Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My first film teacher in college (about 2009) refused to make the transfer to DVD, so we got to watch Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, and Bicycle Thieves on a cinema-sized screen via his incredibly ancient VHS tapes. It was horrible, he'd obviously screened them all a billion times so they were just, like, utterly and thoroughly dilapidated. The funniest thing was when he'd freeze-frame to talk about the cinematography and we'd all have to stare at this jittery, blurry mess while he talked about chiaroscuro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's just that you keep retreating to "it's just a comedy show" which is an argument that requires you to not only ignore the present context but also the context of the last decade and change

Oh, I have no problem ceding that they're comedy shows about politics. Or political shows with an emphasis on comedy. It still doesn't change my viewpoint that these shows aren't there to make you activists, and they're not inherently trash just because they don't incite people to become activists.

They can be trash for a variety of other reasons tho.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My first film teacher in college (about 2009) refused to make the transfer to DVD, so we got to watch Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, and Bicycle Thieves on a cinema-sized screen via his incredibly ancient VHS tapes. It was horrible, he'd obviously screened them all a billion times so they were just, like, utterly and thoroughly dilapidated. The funniest thing was when he'd freeze-frame to talk about the cinematography and we'd all have to stare at this jittery, blurry mess while he talked about chiaroscuro.

That sounds comically awful.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

In film school this kid decided to do a similar thing, proclaiming the virtues of Red Riding Hood. I have no idea. At one point he praised the look, likening it to The Lord Of The Rings.

Well, Red Riding Hood is good. It's great trash cinema, and it's not like it's not out-there enough or has bad production design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piFTKwqrqYA

gently caress it, it's better than LotR

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

K. Waste posted:

Well, Red Riding Hood is good. It's great trash cinema, and it's not like it's not out-there enough or has bad production design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piFTKwqrqYA

gently caress it, it's better than LotR

It's actually worth watching? I've never seen it, but that guy's movie palette was shallow as gently caress and his arguments were really bad so I dismissed it.

Now I feel bad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's actually worth watching? I've never seen it, but that guy's movie palette was shallow as gently caress and his arguments were really bad so I dismissed it.

Now I feel bad.

It's not, like, the best Catherine Hardwicke joint (that's probably a toss-up between Twilight and Lords of Dogtown), but it's got Gary Oldman as a inquisitor with silver fingernails and an iron elephant that he uses to torture suspected witches/werewolves. It's a modern teen movie take on those classic schlock, British rustic horror movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh, I have no problem ceding that they're comedy shows about politics. Or political shows with an emphasis on comedy. It still doesn't change my viewpoint that these shows aren't there to make you activists, and they're not inherently trash just because they don't incite people to become activists.

See this whole idea of inciting/not inciting people to activism is really not what I'm getting at, I just think that if a work of art/media is explicitly political, then yes, it does bear some responsibility for its message. Especially when these shows are so often playing as instructional in a very deliberate way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the only responsibility an artist can fulfill on that end is to honestly express their views. They can't be expected to espouse something they're not actually convinced of- at least not very well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See this whole idea of inciting/not inciting people to activism is really not what I'm getting at, I just think that if a work of art/media is explicitly political, then yes, it does bear some responsibility for its message. Especially when these shows are so often playing as instructional in a very deliberate way.

That actually helps me understand your pov better, thanks.

K. Waste posted:

It's not, like, the best Catherine Hardwicke joint (that's probably a toss-up between Twilight and Lords of Dogtown), but it's got Gary Oldman as a inquisitor with silver fingernails and an iron elephant that he uses to torture suspected witches/werewolves. It's a modern teen movie take on those classic schlock, British rustic horror movies.

Honestly, this sounds like it can only disappoint.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Best movies where nazis/kkk get hosed up?
-Bad Boys II
-Green Room
-Raiders/Last Crusade
-The Blues Brothers
-Fury

What else?

Brotherhood of Death.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd rather not know any further details about Nightmare Dewey.

More like Don'ty.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
American Ring remake was tops. One of my favorite PG-13 horror films. It's a shame Verbinksi became obsessed with bloated, excessively expensive blockbusters. Rango was cool though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Settle down. I disagree. But I like the idea that a show has to explicitly state its intentions before hand like they're explaining a morality puppet show for toddlers.

Calling astronomers so they can watch a black hole form in real time you dense motherfucker

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Calling astronomers so they can watch a black hole form in real time you dense motherfucker

:11tea:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That sounds comically awful.

It's a politics show that is about comedy that despite being nominally the opposition does nothing but lull a large subset of liberals into a false sense of security because Jon Stewart brutally owned someone and thus there is nothing to fear

We literally have Stewart and his I'm not a journalist it's just comedy poo poo to thank for this btw

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

[...] does nothing but lull a large subset of liberals into a false sense of security because Jon Stewart brutally owned someone and thus there is nothing to fear

You forgot an 'imo' in there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I'm not the one who keeps retreating back to it's just a comedy show maaaaaan it's not their responsibility to incite activism like activism is a thing that just springs fully formed from the heads of angry college kids and not something that should be encouraged by everyone remotely left of center

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You forgot an 'imo' in there.

