Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kokoro Wish posted:

The thing I'd love to see from an Alien game is something along the lines of Friday the 13th's asymetrical multiplayer. Humans trying to achieve an objective and escape/kill the Alien player. Alien attempting to kill or abduct everyone.

I think there should be a good co-op game with Alien Isolation's AI and engine, I don't think it should be multiplayer. Putting a person in control of the Alien would be a trainwreck considering you can't kill it and it's better than you in every way. It also wouldn't help that you couldn't trick it with sounds or hide from it like you can in A:I since Alien players will just check every closet and bottom of all of the tables.

Oxxidation posted:

The worst thing about being a horror fan is the more you like it, the less it works for you.

Yeah, I used to play horror games for the thrill of it but now I play them for their art style, story and gameplay. It's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Crabtree posted:

Are the people behind Cryostasis and The Void the only ones putting out a distinct Russian/Eastern European Horror?

Cryostasis devs in the absence of Russian publishers' money have switched to mobile games last time I checked.

Stalker and Metro games are occasionally horror-like and made by the same generation of devs who were born in the Soviet Union and grew up in Ukraine. Layers of Fear and Agony are Polish games, but form what I can tell there's very little specifically Polish about them, which is a shame. They could build a game around the death camps for example. Stalker would've been a less interesting game if it was set in some nondescript Fallout-ish wasteland. Or if Pathologic was set in Victorian England.

Horror doesn't need to be regional of course, but it helps. For foreign players it gives an atmosphere of otherness, for locals who aren't used to seeing familiar environments in games it's a thrill. It says something about the strength of Ukrainian culture that they had the courage to set a game not just in Ukraine, but in parts of Ukraine that most people would like to stay as far away from as possible. And the younger generation's resolve to leave all Soviet things behind was also supported by the game's strong association of its symbols with threat and decay. I mean Stalker is a big thing to Ukrainians, like Witcher is to Poles.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

loga mira posted:

Cryostasis devs in the absence of Russian publishers' money have switched to mobile games last time I checked.

Stalker and Metro games are occasionally horror-like and made by the same generation of devs who were born in the Soviet Union and grew up in Ukraine. Layers of Fear and Agony are Polish games, but form what I can tell there's very little specifically Polish about them, which is a shame. They could build a game around the death camps for example. Stalker would've been a less interesting game if it was set in some nondescript Fallout-ish wasteland. Or if Pathologic was set in Victorian England.

Horror doesn't need to be regional of course, but it helps. For foreign players it gives an atmosphere of otherness, for locals who aren't used to seeing familiar environments in games it's a thrill. It says something about the strength of Ukrainian culture that they had the courage to set a game not just in Ukraine, but in parts of Ukraine that most people would like to stay as far away from as possible. And the younger generation's resolve to leave all Soviet things behind was also supported by the game's strong association of its symbols with threat and decay. I mean Stalker is a big thing to Ukrainians, like Witcher is to Poles.

The cultures of that side of the world have such unique experiences and mythologies that do most of the work for you for any westerner that its just sad more haven't tried to capitalize on the clear advantage they have. Part of what sets in horror fatigue is essentially getting used to every trick that keeps getting repeated in the same formulas, and thus I believe horror is the genre most dependent on innovation to rekindle the fear others crave in ways they are not inoculated against.

It's why I'd actually like a game where you go up against Jiangshi or the hopping vampire of China, but as a foreigner player character for that moment where they first see them and they're laughing - until they start killing and uh, this is still a bad situation. Where you'd have to basically pick up the pieces of taoism and their cultures superstitions from scratch or observation if you want to survive and escape to safety.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 9, 2017

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

The thing I'd love to see from an Alien game is something along the lines of Friday the 13th's asymetrical multiplayer. Humans trying to achieve an objective and escape/kill the Alien player. Alien attempting to kill or abduct everyone.

My friends and I would play the old AvP gold game this way at lans. 1 alien, 2 or 3 marines, last one standing wins. Some of the levels gave the alien so many great opportunities for ambushes.

