Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Baby Babbeh posted:

She's really into Etherium, which is even more of a niche solution to a problem no one has, and even more likely to get replaced by some kind of private blockchain developed by IBM if it ever catches on at all.

Oh boy etherium, that's what the dao uses. That's a thing that runs the programs you attach to your transaction. So someone wrote a program that sends a coin then restarts and drained the dao. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blowfish posted:

remember that the craptocurrency community's first response to being asked "what real world uses do bitcoin etc have" was posting a story about a bitcoiner on holiday masturbating next to and cumming on his brazilian host family's underage daughter

Av post combo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duz posted:

Oh boy etherium, that's what the dao uses. That's a thing that runs the programs you attach to your transaction. So someone wrote a program that sends a coin then restarts and drained the dao. Good times.

And then they went and did a split of the Ethereum blockchain, to revert the immutable transactions! (The 4th time such a thing has happened with Ethereum even).

And people are still trading coins from the older chain at the same time as ones on the newer chain.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

dex_sda posted:

vape enthusiast

Laughed out loud

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

cowofwar posted:

If I was going to write some dumb erotic fiction about some virginal kid with hangups about naked people I wouldn't choose a continental European as the protagonist. Definitely neither a French nor German dude.
Based on his post history he actually is European. This is likely the only true part of the story.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Etherium is my favorite one because it literally has "ether" in the name but people still put money into it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Based on his post history he actually is European. This is likely the only true part of the story.

I sincerely regret not being able to believe this; if he invented it totally out of whole cloth, wouldn't he have painted himself in a vastly better light?

"Hmm, how should I play this...I know! I'll describe a believable but very serious misunderstanding, like you'd get in a romantic comedy, but more serious and frightening. Like, they thought I had done something horribly disgusting and inappropriate, and they were right."

I want to believe the story has no connection to any irl hyper-gross things. Someone help me. :(

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neo Rasa posted:

Etherium is my favorite one because it literally has "ether" in the name but people still put money into it.

So does my Ethernet cable.

I mean, Etherium is stupid for a ton of reasons, but that's not one of them. (And it's still got a better name than dogecoin.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Prism posted:

So does my Ethernet cable.

I mean, Etherium is stupid for a ton of reasons, but that's not one of them. (And it's still got a better name than dogecoin.)

Well, it does harness the power of then of thousands of computers in order to run programs as fast as a Casio calculator so at least it does something!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I sincerely regret not being able to believe this; if he invented it totally out of whole cloth, wouldn't he have painted himself in a vastly better light?

"Hmm, how should I play this...I know! I'll describe a believable but very serious misunderstanding, like you'd get in a romantic comedy, but more serious and frightening. Like, they thought I had done something horribly disgusting and inappropriate, and they were right."

I want to believe the story has no connection to any irl hyper-gross things. Someone help me. :(

There is, uh, overlap between cryptocurrency loonies and the "it's ephebophilia not pedophilia and therefore totally ok :goonsay:" crowd.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah 15 is almost exactly the age where they know cryptocurrency fans will come out and spew completely horseshit "fact" that start with "well,"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Waymo’s lawsuit against Uber is going to trial, judge rules

> Update: Judge Alsup has also referred the case to the U.S. Attorney for a possible criminal investigation.

:jerky:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

blowfish posted:

There is, uh, overlap between cryptocurrency loonies and the "it's ephebophilia not pedophilia and therefore totally ok :goonsay:" crowd.
Maybe the answer is that the protagonist in the story is also 15.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Maybe the answer is that the protagonist in the story is also 15.

Mentally probably, but

quote:

This story happened to me during the summer of 2012. I was a 23 year old French developer

I assume they found a smoking gun now?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

blowfish posted:

I assume they found a smoking gun now?

it's philosophically possible that terrible companies will one day realise that pissing off Alsup doesn't work out well,

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The fall of Juicero isn’t just entertaining tech industry stupidity – it’s the sign of a country refusing to break new ground

quote:

At the root of the problem is the story we tell ourselves about innovation. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: a lone genius disappears into a garage, preferably in Palo Alto, and emerges with an invention that changes the world. The engine of technological progress is the entrepreneur – the fast-moving, risk-loving, rule-breaking visionary in the mold of Steve Jobs.

