Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is almost definitely a dumb question but I live in Florida so i drink a lot of unsweet iced tea. i wanna try infusing some herbal and green teas and having them cold instead just for some different flavors.

does anyone else ice theirs, and if you do, do you have experiences with it making some types of tea better or gross or anything?

An iced minty green tea sounds really really good, for example.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
A traditional infusion thing to ice in Japan/Korea/East Asia more generally is roasted barley tea. It's really refreshing on a hot day, but might be a bit odd when you first try it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll give it a shot, barley tea is pretty cheap on amazon. Thanks!

I was desperately trying to avoid wording my question in a stupid way like "is cold tea worse than hot?" so that the first response wouldn't be
"NO, if you put oolong over ice you will get SUPEROXIDANTS and CANCER!" or
"If you use dry ice your cup will open a warp zone straight to world 8."

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I make iced mint green tea pretty regularly and it's great. I brew mine hot and pour over ice, and add a bit of sugar though so your mileage may vary. Another thing you might like to try is adding a sprig of mint and/or a few lemon slices to a jug of iced tea and leaving it in the fridge like that. I usually make my sweet tea this way and it doesn't last long in my house..

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Iced tea chat: I brew green tea double strength and then pour about a 12oz mug's worth into a 16oz glass full of ice. Sometimes I add some honey while it's hot, sometimes I add some mint leaves, or replace some of the ice with frozen berries, or all three. It is really nice in the summer!

For iced tea, I use Bigelow's Organic Green Tea. It's supermarket, but it's Good Enough for icing.

Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger makes for a fantastic iced herbal tea, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jinh posted:

This is almost definitely a dumb question but I live in Florida so i drink a lot of unsweet iced tea. i wanna try infusing some herbal and green teas and having them cold instead just for some different flavors.

does anyone else ice theirs, and if you do, do you have experiences with it making some types of tea better or gross or anything?

An iced minty green tea sounds really really good, for example.
Yeah it works fine. Makes good sun tea as well.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks all, just ordered some stuff that looks like it would taste good from adagio and an infuser from amazon :D

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I'd like to buy my first Gaiwan set. I drink mostly Japanese teas but I prefer the Gaiwan to Japanese teaware. Does anyone have recommendation for a place to buy teaware online that isn't going to take 4 months to ship to the US from China?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I'd like to buy my first Gaiwan set. I drink mostly Japanese teas but I prefer the Gaiwan to Japanese teaware. Does anyone have recommendation for a place to buy teaware online that isn't going to take 4 months to ship to the US from China?

TeaSource used to have a few Gaiwan cups, and the other US sites probably have something similar to this too https://www.teasource.com/collections/teapots/products/snow-white-gaiwan-teaset They ship USPS ground for what it costs them to send it, but it looks like it's just the one on their website now. SevenCups looks to have a few more, but I've not purchased anything from them before, but at least one other goon has. Check the first post for more links and options.

I know you don't want to wait 4 months to ship from China, so you should use TeaVivre if none of the options are what you want. It only takes a two weeks usually, and a few times it only took a week when I was living on the west coast. Their teas are good quality as well.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jhet posted:

TeaSource used to have a few Gaiwan cups, and the other US sites probably have something similar to this too https://www.teasource.com/collections/teapots/products/snow-white-gaiwan-teaset They ship USPS ground for what it costs them to send it, but it looks like it's just the one on their website now. SevenCups looks to have a few more, but I've not purchased anything from them before, but at least one other goon has. Check the first post for more links and options.

I know you don't want to wait 4 months to ship from China, so you should use TeaVivre if none of the options are what you want. It only takes a two weeks usually, and a few times it only took a week when I was living on the west coast. Their teas are good quality as well.

I wound up buying the plain white Gaiwan and four cups from TeaVivre. I had it shipped directly to Japan (I have a US Post Office Box here too but a buddy has a Japanese mailing address) since it was free and says it will only take 5 days.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I bought a cheap gaiwan at a Vietnamese grocery store for less than $3. The ceramic is pretty thin and it gets really hot but it has pretty dragons on it! :downs:

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I wound up buying the plain white Gaiwan and four cups from TeaVivre. I had it shipped directly to Japan (I have a US Post Office Box here too but a buddy has a Japanese mailing address) since it was free and says it will only take 5 days.

