Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
All the cars are exactly the same except they make future noises

JT goes all in on a poker game and has less than 20 seconds to live and not great Bob doesn't just wait him out

A bus fare is 2 hours instead of 1 and olivia wilde only has 1.5 hours and a bus full of people won't give her a minute each. Her trip is 2 hours away and the bus driver tells her to run. Like he told her to loving die

They keep mentioning money as much as they can but they call it time instead.

The mob is called the Minute Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

imagine if that was a darren aronosfky film starring like rufus sewell or something

i feel like im having trouble describing myself because it sounds like im coming off as a major rear end in a top hat, especially since its good that the movie was made with big money behind it because lol nothing new gets made anymore

still i just feel like its off somehow

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
There are good beats in it...

Pawn shop owner gives them less for something because he notices Amanda Seyfried has like a minute to live.

Poor people do everything faster.

Overall though it's very hard to take seriously though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Well yeah the premise is ridiculous and it doesn't make sense that these a list actors are in it

again, i think if it were a low budget thing it woulda owned

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Basically yes. Now, there are a million different philosophies on this, but just to give you a bit of my thinking....

The reason for this is that between those three lifts you're going to recruit roughly 99% of the musculature in your body. Without getting into the biochemistry of it all these lifts produce the best effects in your body. At the end of the day you've evolved to basically push a plow, and all movement in the human body is some variant of a push and a pull.

Squats, deadlift and press are going to be very stable lifts relative to other things. Your accessory lifts like curls, or shrugs, or whatever, they can vary day to day and are very hard to track. They're also very hard to plan for. Getting into your curl weights is a realm you don't want to get in to. The other four lifts are very easy to track and plan for.

I'm not saying don't do them. I personally do not because I found i made greater gains both in physique (although I kinda stopped caring about that completely) and strength when I adopted a more olympic style training regimen, but not everyone wants to learn to clean and snatch and poo poo and that's totally fine. to each their own. At the end of the day you have to find something you enjoy doing.

Now, i did not say bench press; i said press. However the difference between the two negligible, and i'll let you read up on the difference if you so desire. However, there are many articles about the benefits strict press (or military press) have on your bench.

Full disclosure: my bench is very underwhelming relative to the rest of my lifts. I have poor proportions and makeup for bench, but its kinda sad that I'm stuck around 110k 1RM considering everything else.

So most men in my experience can easily get into the 110-120k range on their backsquat without much trouble, then they hit that giant wall. Without seeing a video of your squat it would be difficult for me to assess. However, since you say 3x8 at just 10k less is easy, I suspect the problem is going to be form, simply because struggling at 120k v easily doing a set of 8 at 110k doesn't make much sense.

There are other factors as well: diet, drinking, sleep, etc. Again though, that's such a large discrepancy I'd bet the problem is actually in technique.

I mean again it sounds like you're doing something that makes you happy and that works for you.

I'd be more than happy to watch a video of your squat or whatever to see if there's something obvious that sticks out to me.

that movie would have been so much loving better if they hadn't cast timberlake.

the script is loving fantastic. Just imagine it if it was some gritty indie film.

yeah I know that sounds like angsty teenage film major .txt or whatever but I feel like it's just too pretty for how good the screenplay is.

Thanks for the advice mate, really appreciate it. I'll put in a call to a oly gym about 30 mins from me and go in for a session and get 'em to refine/check my technique. Any resources you can recommend online for guides to help me refine my program?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Thanks for the advice mate, really appreciate it. I'll put in a call to a oly gym about 30 mins from me and go in for a session and get 'em to refine/check my technique. Any resources you can recommend online for guides to help me refine my program?

Well there's a billion strength programs out there.

One of your most basic ones is going to be Stronglifts

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

This is a simple 5x5 that bases your lifts off percentages of your 1RM. When setting this up, since I think you might be technically deficient at higher weights, put in your 1RM as something you know you're squatting well. Like, maybe you've stood up with a bar and known it was 50/50 on whether you were going to slip a disc there. You know exactly what that weight is, so don't overdo it. Especially on your first program that isn't just you loving around in the gym.

The two most important things when starting your first strength cycle is to pick something simple and stick to it. The biggest mistake people make in the gym is switching up their routine every two weeks because they see some new program or another. Just trust it through, and assess where you are at the end of it.

