Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
It pleased me no end to see that the map and skill graphics for the role playing game the crew were playing came straight from Arx Fatalis.

Game owns but the the military operators near the end were a bit of a drag to play against. I just ended up using my jump booster to skip past them to get into the command shuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there really no better way to install Neuromods than stabbing 2 extremely long needles into your eye?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At least you don't have to hold it there for five minutes, like the documentation in-game says you do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some of the high-end mods you get cost like 8-10 neuromods too, so Morgan just sits there for an hour stabbing needles into his/her eye one after another just to become slightly more proficient at a skill they are already really good at. What a fun and exciting future we have to look forward too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If I could stick needles in my brain to slow time right down, or gain telekinesis, I think I'd go for it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

CJacobs posted:

Some of the high-end mods you get cost like 8-10 neuromods too, so Morgan just sits there for an hour stabbing needles into his/her eye one after another just to become slightly more proficient at a skill they are already really good at. What a fun and exciting future we have to look forward too.

I assumed you just used them all for the same five minutes. Just a real busy time for your eyeholes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the Mimic Detection Chip really not work for Greater Mimics? :ohdear: (Early-ish game spoiler)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If I could stick needles in my brain to slow time right down, or gain telekinesis, I think I'd go for it.

Well sure but Morgan has been very attuned to the usage and science of neuromods already as per the game's introduction. Imagine how many a normal person who is not used to them already would have to use.

Jack Trades posted:

Does the Mimic Detection Chip really not work for Greater Mimics? :ohdear: (Early-ish game spoiler)

It does not. There's a v2 of that chip with that functionality.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack Trades posted:

There is an upgraded version that does what you are looking for

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This game is weird for me. I love it but at the same time I can't really play it for an extended session. It's like my brain has to be in the right place to play it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is an upgraded version that does what you are looking for

Just tell me where it is. Please.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CJacobs posted:

Well sure but Morgan has been very attuned to the usage and science of neuromods already as per the game's introduction. Imagine how many a normal person who is not used to them already would have to use.

I don't know, I mean the first time you ever use one in the game, that's the first time for Morgan too as far as they're concerned.

Maybe without the disaster, they'd have developed the iMod or something less grisly.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately I think scope/suit upgrades are mostly randomized? I got it pretty late in the game

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Maybe without the disaster, they'd have developed the iMod or something less grisly.

No pun intended, I'm sure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unfortunately I think scope/suit upgrades are mostly randomized? I got it pretty late in the game

Ugh. I know the chip I was talking about is static so I was hoping this one would also be static.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Jack Trades posted:

This was where it was for me, but I've heard rumblings about some things being random. At the very least this location should get you a high-level schematic as well as a chipset.
Hint: Play the video in your office and look around for a whiteboard. Also try to glean where the recording is taking place on the ship.
Answer: Head alllllll the way back to where you started the game, down in the sim labs in Neuromod Division. There should be an office down there with a safe, the code to which is viewable by maneuvering around Morgan's Looking Glass message.

While you're there, you might want to check out Volunteer Quarters if you don't feel you have enough going on in your brain.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 12, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No pun intended, I'm sure.

Google's NexusMod would be diverse and cheap, but randomly poke the needles through the back of your head.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 12, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

f#a# posted:

This was where it was for me, but I've heard rumblings about some things being random. At the very least this location should get you a high-level schematic as well as a chipset.
Hint: Play the video in your office and look around for a whiteboard. Also try to glean where the recording is taking place on the ship.
Answer: Head alllllll the way back to where you started the game, down in the sim labs in Neuromod Division. There should be an office down there with a safe, the code to which is viewable by maneuvering around Morgan's Looking Glass message.

While you're there, you might want to check out Volunteer Quarters if you don't feel you have enough going on in your brain.

Checked both those places ages ago. That one Chip must be random then.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, I found that chip before I had any way to equip it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I wish they had at least made it so you didn't have duplicate chipsets, In my first game I had like 4 dupes and you can't even double up on them to do something like eliminate leverage pick up time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Caidin posted:

I wish they had at least made it so you didn't have duplicate chipsets, In my first game I had like 4 dupes and you can't even double up on them to do something like eliminate leverage pick up time.

You sure? I think I had multiple chips reducing psi power cooldown at one point, but maybe I was just wasting slots and they weren't actually providing a bonus beyond the first one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You sure? I think I had multiple chips reducing psi power cooldown at one point, but maybe I was just wasting slots and they weren't actually providing a bonus beyond the first one.

I had one that specifically noted that it did not stack, so if it doesn't mention it then it probably does?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anytime I try to equip a duplicate it does not go in the slot and nothing happens

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RatHat posted:

Is there really no better way to install Neuromods than stabbing 2 extremely long needles into your eye?

I mean yeah, if you need to get stuff into your brain, can't you just go through the forehead or nose or something?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mymla posted:

I mean yeah, if you need to get stuff into your brain, can't you just go through the forehead or nose or something?