Did you get any tea with it? I also just got a plain white gaiwan from TeaVivee (100ml size) and I'm loving it. As stated here previously, the Premium Long Jing is absolutely delicious. I can't stop smelling the dry leaf, and the chestnut aroma that comes from the tea itself is mouth-watering.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

futurememory posted:

Did you get any tea with it? I also just got a plain white gaiwan from TeaVivee (100ml size) and I'm loving it. As stated here previously, the Premium Long Jing is absolutely delicious. I can't stop smelling the dry leaf, and the chestnut aroma that comes from the tea itself is mouth-watering.

I bought some Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea to take the order above 40 dollars and qualify it for free shipping. I know it's probably blasphemy but I have some nice Japanese teas that I am going to use the gaiwan for too. I am particularly fond of Hojicha Roasted Green Tea that I picked up from Yunomi.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You guys'll recall me asking about brewing iced green tea a few days ago. I forgot to post about it, but i tried both brewing hot and chilling, and brewing cold overnight in the fridge. Between the two, brewing hot produced a stronger, slightly bitter tea(almost definitely slightly over-steeped), and the cold brew produced a much milder, floral tea that was overall better, but didn't take to sweetening via simple syrup as well for some reason.

Anyway, I've got a few sample size bags of loose leaf black, rooibos, oolong, and white to try as well. Do the same general rules for cold brewing apply as well to all of those, or are they different between the different types?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I bought some Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea to take the order above 40 dollars and qualify it for free shipping. I know it's probably blasphemy but I have some nice Japanese teas that I am going to use the gaiwan for too. I am particularly fond of Hojicha Roasted Green Tea that I picked up from Yunomi.

I think hojicha leaves aren't as fine as sencha or gyokuro so a gaiwan is fine for that. It's really more an issue of the leaves getting through for most japanese teas

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

You guys'll recall me asking about brewing iced green tea a few days ago. I forgot to post about it, but i tried both brewing hot and chilling, and brewing cold overnight in the fridge. Between the two, brewing hot produced a stronger, slightly bitter tea(almost definitely slightly over-steeped), and the cold brew produced a much milder, floral tea that was overall better, but didn't take to sweetening via simple syrup as well for some reason.

Anyway, I've got a few sample size bags of loose leaf black, rooibos, oolong, and white to try as well. Do the same general rules for cold brewing apply as well to all of those, or are they different between the different types?

Black teas, most herbal, and rooibos will all need to be hot steeped. You should account for the extra water you'll be adding in ice form, so I usually go double strong for it. Oolong I would also brew like normal but stronger, but I'm not sure how it would taste after sitting in the fridge. Unless it's a green oolong, it probably won't take well to a cold steep.

Best way to find out what you like is to make a bunch of mason jars full of samples and go from there.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I've done roasted oolongs and shou puerh for overnight cold steep and its fine? Had to break apart the puerh more loosely, but it came out good if actually a little too strong.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have had a great deal of success cold brewing both black and green teas. I use these:

http://takeyausa.com/shop/flash-chill-2qt

I use the same ratio of tea to leaves that I use for regular brewing and keep everything in my refrigerator overnight (or 8-12 hours). Once I am finished with the infusion I remove the leaves and cold brew them a second time for 12 hours.

You can get away with using lower quality tea because the cold brewing will mellow any astringency you'd normally see from heating it up. I usually just throw my oldest leaves in the pitchers since I almost always buy more tea than I can drink before it starts to get stale.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I drink scads of green tea and used to fill a water bottle with ice cubes,a tea bag, and water. It always steeped nicely, although if the teabags are those cheap paper ones they might break open if shaken a lot in a knapsack or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of iced tea, any recommendations for types or specific teas work best iced?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of iced tea, any recommendations for types or specific teas work best iced?

I love iced jasmine green tea. So much. The stuff from Adagio is fine for it. I also like the cherry herbal tea from there iced.

And still standing by my grocery store green tea for iced tea. Bigelow Organic green tea, brewed double strength, makes a nice and cheap iced tea. It tastes like it's sencha. Maybe try some sencha to ice, too.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got my adagio order in 2 days ago and i love everything. Already tore through half of each of the 4 fandom samples i got (deanna's undertale series, everything owned) and made 2 pitchers of berry blast to chill, second time i mixed it 50/50 with their chocolate chai and it added a ton of deep rich flavors.

Already placed a second order now that i have a better idea of what i like and will need more of.

Lapsang souchung is amazing, it tastes like I'm drinking tea next to a fire while camping.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Its a good time of year for tea snobs, the first flush darjeelings are on the market and the Spring cutting of Chinese greens and oolongs are available as well. I'm about to drop $400+ on an order from China; it should last till winter if I take my time. The weather was good this year, I'm looking forward to the Bi Lo Chun in particular. I've been out of it for a while and drinking summer harvest Lung Jing, which is ok.