On the subject of horror specifically, that marine campaign scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Danaru posted:

I'd love to see more asymmetrical multiplayer games in general. I love Dead by Daylight, Friday the 13th looks like it'll be awesome, and... that's about it :smith:

dead realms and Damned are pretty neat from the youtube videos I've watched

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

loga mira posted:

There was no fear and no room for shadows under the glorious light of Marxism-Leninism. What terrifies former Soviet citizens is the horror of capitalism.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Final Station is in the new Humble Bundle, as well as the alpha for Hello Neighbor. Has anyone played either, and if so, were they good? They look good, but then again, so did Party Hard, which is also in the bundle, and terrible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I liked The Final Station a lot, really short at 3 hours. The survival stuff is pretty light and basically comes down to you having enough stuff to keep the passengers alive during the train rides if you care to do so. It can get pretty challenging though with fast enemies and ammo constantly being low.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Scary Game Squad just released the last installment of Outlast 2 and holy poo poo what a dumpster fire of an ending.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

H2SO4 posted:

Scary Game Squad just released the last installment of Outlast 2 and holy poo poo what a dumpster fire of an ending.

I mean, Outlast 2 was a dumpster fire of a game, what did you expect?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Once your plot involves rape babies being carried to term so they can be immediately sacrificed to jaysus and thrown into a big cross shaped pit I'd hope you put the pen down until you turn at least fifteen or sixteen

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jukebox Hero posted:

Once your plot involves rape babies being carried to term so they can be immediately sacrificed to jaysus and thrown into a big cross shaped pit I'd hope you put the pen down until you turn at least fifteen or sixteen

The plot wasn't even the worse part about Outlast 2, the gameplay is worse than the plot if you can believe that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i found out that i really dislike games where you spend 75% of the time blindly running down a linear path in almost total darkness or blinding nightvision

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Carebearz posted:

I mean, Outlast 2 was a dumpster fire of a game, what did you expect?

It was somehow even worse than I was expecting despite the game being terrible too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just started playing Resident Evil 7 in VR. Dear holy gently caress. It's amazing how much more intense it feels than playing it without, though I played for about half an hour before I got too dizzy and had to hand it off to my friend who owns the VR. Still I'm digging the game, though I'm not a big fan of the combat right now because everything feels a little bullet-spongey. We just got the second handgun, and are learning how frequently we miss ammo because of the psychostimulants, though, so maybe the difficulty will even out a little.

That boss battle in the morgue though. Yikes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
RE7 gives you more ammo than you'd think it does. Don't be too trigger happy, take time lining stuff up and you'll still be carrying bags of ammunition after murdering everything. The bosses are definitely ammo sponges though, and the game does get real tense when you're running low after them.

Wish I had access to a VR set. I love that game and want to play it like that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

RE7 gives you more ammo than you'd think it does. Don't be too trigger happy, take time lining stuff up and you'll still be carrying bags of ammunition after murdering everything. The bosses are definitely ammo sponges though, and the game does get real tense when you're running low after them.

Wish I had access to a VR set. I love that game and want to play it like that.

Yeah we're starting to learn how combat works. Part of the problem seems like the black goo guys (the Molded? I'm not sure of their actual names) are easiest to fight if you get some distance and shoot them in the head, but sometimes the easiest way to get distance is the quick turn, which just about made my friend barf the first few times he did it in VR.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Don't forget you can block with any weapon in RE7, it makes you take like 1/10th the damage. You can knife molded to death to save ammo while losing very little health that way.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Switched.on posted:

My friends and I would play the old AvP gold game this way at lans. 1 alien, 2 or 3 marines, last one standing wins. Some of the levels gave the alien so many great opportunities for ambushes.

On the subject of horror specifically, that marine campaign scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Playing as the alien in PvP games was so much fun I just couldn't play any other role. Hiding in ceiling shadows, watching marines fire into other shadowy spots you'd hidden in before, before pouncing and taking a head off and scuttling back into hiding was just a total pleasure. So few games give me a "stick to walls" key as I run down a corridor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gromit posted:

Playing as the alien in PvP games was so much fun I just couldn't play any other role. Hiding in ceiling shadows, watching marines fire into other shadowy spots you'd hidden in before, before pouncing and taking a head off and scuttling back into hiding was just a total pleasure. So few games give me a "stick to walls" key as I run down a corridor.

