Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Wintermutant posted:

I completely missed "free" in your post, my mistake.

Npnp.

How hard is Alien Isolation to get to work since they updated the runtime thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Boz0r posted:

Npnp.

How hard is Alien Isolation to get to work since they updated the runtime thing?

You need to use an older runtime that has extended mode.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Boz0r posted:

I borrowed an Oculus DK2 from a friend. I don't have the rift controllers, but I have an xbox controller. Which free games/experiences are best to try?
Dirt Rally is free this weekend, idk how well it works with a DK2 but it should be fine. And on Oculus Home get Lucky's Tale

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Boz0r posted:

None of those are free, though, are they?

The people who did Chronos also did Herobound which is free in the Oculus store last time I checked, it's a fun Zelda-style game.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Zero VGS posted:

The people who did Chronos also did Herobound which is free in the Oculus store last time I checked, it's a fun Zelda-style game.

I keep forgetting to grab that. I've just been too sucked in by Rec Room's new quest, and how no pub group to save their life can help me beat it :( I feel like I'm close...but I really have no idea.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally got around to installing Virtual Desktop, and I gotta say, browsing the forums in VR is... a different experience. I guess this is what it feels like to be YOSPOS.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Time has finally come where I can legitimately buy an HTC Vive and not worry about putting aside real life poo poo, like buying furniture for my apartment and all that jazz. I've got the cash to drop on a Vive, but I've waited so long to get one, I can't help but worry and ask myself: if I buy a Vive now, won't the Vive 2 come out in a few months?

I really love the Vive. A friend let me try it out at a 24h gaming event we went to and it blew my loving socks off. I really wanna get my hands on one, but not if it means I'm out ~£700 only for a newer, better, sexier model to come out in a relatively short amount of time. So I'm asking you VR nerds if I should buy the Vive now and enjoy it, or wait a few more months.

That being said, I'm 100% sure I could sell the headset for next to retail price a few months down the line, cause I've a good habit of keeping the box and looking after my poo poo, so it's always Used - Like New when I sell it. Advice? I really want this. Like super really bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think its unlikely you're gonna have to worry about a Vive 2 until next year at the earliest, right now they're more interested in selling people on addons. LG is aiming to have their headset out by the end of the year and its looking pretty sick, slightly higher res and looks extremely comfortable, but its probably not worth waiting on. Go for it IMO.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I think its unlikely you're gonna have to worry about a Vive 2 until next year at the earliest, right now they're more interested in selling people on addons. LG is aiming to have their headset out by the end of the year and its looking pretty sick, slightly higher res and looks extremely comfortable, but its probably not worth waiting on. Go for it IMO.

Cheers my dude. Any idea when UK is having any deals? It was £100 back in Christmas, I believe. Or Black Friday, I can't remember which. Right now it's going for £749 but knocking £100 would be amazing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've put together a thread for Soundboxing.

I added the folks who've already linked their soundboxing profiles in this thread to that one.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 13, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I know this was a big deal for some people, Oculus is letting you change your username now without contacting support:

https://support.oculus.com/1466775300009274

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Might be worth waiting a couple months to jump into vr; acer and ms are bringing out $400 complete sets that could end up being better than oculus or vive

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The possibly lovely hand tracking and that the headsets appear to be locked down to Windows Holographic make me suspect they could be a little too good to be true.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The specs on those things seem pretty good tbh, but if they aren't gonna run any of the software people like I can't get very excited about them. Maybe in a couple years Microsoft will have taken over and OVR and OpenVR will be buried next to Glide but for a HMD in 2017, nah.

If I needed a HMD to show clients floorplans or something in VR I'd pick a couple of those up though, they'll be rad for professional purposes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

homeless snail posted:

If I needed a HMD to show clients floorplans or something in VR I'd pick a couple of those up though, they'll be rad for professional purposes.

I'm working on something for a client now and I think I'll be using Gear VR for it, seems the most convenient way

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

As someone who might jump in for star trek bridge crew what is the goto headset right now?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zotix posted:

As someone who might jump in for star trek bridge crew what is the goto headset right now?

If you can try them both pick the one you like better based on fit and comfort. Otherwise they are very similar and the rift is cheaper although isn't as geared toward room scale as well as the Vive is because of its tracking solution. If budget isn't a big deal and you want to room scale it up I'd suggest the Vive. If you want to save some money for a maybe less clean room scale experience then the Rift.
Really you should try both and see. If you care about the companies and how they carry themselves in the products you buy that might be an issue too.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The rift is currently the cheapest by about $100 and the vive wins if you're wanting to spend extra to mod it and trick it out with things like a better headstrap and the upcoming wireless addons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you just going for Star Trek Bridge Crew, the Rift might be the best bang for your buck. The Star Trek game seems to be a seated front facing game which is the Rift's wheelhouse. The Rift can be expanded to room scale as well. I highly suggest finding a way to try them both as they are expensive. If you have a large area you can dedicated to VR, you might want to go for the Vive as it does roomscale better than the Rift.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you have a PS4, I'm guessing the PSVR version of that game will be just fine, also.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I would say pick up a Rift unless:

1) You want to play in an area larger than 8 feet x 8 feet. (I feel anything bigger will start to push it and possibly require 4 sensors.)
2) You wear glasses. (The Rift doesn't allow much room for glasses so big frames won't fit.)