This story has been so widely repeated as to become a cliche. It’s also inaccurate. Contrary to popular belief, entrepreneurs typically make terrible innovators. Left to its own devices, the private sector is far more likely to impede technological progress than to advance it. That’s because real innovation is very expensive to produce: it involves pouring extravagant sums of money into research projects that may fail, or at the very least may never yield a commercially viable product. In other words, it requires a lot of risk – something that, myth-making aside, capitalist firms have little appetite for.

This creates a problem. Companies need breakthroughs to build businesses on, but they generally can’t – or won’t – fund the development of those breakthroughs themselves. So where does the money come from? The government. As the economist Mariana Mazzucato has shown, nearly every major innovation since the second world war has required a big push from the public sector, for an obvious reason: the public sector can afford to take risks that the private sector can’t.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I work in university tech transfer so I unsurprisingly agree with that.

The top schools are hemorrhaging their computer science / machine learning / applied math / bioinformatics etc. faculty to industry, btw. It's less clear to me that much is being lost from an innovation standpoint in these domains, since most of them get to do more of what they want without worrying about grants or administration etc., though I do wonder if there is some magic in the professor interfacing with other professors and a rotating crop of clever creative graduate students under a need-to-produce-research mandate that isn't really happening as much or as well in (e.g.) Google.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Juceiro guy being offended that people didn't ~~~respect his vision~~~ by juicing his $10 Capri Sun packs and still acting like his business is great is some next level corporate infallibility mindset, but it's already been topped:

http://www.businessinsider.com/fyre-festival-founder-tells-employees-they-will-no-longer-be-paid-2017-5

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

The Juceiro guy being offended that people didn't ~~~respect his vision~~~ by juicing his $10 Capri Sun packs and still acting like his business is great is some next level corporate infallibility mindset, but it's already been topped:

http://www.businessinsider.com/fyre-festival-founder-tells-employees-they-will-no-longer-be-paid-2017-5

Admitting to attending/working at Fyre Festival is probably the biggest self-own you could do to yourself in 2017. No one feels bad for these people marks.

Anyone with half a brain got out before poo poo hit the fan.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

axeil posted:

Admitting to attending/working at Fyre Festival is probably the biggest self-own you could do to yourself in 2017. No one feels bad for these people marks.

I assume this is going to end up with the Bahamas trying to sue the organisers after they inevitably abandon the festival site and leave all their refugee tents and piles of trash behind.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

axeil posted:

It's just amazing to me that there's probably still people that are going to stick around because of the vision of what Fyre could be or whatever. And how this guy is still able to act like he's proud of what's happened.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just amazing to me that there's probably still people that are going to stick around because of the vision of what Fyre could be or whatever. And how this guy is still able to act like he's proud of what's happened.

It kinda reminds me of that deal trading Theranos shares for a guarantee not to sue.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

Blink-182 got out in time! I mean, come on!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Well, it makes sense if your definition of success isn't "I/we achieved something and it was good", but "other people showed up to do what I say, who cares what I said they should do".

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

pangstrom posted:

I work in university tech transfer so I unsurprisingly agree with that.

The top schools are hemorrhaging their computer science / machine learning / applied math / bioinformatics etc. faculty to industry, btw. It's less clear to me that much is being lost from an innovation standpoint in these domains, since most of them get to do more of what they want without worrying about grants or administration etc., though I do wonder if there is some magic in the professor interfacing with other professors and a rotating crop of clever creative graduate students under a need-to-produce-research mandate that isn't really happening as much or as well in (e.g.) Google.

I think the professor <-> professor stuff is pretty much a non-issue, because most of these companies have a decent chunk of world-class researchers in one place. I studied probability theory in grad school and one of the (say) 5 strongest and most productive research groups in the world was at Microsoft Research. They also had more researchers in that area than all but a few university departments (and in my field a lot of the collaboration that exists is between researchers at different institutions anyways).

There are certainly externalities associated with the grad student poaching. Right now there is an implicit subsidy from the university system.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

blah_blah posted:

I think the professor <-> professor stuff is pretty much a non-issue, because most of these companies have a decent chunk of world-class researchers in one place. I studied probability theory in grad school and one of the (say) 5 strongest and most productive research groups in the world was at Microsoft Research. They also had more researchers in that area than all but a few university departments (and in my field a lot of the collaboration that exists is between researchers at different institutions anyways).