Suck my dick

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Actually sir you committed a Hapsburg Nutsack Fallacy by not explicitly stating that you were expressing your own personal opinion thus according to the rules of order you have ceded the point to me, checkmate sir

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm not the one who keeps retreating back to it's just a comedy show maaaaaan it's not their responsibility to incite activism like activism is a thing that just springs fully formed from the heads of angry college kids and not something that should be encouraged by everyone remotely left of center

I haven't retreated to anything and you're just retreading the 'they have a responsibility as a tv show to do a thing' mindset. Which is fine, but I disagree.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Actually sir you committed a Hapsburg Nutsack Fallacy by not explicitly stating that you were expressing your own personal opinion thus according to the rules of order you have ceded the point to me, checkmate sir

No, I said that because you explicitly stated a point of view and opinion like it was a fact.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I haven't retreated to anything and you're just retreading the 'they have a responsibility as a tv show to do a thing' mindset. Which is fine, but I disagree.

They have a responsibility as human beings

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, I said that because you explicitly stated a point of view and opinion like it was a fact.

Finger my rear end in a top hat while I jerk myself off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I mean, the statement "Sam Bee and John Oliver's tv programs are actively harmful to the cause of the American Left" sounds like it could use some citation.

It's completely okay to say the shows are trash to you personally because they clog up your newsfeed with 'wicked burns'. I agree, that's annoying.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Well, I think that...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ah, okay.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Getting away from this, who's the best Sense8 character and why is it the Van drat

it's actually lito's boyfriend

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I cannot get over Charlize Theron's performance in Kubo. She just sounds so bored.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm having trouble deciding on which show to see for my last day in New York, and I think I've narrowed it down to two. So, CineD, tell me, which should I go see:

Present Laughter, a Noel Coward comedy starring Kevin Kline (who will probably win the Tony for Best Actor) and featuring Cobie Smulders in a bunch of classy evening gowns.

or

A Doll's House Part 2, a Lucas Hnath play, written to be a sequel to the classic Ibsen play, starring Laurie Metcalf (who will probably win the Tony for Best Actress) and Chris Cooper.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm having trouble deciding on which show to see for my last day in New York, and I think I've narrowed it down to two. So, CineD, tell me, which should I go see:

Present Laughter, a Noel Coward comedy starring Kevin Kline (who will probably win the Tony for Best Actor) and featuring Cobie Smulders in a bunch of classy evening gowns.

or

A Doll's House Part 2, a Lucas Hnath play, written to be a sequel to the classic Ibsen play, starring Laurie Metcalf (who will probably win the Tony for Best Actress) and Chris Cooper.

Hmmmm I love Kevin Kline but I have an intense irrational dislike for Cobie Smulders

Do 2 Doll 2 House

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

We use a word around here called "Please", mister

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
okay, The Ring Virus rules

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Suck my dick

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Come to Boston Comic Con.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Come to Boston Comic Con.

Boston Comic Con sounds like a hoot

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DC Murderverse posted:

or

these both suck go see Dianne Wiest in Happy Days at BAM

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Not seeing a stage play during my time in NYC will forever be a personal regret. So see any of them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Not seeing a stage play during my time in NYC will forever be a personal regret. So see any of them.

my entire purpose for visiting New York pretty much every time I've been has been to see shows. I saw Oslo last night, which is going to be nominated for Oscars when it gets turned into a movie (probably starring Brie Larson and featuring at least one Skarsgaard). This evening my entire family and my sister's beau went and saw Bette Midler bring down the loving house in Hello Dolly, which is about as classically Broadway as you can get.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

these both suck go see Dianne Wiest in Happy Days at BAM

i mean not to insult you, Ms. Wiest, or the theater going public at large, but if I have to sit through a Samuel Beckett show ever again I will shoot myself in the face

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Boston Comic Con sounds like a hoot

Get this: It's a Comic Book Convention in Boston.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean not to insult you, Ms. Wiest, or the theater going public at large, but if I have to sit through a Samuel Beckett show ever again I will shoot myself in the face

I take that extremely personally.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I take that extremely personally.

go watch a community theater production of Endgame and get back to me

I'm also just really not a fan of his particular curtness of dialogue and ideas. His shows are comedies, but they've always come across as sort of grim and self-serious to me. Plus the whole thing with his complete insistence on absolutely nothing changing in order for someone to do one of his shows is lame.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DC Murderverse posted:

(probably starring Brie Larson and featuring at least one Skarsgaard).

What film doesn't these days.

CPL593H posted:

Get this: It's a Comic Book Convention in Boston.

rear end fingering ratio steady across the board?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DC Murderverse posted:

go watch a community theater production of Endgame and get back to me

I'm also just really not a fan of his particular curtness of dialogue and ideas. His shows are comedies, but they've always come across as sort of grim and self-serious to me. Plus the whole thing with his complete insistence on absolutely nothing changing in order for someone to do one of his shows is lame.

Community theater will kill anything and Beckett was a crackpot but Happy Days is one of the most gorgeous and spectacular anythings about the temerity of human life in the face of guaranteed suffering.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

rear end fingering ratio steady across the board?

Probably only if they have Joss Whedon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

lol what the gently caress. It's not called an idiot box because people turn to it to become smart. TV is pop trash top to bottom.

Just got out of Jeffrey Combs' one man Edgar Allan Poe show, Nevermore. If you're in Los Angeles, he's doing one more show tomorrow, then they're tearing down the Steve Allen theater to put up condos. :(

• Locked thread