Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Pops Mgee posted:

Seriously how is of all things battlefront version the only digital Jabba that even looks remotely close?

Nope

Nope

Not even close

Wow, looks like I need to get Battlefront. Is that an in-game graphic or from a pre-rendered cutscene?

Of the post-1983 movies, the Phantom Menace version is the only half decent one. 1997 ANH Special Edition looks like he's either missing a chromosome or has begun to melt in the heat, and the 2004 ANH version looks way too dark, like someone accidentally overlayed the PhotoShop "photocopy" filter over the CGI model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

Wow, looks like I need to get Battlefront. Is that an in-game graphic or from a pre-rendered cutscene?

Of the post-1983 movies, the Phantom Menace version is the only half decent one. 1997 ANH Special Edition looks like he's either missing a chromosome or has begun to melt in the heat, and the 2004 ANH version looks way too dark, like someone accidentally overlayed the PhotoShop "photocopy" filter over the CGI model.
It's the screen for the Hutt Contracts store.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I forgot just how frigging bad the SE Jabba looked.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dave Syndrome posted:

Battlefront was not a great game, but it's still the best looking Star Wars game. It really nailed the look (and sound and feel) of the OT better than any other game.

Luckily, 2 is shaping up to be just as aesthetically pleasing while also being a good game.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So are there any other SW tales movies confirmed? If I'm remembering right there's just Kenobi and Solo?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The only confirmed one is the Han Solo film. Kenobi isn't even so much a rumor as it is a bunch of people asking for it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
One focused on the Rogue Squadron pilots would be nice, along with one with Vader being a complete evil bastard involved in cutting dudes down and trying to not piss off the Emperor and his buddies too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought the three non-sequel movies were Rogue One, Han Solo and Boba Fett?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Boba Fett was almost certainly about to be announced, then it's director, Josh Trank, crapped the bed with Fantastic Four and had very public personality issues revealed. He was then quietly removed and Boba Fett was put on the back burner.

Kennedy has said she plans to make final decisions on the next stand alone this summer. If they get everything nailed down early enough, they may announce what that is at D23 this July.

Currently all the rumors seem to focus on these two:

Obi-Wan Kenobi stand alone set between III and IV.
Bounty Hunter movie, which includes Boba Fett but is not focused on him.

My guess is they may move to a 1 year ~ 6 month rotation for movies, which means every other year we would get two movies a year. Something like this:

December 2017 - Last Jedi (Confirmed release date)
May 2018 - Han Solo (Confirmed release date)
May 2019 - Episode IX (Confirmed release date)
December 2019 - Next stand alone
May 2020 - Another stand alone
May 2021 - Han Solo 2
December 2021 - ?

Then they either take a break for awhile, keep rolling out stand alones on the regular and/or give a few years break until they go back to the Saga films.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 11, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There were also recently rumors of a female-directed YA romance movie. Which honestly could be bad or good but it's kind of funny that after all the flack Kennedy got for saying there were no female directors with the ability to do a Star Wars movie, her solution seems to be "a YA romance movie is the perfect place to prove that women can direct Star Wars!"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Given the best book of the New EU is the YA romance novel, I'm okay with that in concept.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The problem with Jabba in the pt and se is that he's moving super weird and you're not used to it. Like in rotj the gently caress can hardly move his hands.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Teek posted:

Boba Fett was almost certainly about to be announced, then it's director, Josh Trank, crapped the bed with Fantastic Four and had very public personality issues revealed. He was then quietly removed and Boba Fett was put on the back burner.

Kennedy has said she plans to make final decisions on the next stand alone this summer. If they get everything nailed down early enough, they may announce what that is at D23 this July.

Currently all the rumors seem to focus on these two:

Obi-Wan Kenobi stand alone set between III and IV.
Bounty Hunter movie, which includes Boba Fett but is not focused on him.

My guess is they may move to a 1 year ~ 6 month rotation for movies, which means every other year we would get two movies a year. Something like this:

December 2017 - Last Jedi (Confirmed release date)
May 2018 - Han Solo (Confirmed release date)
May 2019 - Episode IX (Confirmed release date)
December 2019 - Next stand alone
May 2020 - Another stand alone
May 2021 - Han Solo 2
December 2021 - ?

Then they either take a break for awhile, keep rolling out stand alones on the regular and/or give a few years break until they go back to the Saga films.

the han one. idk, i dont have much hope for it. it could be ok but i feel like hans origins always sucked outside the pulpy adventure books where he is in the corporate sector. obi wan movie could be ok. fett would be alright if they got the right people.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
How did Yoda and Windu know about the Sith rule of two when no other jedis did?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just assume being Masters they knew a shitload of Jedi and force related lore.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just assume being Masters they knew a shitload of Jedi and force related lore.

How did it even get to them? A Sith defector or what?