Technically speaking it's easier to get to your brain through your eye. Although it looks gruesome, there are no nerve endings in your eye so you won't really feel the pain there. I guess the needles close up the wound coming back out? Hell if I know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why couldn't they just put a plug or something on the base of your neck if you're gonna get neuromods? Needing surgery to get them is a barrier sure but they're designed to be for only the rich and wealthy to be able to afford them anyway so what's one more step?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Yu family just loving love Dead Space 2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

We'll put that question up there with "Why is memory loss when you remove a mod an issue, why would you ever want to stop having one".

Do you wake up one day and think "Y'know, gently caress the piano. I'm going to undergo a dangerous procedure so that I don't know how to play anymore"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I finished my Hard mode run, I'm going to start concurrent Nightmare empathy playthroughs and a normal typhon only murder everyone forever run and play whichever one seems more fun.

The one thing I think would have really served the game and could have very easily added a few hours of content would be another neuromodded up bad guy, a la' Samus-X from Metroid Fusion. I know the Nightmare sort of fullfills this role, but one thing people mentioned was missing the body horror of Bio/system shock, so it would have been cool if we ended up with a spliced up co-worker whose all twitchy and veiny and smoky and wasting tons of people and they get progressively more spliced up as you go through the game. Hell, even set it up so that if you go Typhon only they are more humanoid and tech oriented to make it more like they are the hero and you are the boss monster.

Regarding the ending I think the game this is the most reminiscent of is actually MGS 2. Talos 1 incident was real and your playthrough is a reconstruction of memory data created from video and audio logs from the wreckage or research satellites. I think the ending is cool because the story that you just experienced still happened and was real.

I definitely correctly assumed that you are a Typhon but had no idea about the greater simulation and don't really get any of those clues. I also skipped at least 4-5 big side quests and a few rooms.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We'll put that question up there with "Why is memory loss when you remove a mod an issue, why would you ever want to stop having one".

Do you wake up one day and think "Y'know, gently caress the piano. I'm going to undergo a dangerous procedure so that I don't know how to play anymore"

I mean, it kind of isn't. Maybe if you have some unforeseen complications with the mod, but there's a note you can find in a few places explaining that they're gonna market the mods to the public as "cannot be removed".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I liked the email in the sales department that was like, "yeah, we need to tell everyone they're permanent, because everyone will get freaked out about the amnesia side-effect of taking them out"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Crowetron posted:

The Yu family just loving love Dead Space 2.

Shows how much of a wimp Isaac was, strapped into the machine freaking out as a single needle is lowered into his eye. Morgan looks at the neuromod injector for a second and then sticks it in like it's nothing. Then does it 100 more times.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Some things I caught in the crew quarters on my most recent playthrough:

Morgan has a document in his room about personhood, and it mentions some controversial case on earth where some dude made a robot version of himself who acts as his attorney.

Morgans actual room has the exact layout of his simulation apartment.

Alex has a treadmill in his room cause he's too embarrassed to run in the fitness center with everyone else. There are some emails about it ha.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Technically speaking it's easier to get to your brain through your eye. Although it looks gruesome, there are no nerve endings in your eye so you won't really feel the pain there. I guess the needles close up the wound coming back out? Hell if I know.

The eye is squishy, so you can in fact get past it and into the brain without needing to pierce the eyeball. This is how they used to do lobotomies.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Shows how much of a wimp Isaac was, strapped into the machine freaking out as a single needle is lowered into his eye. Morgan looks at the neuromod injector for a second and then sticks it in like it's nothing. Then does it 100 more times.

At a certain point, it just becomes a fetish.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

n4 posted:

Some things I caught in the crew quarters on my most recent playthrough:

Morgan has a document in his room about personhood, and it mentions some controversial case on earth where some dude made a robot version of himself who acts as his attorney.

Morgans actual room has the exact layout of his simulation apartment.

Alex has a treadmill in his room cause he's too embarrassed to run in the fitness center with everyone else. There are some emails about it ha.

His treadmill also has a bunch of boxes stacked on it so he isn't using it anyway.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Push the fat man

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Feels like that plot point only exists so they could have the twist at the beginning. I'm very early in the game though so maybe they do more with the memory stuff.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

When you're still working on and testing them, it might be. And who knows what the effects of just pumping neuromods into you are? The way neuromods are handled seems like a gameplay concession in some regards. I got the impression that they were specific skillsets per injection, not just "shoot a bunch of goo into your brain to then get better at stuff." So if the gameplay mapped to the fiction a little better, you'd have to find/make the "Hacking 1" neuromod and use that to get Hacking 1, instead of just eyeballing a bunch of them back to back while thinking really hard about hacking. Either that, or unseen to the player Morgan just calibrates the modules he/she has somehow to read as "Hacking 1; vol 1-4" without going into it. In my opinion, its a good choice so that you can actually properly use them to explore, but it does mean that how they work mechanically for the player might not actually be a good source for how they work in-universe.

Also, some emails talk about Alex/management using them for their amnesia effects as an employee control mechanism. As far as marketing them goes, I'm inclined to agree with the in-universe sales dept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just assumed Morgan's position in Neuromod Development allows him access to the entire Transtar connectome database, so once he has a neuromod injector loaded with exotic material he can flash the firmware with whatever connectome he wants to load into himself.