Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's not that Blizzard couldn't implement map vetoes, it's that they don't want to. They do the same thing in Overwatch too, literally nobody likes 2CP maps in that game but there's no way to opt out of them, presumably because they knew if players could do so nobody would ever play Anubis, Volskaya, or Hanamura ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Still makes me laugh that Hanamura is just as bad here as it is in OW

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Still makes me laugh that Hanamura is just as bad here as it is in OW

It's really not though, trust me. I'm sick of it because of the tiny rotation but it doesn't make my heart sink the way queuing into 2CP Hanamura does.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I kind of like the 2cp maps because I get tired of the payload maps. But they could do with a lot of improvement.

Six map rotation is the pits. Especially with how polarizing hots map design is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The 2CP maps are the only ones I actually like in OW. A lot of the Payload maps are terrible (King's Row).

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Fuzz posted:

The 2CP maps are the only ones I actually like in OW. A lot of the Payload maps are terrible (King's Row).

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

im glad one of the pro players is named goku so i can listen to the casters discuss how great goku is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean opinions and all but King's Row is the map everyone likes so much it's virtually guaranteed a spot in every professional tournament. It's like the default "what's a map that everyone can agree on" map.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Oh good now the thread is talking about map opinions for other games

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

We can't agree on maps in this game maybe we can find common ground in another

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Minrad posted:

my idea for map rotations: rotate out garden of terror, and then never rotate it back in. perfect map pool.

Basically this, but you said Battlefield of Eternity instead.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
If this conversation proves anything it's that a map hard veto system would severely impact the length of matchmaking as everyone would hard veto every map in the game and then complain about why it's taking so long to match.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
monthly map rotation is stupid as gently caress.

Belzac posted:

If this conversation proves anything it's that a map hard veto system would severely impact the length of matchmaking as everyone would hard veto every map in the game and then complain about why it's taking so long to match.

??? You match game THEN veto a map it's not hard

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
What if between all 10 players every map is vetoed? Do you then play on a map that got vetoed but not as much? That's not a hard veto system that's a soft one. Or are you suggesting the captain pick a map to ban and everyone else can shove it. Either way you're still going to be "forced" to play on a map you don't like.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Also unless you've made a matchmaker that supports hundreds of thousands of players you have no business telling people what's "not hard" about matchmaking.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Gears of war had a system where they present two maps, and each player gets one vote. If tie it's a coin flip. Simple.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 13, 2017

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Olaf The Stout posted:

Gears of war had a system where they present two map, and each player gets one vote. If tie it's a coin flip. Simple.

What's your definition of simple? That would take a new UI system, testing with 10 players, support for disabling in custom games, how are the two maps picked? etc etc

If your opinion on a fix ends with simple or easy you're not thinking about it hard enough.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Belzac posted:

What if between all 10 players every map is vetoed? Do you then play on a map that got vetoed but not as much? That's not a hard veto system that's a soft one. Or are you suggesting the captain pick a map to ban and everyone else can shove it. Either way you're still going to be "forced" to play on a map you don't like.

There are more than 10 maps, if you give everyone one veto this problem doesn't exist.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Belzac posted:

What's your definition of simple? That would take a new UI system, testing with 10 players, support for disabling in custom games, how are the two maps picked? etc etc

If your opinion on a fix ends with simple or easy you're not thinking about it hard enough.

Those things are all also simple.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

Gears of war had a system where they present two maps, and each player gets one vote. If tie it's a coin flip. Simple.

That's not a veto at all, and is in fact a worse system than just getting a random map.

The argument is kind of pointless considering that Blizzard already has multiple games that have functional veto systems, and that exact system is what people want to see in HOTS.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

That's not a veto at all, and is in fact a worse system than just getting a random map.

