Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Current Event: The gold bond video is back on youtube and hasn't been taken down yet. Get a golden breathmint for your balls while you can.

https://youtu.be/IngTDThANfE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

It take a long time to release them. Apparently the Hamilton ones just came out.

Amazing audio quality too.

shame on an IGA posted:

Current Event: The gold bond video is back on youtube and hasn't been taken down yet. Get a golden breathmint for your balls while you can.

Ahahahhaha

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Downloaded. gently caress the haters, that must never die.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ded posted:

Isn't everything that happens in the White House recorded? It would be odd if it was not.

To be 100% clear, everyone learned after Nixon that executive privilege can't shield those sort of recordings from a subpoena if there is reason to believe a crime occurred.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

Isn't everything that happens in the White House recorded? It would be odd if it was not.

The main thing is that any and all White House recordings automatically fall under Federal records law and must be provided to Congress if Congress asks. Otherwise, you're violating federal law if you, say, try to destroy said tapes.

Donnie has a thing for taping people and he has absolutely no knowledge about political history. So, he probably asked to record everything!

At worst, now people are going to be a lot less willing to talk to him since they're being recorded. So, win-win, even if they don't find anything on the tapes.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

shame on an IGA posted:

PAINFUL SACK TEAR

EDIT: In non sack tear-related news, the raddest president of Finland died last night:
https://twitter.com/TPKanslia/status/863111782252109824

quote:

Mauno Koivisto has died at the age of 93. Koivisto took over as president in 1984 after Urho Kekkonen had held the office for 26 years. His two terms in office, ending in 1994, saw upheaval in Finland’s foreign and domestic policies with the collapse of the Soviet Union and Finland applying to join the European Union.

After Kekkonen’s authoritarian rule, Koivisto also helped strengthen the role of parliament to help balance the power of the president’s office.

In addition to serving as the ninth president of independent Finland, Koivisto also held the roles of Prime Minister, Finance Minister and Chairman of the Board of the Bank of Finland.
Born in Turku, Koivisto was awared the Order of the Cross of Liberty (2nd class) for his feats in the Continuation War. He then worked in Turku harbour and became active in Social Democratic politics.

Since this is GIP, here's a thing about what he did in the war:

quote:

During the Continuation War, Koivisto served in the Infantry Detachment Törni led by the famous Lauri Törni, which was a reconnaissance detachment operating behind enemy lines. This detachment was only open to selected volunteers.[3] During the war he received the Order of the Cross of Liberty (2nd class) and was promoted to the rank of corporal. While reflecting on his wartime experiences later in life, he said "When you have taken part in a game in which your own life is at stake, all other games are small after that".

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 13, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Missionary Positron posted:

PAINFUL SACK TEAR

EDIT: In non sack tear-related news, the raddest president of Finland died last night:
https://twitter.com/TPKanslia/status/863111782252109824

Since this is GIP, here's a thing about what he did in the war:

Not even sarcastic o7

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Not even sarcastic o7

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvLQqe79eGY

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I used to really like Real Time but I can't handle Maher's loving screeching anymore.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MA-Horus posted:

I used to really like Real Time but I can't handle Maher's loving screeching anymore.

he's always been an arrogant dumbass.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
He's always been trash. I had a lapse of judgement in the fall because he was doing a good job taking liberals to task over some of their poo poo, i.e. free speech issues on campus. Then he had milo on his show and I came to my senses

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

same but this was funny enough

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

He's always been trash. I had a lapse of judgement in the fall because he was doing a good job taking liberals to task over some of their poo poo, i.e. free speech issues on campus. Then he had milo on his show and I came to my senses

Yeah, Bill Maher is real smart. You are really smart for watching and enjoying BIll Maher.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/863397681414189059

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD_TWRrM9NQ

We've got a president politicking at Liberty U again, live now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
what in the crap

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/863406417138651137

Edit: neat story on how the ransomware spread was halted yesterday, kinda sorta by accident early https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/863364498215890948

Edit2: goddamn they even posted an XP patch to fix it https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/863408212896337923

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 13, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The way Bill Maher speaks in that overly condescending tone annoys me too much to enjoy his stuff for more than five minutes.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Lol that the only school Trump could conceivably talk at was Liberty U, which had a compulsory attendance policy for the ceremony with the threat of kicking people out for booing.

A christian for profit (?) school owned by Jerry Falwell lol

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Trump/Miscavige 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/863401376487010304

Only landowners should be allowed to vote!

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

TBeats posted:

The way Bill Maher speaks in that overly condescending tone annoys me too much to enjoy his stuff for more than five minutes.

Yeah, I agree, and when he does segments on something I have more than a passing knowledge on he kinda sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about

They are really touting that info graphic around without the asterisk that more than half the country's population lives in that little bit of blue.

Like it's such a huge caveat to it, that it has to be either a troll or a staggering lack of self awareness.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: neat story on how the ransomware spread was halted yesterday, kinda sorta by accident early https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/863364498215890948

That's cool as gently caress. That guy's a goddamn hero.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Belgian Waffle posted:

That's cool as gently caress. That guy's a goddamn hero.