The Hidden was a really cool mod that did that same kind of gameplay, only with a single mutant versus a special forces team. He was fragile as hell and had nothing but a knife and a few pipe bombs, but had Predator-style invisibility and could cling to walls. It took a few slashes to kill, but he could also do a "pigsticker" move that charged up and instagibbed the enemy.

He also got a few sound cues he could play to taunt people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNRRn2-zS0

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

Don't forget you can block with any weapon in RE7, it makes you take like 1/10th the damage. You can knife molded to death to save ammo while losing very little health that way.

I knew you could block but I honestly didn't know it made that big of a difference, that's good to know. It's tough to be all that focused on exactly how much health you're losing when you're getting mauled in VR, hah.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
People here liked Tattletail right? It just got a free DLC expansion called The Kaleidoscope. It's really short but it's different enough aesthetically from the main game that it'd be worth checking out if you liked the main game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MockingQuantum posted:

I knew you could block but I honestly didn't know it made that big of a difference, that's good to know. It's tough to be all that focused on exactly how much health you're losing when you're getting mauled in VR, hah.

It blocks over 50% of damage. It's a huge, huge difference that the game never really emphasizes. On Madhouse it's a skill you need to get into the habit of using.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

It blocks over 50% of damage. It's a huge, huge difference that the game never really emphasizes. On Madhouse it's a skill you need to get into the habit of using.

Any other tips, while we're on the subject of RE7? The only thing we were really told was "don't feel like you need to spend coins on the Magnum" because the game apparently gives you more guns than you can use by the end anyway?

One thing we're not sure of at this point is whether we should save our chem fluid to make healing items or if it's relatively safe to whip up ammo with them whenever you find some.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sound advice on the magnum. It's insanely powerful, but the ammo is so rare you'll be better off using your coins on the steroids and stabilizer instead. I tend to hoard fluid and craft what I need when the, uh, need arises - carry three healing fluid at all times and stash the rest IMO. When you get into the habit of blocking you shouldn't be splashing goo on yourself so much!

One thing that's easy to miss is the broken guns and their repair kits: the broken shotgun is found behind the upstairs scorpion door, and the broken pistol is found in Zoe's caravan. One repair kit is found underneath the porch just opposite from that caravan (there's a loose metal sheet you can pull away), and the second kit is found in a...later...area but a treasure photo will lead to you to it. That broken shotgun is a massive upgrade in terms of firepower, while the pistol is handy but the difference isn't so dramatic.

Otherwise I'd just take the game as it comes. Unless you're completely reckless you can't totally gently caress yourself.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Sound advice on the magnum. It's insanely powerful, but the ammo is so rare you'll be better off using your coins on the steroids and stabilizer instead. I tend to hoard fluid and craft what I need when the, uh, need arises - carry three healing fluid at all times and stash the rest IMO. When you get into the habit of blocking you shouldn't be splashing goo on yourself so much!

One thing that's easy to miss is the broken guns and their repair kits: the broken shotgun is found behind the upstairs scorpion door, and the broken pistol is found in Zoe's caravan. One repair kit is found underneath the porch just opposite from that caravan (there's a loose metal sheet you can pull away), and the second kit is found in a...later...area but a treasure photo will lead to you to it. That broken shotgun is a massive upgrade in terms of firepower, while the pistol is handy but the difference isn't so dramatic.

Otherwise I'd just take the game as it comes. Unless you're completely reckless you can't totally gently caress yourself.

So do we have to give up the standard shotgun in order to get the broken shotgun out of the room with the steel door in the main hall? Not that we'd really need two, I suppose, but I just want to make sure I'm thinking of the right broken shotgun here... We found the one under the porch and already used it on the handgun, which seemed like an alright choice.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MockingQuantum posted:

So do we have to give up the standard shotgun in order to get the broken shotgun out of the room with the steel door in the main hall? Not that we'd really need two, I suppose, but I just want to make sure I'm thinking of the right broken shotgun here... We found the one under the porch and already used it on the handgun, which seemed like an alright choice.