There are certainly externalities associated with the grad student poaching. Right now there is an implicit subsidy from the university system.

Strongest and most productive specifically WRT probability theory, or in general? I'd love to hear more about that if you can elaborate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is Fyre Festival? I paid literally 0 attention to whatever it was

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ja Rule and some dude tried to set up a music fest in the Bahamas. Tickets started at $1250 or something, running up to 5 figures and the whole thing was billed as a luxury event with yoga, massages, AYCE/AYCD, etc.

People showed up, nothing was set up, and it devolved into Lord of the Flies due to lack of planning, experience, and infrastructure. Basically a bunch of folks from the Rich Kids of Instagram set got fleeced.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It was supposed to be something like Burning Man, except the people behind the festival had no organization of anything including payment so the people who didn't quit when told they could not be paid or get the poo poo they needed to do their jobs right showed up to a more or less empty beach where there was supposed to be a festival.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ja Rule and some dude tried to set up a music fest in the Bahamas. Tickets started at $1250 or something, running up to 5 figures and the whole thing was billed as a luxury event with yoga, massages, AYCE/AYCD, etc.

People showed up, nothing was set up, and it devolved into Lord of the Flies due to lack of planning, experience, and infrastructure. Basically a bunch of folks from the Rich Kids of Instagram set got fleeced.

Tickets started at $2500 https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20170407031134/https://www.fyrefestival.com/packages

The $2500 price was if you paid your own way to the island in the Bahamas, and paid elsewhere for somewhere to stay on the island (intended that you'd be staying on your own boat in this situation, as the $2500 price includes docking rights).

Actual tickets including a place to stay on the island and transport to the island from the main airport in the Bahamas started at $12,499 per person, with tickets for a flight in from the US included.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thread on Fyre Festival (with links to lawsuits) here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818672

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It was supposed to be something like Burning Man, except the people behind the festival had no organization of anything including payment so the people who didn't quit when told they could not be paid or get the poo poo they needed to do their jobs right showed up to a more or less empty beach where there was supposed to be a festival.

A professional planning company, brought in a few months before the planned dates, basically took a look at the proposals and timeline and told the Fyre team that the smartest thing to do would be cancel the 2017 festival and immediately begin working on the 2018 because that's the only way a semi functioning festival would ever be pulled off. A Fyre marketing guy told them "gently caress it man, lets just do this and be legends"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

And the big headline act? Blink-182

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

A professional planning company, brought in a few months before the planned dates, basically took a look at the proposals and timeline and told the Fyre team that the smartest thing to do would be cancel the 2017 festival and immediately begin working on the 2018 because that's the only way a semi functioning festival would ever be pulled off. A Fyre marketing guy told them "gently caress it man, lets just do this and be legends"

legendary fuckups are still technically legends :v:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

greazeball posted:

this is honestly what fucks me up the most about this stupid event

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

greazeball posted:

hahaha all that for Blink-182

yeesh

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

greazeball posted:

...who didn't even show up.

These kids were forced to live in the shelter tents and subsist on uncooked cheese sandwiches because they brought no money. Basically, the event was a promotion run by a digital payment company to market their Internet of Things wristbands, so they stupidly left their cash and cards behind because they were told everything would be handled through the bracelets, which were only good at the shitshow event. Resort town food and accommodations within walking distance, yet they were effectively too poor to afford them.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Sounds like the music festival market just can't handle a little disruption :discourse:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

super sweet best pal posted:

...who didn't even show up.

These kids were forced to live in the shelter tents and subsist on uncooked cheese sandwiches because they brought no money. Basically, the event was a promotion run by a digital payment company to market their Internet of Things wristbands, so they stupidly left their cash and cards behind because they were told everything would be handled through the bracelets, which were only good at the shitshow event. Resort town food and accommodations within walking distance, yet they were effectively too poor to afford them.

To be a little fair to them, they were told not to bring cash. For safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Rich people having to taste poverty after being scammed out of their money and left behind on an island? Tbh that sounds like it loving ruled. Good work Fyre Festival.