Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I saw this one in person, it was cool!

Frank Viola, thank you again for the passes. My friend and I had an awesome time. We left a little early to catch the spieth group on their back 9 on tv.

We got there right before 8 in time to see Sergio's group tee off. Watched the main morning groups come through 17 and then walked around the rest of the course. Got some good souvenirs and overall would do it again, so thanks again for the passes.

I have some pics I'll post up when I get home later too.

17 green is A LOT smaller in real life than it looks on tv too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

Sunday but you have to meet me in person for me to give them too you. So I dunno how you feel about meeting a person from the internet.

Hell it wouldn't be the first time in the past few months he'd met someone from the forums for golf tickets lol

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

mattfl posted:

Hell it wouldn't be the first time in the past few months he'd met someone from the forums for golf tickets lol

Yeah, I'm glad you had a good time. I was around all day, I watched Phil, Spieth and a few others tee off from 10 Yesterday morning. Michelson hit his first tee off into the crowd.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

Yeah, I'm glad you had a good time. I was around all day, I watched Phil, Spieth and a few others tee off from 10 Yesterday morning. Michelson hit his first tee off into the crowd.

I only say that because he met me at Augusta last month lol

We saw that group tee off today. Watched basically everyone from the afternoon on the range for a while, Phil never showed on the range though.

Also, I will literally take any day off to go play that course if you ever want to, just gonna throw that out there lol

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

mattfl posted:

I only say that because he met me at Augusta last month lol

We saw that group tee off today. Watched basically everyone from the afternoon on the range for a while, Phil never showed on the range though.

Also, I will literally take any day off to go play that course if you ever want to, just gonna throw that out there lol

I need to take some lessons first. I also don't really own a pair of clubs, since the last set I did have was when I was 15 and I'm haven't played a game since 2008.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Frank Viola posted:

I need to take some lessons first. I also don't really own a pair of clubs, since the last set I did have was when I was 15 and I'm haven't played a game since 2008.

Omg ok ya, prob not the course you wanna play if you haven't played in a few years lol

I'll certainly wait till you're ready though lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Frank Viola posted:

Sunday but you have to meet me in person for me to give them too you. So I dunno how you feel about meeting a person from the internet.
As mattfl said, it's nothing new, so that works for me.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

In some WITB news picked up a set of Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons for $90 CDN today which for you Americans is probably like $50 USD. Set is just missing the 9 iron, but has an A Wedge as well as the P Wedge.

well done. my best friend / league partner / guy who badgered me into picking up this stupid game still swings his burner 2 set, swears by them. I'm pretty sure I hit them better than my SLDRs, myself.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Le Saboteur posted:

In some WITB news picked up a set of Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons for $90 CDN today which for you Americans is probably like $50 USD. Set is just missing the 9 iron, but has an A Wedge as well as the P Wedge.

Wow great deal!

I love my "new" Burner driver fwiw

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Went to Golf Town to get my dad a gift card for his birthday, came home with a brand new 60 degree 8 bounce Callaway MD3 wedge. I work all weekend so I handed my dad the gift card today then told him he can use my new wedge for the weekend to test drive it and see if he likes it and that made him even happier. :unsmith:

Also bought a dozen Bridgestone e6 Speed golf balls to try out.

And a new pair of gloves.

And some new grips.

Everything was on sale so it was surprisingly affordable, but I really didnt expect to come home with anything new when I havnt even been out to play a single round yet. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

As mattfl said, it's nothing new, so that works for me.
As a follow up, one of my friends, a former mini tour pro, lives in north Daytona beach, so I'll stay with him Sunday night and we'll play on Monday.

Lol that it takes a 6 hour drive for me to play for the first time in 9 months.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

As a follow up, one of my friends, a former mini tour pro, lives in north Daytona beach, so I'll stay with him Sunday night and we'll play on Monday.

Lol that it takes a 6 hour drive for me to play for the first time in 9 months.

Cool I just need you to email me your number at mm and I'll give you a call or ping you to coordinate.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 15, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Here's my pics from yesterday

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattfl/albums/72157683669258176

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God that's awesome. Super jealous

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Played St. James Bay today in Carrabelle. 

http://www.stjamesbay.com/p/course-tour.aspx

Great place, but you better be hitting it straight or bring a shitload of balls. 13 Tee shots with a forced carry. 8 approach shots with a forced carry. Several of those tee shots are with clubs other than your driver. Played to my handicap ( 93, Net of 74 ), but still lost quite a few balls. Basically if you miss, your ball is gone.  Don't let the length fool you, this place will test you severely. 

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 13, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

First regular round of the year today

My driver was pretty solid and I didn't get many GIR but this was largely from wanting to dial back and go easier on approaches rather than gassing up and going for it. My contact has largely stayed pretty clean so I'm happy about that. Putting still needs work but that's to be expected being fresh in the season.