Yup, that's the case. Can put the standard shotgun back on its pedestal and reclaim the broken one. No use worrying about it now though! As you have some sort of shotgun to compliment the pistol you'll be fine. :)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

chitoryu12 posted:

The Hidden was a really cool mod that did that same kind of gameplay, only with a single mutant versus a special forces team. He was fragile as hell and had nothing but a knife and a few pipe bombs, but had Predator-style invisibility and could cling to walls. It took a few slashes to kill, but he could also do a "pigsticker" move that charged up and instagibbed the enemy.

He also got a few sound cues he could play to taunt people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNRRn2-zS0

I played that a bit years back. Being the hidden was tense as gently caress if you were against even a remotely competent and coordinated team and it was incredibly satisfying to be able to get even one kill especailly if you managed to get away without being killed or if you killed a lone straggler and hung their carcass up on the wall and use it to lure in people to pigstick. Being a soldier was a bit more relaxed since you had a ton of gadgets and guns and a whole team backing you up but you still had to worry about a invisible monster that could be literally everywhere and could kill you instantly if you hosed up.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
For those of you who don't own Alan Wake yet, it looks like it's being taken off of Steam soon and over the weekend it's going to be 90% off. So make sure to snatch it up if you get the chance (though it'll still be on GOG).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yeah get them, they're good games with a pretty decent story, gently caress the haters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

discworld is all I read posted:

For those of you who don't own Alan Wake yet, it looks like it's being taken off of Steam soon and over the weekend it's going to be 90% off. So make sure to snatch it up if you get the chance (though it'll still be on GOG).

Is there any particular reason given as to why they're being removed?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is there any particular reason given as to why they're being removed?

Music licensing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yeah get them, they're good games with a pretty decent story, gently caress the haters.

I wasn't a fan of the combat, but I should try again. It really is a great Stephen King game.

chitoryu12 posted:

The Hidden was great. One of my favourite gaming memories is playing it as a soldier in the sewer map and sticking close to another player. Eventually the other guy tells me to back the gently caress off because the Hidden has the pipe bombs. I, being cocky for some reason, replied that I have never seen the pipe bomb used to kill, only to startle and disorientate. Immediately, immediately, a pipe bomb sails through the air, lands at my feet and blows me the gently caress up. And hat's why I try to avoid being cocky.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

catlord posted:

I wasn't a fan of the combat, but I should try again. It really is a great Stephen King game.

Wasn't American Nightmare basically presented as an episode of The Twilight Zone? I bought them 4 years ago and never touched them (loving Steam sales), but I really should.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alan wake as a whole is pretty much a giant love letter to stephen king. the gameplay on the pc version is actually tighter overall, honestly, since you have the benefit of kb+m. i enjoyed it in the first place so it only got better. the main game even has an in-game live action version of their take on the twilight zone on various televisions which is funny as hell.

american nightmare is kind of weird and not exactly like the first game in that the story is a lot more disjointed and mostly serves to further you along as you do the pseudo-score attack gameplay. the actual combat is a lot more refined than the first game even if it doesn't have as good an atmosphere, so it's worth picking up if nothing else. it's also a hell of a lot better optimized on pc. makes me sad there was never an official sequel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also Alan Wake is modeled after real actor/model and handsome Finnish man Ilkka Villi, which means they got him to play Alan for a bunch of live action segments.

And it has some awesome music from one of my favorite bands, Poets of the Fall. The lead singer Maarko is a childhood best friend of Sam Lake from Remedy, so they're also the band behind "Late Goodbye" from Max Payne 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_hewSrAH4

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What other horror games that focus on you playing as the monster and killing all the victims before they can escape? I know several have that for pvp or as a side thing, but as the main campaign portion of a game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh, the PS2 Jaws game?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GlyphGryph posted:

What other horror games that focus on you playing as the monster and killing all the victims before they can escape? I know several have that for pvp or as a side thing, but as the main campaign portion of a game?

The Alien portions of Alien Vs Predator '99 and Alien Vs Predator 2. Technically the Predator campaign counts, but plays much more like a traditional FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I got Alan Wake but my ancient and weak graphics card doesn't work well with it. I can play but just barely. I ripped out and replaced everything else a couple of years ago but I think I should do the same with it because the game looks like it's extremely my poo poo.