (that might be blue?) that has healing/magic abilities. The protag's friend breaks his arm falling out of a tree and the stone heals him and vibrates while it's doing it. Said broken arm guy takes it to a geology? lab and they do a laser test on it to identify it, but it ends up causing the laser to explode. There might have been a line about the laser costing multiple millions of dollars. The kid is being chased by some evil dude who wants the rock, and I think the evil dude killed the rock kid's dad.

Any ideas?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My friend just hit me with this one, and I have no idea.

His mom read it a few years ago, so it's not a recent release. It's probably a YA book, and it's about a magic stone (that might be blue?) that has healing/magic abilities. The protag's friend breaks his arm falling out of a tree and the stone heals him and vibrates while it's doing it. Said broken arm guy takes it to a geology? lab and they do a laser test on it to identify it, but it ends up causing the laser to explode. There might have been a line about the laser costing multiple millions of dollars. The kid is being chased by some evil dude who wants the rock, and I think the evil dude killed the rock kid's dad.

Any ideas?

this feels kinda smug to say but i googled a little and well

ya novel laser rock explode

fwiw full text search is enabled for it & i just verified theres also a broken arm in the novel

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, there are a shitton of "magic rock" novels out there.That's not the one she's looking for though. The laser in question wasn't being fired at people like a gun, just a lab equipment sort of thing. Also, wasn't a space novel, more like urban fantasy without the sci fi stuff listed.

I appreciate the help though :)

Edit - Just got the answer via text message, his mom finally remembered it. It's The Twelve Stones by RJ Johnson. https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Stones-Book-ebook/dp/B0070CSKE4 if you are interested.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 27, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I thought about a book I read when I was 10? Today while watching mst3k. I know it's not A Sound of Thunder for sure but what I remember at the start of the novel sounds like it is, and then weirdness

A company provides time travel safari's to hunt dinosaurs and some people fall off and get stuck there. At the same time some teenagers wandering the woods somehow also fall back in time and they meetup with these crazy humanoid dinosaurs. There's some sort of attempt at communication after being held captive for some number of days where they are presented with a bowl. One of the teenagers notices flecks of blood in the bowl and realises it as some sort of ritual and cuts herself to add blood to the bowl and then they are trusted by the dinonoids. Later on the two groups meet and some how the teens get back to the modern era and so do some dinosaurs?

Am I crazy? all I can find online is A Sound of Thunder but this was a thick rear end book that my teacher let me count as 4 books for our read 100 books in the school year challenge thing she made us do.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sixfools posted:

I thought about a book I read when I was 10? Today while watching mst3k. I know it's not A Sound of Thunder for sure but what I remember at the start of the novel sounds like it is, and then weirdness

A company provides time travel safari's to hunt dinosaurs and some people fall off and get stuck there. At the same time some teenagers wandering the woods somehow also fall back in time and they meetup with these crazy humanoid dinosaurs. There's some sort of attempt at communication after being held captive for some number of days where they are presented with a bowl. One of the teenagers notices flecks of blood in the bowl and realises it as some sort of ritual and cuts herself to add blood to the bowl and then they are trusted by the dinonoids. Later on the two groups meet and some how the teens get back to the modern era and so do some dinosaurs?

Am I crazy? all I can find online is A Sound of Thunder but this was a thick rear end book that my teacher let me count as 4 books for our read 100 books in the school year challenge thing she made us do.

Not familiar but was a bit bored and found some possibilities:
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/features/dinosaurs-science-fiction/
https://timetraveltimestwo.com/2016/02/15/12-dinosaur-time-travel-books-for-young-readers/
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/dino-out-of-time-6-sf-novels-about-humans-meeting-dinosaurs/

Any of those sound right? Bonus is this one that isn't it but I haven't read: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XB2VZW6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Going through the one list I found a book called Footsteps of Thunder that sounds like it is what I am looking for. Cover is familiar as well. Thanks!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit - Got it, First Activation and Second Activation by D.A. Wearmouth & M.P. Wearmouth

This one was an ebook, chances are it was a kindle unlimited one at that. Part of a series.

