Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Thoatse posted:

female model is in... I'm sure Sandi had nothing to do with the art direction

the crowd goes mild

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6au2dn/female_character_model/

I'm going to assume CIG thinks that female character model will pass muster because their backers have never seen a woman in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Other games are trying to target Star Citizens by having them out themselves so they can get special marketing attention.

Of course Shroud of the Avatar is also a skip and a jump away from scam territory.

I used to really like the Origin guys too, but these days I can't help but feel like EA knew exactly what kind of people they really were, and honored them by calling their store "Origin". These guys just love taking money for digital nothing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

Remember when that developer fell off his bike and broke his wrist , And it delayed everything by 4 weeks ?

The sad part was when Sandi got to play her favorite part of Misery in order to help this lie be a reality.

Though if I recall, this mystery guy with the injury never came forward, and was never discovered.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently theres an actual game behind SOTA so somehow less of a scam. Also I see the jpgs are actually in game or will be next patch when they sell them.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Kosumo posted:

Is now the right time to ask, when doing it Star Citizen T-Pose style, which is the right way, the male or the female on top? (I need to know so I can let the hooker know for my next role playing session)

Thanks

The safeword is 'are you hungry for apples?' /Jerry Smith

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

the crowd goes mild

Literally looks like a loving Down's syndrome Linda Hamilton.

This is pretty terrible and does not make me want to play a game where I look better in real life than the characters do, and it's not some horrible zombie game where the characters are supposed to look bad.

Also nothing says "I work in an office" quite like the totally random rubberized thumb gloves.

Well. Good job Star Citizen. You did it... almost anyway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm going to assume CIG thinks that female character model will pass muster because their backers have never seen a woman in person.

That jpeg makes a RealDoll look lifelike.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Apparently theres an actual game behind SOTA so somehow less of a scam. Also I see the jpgs are actually in game or will be next patch when they sell them.

SOTA and SC are similar in that they're the efforts of a has-been and a never-was, both attempting to nail their feet permanently to the conveyor belt of progress in order to recapture a past glory (one real, one imagined), and both of them are trying to drag their fans off the cliff with them.

They are different in that while SOTA is happy to live in it its little walled-off gaming senior assisted-living facility, tidily sequestered from the real people, SC is trying to drag the rest of the industry down with it. Fortunately, Chris Roberts is so loving inept that not only is he unable to do anything right, he's also equally unable to do anything wrong - hence PC gaming is safe.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 13, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Friday is always a good day for Star Citizen.

Those goddamn schedule reports lol.

Like they cut one of the three goddamn moons out and most of the posts are how happy they are ship reworks are getting done.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Friday is always a good day for Star Citizen.

Those goddamn schedule reports lol.

Like they cut one of the three goddamn moons out and most of the posts are how happy they are ship reworks are getting done.

It's like some 2017 version of the Ship of Theseus.

How many reworks can a ship undergo and still be the same ship?

(It's a trick question - none of the ships exist or ever will.)

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Levski is the poo poo they showed at Gamescom 2016 and said represented playable 3.0 assets.

They're not going to have it in their game a full year later.

Cutting Levski cuts out the one mission provider they've shown talking. That's at least 50% of the promised missions and content gone and leaves only the Ortwin character which is also nowhere near complete or even remotely presentable.

:lol:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Excuse me. Its not CANCELLED TROLL. Its just now a stretch goal for the 3.0 patch. Maybe this time a stretch goal will make it in. And if not it is COMING you GODDAMN GOON

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hoping Derek can step in and bring some sense to this situation.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
How many more space superiority fighters can they make? Thats already a group thats over full, but whales keep buying them.

Also hilarious they flat out admitted that they're tracking how many of each ship is owned to balance them around that figure. Gotta make the rare poo poo super good so more people buy them.

:negative:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It's not the 95% of nothing that CIG puts out that convinces me this is a scam. It's not the fake schedules, the non-existent ships, the made-up technology, the lies, the ineptitude, the insanity of the backers - the literal encyclopedia of incompetence that CIG shows on a daily basis with their utter failure to produce anything at all.

That's not what gives this away.

What gives CIG away is the 5% of the work they have done. Every spot where the rubber hits the road: animations, graphics, performance, gameplay feel, models, physics, and all that poo poo. The extremely limited work that went into tangible assets - the things you can experience in the PU.

That 5% is loving atrocious. It's absolute bargain-basement quality crap in every way, made even more confusing when the utter poo poo on display is served alongside the phrase "Chris is a perfectionist." No sane person, in any reality, looks at a single thing CIG has pumped onto the PU and thinks "this looks good." There is simply no way that hundreds of people in multiple studios given $150 million pump out something this utterly and indescribably poo poo. Nothing is as it was described - it's cobbled together poo poo that was released as the most barebones illusion in history. Thruster physics, boarding, independent gravity, "you control the man who controls the ship" - all provable lies. None of that is on the PU - the PU is a lovely mod that barely runs, and doesn't even qualify as a tech demo.

It's the Potemkin Village of PC games.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not the 95% of nothing that CIG puts out that convinces me this is a scam. It's not the fake schedules, the non-existent ships, the made-up technology, the lies, the ineptitude, the insanity of the backers - the literal encyclopedia of incompetence that CIG shows on a daily basis with their utter failure to produce anything at all.

What gives CIG away is the 5% of the work they have done. Every spot where the rubber hits the road: animations, graphics, performance, gameplay feel, models, physics, and all that poo poo. The extremely limited work that went into tangible assets - the things you can experience in the PU.