And why wasn't it documented like "The Sith are still around. Be on your loving guard for red lightsabers and black hoods"

Catberry fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 12, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Sith had been pretty much made extinct centuries before according to what they knew and Palpatine and co were doing some vague Sith magic stuff that kept him cloaked and them confused as hell. It doesn't really get into anymore detail than vague Sith magic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holocrons, son.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holocrons, son.

"To become a Jedi, you must master the following professions three; Chef, Creature Handler and Bounty Hunter...."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Catberry posted:

How did Yoda and Windu know about the Sith rule of two when no other jedis did?

This always struck me as a major issue with TPM. I've heard some arguments based on reinterpreting the TPM novel passage that Lucas' intent was that the Sith had formed the Rule of Two very early on in their 2000 year history, and so the Jedi had known about it for almost 1000 years before they were 'wiped out'. But who really knows.

In the last Darth Bane novel, I believe this was worked around by saying that Bane and his apprentice briefly were revealed again, but basically faked their deaths so the Jedi thought they were dead.

In the new continuity I don't think it's really been addressed, especially since it's been pretty clearly stated that the ancient Sith were a mass group like in the old EU, so the rule of two shouldn't be some intuitive thing for the Jedi to assume.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I just chalk it up to George Lucas being a senile old man who didn't know what the gently caress he was doing and needed to be placed in a retirement home.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

pubic works project posted:

I just chalk it up to George Lucas being a senile old man who didn't know what the gently caress he was doing and needed to be placed in a retirement home.

It's nothing to do with his age, It's his weird writing process when he was drafting the story stuff for the OT.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Rule of Two owned as an idea and it's really too bad there's just all kinds of sith lackeys everywhere.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You don't need to invoke any kind of Sith protocol to explain what they say at the end of TPM. Someone must have trained this guy, and if this guy's mastered the Sith arts he's probably training someone else like Jedi do. How else would the Sith have persisted in secret.

Should've had someone say, dismissively, "their fire has gone out of the universe."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I like the Rule of Two but it's a case of the EU taking a line of dialogue Really Literally and running away with it (right?)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing Luceno did in Darth Plagueis that I sort of enjoyed was introducing the idea that Palpatine took Darth Maul on as his apprentice while Plagueis was still alive (and he only finishes Plagueis off during the events of TPM), but the workaround is that Palpatine never actually trained Maul as a Sith (just an assassin) and never saw Dooku as a true apprentice, because the whole time he was just working through placeholders until he could get to Anakin.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

General Battuta posted:

I like the Rule of Two but it's a case of the EU taking a line of dialogue Really Literally and running away with it (right?)

I think Lucas actually came out and said "yes that's what I meant." And it made sense--even with the Sith ruling the galaxy it was just Palpatine and Vader in the OT movies. Lucas didn't have any more than 2 Sith concurrently in the PT (even though Sidious had a suspiciously convenient fallback ready to go when Maul bit it).

The problem is nobody respected it since.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing Luceno did in Darth Plagueis that I sort of enjoyed was introducing the idea that Palpatine took Darth Maul on as his apprentice while Plagueis was still alive (and he only finishes Plagueis off during the events of TPM), but the workaround is that Palpatine never actually trained Maul as a Sith (just an assassin) and never saw Dooku as a true apprentice, because the whole time he was just working through placeholders until he could get to Anakin.

This explanation (training disciples as tools rather than true heirs) works well with my own theory on the Rule of Two: It means only one pair of Sith can stably exist. Any more and there's in-fighting, chaos, disruption, etc.

See Maul's return in the Clone Wars. When Palpatine learns he still exists and has taken an apprentice of his own, he's no longer a tool but a rival and must be dealt with swiftly to preserve his own plans.

Only a single pair can operate effectively.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

General Battuta posted:

You don't need to invoke any kind of Sith protocol to explain what they say at the end of TPM. Someone must have trained this guy, and if this guy's mastered the Sith arts he's probably training someone else like Jedi do. How else would the Sith have persisted in secret.

Should've had someone say, dismissively, "their fire has gone out of the universe."

They are surprising specific "There are always two. One master, one apprentice. Never more, never less"

The rule of two does need some explaining in my opinion because the glaring faults show up even during the Bane novels. Like what happens if the apprentice turns out unsatisfactory or dies while the master doesn't have enough time left to train a replacement.

A single accident, the death of the master or apprentice during the thousand years it lasted and all of it would have been over.

Wheat Loaf posted:

When Bane listens to Revans holocron. Revan explains that while there are only Sith. They can have several acolytes. I interpret this as Siths having dark side minions who aren't trained as Sith.

Also I loving hate that Revan is some sort of Sith Jesus because from what I read so far. He was just some Jedi that the old emperor mind hosed into a Sith until he broke free.

That the Sith messiah was just a subjugated Jedi just ruins it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Catberry posted:

A single accident, the death of the master or apprentice during the thousand years it lasted and all of it would have been over.