Found water on 8 and trees on 9, but all in all I'm not too disappointed for just getting started on the year.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

What a beautiful course. Very envious of your day!

e. went into a Golf Town and checked out a huge variety of clubs. Loved standing over the Ping iBlades, iSeries, i200, and most of the blades. Titleist blades are sexy. Mizuno cavity backs looked weird. Confirmed my hatred for how Calloway irons lie. So many great options out there!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 14, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Callaway Epic SZ driver is starting to tempt me pretty fiercely but for now I've ordered some lead tape to experiment with my current driver. By all accounts the Epic SZ handles low heel misses very well and that's my usual miss with the driver. But the swingweight on my current one is probably way off since I trimmed down the shaft quite a bit and never added any weight to correct it. We shall see.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Walking with Rory and Jason Day's pairing.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 14, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Shot 76 yesterday with 4 3 putts, with 2 of them coming on par 4s that I drove. Taking applications for new putters.

Also, why so many people gotta miss the island green at Sawgrass? Played it once FROM THE TIPS, made a birdie. Easy.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Shot 76 yesterday with 4 3 putts, with 2 of them coming on par 4s that I drove. Taking applications for new putters.

Also, why so many people gotta miss the island green at Sawgrass? Played it once FROM THE TIPS, made a birdie. Easy.

Playing it on Tiger Woods doesn't count :)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Playing it on Tiger Woods doesn't count :)

Very proud to say that I birdied the real deal in 2010. Highlight of my summer.

Edit: like our shotlink friend in this thread, I played with 2 guys whose wives work for the tour in media relations, so they get on all the TPC courses for free. We teed off from the combo tees for every hole but 17. One guy said, "WE GONNA PLAY FROM THE BIG BOY TEES."

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 14, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Even from the pro tee, the 17th is only 129 yards today. There have been a few guys that went over the back today which really seems bad. I could see missing right with the pin where it is but going 10 yards long with a gap wedge is terrible.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Very proud to say that I birdied the real deal in 2010. Highlight of my summer.

Edit: like our shotlink friend in this thread, I played with 2 guys whose wives work for the tour in media relations, so they get on all the TPC courses for free. We teed off from the combo tees for every hole but 17. One guy said, "WE GONNA PLAY FROM THE BIG BOY TEES."

Nice!

I will say it looks a lot smaller in real life than it does on TV. The wind seems to play all kinda games with what club/distance to hit. 65 balls in the water this week! Just a wedge right :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Got low 5's from both Rory and Day. They have transferred their golf powers to me. Time to qualify for US Open.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

mattfl posted:

Nice!

I will say it looks a lot smaller in real life than it does on TV. The wind seems to play all kinda games with what club/distance to hit. 65 balls in the water this week! Just a wedge right :)

Maybe because there's just so much water and more wind because it's so exposed, I don't know. The 10th hole at a course I play a few times a year is an island par 3 that plays 120-130 usually and is slightly smaller than Sawgrass 17th, and I think I've only ever put one ball in the water. Then again I'm aiming at the center of the green regardless of where the pin is.

Josh Lyman posted:

Got low 5's from both Rory and Day. They have transferred their golf powers to me. Time to qualify for US Open.
Awesome!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Day just put 2 in the water, WTF did you do to him!?

edit: And ANOTHER on 17, jesus dude give him back his golf mojo!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 14, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Day just put 2 in the water, WTF did you do to him!?

edit: And ANOTHER on 17, jesus dude give him back his golf mojo!
No backsies!!!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Wow what a double eagle for Rafa!

Then a birdie at 17 and an awful hook that was like 30 yards into the water on 18 lol

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 14, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Then a birdie at 17 and an awful hook that was like 30 yards into the water on 18 lol
I was between 16 green and 17 tee when it happened. He threw his ball to someone in the crowd but it bounced off their hands and went into the water RIPPP.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

Isn't a double eagle an albatross?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus Christ that shot by Poulter

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus that shot by Poulter!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

What a gorgeous shot by Ian

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

daslog posted:

Isn't a double eagle an albatross?

People use both.

Jeeze poor JB Holmes

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

People use both.

Jeeze poor JB Holmes

Holmes probably cost himself a few hundred thousand dollars with that snowman. Went from tied for 10th to tied 30th lol

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My Taylor Made Spyder just showed up on my front porch. Mmmmmm

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
So speaking of Si Woo Kim, what ever happened to Anthony Kim? He was all the rage for awhile, he had like his own posse or something didn't he? I can't remember what happened to him.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

So speaking of Si Woo Kim, what ever happened to Anthony Kim? He was all the rage for awhile, he had like his own posse or something didn't he? I can't remember what happened to him.

I think the rumor is that he had a huge injury insurance policy--and he couldn't or didn't want to get over his wrist (or ankle?) injuries and just cashed it out. Could be BS though, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Huskers posted:

I think the rumor is that he had a huge injury insurance policy--and he couldn't or didn't want to get over his wrist (or ankle?) injuries and just cashed it out. Could be BS though, who knows.
It's real. Like $20 million to never play professionally again.