Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gwent question: Can I still get Lambert's special card after the battle, or should I pop over and play him real quick before proceeding to the Isle of Mists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Similarly, I never really did much with runes/mutations in my first playthrough - is it worth beelining for that (just finished the main game on my second)? Any suggestions for doing so?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i'm playing witcher 1 right now (for like, the 100th time or something), i own and have read all the books last year and read lady of the lake officially recently and so it made sense to finish off the story via the games. i modded witcher with FCR, rise of the white wolf, a custom made limited HUD and some bloom poo poo for some reason. i also am playing it via a loving steam controller on my big screen and had some how managed to make a profile that is stupidly convoluted with all kinds of mode shifting and yet is now second nature i can no longer play with keyboard and mouse and it owns.

i highly recommend playing the games after reading through the books if you haven't done so already, so much poo poo that was causally thrown out before that is blowing my mind now that i have context, for example, in witcher 1 when you get your silver sword, first time it was like "oh thats cool" and now i have context of the prior owner, its like "HOLY poo poo MAN" or the little random comments people make and lots of good lore poo poo. its making me play geralt as he was in the books. it's great. weirdly tho, its taking me way longer playing this time than all the other times? i've usually 100% it after 80 hours, and i'm at 80 hours now on steam but i'm just about end chapter 3. :|

let me tell you something tho, with FCR that chapter 2 boss fight can suck my dick. i can't believe i punished myself through that horseshit.

edit: oh and the swamp really isn't that bad, just make sure you put object names on permanently for that section and don't stop to fight everything that moves and keep saving every 10 seconds.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 12, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm playing witcher 1 right now (for like, the 100th time or something), i own and have read all the books last year and read lady of the lake officially recently and so it made sense to finish off the story via the games. i modded witcher with FCR, rise of the white wolf, a custom made limited HUD and some bloom poo poo for some reason. i also am playing it via a loving steam controller on my big screen and had some how managed to make a profile that is stupidly convoluted with all kinds of mode shifting and yet is now second nature i can no longer play with keyboard and mouse and it owns.

i highly recommend playing the games after reading through the books if you haven't done so already, so much poo poo that causal poo poo that is blowing my mind now that i have context, for example, in witcher 1 when you get your silver sword, first time it was like "oh thats cool" and now i have context of the prior owner, its like "HOLY poo poo MAN" or the little random comments people make and lots of good lore poo poo. its making me play geralt as he was in the books. it's great. weirdly tho, its taking me way longer playing this time than all the other times? i've usually 100% it after 80 hours, and im at hours now on steam but i'm just about the end chapter 3. :|

let me tell you something tho, with FCR that chapter 2 boss fight can suck my dick. i can't believe i punished myself through that horseshit.

edit: oh and the swamp really isnt that bad, just make sure you put object names on permanently for that section and don't stop to fight everything that moves and keep saving every 10 seconds.

It's been a year or 5 since I played but I'm pretty sure I finished it completely including all the sidequests I could find after 60 hours. Howlongtobeat seems to agree with me.
I'll definitely have to replay it sometime now that I have read all the books, just to laugh at how they recycled Ciri's story without actually including her for some reason, if nothing else.
How good is FCR? Can you still burn everyone's face off with Igni all the time?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GrossMurpel posted:

It's been a year or 5 since I played but I'm pretty sure I finished it completely including all the sidequests I could find after 60 hours. Howlongtobeat seems to agree with me.
I'll definitely have to replay it sometime now that I have read all the books, just to laugh at how they recycled Ciri's story without actually including her for some reason, if nothing else.
How good is FCR? Can you still burn everyone's face off with Igni all the time?

i don't think so, but i've barely put any points into any of my signs yet. fcr is a good challenge but surrounded with crazy bullshit unless you know exactly what everything does and you don't pre-gimp geralt during chapter 1 and 2, read the complete manual and maybe install a version prior to 1.6a. also anything other than easy fcr is asking for trouble. you get potions in game that can change the difficulty on the fly tho, you also have to make sure you install the right difficulty pack because there are even more insane harder modes made for people who beat dark souls blind with one hand on the controller types. this is not an exaggeration of fcr either :stare:

its fun to spice things up tho if you are blasting through vanilla hard without any sweat. alot of the abilities changed and 3 red meteorites are no longer the best sword until sihil either. you gotta pump stats into dex no matter what and you gotta always prepare before almost any fights, make sure you have the right potions and right oils for the right poo poo. if you google for fcr you'll find lots of posts from enraged people who couldn't figure out the changes and got stuck at the beast and javed/professor fight. i myself, got stuck at the javed/professor fight for a long loving time because i gimped geralt out, i only picked it back up the other week and finally did it via a mix of crazy potion usage, food, drink (to avoid pain stun) and using quen at the right moment and also making use of the buggy engine that sometimes makes javed stand still and getting REALLY LUCKY with a stun from aard. chapter 3 has been smooth so far tho hahah. planning on hitting witcher 2 with fcr2 and then witcher 3 with that similar mod which the name escape me right now.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 12, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Hmmm, don't know if that'll be worth it then since I already thought the combat was super fine. That sounds like a lot of fiddling around to get it right. Especially since I probably forgot how to not die by now so I'll gently caress up immediately on the hardest difficulty.
Thanks for the write-up :)

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I loved Witcher 3, but I prefer Witcher 2 for a number of reasons:

1. Story. Witcher 2 is a more down-to-earth story about the political ambitions of various competing factions, with an interesting B-plot about extradimensional kidnappers. Witcher 3 is a primarily a story about finding your daughter and saving the world, with the political stuff as more of a backdrop. Despite the Wild Hunt being the primary antagonist, they have barely any development or buildup. Contrast this with how the kingslayers are treated in Witcher 2.
2. Tighter experience. Witcher 3 is full of poorly-utilized systems like crafting and leveling that don't really add to the experience, but seem to be there simply because it's expected of an open-world game. Witcher 2 had these systems as well, but they didn't feel nearly as out-of-place. I found myself upgrading my gear in Witcher 2 quite frequently, whereas in Witcher 3 I ignored the 99% of the crafting and loot that wasn't Witcher schematics. Witcher 2 had leveling, but you were always at the appropriate level for whichever act you were in, so it never really affected anything. In Witcher 3, Geralt, a famous monster-slayer with a century of experience, is incapable of beating a handful of half-naked bandits simply because the game arbitrarily deemed them higher level.
3. Greater reactivity. The Roche/Iorveth choice completely changes how the game plays out and how you view the plot. The closest Witcher 3 comes to a choice of that magnitude is the Unseen Elder/Land of Fables choice at the end of Blood & Wine, and that's still not even close.

Witcher 3 was an improvement in many ways, but Witcher 2 will always have the top spot in my heart for the above reasons.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
ummmm uhhhhhhh errrrmmmmm soooooooo

ciri is geralt's and yennefer's daughter????????????????

How the gently caress did I play and beat witcher 3 and not know this?

Twat McTwatterson fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 12, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

ummmm uhhhhhhh errrrmmmmm soooooooo

ciri is geralt's and yennefer's daughter????????????????

How the gently caress did I play and beat witcher 3 and not know this?
She isn't. Both witchers and sorceresses are infertile. You could definitely argue that they 'adopted' her though.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

doesnt geralt get ciri trough that obscure witcher rule where they can ask for whatever was fated or somesuch?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yes, Ciri is Emhyr's daughter as clearly stated close to the beginning of the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And as far as I know, the "Witcher ciri" dialogue at the end of Blood and Wine was a mistranslation into English. Drinking Black Blood should have killed her since she hasn't undergone the trials of the grasses. In Polish she just mentions how she outsmarted the vampire.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

She isn't. Both witchers and sorceresses are infertile. You could definitely argue that they 'adopted' her though.

that's what I thought....Playing through witcher 2 right now is explaining so much but also adding so much I don't know... like Geralt's death in Rivia... what the gently caress is all this about? Don't tell me yet though... Because Yennefer is trying help him and then the "ashen-haired woman" appears to get them out of Rivia, but obviously Geralt isn't dead, so what the gently caress. And that's why he has amnesia right now in W2.

Sorry, just rambling. Trying to figure it all out.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And as far as I know, the "Witcher ciri" dialogue at the end of Blood and Wine was a mistranslation into English. Drinking Black Blood should have killed her since she hasn't undergone the trials of the grasses. In Polish she just mentions how she outsmarted the vampire.