Book 1 was about a pair of brothers who end up on a plane that comes over from the UK I think and lands, but they don't have any sort of help landing, no air controllers, etc. Both brothers are military and they go into the airport and realize everyone has gone insane and they are all killing each other/themselves.

Turns out it was some kinda signal being broadcast to make everyone crazy.

Book 2 was them finding out some hideout for one of the main dudes with the signal and I can't remember how that ends, but I just thought of the book and realized I'd like to know if the series continued.

They'd have been published sometime in the last 5 years or so.

I think the title was like THE SIGNAL or THE OPERATION, and the second book had a similar title.

Also, I think it was a pair of authors who wrote it, not just one dude.

Any helps appreciated on this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 25, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm looking for a book that I may or may not have completely made up.

I thought it was an Irish black comedy that was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize last year and that I either/alternately got it mixed up with The Sellout or a boring crime novel before finding out it sounded interesting. Obviously several or most of these things are impossible and I am insane.

I can only assume I saw it in Waterstones and it was getting popular press around Booker time and that I've mixed it up with both The Sellout and His Bloody Project at various points but this is not making it very easy to either find or explain.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Not a book but a quotation, which I can only partially remember and which I cant seem to google:

"the sound of human voices raised in harmony reeks of ignorance".

The only words I'm even halfway certain of in there are "reeks" and "ignorance"...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

yaffle posted:

Not a book but a quotation, which I can only partially remember and which I cant seem to google:

"the sound of human voices raised in harmony reeks of ignorance".

The only words I'm even halfway certain of in there are "reeks" and "ignorance"...

Maybe rather than a book it was a r/atheism post

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
God knows, but I remember my father using it and he wasn't really a reddit guy...
That it was him suggests it might be from anything at all, from Homer onward.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Trying to remember a comic book story:

A superhero is sent to the nearest habitable planet in suspended animation. While en route, mankind develops FTL travel and, by the time the guy gets there, he's become a laughing stock.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's sort of the story of Vance Astro from Guardians of the Galaxy.

He got put into a special suit, and launched towards Alpha Centari, but it turned out the tech to just loving, go there and not be in suspended animation got invented like 50 years later and they just either couldn't find him or forgot about him.

He landed to celebrations and whatnot instead of the magical wondrous new world he was expecting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mister Kingdom posted:

Trying to remember a comic book story:

A superhero is sent to the nearest habitable planet in suspended animation. While en route, mankind develops FTL travel and, by the time the guy gets there, he's become a laughing stock.

Same thing happens to the protagonist of Zelazny's Isle of the Dead, but several hundred years before the events of the story.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Along those lines, it was a book where the technology was such that you could save your memories up to that point, and then if you died that clone would be activated again. One of the characters rejects some dude and saves a backup, and then goes on some mission where she dies. She gets a dying message back to her activated clone that says she really should have hooked up with that dude, and the clone is "ahaha no that guy sucks" and dismisses it. Also (pretty sure the same book) two dudes who drowned in a swamp get resurrected, and are horrified to discover that people thought they were lovers and in the interim between recovering the bodies and having the technology to resurrect them, made a giant statue out of their dying moments

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

RentACop posted:

Along those lines, it was a book where the technology was such that you could save your memories up to that point, and then if you died that clone would be activated again. One of the characters rejects some dude and saves a backup, and then goes on some mission where she dies. She gets a dying message back to her activated clone that says she really should have hooked up with that dude, and the clone is "ahaha no that guy sucks" and dismisses it. Also (pretty sure the same book) two dudes who drowned in a swamp get resurrected, and are horrified to discover that people thought they were lovers and in the interim between recovering the bodies and having the technology to resurrect them, made a giant statue out of their dying moments

The first part sounds like "The Phantom of Kansas" by John Varley. The protagonist keeps getting killed but can only afford to back herself up once a month.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's sort of the story of Vance Astro from Guardians of the Galaxy.

He got put into a special suit, and launched towards Alpha Centari, but it turned out the tech to just loving, go there and not be in suspended animation got invented like 50 years later and they just either couldn't find him or forgot about him.

He landed to celebrations and whatnot instead of the magical wondrous new world he was expecting.