When you go in, tell them that you're not interested in learning how to snatch and would just like someone to make sure you're in good position for your deadlift and backsquat.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Lmao they robbed a time bank and robin hooded the time

This economy makes no goddamned sense

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Well there's a billion strength programs out there.

One of your most basic ones is going to be Stronglifts

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

This is a simple 5x5 that bases your lifts off percentages of your 1RM. When setting this up, since I think you might be technically deficient at higher weights, put in your 1RM as something you know you're squatting well. Like, maybe you've stood up with a bar and known it was 50/50 on whether you were going to slip a disc there. You know exactly what that weight is, so don't overdo it. Especially on your first program that isn't just you loving around in the gym.

The two most important things when starting your first strength cycle is to pick something simple and stick to it. The biggest mistake people make in the gym is switching up their routine every two weeks because they see some new program or another. Just trust it through, and assess where you are at the end of it.

When you go in, tell them that you're not interested in learning how to snatch and would just like someone to make sure you're in good position for your deadlift and backsquat.

Will do.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

BlindSite for squats Here's what you're gonna do.

You're gonna take all the weight on your neck.

Then you're gonna jam your legs down and hyperextend your ankles... and then shoot back up and lock your knees in place.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Then you're gonna jam your legs down and hyperextend your ankles... and then shoot back up and lock your knees in place.

:)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Spoeank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hOfT5aQr8

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNT5BJIYCw4

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

5x5 was my first routine as a young boy

It is very good and simple to follow

Fiz definitely see Logan it's good

Shrimp watch the movie Creep on Netflix

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I went huge on the Celtics ML tonight

John Wall buried a 3 right in my rear end in a top hat.

gently caress me in the face

I was at the game, it was incredible

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I am ready for some football.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Arrow and Flash are good shows.

Supergirl is surprisingly good.

Why can't DC make movies

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Why can't DC make movies

They've tied themselves to zack Snyder because they can save money in production and they're going to make a fortune in china so who gives a poo poo.

Seriously china gobbling up all our hideous action films has really hosed things up.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

The Bananana posted:

I am ready for some football.
I have tickets for the Bengals home opener but am considering selling now that Mixon is on board. Make/save some money.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

"FizFashizzle" posted:

Seriously china gobbling up all our hideous action films has really hosed things up.

They hated Power Rangers, at least.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

Why can't DC make movies

Legends became good to when they fully embraced that the team are the Time Idiots

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you havent started watching American Gods yet, you should.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chichevache posted:

If you havent started watching American Gods yet, you should.

Is it better than the novel

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't get Starz. Is there some way to legally watch it without subscribing to Starz

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

"Why didn't you wave hello to me today when I waved hello to you today?"

I've seen it like 30 times and it's one of my favorites. May have to now that you say that

"Hey, you guys are fookin weird! Wanna do some coke?"

"I knew someone like you would never fancy someone like me!"

"What d'you mean 'someone like me?'"

"Someone nice!"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I don't get Starz. Is there some way to legally watch it without subscribing to Starz

Amazon Prime has it I think?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Amazon Prime has it I think?

oh well cool perfect thanks mate

e. oh you have to buy a subscription to Amazon Starz channel ugh

why can't i have expensive entertainment for free

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

Is it better than the novel

Man.... I don't even know how to compare the two. I read that book when I was 12 and once every year or so since. It's pretty much a bible for me.

But this show is goooooood. It might be the most beautifully shot program on television right now. And the casting. :tviv:

I would say it is worth checking out just to see how they film Bilquis eating people with her pussy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chichevache posted:

Man.... I don't even know how to compare the two. I read that book when I was 12 and once every year or so since. It's pretty much a bible for me.

But this show is goooooood. It might be the most beautifully shot program on television right now. And the casting. :tviv:

I would say it is worth checking out just to see how they film Bilquis eating people with her pussy.

I got 3/4 through the book before stopping for whatever reason eons ago

I forgot about the spoiler. That was p cool

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I found this old post from some guy who gave the perfect takedown on BvS and how it could have been fixed.

quote:

The main issue with Batman VS Superman is that the people involved had a fundamental lack of understanding of what "Universe building" means. When trying to build a cinematic universe like Marvel has done you can't just make self contained movies that ignore your extended IP, and fucks everything else up. Something they clearly failed to do with BvS. Every movie should be solid on it's own, but also expand the universe so that you are excited to see MORE. Imagine for a moment if instead of throwing in Doomsday, and basically right out of the gate killing a stand alone "Superman Doomsday" movie, for no damned good reason, and then ALSO killing a third of their primary hero characters out of the gate, aka doing the exact loving opposite of expanding their universe, they instead decided to introduce some new less heard of Villains?