I just assumed her powers allow her to survive Witcher potions.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Twat McTwatterson posted:

that's what I thought....Playing through witcher 2 right now is explaining so much but also adding so much I don't know... like Geralt's death in Rivia... what the gently caress is all this about? Don't tell me yet though... Because Yennefer is trying help him and then the "ashen-haired woman" appears to get them out of Rivia, but obviously Geralt isn't dead, so what the gently caress. And that's why he has amnesia right now in W2.

Sorry, just rambling. Trying to figure it all out.

Read the books.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Basically Witcher 1 hosed things up story-wise because it tried to continue the plot of the books while at the same time borrowing heavily from them to the point of copy-pasting dialoge and repeating identical story beats while involving different characters...also from the books. So you have Yennefer played by Triss, an amnesia pattern that doesn't make much sense in the long run etc. By the time TW2 came out the game's writers had way more confidence and skill but still had to somehow roll with what TW1 did.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Basically Witcher 1 hosed things up story-wise because it tried to continue the plot of the books while at the same time borrowing heavily from them to the point of copy-pasting dialoge and repeating identical story beats while involving different characters...also from the books. So you have Yennefer played by Triss, an amnesia pattern that doesn't make much sense in the long run etc. By the time TW2 came out the game's writers had way more confidence and skill but still had to somehow roll with what TW1 did.

I never knew that! So the stupid amnesia plot line isn't in the books? Because that was always the thing I disliked the most about the Witcher games. Amnesia as a plot device really needs to go the way of the dodo, it's such a cheap, lazy way to write.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the video game series takes place after the entirety of the book series, them klonking geralt over the head and giving him amnesia was their way of working around him not knowing anything about the plot of the books as well as explaining away a few important retcons

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

You could definitely argue that they 'adopted' her though.

I'd argue that's the heart and soul of Witcher 3, in fact. Geralt and Yen might not be Ciri's birth parents, but they are her real parents, no matter how much time she spent in the Emperor's palace as a very young child.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Also witcher 1 was meant to be make your own witcher and not geralt until they changed it at the last minute.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stumpus posted:

I can't think of any good reason to choose Djikstra over Roche. I really want to do something different but everytime I think of this choice I get a narrative disconnect.

I would really love to see the stats on who chose the former. Does CDPR feel like this particular choice was not well conveyed?

Maybe if Djikstra had been more indispensable to me during the game. As it stood, I felt like he was not only a jerk, but the help he did give was never worth the trouble or the time spent speaking to him. Maybe if he paid me handsomely or had very specific information on Ciri that would be difficult to get elsewhere.

Something.

Counter point: there's nothing valuable about the political status quo in the North.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd side with Djikstra, mostly on the grounds of gently caress Emhyr.

Radovid's batshit crazy, and he needs to go. So it's either Emhyr or Djikstra and, as I stated before, gently caress Emhyr.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bernie would have beat Emhyr. :v:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just finished HoS. I gotta say, I expected a lot more philosophizing about the nature of being and a lot less comedic intermission weddings, heists, and haunted houses taken straight from Vampire Bloodlines. Definitely enjoyed the ride immensely though.
A couple of questions/notes:

Ending was a bit anticlimactic. They could at least have made you pick out the item that is the solution for the riddle (lol Master Mirror's riddle's solution was "your reflection", who woulda thunked it) instead of having you run heedlessly through a spooky forest and mansion. And how dare CDProjekt put in a Gwent joke, I'd have gladly beat him in Gwent to win our souls.
The nature of Olgierd's pact is still a bit unclear to me. He wished to be immortal and rich and to live life to its fullest and then also for 3 wishes on top of that to be specified at a later time? And if Gaunter's so drat all-powerful, why didn't he just fulfill the wishes himself?
Also, is Gaunter just straight-up Satan?
Lastly, the reason Gaunter forces you to lure Olgierd to the temple is plain bullshit. "I hope us three can meet again in the end" isn't any form of clause in a contract no matter how exact you take the words.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
He specified in the contract that it would only be complete if the three of them met together on the moon. It's very obvious that Olgierd was drunk when he made the pact and didn't realize that Gaunter is a master wordsmith.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I was asking for the contract with Geralt. And to me it sounded more like Olgierd was trying to make the contract impossible to complete, not that he was drunk.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The answer to all your spoilered questions is "Gaunter loves to gently caress with people who think they're clever." Olgeird thought he was clever with the moon thing, and too much of a cocky drunken rear end in a top hat to realize what he was dealing with.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

I was asking for the contract with Geralt. And to me it sounded more like Olgierd was trying to make the contract impossible to complete, not that he was drunk.