That's the one. Thanks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

A similar thing was played with i Walter Jon Williams Voice in the Whirkwind. Where PMCs offer clone insurance before going on missions. Dude wakes up 20 years after the mission to find he's a clone that never had the brain tapes updated and the world has changed. Now he has to find his killer.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Forever War does similar stuff with the protagonist returning to earth and freaking out about gay sex and feminism once every few hundred years

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Forever War does similar stuff with the protagonist returning to earth and freaking out about gay sex and feminism once every few hundred years

Freaks out is a bit of a strong term. I mean it's literally just, "I'm a Space-Vietnam Space-Vetran dealing with the Space-Summer-Of-Love after by Space-Tour-of-Duty"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hughlander posted:

Freaks out is a bit of a strong term. I mean it's literally just, "I'm a Space-Vietnam Space-Vetran dealing with the Space-Summer-Of-Love after by Space-Tour-of-Duty"

Beyond that, at least part of Mandella's reaction is due to the reaction of the new-humans' view of heterosexual relationships. It's just a weird section.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
science fiction authors weighing on sexuality and feminism ranks slightly below electric ball torture on the list of things i'd like to experience

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

chernobyl kinsman posted:

science fiction authors weighing on sexuality and feminism ranks slightly below electric ball torture on the list of things i'd like to experience

It's not The Left Hand of Darkness, but it's really not that bad.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Have you not read Margaret Atwood, Ursula K. LeGuin, James Tiptree, Octavia E. Butler, Charlotte Perkins Gilman.....?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
In The Forever War it's not "Ew what there's gay people wtf" it's more "hey due to population the world government strongly encouraged homosexuality and now hetero people are in the minority and viewed as weird, better shrug my shoulders and try to find my old girlfriend". Especially considering that it was written in the 70's that's incredibly unoffensive compared to other books written even today.

...I hate to see someone denigrate The Forever War unfairly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Short story, probably read it 5+ years ago but it could easily have been from any time in the past 50 years.

Two (or more) scientists are working on a time machine. They have it working to the point that they've sent subatomic particles milliseconds into the past. One of the scientists thinks that they should scale up dramatically. The other counsels going slowly and points out inconsistencies in the locations of the particles when they're sent back in time. Some kind of disagreement escalates to the point of the first scientist getting into the machine and sending himself back in time -- only to appear in space and die, because the further back you go, the further away you appear. (It's unclear whether this is a fundamental property of time travel, or because of the orbital motion of the earth, or what.)

It may have been presented in a frame story of a post-incident report or the surviving scientist explaining what happened to investigators or the like, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 16, 2017

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I've got two books that I checked out from the library back in the 90s. I believe both are YA but Google hasn't been able to help me at all.

One involves a kid who is trying to/was dared to complete this run through back yards in his neighborhood at night. There's various reasons why this is difficult, like fences, people who are quick to call the police, maybe dog(s). I believe he's trying to do this with a friend who dies during the story, or wants to do it because a friend died and wants to do it in memory of that person. I also vaguely remember a love interest character and a lot of British slang/phrases being used.

The other is about a school and kids start going home sick or not coming to school (I believe the main character believes/is told that several kids were out due to, specifically, appendicitis) and the kid becomes paranoid that there's some sort of conspiracy going on. If I remember right, he also has a lot of paranoia that he will end up the same way. Eventually, I think he does have something happen to him, but it turns out all the kids who went home from school and didn't come back are now....mutants? Super heros? Aliens? They were gifted somehow and the pain they went through (may) have been their "powers" manifesting. EDIT: 30 seconds after posting this, I found this one. It's The Dark Side of Nowhere by Neal Shusterman.

Describing these stories makes me feel crazy and wonder if I cobbled them together from 50 other books I read as a kid. Someone please tell me I'm not a madman.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 18, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Several Goblins posted:

I've got two books that I checked out from the library back in the 90s. I believe both are YA but Google hasn't been able to help me at all.

One involves a kid who is trying to/was dared to complete this run through back yards in his neighborhood at night. There's various reasons why this is difficult, like fences, people who are quick to call the police, maybe dog(s). I believe he's trying to do this with a friend who dies during the story, or wants to do it because a friend died and wants to do it in memory of that person. I also vaguely remember a love interest character and a lot of British slang/phrases being used.