DontAskKant posted:

Does anyone work in tea education for a tea company? I just moved back to the US (Seattle) and I'm finding lots of coffee shops don't know how to make their expensive tea. I helped a Stumptown affiliate develop their program and am thinking this might be an opportunity to sneak in the business.

I just have them give me the leaves and water separate and do it myself. They often give you way to much leaf for the water too, so I take the excess home.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Amazon has tons of gaiwans and other tea ware. I've been using one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QOOCGRQ/

On the subject of storage, the best container I've found yet is this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHR9R5I/

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

taters posted:

Its a good time of year for tea snobs, the first flush darjeelings are on the market and the Spring cutting of Chinese greens and oolongs are available as well. I'm about to drop $400+ on an order from China; it should last till winter if I take my time. The weather was good this year, I'm looking forward to the Bi Lo Chun in particular. I've been out of it for a while and drinking summer harvest Lung Jing, which is ok.

I just have them give me the leaves and water separate and do it myself. They often give you way to much leaf for the water too, so I take the excess home.

Amazon has tons of gaiwans and other tea ware. I've been using one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QOOCGRQ/

Yeah I bought the same one but it came to my house broken so I packed it up and returned it to Amazon. I picked up a plain white porcelain Gaiwan and four teacups off of Teavivre for around the same price.

I live right down the road from Arita so I have a TON of Japanese porcelain stuff already but they aren't into Chinese style teaware.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

I love iced jasmine green tea. So much. The stuff from Adagio is fine for it. I also like the cherry herbal tea from there iced.

And still standing by my grocery store green tea for iced tea. Bigelow Organic green tea, brewed double strength, makes a nice and cheap iced tea. It tastes like it's sencha. Maybe try some sencha to ice, too.

I got a whole leaf darjeeling-ceylon blend from upton that I am cold brewing over night tonight.

Also ended up with a cranberry tea and a peach one (both are black teas). Totally forgot to get some green.

Any big differences between cold and hot brew I should be aware of?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got a whole leaf darjeeling-ceylon blend from upton that I am cold brewing over night tonight.

Also ended up with a cranberry tea and a peach one (both are black teas). Totally forgot to get some green.

Any big differences between cold and hot brew I should be aware of?

The cold brew tea will almost always come out with a more mellow flavor than the same leaves used to brew with hot water. You can also reuse the leaves a second time to very good effect of you lengthen the cold brew time to around twelve hours.

I don't waste money on super expensive stuff if I am using it for iced tea because my palette can't tell the difference. I don't use sawdust or anything but I've gotten away with using CTC Assam tea and less expensive blends to good effect.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I've been drinking cacao nibs steeped in water in a teaball cause it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Anyone else done this before? Would there be any health benefits or are health benefits from tea generally malarkey? Would you consume the spent nibs or just throw them out?

Since they're beans I guess technically they'd be a coffee.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Well, here's the first google result.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Thoht posted:

Well, here's the first google result.

Those hipsters in the picture are enough to convince me that it's bullshit.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

vermin posted:

I've been drinking cacao nibs steeped in water in a teaball cause it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Anyone else done this before? Would there be any health benefits or are health benefits from tea generally malarkey? Would you consume the spent nibs or just throw them out?

Since they're beans I guess technically they'd be a coffee.

The only 100% verifiable health benefit of drinking tea is that it's capable of hydration* due to all that H2O you're steeping it in. Anything else is just pop culture 'science' until you see something with scientific data with repeatable results.

*There's caffeine though which is a mild diuretic and will encourage you to express that hydration.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Cacao nibs aren't that uncommon as a tea ingredient. I've had them mixed in with mint for a mint chocolate-y tea, or even with rooibos. If it tastes good and doesn't make you feel sick, then go big wild.

Also yeah, "health benefits" from most any food are mostly garbage science (or more likely bad journalism hyping up some test results) unless you're talking about common sense stuff like eating citrus/fruits occasionally so you don't get scurvy or having a vegetable now and then or whatever.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Thanks for the answers everybody. Especially the rooibos suggestion.