Jedi have no* accidents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I picked up the Rogue One art book at comic con today. Overall they had a much clearer vision of the film going in than the balls out experimental stuff in Force Awakens pre planning stage. One of the biggest changes is how it seems that the original concept art envisioned the team as a much bigger rebel commando unit in each operation than just Jyn and Co. As always concept art always looks cooler than the final product.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah the Jyn/Galen Erso framing solidified later on, the supplemental materials on the movie disc had her as Sergeant already and leader of a squad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Catberry posted:

Also I loving hate that Revan is some sort of Sith Jesus because from what I read so far. He was just some Jedi that the old emperor mind hosed into a Sith until he broke free.

That the Sith messiah was just a subjugated Jedi just ruins it.

Thing is, invincible superhero Revan was something that came in with KOTOR 2 (I think so anyway - he was a Jedi who was very, very good in KOTOR, but I don't think it had gone all over the top) but it worked in that game because Revan's been missing for five years and everything we hear about him comes from people who are clearly in awe of him and buy into this whole legend around him.

He's basically an RPG character with all his stats maxed out, in a setting that ostensibly doesn't operate according to RPG gameplay rules. I think fans latched on to that and that's how you ended up with the "Revan might as well have been the Chosen One" thing where he's the ultimate Jedi, the ultimate Sith, the best lightsabre duellist, the best military strategist, the best philosopher, a master engineer, a polyglot etc. and people are confronting Pablo Hidalgo et al. at cons and demanding "the Revan movie we deserve".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thing is, invincible superhero Revan was something that came in with KOTOR 2 (I think so anyway - he was a Jedi who was very, very good in KOTOR, but I don't think it had gone all over the top) but it worked in that game because Revan's been missing for five years and everything we hear about him comes from people who are clearly in awe of him and buy into this whole legend around him.

In a way, but really like you say in KOTOR II it was just because Revan was such a huge figure in the galaxy who then went missing right when he was seemingly at his height. I seriously doubt Chris Avellone, given how he dealt with deconstructing Star Wars foundational myths, actually wanted players to take away the message that Revan was an actual "Chosen One" mythical savior.

Of course then Drew Karpyshyn in his first Bane book did exactly that.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's basically an RPG character with all his stats maxed out, in a setting that ostensibly doesn't operate according to RPG gameplay rules. I think fans latched on to that and that's how you ended up with the "Revan might as well have been the Chosen One" thing where he's the ultimate Jedi, the ultimate Sith, the best lightsabre duellist, the best military strategist, the best philosopher, a master engineer, a polyglot etc. and people are confronting Pablo Hidalgo et al. at cons and demanding "the Revan movie we deserve".

I have never played any of the kotor games (yet) I've mainly hard about him in the books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I seriously doubt Chris Avellone, given how he dealt with deconstructing Star Wars foundational myths, actually wanted players to take away the message that Revan was an actual "Chosen One" mythical savior.

Sure, I didn't mean to suggest that was his intention: it's hardly his fault that some folks ended up doing it anyway.

quote:

Quite. "Revan invented the Rule of Two" wasn't something that book needed to have.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

In a way, but really like you say in KOTOR II it was just because Revan was such a huge figure in the galaxy who then went missing right when he was seemingly at his height. I seriously doubt Chris Avellone, given how he dealt with deconstructing Star Wars foundational myths, actually wanted players to take away the message that Revan was an actual "Chosen One" mythical savior.

Also, the main thing KOTOR 2 established about Revan was that he had a purpose beyond just a giant doomfleet burning down the Republic. Revan by all accounts in KOTOR 1 was a bit of an idiot as a Sith Lord - extremely charismatic, but basically a blunt instrument on a campaign of galactic conquest. KOTOR 2 is what established Revan as being a brilliant strategist who was trying to accomplish something less straightforward in the process of conquering the Republic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The key difference is that everything in KOTOR 2 is based off of perception and rumours. Nothing about Revan beyond him being an extremely gifted tactician and powerful Force user is ever treated as fact. There is a lot of nuance because Revan is seen in multiple perspectives, from those who followed him (Atton), to those that trained him (Kreia).

Bioware, especially post-2011 Bioware, lacked the nuance to properly address the developments that Obsidian made, so they took Kreia's figurative theories on the Sith literally, and just turned them into Galactic Empire 2.0, with Revan being a puppet but also the greatest most powerful Jedi ever to defeat Uber Emperor.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SeanBeansShako posted:

"To become a Jedi, you must master the following professions three; Chef, Creature Handler and Bounty Hunter...."
That was a stupid system and Jedi should never have been playable in the game at all. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tumblr of scotch posted:

That was a stupid system and Jedi should never have been playable in the game at all. :colbert:

That MMO was really really unlucky. At the mercy of SOE, LucasArts marketeering AND being rushed?