Well, you say that, but that domain he registered without testing could have also been a wipe switch. He just registered the domain as soon as he saw it looking for it rather than seeing what happened if it resolved first. The worm writers could have very easily just included a "delete everything" if it touched that site.

So he's accidentally a hero, but his work breaking down the worm is drat good regardless.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, you say that, but that domain he registered without testing could have also been a wipe switch. He just registered the domain as soon as he saw it looking for it rather than seeing what happened if it resolved first. The worm writers could have very easily just included a "delete everything" if it touched that site.

So he's accidentally a hero, but his work breaking down the worm is drat good regardless.

Did you read the article?? They tried to do exactly that

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

The story gets better.

He's a 22-year old guy living in his parents house in England and works for an LA-based firm. He registered the domain for $10.69 and arguably saved lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ndroidApp_Tweet

nice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Did you read the article?? They tried to do exactly that

He didn't figure out what the domain did until after he registered it. That's the dangerous part.

Oct
Jul 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He didn't figure out what the domain did until after he registered it. That's the dangerous part.

It's a fair concern, however it would also be pretty inconsistent with the way ransomware (and most commodity malware, botnets, etc.) tends to function. His blog post (linked in the tweet) summarizes what is most likely correct: the authors used the unregistered domain as a poor anti-sandbox technique. Most modern sandboxes (as well as analysis VMs like Remnux) use a fake DNS and webserver configuration. By having the malware attempt to resolve that fake domain (some analysis writeups noted that the domain looked like random keyboard mashing on the home row and number keys), it would know it was being detonated in a sandbox if it received a valid response. This in turn would cause the malware to stop executing and not fully unpack and deploy its payload.

Again, yes, in a certain sense it's careless to register a domain without context, but given our understanding of common malware functionalities, it would be pretty unlikely to see a valid domain query response met with some sort of dead-hand scorched earth switch. Because the author's objective is to make money, there's little value in that (because of the crypto, there's little point in adding the code needed to destructively erase the encrypted data to impair forensic recovery; doing so adds a lot of additional layers of complexity and custom coding, which costs them more money). Similarly, they know that it's pointless to do if it's being run in a sandbox (because the analyst doesn't give a poo poo).

I'm inclined to believe this was more of a proof of concept run, with the side effect of making a bit of cash. The author will probably be able to afford some better anti-analysis code with the cash they made this time around.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Ya I agree

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
According to reports, Trump is openly musing about firing Spicer :(

In other news, Eurovision is on now, friends. Please join us in one of the best television shows on this planet.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Lol that the only school Trump could conceivably talk at was Liberty U, which had a compulsory attendance policy for the ceremony with the threat of kicking people out for booing.

A christian for profit (?) school owned by Jerry Falwell lol

Non-profit, surprisingly. Which is interesting considering Liberty is constantly buying up property in Lynchburg and always building new stuff. You come into town and it's cranes all over the place putting together dorms and apartments and poo poo for the school. Not for other people of course, school use only.

This is also the same school that has brownshirts wandering town looking for rule violators. I had one stomp up to me in a parking lot and demand my papers so he could give me demerits for swearing in public.

Because everyone in Lynchburg is a Liberty student, you see. :downs:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Capn Beeb posted:

Non-profit, surprisingly. Which is interesting considering Liberty is constantly buying up property in Lynchburg and always building new stuff. You come into town and it's cranes all over the place putting together dorms and apartments and poo poo for the school. Not for other people of course, school use only.

This is also the same school that has brownshirts wandering town looking for rule violators. I had one stomp up to me in a parking lot and demand my papers so he could give me demerits for swearing in public.

jfc, i need more "Liberty" stories from lynchburg

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Please tell us more about the brown shirts.

E: it's crazy to me that they actually try and give you demerits or something in town.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/863479169556074496

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I want to go to Lynchburg now just to trigger idiots.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there anything in Lynchburg worth visiting? 'Cause goddamn, I think it might almost be worth a drive out there to troll those fucks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Telling someone you don't know who they are to produce ID so they can ruin your academic life sounds like a good way to get beaten purple and stuffed in a storm drain.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

McNally posted:

Is there anything in Lynchburg worth visiting? 'Cause goddamn, I think it might almost be worth a drive out there to troll those fucks.

No. It's in the corner of Virginia where there's literally nothing of use.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

No. It's in the corner of Virginia where there's literally nothing of use.

I'm not sure if it's worth driving three hours to hang around town on the off chance I get to gently caress with a Liberty University brownshirt. I'm not that bored.

Yet.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just think of how much someone has to suck to look at all of the other universities in Virginia and say, "I want to go to Liberty."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I stopped to eat in Lynchburg once passing through it's some creepy poo poo. Even Bob Jones is better simply by virtue of being in Greenville.

• Locked thread