Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't care about what people do in /tells and frankly don't particularly want to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Strawberry Panties is the warrior of light and you will show her respect.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I can't blame a bard too much for wanting to stay as far away from Wanderer's Minuet as they can.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

homeless snail posted:

So what you're saying is that ERPers should be specially shielded from criticism?

Absolutely not. I demand ERP parsers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Attorney at Funk posted:

Absolutely not. I demand ERP parsers.

d's ps?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

DDPS.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Must have at LEAST twenty recommendations on f-list to be invited to my PF.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone who RPs in this, or any other game, as an adult human is doubtlessly hosed Up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My entire life is RPing as an adult human.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone who RPs in this, or any other game, as an adult human is doubtlessly hosed Up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truly the most hosed up of all are people who roleplay in an MMO which has a specific in-game status for people who are looking to RP. They are just not playing the game properly.

Not like I, the mature adult human who spends hundreds of hours punching a space monster in the face for a shiny bird.

(shiny bird is worth it.)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I agree, why RP as an adult human when you could RP as an adult catboy or lizardgirl.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

homeless snail posted:

Does it take you longer than 2 seconds to go from one button to another on a gamepad? Or well 1 second if you're weaving, but still the GCD is very generous in this game and it isn't any harder to press a button every GCD on a gamepad than a keyboard.

Well yeah, for the GCD. But there are often many abilities on their own CDs, which come off together with the GCD, requiring you to activate a few or more in rapid succession.

With toggleable hotbars, I can see how this is a bit more feasible.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Truly the most hosed up of all are people who roleplay in an MMO which has a specific in-game status for people who are looking to RP. They are just not playing the game properly.

Not like I, the mature adult human who spends hundreds of hours punching a space monster in the face for a shiny bird.

(shiny bird is worth it.)

generally, yes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Roleplaying is Epic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

So what you're saying is that ERPers should be specially shielded from criticism?

I don't think it's cool to harass anyone.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you're like ten or something, yeah

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

That's weird, I don't. And really if it bothers you so much you can just blacklist them, or even report them if it's too obscene.

If it actually bothered me I might but it's pretty sad and hilarious and I think you're on the wrong side of the ERPers vs idling on the fat chocobo argument tbh

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
wow has (or had), to my knowledge, the same stance on occluding character models. strangely, it seems like you're only not allowed to do this to role-players.

i'm not weird so I don't go out of my way to antagonize strangers having their own fun in a game, i just think it's strange.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think it's cool to harass anyone.

But Fister, they're harassing a weird, harmless, easily ignorable creep. That means it's GOON JUSTICE and not a weird two year hate boner.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

It's funny and fun to gossip about it to an extent but following them around is too much for me.

My attention is better spent playing Triple Triad for hours on end like an addicted grandma at the slots

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I've been thinking about coming back and trying the game out again, but has leveling gotten any easier? Last time I played, if I wanted to level a new class it meant grinding out endless Fates (unless you had some leves stores up, then it was grinding those out instead). Has that changed at all?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Silvergun1000 posted:

I've been thinking about coming back and trying the game out again, but has leveling gotten any easier? Last time I played, if I wanted to level a new class it meant grinding out endless Fates (unless you had some leves stores up, then it was grinding those out instead). Has that changed at all?

I'm not sure as far as grinding goes, I just level my alts through Vanu and Bug Guy quests and roulettes. It's a good enough mix of content and rewards with roulettes that I don't go crazy doing it. :)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Nope! They promised boosts at some point in the future.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silvergun1000 posted:

I don't know about easier but I found leveling a really simple process. The only real grind is 50-60.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Oh right there's POTD now too for leveling!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Silvergun1000 posted:

They increased the 1-50 armory bonus for alt jobs to be 100% instead of 50%, plus the novice ring that gets you an extra 30% from 1-30, plus the heavensward jobs start at 30. Leveling roulette is also way better XP than FATEs and leves.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Depends on how quickly you want to level. Duty roulettes are once a day, but work well for leveling a new class as a gradually progressing thing at a casual pace. No idea what you do if you want to rush a new class up to 60 and never play your existing high-level classes, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gizmo Chicken posted:

The battle system changes live letter is on May 22. Hype thrusters activate.

I am hyped to read about how they won't make monk useful in raids, or they'll make it hilariously broken and OP because they'll let Matsuno balance it and he'll decide "let's make it like FFT's monk job and give them aoe raise/heal/esuna abilities in addition to high DPS."

I still maintain that Mantra should have also included an effect to dump all of your MP and split it evenly among the party members you buff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Make Iron Jaws instant cast, that's all I want

E: I know that'd be unbalanced, I don't give a poo poo

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 12, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

vOv posted:

They increased the 1-50 armory bonus for alt jobs to be 100% instead of 50%, plus the novice ring that gets you an extra 30% from 1-30, plus the heavensward jobs start at 30. Leveling roulette is also way better XP than FATEs and leves.

They'll probably do something similar for SB, with 51-60 getting 100% bonus. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1-50 bonus got increased to 150% or 200%.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't remember monk being very good, but maybe I'm just comparing it to Beowulf and Arithmetician or something

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't remember monk being very good, but maybe I'm just comparing it to Beowulf and Arithmetician or something

Monk is one of the best classes in FFT, it just doesn't stand out in your mind because it isn't broken good, it just operates along the upper echelon of the game's established power structure.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so, what I said, then

fft is such a fun game and it's hilarious how huge a range of difficulty it can have just based on how much you read about it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Monk had a really great skill set with lots of variety and utility, but the really nice thing about it was that barehanded attacks with max bravery were insanely powerful in the early to mid game before you got the really good weapons.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i can't wait for samurai's weapons to break during weaponskills, so you need to make a new relic every omega attempt

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Later on, Monk has more problems with elevation than other strong classes, and Chakra isn't strong enough as a heal to matter most of the time, but it's quite good thru Ch 2 and still effective in Ch 3.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

They'll probably do something similar for SB, with 51-60 getting 100% bonus. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1-50 bonus got increased to 150% or 200%.

Yeah, I'm guessing this'll happen.

Also yeah you can do Palace of the Dead, which is a separate zone where you gain XP super-fast but that doesn't transfer outside of the Palace. Doing 10 floors gets you an alright chunk of 'real' XP, and it's a good way to see what your 60 abilities look like, though everything dies so fast you don't get to see what it's 'really' like. It's also good for DPS because the queues don't take roles into account so you can get a 3 or 4 DPS party.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

vOv posted:

That's cool. So I've got a 60 from when Heavensward launched, about how long would it take me to get a lvl 1 to lvl 60 without doing any serious FATE and leve grinding?

Also what's POTD and is that good XP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Arist posted:

Make Iron Jaws instant cast, that's all I want

E: I know that'd be unbalanced, I don't give a poo poo

heh look at this baddie

• Locked thread