My understanding of Olgierd's pact: O'Dimm offers three wishes. To seal the deal he requires the death of a loved one, Olgierd offers his brother Vlodomir and Vlod is dead the next day. When all three wishes are completed, O'Dimm gets his soul for eternity.

O'Dimm loves rules lawyering and loving with people so obviously one of his requirements was you can't wish for more wishes. But I think Olgierd tries to outsmart him here by wishing for three more wishes to be fulfilled by a third party.

Olgierd's wishes might have been something like:

1. I want to be rich enough so Iris and I can be together. OR I want Iris to be mine forever. Something like that.
2. I want to live as if there's no tomorrow. Immortality / Heart of Stone results.
3. Three more wishes to be fulfilled by proxy and we'll meet on the surface of the moon when it's done.

Olgierd thought he was being clever with the third wish. When O'Dimm rescues Geralt from the Ofieri ship, then Geralt is tasked with being O'Dimm's proxy to fulfill Olgierd's last three wishes. That's my take, anyway.

Yes, O'Dimm is a Satan figure even if he's not the literal Satan from our world.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dude's most directly Mephistopheles from the Faust legend considering the whole plot is based on a series of convoluted Faustian bargains

I think it's more accurate to say that he is a devil rather than the devil

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fullhouse posted:

Dude's most directly Mephistopheles from the Faust legend considering the whole plot is based on a series of convoluted Faustian bargains

And because most of everything else in Witcher is a fairy tale, he's quite similar to more classical and more frightening depictions of fairies and Fae folk. He even looks more like an elf than a demon, and his name kind of reminds me of Jack O'Lantern. Like, he's almost like Rumplestiltskin playing on a much larger game.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And because most of everything else in Witcher is a fairy tale, he's quite similar to more classical and more frightening depictions of fairies and Fae folk. He even looks more like an elf than a demon, and his name kind of reminds me of Jack O'Lantern. Like, he's almost like Rumplestiltskin playing on a much larger game.

Hold onto your socks!

Gaunter O' Dimm.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Fullhouse posted:

I think O'Dimm is a specific move away from the Christian version of the Devil, i.e. Lucifer.

That's why I don't think the comparisons to Mephistopheles fit; the version of Faust I read had numerous parts where Faust had the opportunity of salvation, and the demon himself said that damnation was simply being without God. This doesn't fit with O'Dimms MO at all.

HoS obviously has more connotations with Pan Twardowski, given the references to the Moon, wishes granted, and the entertaining wordplay around where the soul can be collected.

There are many cultures that have legends about a demon granting wishes in exchange for souls. O'Dimm is simply the Witcher world's version of this. The question is left open on what exactly he is, beyond Evil Incarnate.

It would be entertaining if there was a similar character in the Cyberpunk game CDPR are making.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It'll be interesting in general what kind of story they're gonna develop completely on their own. Cyberpunk 2020 doesn't have any pre-established characters or storylines, right?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This Undvik Giant quest has to be the worst time I've spent in this game. Endlessly tracking footprints and bloodstains through awful mountains and Hjalmarr is a terrible gently caress up who killed his entire crew.

Cerys on the other hand surprised me and handled the Hym situation pretty well. So it was pretty obvious who I'd support for Queen.

Then the bears came.

That quest chain was nice but I wish it had a better conclusion. Svjaven turning on his mom on the last minute felt a bit forced, but I guess Skellige honor works in mysterious ways.

Now to do some contracts!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Undvik does drag a bit.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Undvik does drag a bit.

you can tell someone high up at CDPR really loved that setpiece because they kept bringing it back. To be fair it's really quite good

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a mod that removes the toxicity effect on Geralt's appearance? I have 2 or more decoctions going at pretty much all times and I'm getting kind of sick of Geralt looking weird and veiny all the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a mod that removes the toxicity effect on Geralt's appearance? I have 2 or more decoctions going at pretty much all times and I'm getting kind of sick of Geralt looking weird and veiny all the time.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/254/

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The weirdest part about the toxicity effect is when you go below the threshold again. Just having 3 decoctions active doesn't gently caress up Geralt's face but if I then drink a potion, the visual effect will stay until my decoctions run out, even if I burned all the toxicity from the potion.
Is this a bug or something I missed about toxicity?