Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Inferno-sama posted:

Elise. Medicine.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm all about honor, except when I'm not. Then I'll dishonorably let a girl die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Inferno-sama posted:

Elise. Medicine.

It'd be nice to have characters point this hypocrisy out. Give Ryoma and Hoshido some character by having them not be pure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, its kind of hard to read that scene in a vacuum and not think ryoma is being a hardheaded douche. He flat out refuses to show gratitude to the people that just saved his life.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 12, 2017

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, its kind of hard to read that scene in a vacuum and not think ryoma is being a hardheaded douche. He flat out refuses to show gratitude to the people that just saved his life.

While you're not wrong, I guess I feel like if your only defining characteristic is "Honorable", you'd think he could eat his pride and thank Corrin and company properly.

Unless that's not his character trait, in which chase I actually don't know what it's supposed to be then.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Things that would make Conquest marginally less dumb, number 394:

"I'm surprised Nohrian nobles went out of their way to save us, what with your decades of unceasing aggression, and my willingness to let Elise suffer and die."

"Yeah tbh most of that's coming from King Garon and a couple of huge assholes working directly underneath him. You were a dick, but none of my adopted siblings or I want to see Hoshido wiped off the map."

"Are you seriously claiming everything horrible that's happened over the past 15 years can be laid at the feel of Garon and, like, six other dudes?"

"Five, now. But yes. ...Say, you wanna know where Hans is gonna be making camp next week?"

I know trying to rework a story and make it less dumb with the benefit of hindsight is one of THE stereotypical nerd time-wasters, but good God everything about this game's writing is just so sloppy and half-assed it feels like amateur rewrites actually stand a chance of improving it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Space Bat posted:

While you're not wrong, I guess I feel like if your only defining characteristic is "Honorable", you'd think he could eat his pride and thank Corrin and company properly.

Unless that's not his character trait, in which chase I actually don't know what it's supposed to be then.

A Shtick. It can't be his character trait because, as talked about, he was willing to let Elise die. I mean, there's no Geneva convention equivalent but that's pretty bad for a dude who claims to be all about honor. There's not even any waffling or indecision about it! Which makes him a villain for that whole scene.

Pity the rest of the game hasn't followed through with that :downs:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

S Support

Hello, Arthur. What is it you so urgently needed to see me about?
Greetings, Effie! I apologize for imparting a false sense of urgency to this meeting.
Because, unfortunately, my goldsmith has failed me...
Does it have anything to do with this box?
Where did you get that?
It just showed up at my place with both of our names on it. There's some kind of ring inside, see
You opened it? Oh, no...
I'm sorry, I thought I should see what was inside—since my name was on the box.
Oh, that's quite all right. Er...yes. In fact this will be quite splendid. Indeed! Oh ho! Fantastic! Er...
Come on, Arthur, pull yourself together...
Arthur! Are you OK? What is all that muttering? Have you become possessed? Oh dear. Quickly—blink twice if you're possessed!
*blink* *blink* *blink* *blink* *blink*
I...I don't know what to make of that.
AHEM. Apologies, milady. I believe I have gathered myself adequately.
So. The reason I called you out here today was to see if you would accept this ring.
Oh. Well, obviously, I already did.
Well, yes, I suppose that's technically accurate. The best kind of accurate!
But, er, I was hoping that you would accept it as a symbol of our marriage.
Our marriage?! What did you do, Arthur? Did you get us legally married without consulting me?
Haha!
No, of course not.
Oh, thank goodness. Because I don't think I can marry you, Arthur.
Not because I don't find you handsome...or enjoy spending time with you.
It's just... I'm basically already married to Lady Elise. She's everything to me. I don't know if there's room in my life for you!
Oh, Effie. Marrying me would in no way impact your duties to Elise.
In fact, I believe it would make us even more valuable to her. As you said once before, we each have our own way of doing things. But our skills appear to be complementary! It's only natural to team up.
Well, I suppose it does make a lot of sense... We've been working so well together on the battlefield. And you're already such an important part of my life. You're dependable and heroic...and I know that you'll always be there for me.
So...I do! I will marry you, Arthur!
Fantastic!
No, wait, fantastic doesn't begin to cover it... Super...uh...splendid...uh...magnificent... Just, uh, give me a moment here, sweetheart...
You're trying too hard, Arthur. C'mon, let's just go tell Elise the good news.
Haha! Of course. After you, my love.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