How?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If 75% of players really like Map A and 25% of players hate Map A, under your system the players that hate Map A will end up playing it more than under a purely random system. It's the complete opposite of a veto.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

garthoneeye posted:

There are more than 10 maps, if you give everyone one veto this problem doesn't exist.
I don't really like that. If, say, 20% of people hate playing on a map you'd end up almost never playing on it. It could just narrow the effective map pool down to just a few inoffensive ones.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The only other game with a veto system to my knowledge is SC2 which is primarily a 1v1 game with 3 votes and a pool of 8 maps meaning that worst case there is always two maps the players will play on so it has no impact on matchmaking.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 13, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Belzac posted:

The only other game with a veto system to my knowledge is SC2 which is primarily a 1v1 game with 3 votes and a pool of 8 maps meaning that worst case there is always two maps the players will play on so it has no impact on matchmaking.
I mean, you can have a 9 map pool with 8 or even 9 vetos per player and matchmaking wouldn't be impacted unless you wanted it to be. I'm not advocating that many vetos, but it's trivial to just ignore vetos until after the match is made and then figure it out from there. Especially if they are soft vetos and not hard bans on ever seeing the map.

Then you can either sort by least veto'd or weight maps based on veto count and pick randomly from the weighted pool. There are countless ways to do the weighting, from a threshold to eliminate the map completely to a soft "shows up half as often if all 10 players veto it and slightly more frequently if less veto it". It also gives them immediate feedback on what people like or don't like if people can veto 1 or more maps.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 13, 2017

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't really like that. If, say, 20% of people hate playing on a map you'd end up almost never playing on it. It could just narrow the effective map pool down to just a few inoffensive ones.

I don't like it either, but what do people want out of a map ban in the first place other than I always get to play maps I like and I never have to play maps I don't.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

WoW battlegrounds have vetoes while not only having to deal with healer/tank compositions but imbalanced faction populations and certain asymmetrical battlegrounds heavily favoring one faction

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You could always simply handle it as an extension of the character ban system that's already in place. The game gives you three or five maps to choose from at the start, each team gets one or two bans, whichever one is left gets picked. Do it before character selection so everyone's on the same page. It won't give every player the option to perpetually avoid every map they hate while only ever playing the maps they love but that sort of goal isn't really feasible anyway.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

You could always simply handle it as an extension of the character ban system that's already in place. The game gives you three or five maps to choose from at the start, each team gets one or two bans, whichever one is left gets picked. Do it before character selection so everyone's on the same page. It won't give every player the option to perpetually avoid every map they hate while only ever playing the maps they love but that sort of goal isn't really feasible anyway.

If there is a map that you really like that is generally unpopular you will never ever get to play it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PureRok posted:

Not to mention if you take the bottom/top keeps the camps will count as extra shots on their core if they get to the end of the lane. Taking the bottom keep is great value.

:psyduck:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

WoW battlegrounds have vetoes while not only having to deal with healer/tank compositions but imbalanced faction populations and certain asymmetrical battlegrounds heavily favoring one faction

And the fact that almost no one plays PvP in WoW

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kyrosiris posted:

Zarya/Varian/Auriel/Valla/Murky vs Genji/Anub/Malf/Abathur/Xul on Sky Temple.

This is gonna be a laugh riot.

Don't keep us in suspense, who won? :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It's so sad that For Honor has a better map selection system than this.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Secret message in Lunara's base HP?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If 75% of players really like Map A and 25% of players hate Map A, under your system the players that hate Map A will end up playing it more than under a purely random system. It's the complete opposite of a veto.

Purely random: 50% of games are played on Map A.

Coinflip veto: I always veto Map A. 25% of games (games against other players who also hate Map A) are on Map B. 50% of the remaining games are on Map A and on Map B: 37.5%. Total: 62.5% of games on Map B, 37.5% on Map A.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Purely random: 50% of games are played on Map A.

Coinflip veto: I always veto Map A. 25% of games (games against other players who also hate Map A) are on Map B. 50% of the remaining games are on Map A and on Map B: 37.5%. Total: 62.5% of games on Map B, 37.5% on Map A.

I'm not sure what you're describing but it's nothing like the console shooter map vote system he was talking about.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
The brawl for this week is fun, but I also had toxic super serious people on my team for every single match. Also had my first game with Brazilians since I started. Now it feels like I'm playing a real moba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Sorry to the dudes I dropped out on while playing as Azmodunk tonight. Somebody literally walked right into my house and I absolutely had to deal with it : /

Also I don't mind any of the maps yet (only started playing again a week or so ago). Is the hate because the more specialized maps create situations where certain teams/heroes are poo poo?