I'm not normally a tea drinker so I'm waiting for a Monty Python character to walk in and smack it out of my hands for doing it wrong

I made: 2 rooibos tea bags, 3 tbs cacao nibs, little bit of cinnamon, steeped for 10 minutes, then added a half-and-half creamer packet

vermin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 25, 2017

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I have had a great deal of success cold brewing both black and green teas. I use these:

http://takeyausa.com/shop/flash-chill-2qt

I use the same ratio of tea to leaves that I use for regular brewing and keep everything in my refrigerator overnight (or 8-12 hours). Once I am finished with the infusion I remove the leaves and cold brew them a second time for 12 hours.

You can get away with using lower quality tea because the cold brewing will mellow any astringency you'd normally see from heating it up. I usually just throw my oldest leaves in the pitchers since I almost always buy more tea than I can drink before it starts to get stale.

I use the same thing for cold brew tea. So far I've had great success with sencha green tea and Earl grey cold brew (the citrus is really pronounced and it makes a fantastic milk tea). i had a couple of bad batches of cold brew English breakfast tea, but it may have been the leaves. Cold brew green tea is really nice though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Having never cold-brewed tea, here's a rookie question: how do you not overbrew green tea when doing it cold? Is it purely a matter of temperature (compared to hot brewing) rather than how long it sits?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I've cold brewed lovely green tea (bagged stuff because I was specifically looking for "Earl grey green" and couldn't find much loose) for almost 20 hours by mistake and didn't notice much over steeping. There's probably a real answer to this question though, and I'll be glad to hear it.

(related: cold brew Earl grey green + mint tea is real good..)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

In my experience you can use too much tea but not really overbrew it. I use about 8-10g/L for greens. Less if it's gunpowder or something harsher than whatever generic loose green I have in bulk.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Does anyone here regularly make those Taiwanese milk teas? I was hoping somebody could recommend what tea-milk-icewater ratios they use. Every tutorial I see seems to recommend very different amounts. Thing is, I really like that strong flavor to the milk tea but that means using 50% tea 25% milk 25% ice water then that'll really drain my supply. Was hoping to get that Earl Grey-flavored milk.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Trabant posted:

Having never cold-brewed tea, here's a rookie question: how do you not overbrew green tea when doing it cold? Is it purely a matter of temperature (compared to hot brewing) rather than how long it sits?

I started out infusing tea leaves for 24 hours and only realized you could get away with less time when my wife invited folks over and I needed to make the tea more quickly. I figured if 24 hours gave a good flavor, 12 hours would be ok but just weaker. Turns out I was wrong and 8-12 hours seems to be the sweet spot because you can re use the same leaves a second time to good effect.

Unless you are leaving the leaves in your container for days at a time I don't think you are going to have any issues with over infusion. Even then you might just find that the leaves lose all their flavor and can't be used a second time.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you for the tips, folks! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Love Stole the Day posted:

Does anyone here regularly make those Taiwanese milk teas? I was hoping somebody could recommend what tea-milk-icewater ratios they use. Every tutorial I see seems to recommend very different amounts. Thing is, I really like that strong flavor to the milk tea but that means using 50% tea 25% milk 25% ice water then that'll really drain my supply. Was hoping to get that Earl Grey-flavored milk.

I don't make anything that I think is specifically Taiwanese (my exposure is through American-Chinese milk tea from stuff like bubble tea places) but I find that the most important part is steeping extra dark/strong tea so it retains the flavor better after being diluted with milk. I also do not add any extra water after brewing so my ratio is 75% tea 25% milk to get the milk tea(but I also prefer mine darker/more tea-y than milky) ? I think 50/50 would produce what youre looking for but I'm not sure), then add ice if wanted but I prefer mine with no ice.

So what I usually do is brew my tea in bulk (50% water so it's double strong. sometimes I bring water to a rapid boil, reduce heat so it isn't rolling anymore then add tea 1 "serving" of black to 4 oz of water and let it steep/simmer until it's very dark and very bitter), add sugar to it right at the end so I have a bitter dark slightly sweet tea, then chill it and pour myself a cup of that and add milk and ice as wanted throughout the week. I prefer my milk tea/british style Earl grey with milk with over steeped very bitter tea but ymmv on that front. I get the good Earl grey milk tea taste by using vanilla almond milk when I make milk tea because I usually steep the tea using FooJoy's milk tea specifc tea bags lol. I have previously done it with nice Earl grey from upton tea + regular milk w/ the same ratios and it comes out great, I just tend to save that for non chilled milk tea.

related; I just moved to a new apartment and discovered a whole bag of caramel black tea from upton that I had bought and never opened! I've been making milk tea with it this week. I think making milk tea with all of this and making cold steeped green tea for my roommate is a good way to get my stock down so I can buy more tea...