That 5% is loving atrocious. It's absolute bargain-basement quality crap in every way, made even more confusing when the utter poo poo on display is served alongside the phrase "Chris is a perfectionist." No sane person, in any reality, looks at a single thing CIG has pumped onto the PU and thinks "this looks good." There is simply no way that hundreds of people in multiple studios given $150 million pump out something this utterly and indescribably poo poo. Nothing is as it was described - it's cobbled together poo poo that was released as the most barebones illusion in history. Thruster physics, boarding, independent gravity, "you control the man who controls the ship" - all provable lies. None of that is on the PU - the PU is a lovely mod that barely runs, and doesn't even qualify as a tech demo.

:five:

You succinctly nailed it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Have they even managed to white box or grey box or whatever the term is they use in half the ships they've sold ?

And they keep piling up the development dept

I don't care how many times Ben talks about the pipelines being improved. It still takes time and money to make a new ship jpeg

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Have they even managed to white box or grey box or whatever the term is they use in half the ships they've sold ?

And they keep piling up the development dept

I don't care how many times Ben talks about the pipelines being improved. It still takes time and money to make a new ship jpeg

The main part of concern (not for us, we are sitting in the box watching this shitbox unfold) are margins and engineering debt.

Tipping point was the Genesis and the Mixmaster 5000. But CIG doesn't give a gently caress.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Chris Roberts quoted JFK.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
unironically

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Good post, friend. I agree. :hfive:

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

the balls on that guy

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

:perfect:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Literally looks like a loving Down's syndrome Linda Hamilton.
I now really want to see Terminator 2 with an all Down's syndrome cast, and I feel terrible for finding that thought funny.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EmesiS posted:

Chris Roberts quoted JFK.

He thinks he's Steve jobs, elon musk, And George Lucas rolled into one pudgy thumb perpetually wearing black

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Seriously big "hold your PC hostage" malware hit the world today.

Perfect time for CRoberts to sail clear of this mess.

GreenElephant
Mar 22, 2016

TheAgent posted:

lol its great when your lead programmer has basically done nothing of note since doing QA for realtime worlds six years ago

:lol:

speaking of realtime worlds, maybe chris should have paid more attention to this post-mortem from 2010...

quote:

Another part of the problem, it seems, was the money. There was simply too much of it, and no one had come up with a plan on how to spend it effectively. "Having too much money is as much a curse for start-ups as having too little," says Nicholas Lovell of business blog Gamesbrief. "Instead of identifying clear market opportunities, focusing resources and worrying about delivery, too much money gives you the licence to meander, experiment and play, and the absence of direction can be masked by the money for a very long time.

quote:

Certainly Dave J has great, strong, ambitious ideas for his games. But he's a big believer in letting the details emerge along the way, rather than being planned out beyond even a rudimentary form. For most of the lifetime of APB, he was also CEO of the whole company, as well as creative director. His full attention was not there until it late in the day.

quote:

"There wasn't enough discipline," confirms our source. "We got all this money, and it made us relax, when really it should have focused our attention on making sure we had a really good approach to managing the project, to ensuring the design was exact what it needed to be, to focus testing early on, and just proving that we were doing the right thing, rather than taking the old 'it'll be done when it's done' attitude." And then suddenly, Electronic Arts, the game's publisher, wanted the game out. Not an unreasonable demand after five years in development.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Thoatse posted:

the crowd goes mild

Okay this is bugging more then it should, but what is that grey speck on her collarbone? I think it's a model error and you're seeing the wall behind her.

Also, good job CIG, between the low res textures and uncanny valley model you've made something that almost looks as good as Sims 3.

Edit: Also a big :lol: at the light coming in through all the gaps in the back wall

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 13, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Uh-oh, someone who speaks reddit please remind me what "page not found" means. Seems like Derek's alt is in trouble

https://www.reddit.com/user/OldSchoolCmdr

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 13, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

I now really want to see Terminator 2 with an all Down's syndrome cast, and I feel terrible for finding that thought funny.

Make-a-Wish for the T-1000.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

Uh-oh, someone who speaks reddit please remind me what "page not found" means. Seems like Derek's alt is in trouble

Yep, he's banned. Although they get overturned a surprising amount of the time, since Reddit's admins are total crap.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Viscous Soda posted:

Yep, he's banned. Although they get overturned a surprising amount of the time, since Reddit's admins are total crap.

Yeah, looks like they killed his account after his latest effort post about financials. I have it open in my browser cache and will take
a screen shot tomorrow when I am not on mobile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6auyeh/star_citizen_lets_talk_financial_accountability/dhhp6bv/

Won't it be hilarious if someone saw our silly Discord nicknames (e.g. mine is TheRealOSC) and used it to "prove" that I was him? LOL!!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

trucutru posted:

Goodbye my friend it's hard to die.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
We did it reddit!

I can imagine the deluge of "loving DICK SHARt is POstTINFG As SOmeoNE ELSE!|" the admins received.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, looks like they killed his account after his latest effort post about financials. I have it open in my browser cache and will take
a screen shot tomorrow when I am not on mobile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6auyeh/star_citizen_lets_talk_financial_accountability/dhhp6bv/

Won't it be hilarious if someone saw our silly Discord nicknames (e.g. mine is TheRealOSC) and used it to "prove" that I was him? LOL!!

OK., I captured his final thread. I have no idea what grounds they have for doing that, but hopefully he will appeal it with Reddit.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

banned. citizens probably reported him as a pedophile a hundred times or something.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

You're a warlord in the know, so was there ever a C&D issued over the hello kitty ripoff?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Come Wait My Lord!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

OK., I captured his final thread. I have no idea what grounds they have for doing that, but hopefully he will appeal it with Reddit.

I read all of those words. For sure.