The standard Rift+Touch kit is $200 cheaper, but it won't support very good roomscale out of the box. Two cameras won't give you a large area to play with, but it will be serviceable for a first time. And Bridge Crew won't be a roomscale game. In fact, many people do just fine with a smaller 2-camera play area as many games will support that.

If you decide you want a bigger play area, with the $200 you saved you can buy a 3rd sensor ($60), and a 6 foot USB3 and HDMI extension cable for the headset ($10-20). You can also buy an internal PCI USB 3 card to add more USB 3 ports to your PC, if needed ($40).

Of course, you need to try both to get a good grasp of the ergonomics of both headsets. Some people have weird heads that fit better on one of the headsets, and comfort should be a big priority. If it isn't comfortable to wear the headset, you won't enjoy the experience.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Where can I try both at?

I live alone in an apartment where I could pull off the room scale thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zotix posted:

Where can I try both at?

I live alone in an apartment where I could pull off the room scale thing.
If you have a Microsoft store nearby, some of them do Vive and/or Rift demos. I think some Best Buys are still doing Rift demos also, they stopped doing them at a lot of locations though.

If you have the space and money isn't an object though, the Vive would be the way to go.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I still think it depends, fit/comfort are a huge factor and what you prefer will vary greatly from person to person.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The Oculus Touch controllers are also totally amazing. For me that's a done deal for that reason alone.

I have a 9ftx12ft play area with 4 ceiling mounted sensors and the room scale is flawless. I think with the recent updates the maximum workable scale is probably 14x14 but I don't know what the quality would be like.

The Vive can scale out larger than that, and also the very Vive-like LG SteamVR headset coming later this year.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

youve run 4 usb cords from your computer to cameras in each of the four corners of a room?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's also important to note Oculus has the one-way walled garden. You can play just about any game with it but if you get a Vive then you can't play Oculus games without a tool because Oculus and Facebook are a bunch of douchebags that would rather subvert competition with console-exclusives.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It may bear mentioning that Valve has mentioned said too by name (ReVive) a few times now in patchnotes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Looks like another Vive controller is about to lose its touchpad clickiness. This is annoying as gently caress, I don't wanna RMA every few weeks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
from the gif thread, it's that japanese vr girlfriend things, also super :nws::nws:

https://s1.webmshare.com/WWn9K.webm

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How much is the extra third Oculus sensor these days? If you were getting a Vive then you'd presumably want the headstrap, which is what, $100 or so? Just interested in how the pricing works out these days.

I went with Rift from the get-go because Touch and the comfort/design looked better. Only thing that pisses me off nowadays about the platform is that they seem to be taking forever to add basic features to Home. It's just odd and irritating.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Warbird posted:

It may bear mentioning that Valve has mentioned said too by name (ReVive) a few times now in patchnotes.
I want to say Oculus fixed a bug affecting ReVive somewhat recently as well.

El Grillo posted:

How much is the extra third Oculus sensor these days? If you were getting a Vive then you'd presumably want the headstrap, which is what, $100 or so? Just interested in how the pricing works out these days.
Extra sensors are $60. Even if you buy two (which is overkill for the majority of people), you're still ahead of the base Vive package by $80. Unless they drop prices or start changing what's in the headset bundle, that gap will only widen with the headstrap and presumably also the knuckle controllers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zotix posted:

How many USB 3.0 slots does your PC have? If it's less than 3, get a Vive. If you have a PS4, get PSVR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

from the gif thread, it's that japanese vr girlfriend things, also super :nws::nws:

Lol why is she getting ghost-hosed?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Lol why is she getting ghost-hosed?

Creepy pervert peeping tom multiplayer confirmed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Truga posted:

Cucked in VR just like real life

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Truga posted:

hahahahahahahaha I don't know what the gently caress this is supposed to be but its totally hosed up and totally amazing in really new innovative ways.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Is that a base functionality in the game or did someone make a mod for it to allow you to tree climb and peep? If it's a mod at some point the person making it went 'ok ok it isn't funny anymore' but they kept going, tested for bugs, and play tested it. I just don't understand :psyduck:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Is that a base functionality in the game or did someone make a mod for it to allow you to tree climb and peep? If it's a mod at some point the person making it went 'ok ok it isn't funny anymore' but they kept going, tested for bugs, and play tested it. I just don't understand :psyduck:

I would assume it's a fantasy-fulfilling mod, however, whoever did that .gif made it as hilarious as possible.

What, you've never wanted to peep on a girl getting hosed by half a ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I would assume it's a fantasy-fulfilling mod, however, whoever did that .gif made it as hilarious as possible.

What, you've never wanted to peep on a girl getting hosed by half a ghost?

No I get it it's just such a weird fantasy to have when you can do whatever you want in VR, you know?