One of the BIGGEST problems with BvS centers around the character Wallace Keefe. Now you are probably asking "who the gently caress is Wallace Keefe". Wallace Keefe was the guy in the Wheel chair, and what he represented was OPPORTUNITY. This guy had a near perfect origin story setup to be a nasty bad guy with justified motivations, and instead they KILLED him for no reason. They KILLED opportunity. Now lets imagine if they DIDN'T kill opportunity. Lets say that Bruce Wayne visited Mr. Keefe and gave him that fancy wheelchair instead of Luthor, showing Bruces humanitarian side, and that he was doing much more than just "being Batman" to try and repair the damage that was done. Now lets say Lex, the corrupting influence comes in and offers Keefe the chance to walk again... BAM now you have properly established Luthors character as a deal with the Devil, better fleshed out Bruce Wayne, AND introduced one of Supermans greatest foes motherfucking Metallo. Lets say that instead of that lovely congress scene which made zero loving sense, as there is NO loving WAY normal congressional security would let a bomb onto the congress floor like that, much less superman missing it, now we have a badass fight with Metallo, a fight Superman loses in the streets of metropolis to a guy in horrible pain struggling with the loss of his basic humanity, only to be stopped from delivering the final killing blow... by a kid throwing a rock.... and the look of a terrified crowd..... and his reflection in broken glass...... and seeing that HE had become the real monster, and simply walks away, walking away to find his vengeance on the Devil that cursed him with this "gift".

And NOW you have a reason for Batman to know about Kryptonites effects on Superman that isn't full blown retarded. Keefe returns to Luthors tower in a rage forcing Luthor to order his assistant to protect him, a 5'4" woman, making Luthor look like a coward, right up to the point that she absolutely kicks Keefes rear end, and BLAM now we just expanded the Universe further by introducing Mercy...you know, instead of BLOWING HER UP after she did absolutely nothing but stand in a couple of scenes, for no damned good reason. The fight is stopped when Lex, while calmly sitting at his desk watching, utters the word "Metallo", causing Keefe to freeze in place, and showing that the fight between him and Mercy was never really necessary at all, and was just being done to show off Lex's sadistic side towards his trusted assistant, further fleshing out not just his character, but also Mercy's, EXPANDING THE UNIVERSE. Now the real reason for stopping the fight is revealed not to be Luthor wanting to finally stop the violence, but because he had noticed something, blood. To be precise Supermans Blood on Keefe, and NOW you have a reason for the creation of a monster that once again, is NOT absolutely idiotic, and actually makes sense. Now moving onto Batman, why not stick to the source material and make him a respected actual Hero, instead of a murdering psychopath? Let's say instead of trying to MURDER a hero because he might be a threat, instead have it made abundantly clear that it is a CAPTURE mission, with a scene of Bruce using his acquired kryptonite to build a containment cell for Superman, rather than making a crude melee weapon to fist fight the guy that shrugs off Nukes...

NOW the Batman Superman Fight makes sense, instead of Batman looking like a full blown retard for not putting Kryptonite bullets into those first Gatlings guns that he knew Superman was just going to walk right into. So the fight proceeds, and Superman is soundly beaten again, showing that he is indeed NOT some sort of all powerful god like being, but before Batman can lock the severely weakened Superman into the containment cell the "Forbidden Abomination" shows up. loving BIZARRO, and he is gunning to become the "real" Superman, by killing off the original. Now Batman is not only having to round two with another Kryptonian, but has to actively protect Superman at the same time, showing what it means to be a "Hero", and not just a loving murderer. And after watching these events unfold in the sidelines THIS is when Diana decides to show up, NOT because "Oh big fight between boys", NOT "because the heroes might be killed otherwise" No. She intervenes because she sees an act of TRUE HEROISM. Restoring her faith that the "World of Man" still does indeed have redeeming qualities worth fighting for, and giving her an actual reason to stay rather than just go back home after her identity is protected.