That's almost certainly David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, although it was published in 2006 so you couldn't have gotten it in the 1990s. Not YA, although the protagonist is a teenager.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Selachian posted:

That's almost certainly David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, although it was published in 2006 so you couldn't have gotten it in the 1990s. Not YA, although the protagonist is a teenager.

I'll have to pick up a copy of this, because while it's also familiar, there's a ton of stuff on the Wikipedia that I don't remember at all. This could very well be it, but I really felt like I was much younger when I read it. Then again, I devoured my local library back then, so a lot of stuff runs together in my memory.

Thanks for the help!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Having real trouble with this one, but I read a series of fantasy novels way back when I was 14 or 15; I'm 32 now and I don't know when the books where originally finally published, though it may have been in the early 00's or late 90's. They depicted a culture very similar to medieval Scottish clan system, and the main character in the first book was named Mouse, whose name was later changed to (I think) Kaelan as he found out he was the son or grandson of a Laird or some such.

I don't know if this is enough to go on, but I believe that the author was a woman. I had enjoyed the books and I'm hoping that they won't end up having been YA fantasy novels as I'd maybe like to read them again.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

life is killing me posted:

Having real trouble with this one, but I read a series of fantasy novels way back when I was 14 or 15; I'm 32 now and I don't know when the books where originally finally published, though it may have been in the early 00's or late 90's. They depicted a culture very similar to medieval Scottish clan system, and the main character in the first book was named Mouse, whose name was later changed to (I think) Kaelan as he found out he was the son or grandson of a Laird or some such.

I don't know if this is enough to go on, but I believe that the author was a woman. I had enjoyed the books and I'm hoping that they won't end up having been YA fantasy novels as I'd maybe like to read them again.

The Rune Blade series by Ann Marston.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

The Rune Blade series by Ann Marston.

That's it! Thanks!

Unrelated, but I have no idea how y'all figure this out so quickly.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

DasNeonLicht posted:

I was studying late one night in the library, and picked up a book on a shelf to read for a distraction. It was a collection of contemporary short stories by a single author. I'm sure he is gay, and I'm almost certain he's British.

The story is about a married couple who are on honeymoon, and as the story goes on, we slowly learn that the man is gay, and the woman is a lesbian. They got married for citizenship purposes (I think), and to please their respective families. The dude goes out, gets drunk, and has sex a lot, while the gal stays in and reads, or something. I forget what resolves the story, but at the end, the couple has hetero sex with each other, start a family, and live happily ever after. Pretty strange story, but pretty cool, too.

Reflections on sexual orientation and society are pretty interesting to me, so, I wish I could remember the author and the story. Does anyone know this author/book/story?

Re-upping from way back. Still kind of wonder about this one. Anyone have any leads?

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
Hey, I've got a weird request. When I was in elementary school, I read a novel that looked like it was written before 1980 about a version of Europe being invaded by Saracens in weird, magic infused world war two pastiche. If that rings any bells for anyone, I'd be grateful, because I've been looking for 20 years.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

It's a YA book about a girl who gets/buys a "Barbie" and it comes to life. The doll is not evil or anything but it is really spoiled and demanding. If I remember right the doll looks like Barbie but is obvs called something else due to copyright

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

failing forward posted:

It's a YA book about a girl who gets/buys a "Barbie" and it comes to life. The doll is not evil or anything but it is really spoiled and demanding. If I remember right the doll looks like Barbie but is obvs called something else due to copyright

Probably Caitlin's Holiday or its sequel Doll Trouble by Helen Griffith.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Action Jacktion posted:

Probably Caitlin's Holiday or its sequel Doll Trouble by Helen Griffith.

Eyy! Caitlin's Holiday! That's it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A teenager befriends an escaped intelligent rat or mouse. The rodent has this story about a horrible black river with monsters on it; we later discover that the river is a road, and the monsters are vehicles, like the teenager's motorcycle, which makes the rodent reassess their friendship with the teenager. Must have read this 20-30 years ago.

This is not Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, although it does involve rats or mice made intelligent by some lab experiment, and it's not The Mouse and the Motorcycle, although it does feature a rodent and a motorcycle.