So the tides turn on Bizarro with the Diana, and Batman team up going together like Peanut Butter, and Jelly, developing a real actual chemistry between the characters, and just before Diana is going to land the killing blow, loving BOOM A still weak Superman Jumps in and takes the hit, and you see nonunderstanding Bizarro whimpering in fear at the "two bullies" who were beating him up. It is at THIS point that Batman finally sees that Superman is indeed not a threat, that he too is willing to risk his own life to protect even his enemy, NOT because their loving moms have the same loving name, my god. So now the obviously mentally deficient Bizarro, now enamored with Superman as his hero, is shipped off to Arkham inside the Kryptonite containment unit, and at his arrival the Joker is shown to look on with great interest. Meanwhile the Big 3 discuss the formation of the Justice League, while Lex still sitting at his desk behind an impenetrable wall of PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY reading of his failure to kill Superman in the Daily Planet calmly orders Mercy to enact plan B, before the credits roll. WORLD loving BUILDING. NOT WORLD loving DESTROYING. NOW you have about a billion possibilities for awesome spinoffs and sequels, multiple introduced and INTERESTING characters who are all still alive to have their stories told, and BOOM after credits scene. Nothing but a glowing green eye in the pitch black, and the repeated phrase, "I am Metallo...I am Metallo......I am Metallo
".

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yeah that would be a great movie.

my biggest complain with superman was how big they went early. I mean they don't have to do superman returns which was about, uh, a real estate scam in the atlantic? but where the gently caress could they even go after the zod fight?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I found this old post from some guy who gave the perfect takedown on BvS and how it could have been fixed.

".

His pitch was ok, but he basically rewrote it to what he wanted in the DC universe. DC has no shortage of villains and heros, so its not like Doomsday was wasted, especially since they are gearing towards Darkseid. You can take the same movie and make only a few changes and still have it be pretty good. Like I said before, the Directors Cut makes the movie make so much more sense. For instance, one problem I had with the theatrical release was the Clark Kent acting like this was the first time he learned about Batman while everyone else is just like "Its Batman, not a story". They kind of hinted at it in the theatrical release, but the reason why Batman was a story is that Luther was paying people off in prison to kill anyone who Batman brought in. As a result, people thought that anyone apprehended by Batman was getting a death sentence, ostensibly ordered by him. Now, you understand why Clark Kent has a problem with Batman, he isn't a do gooder, he is the DC version of the Punisher where any offense is met with the death penalty. Basically, the Director's Cut set it up so that you understood exactly why Batman and Superman hated/feared the other. It didn't do anything about the whole Martha thing though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yeah maybe don't make a six hour movie with like four climaxes

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah maybe don't make a six hour movie with like four climaxes

How else can I document my date with your mom?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

something something puppet show something you getting fisted i dunno get back to me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

swickles posted:

With a lot of jump cuts and filler.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Batman Vs Superman was just awful from a filmmaking perspective. I don't know much about editing, but I know when it's done poorly.

I like how the movie just jumped from different characters and locations without any establishing shots to let you know.

[two people talking at a party]

[two different people talking about something totally different at a bank or something]

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Directors Cut was not better. It was longer.

God that movie was so awful. It was so disjointed and took itself so seriously ALL the time.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Directors Cut was not better. It was longer.

God that movie was so awful. It was so disjointed and took itself so seriously ALL the time.

I didn't see the director's cut but the latter is pretty much Zack Snyder to a tee when he's not adapting something like Dawn of the Dead or Watchman.

He tries hitting on themes that are Important And Serious, but the way he handles them is so inept because like Fiz said earlier, he doesn't really know what the gently caress he's doing or how to handle them. So he hammers them hamfistedly, tries to make everything so self-important and dour (right down to that godawful muted colour palate) and it's just tedious to sit through. And honestly the "Martha" scene might be the most unintentionally hilarious thing Snyder's done, which when you consider, well, all, of 300, that's quite the accomplishment.

The shame of it is that I do agree with Fiz that Affleck's Batman was really good.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 14, 2017

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
BvS made Batman a murderer. That can't be overstated. It's like turning Jesus into a banker or Spuds MacKenzie into some sober loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He makes a hell of a trailer though I'll give him that.

• Locked thread