:3:

Arthur and Effie are such an adorably dorky pairing. And it makes their kid into a monster tank.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

You're trying too hard, Arthur. C'mon, let's just go tell Elise the good news.
Haha! Of course. After you, my love.
And you know that Elise immediately bolted for her siblings to start planning the wedding. Plus, since the Hoshidan family is here, we could possibly borrow Azama to be the priest for extra shenanigans.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think I've said this in this thread before, but I'd much rather be playing a game where Leo is the main character. You can even keep Corrin(e) in the plot, making Leo fight for his abducted sibling while navigating the treachery of his fellow countrymen.

And while Arthur/Effie isn't my favorite support for Arthur, it's a decent one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh right, bad parenthood is what happens in these things.

The title card is just random, honestly.

Yes, Arthur's son is apparently a luchador.

Good dragon. You're my only real friend. 'Specially since Pop never visits...
*Roars*
Uh? What, Ace? Trying to make me feel better?
*Roars*
Golly, thanks a bunch, Ace! You always know just what to roar! You're the best buddy ever.
With you as my sidekick, nothing's gonna get me down!

Which includes staying here in my Deeprealm. Let's get outta here, Ace!

Abandoning kids is very heroic.

The title card is seriously random.

*Time passes*

Oh, my son! My offspring! Oh, sidekick, not yet old enough to kick at my side! Why would you leave our most secret of lairs in your Deeprealm?
Ew, oogie. Dragon dung, whizzing past my heroic brow? A close call. But where'd it come from?
Percy! Where have you been? I've been worried sick. Leaving the secret lair? Clearly, you must have gotten lost. No need to worry. I'll have you back home in a flash. Must say it's nice to see you, Son. It's been a while.

Time travel shenanigans do that. Also, did you seriously just leave him in a cave for years

Hmm? What's eating you, Percy? Come on, out with it.
I hate you, Pops.
Huh?!
All your talk about justice... How just is it to never visit me? You're...you're...

He's not wrong.

W-w-waaaaah! *runs away*
Never fear, Percy. Pops is here! (Yeesh! What's gotten into him? Archnemesis?!)
Ahoy there, friend!

Ha Ha! You've fallen into the covered pit of misconception, stranger. Here, I'll help you out before you're gored upon the spikes of wrongheadedness! That was no kid. That was my son. My spawn! Fruit of my loins!
What?! The way he ran off crying? No way. Who are you really villain?!
Evil has met its match! I am Arthur!

For reference, this is Gazak

He's a boss in a different kid paralogue, which raises question of if multiple kids are in the same deeprealm. Or there's parallel versions of people and the merc is talking about their world's Gazak. All these questions that will never be answered!

No. Your ears must be clogged, friend. Listen up.
As I just said... Evil has met its match! I am Arthur!
What?! You can't fool me, Gazak! I'd recognize that chin anywhere! It's got bandit written all over it!
Oh, um, well... I assure you that my chin is not the graffiti wall of evil. Here, fellow, my son comes back. He'll clear this matter up.

Frankly, I'm shocked that isolating a kid in a cave for years backfired and caused distrust.

I think that mercenary has you pegged. You ARE Gazak!
Percy!
Charge, friends! I've found Gazak! Time for this bandit to come to justice!
What? You must be joking.
Wow, that really spiraled out of control.
We'd better get in there and back Arthur up, I guess.

Silas, where the hell did you come from

The promoted enemies in Conquest are rude as hell even in the paralogues. Half the enemies either have crippling seal defense or carry effective weaponry, ranging from Wyrmslayer, Armorslayer, and Beastkiller. ALWAYS pay attention to the enemy stat screens.

Character Overview

Class sets: Starts as Troubadour, Dark Mage, Mercenary
PSkill: Icy Blood-When the user is attacked by a nonadjacent enemy, the enemy receives half the damage dealt and their Skill and Speed is reduced by 3

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 50
MAG: 30
SKL: 60
SPD: 45
LCK: 45
DEF: 35
RES: 40

By the way, Flora joined randomly. You get her after chapter 18 by leveling a fire orb to level 3 in MyCastle.

Outside of the high resistance, Flora is pretty bad compared to Jakob and Felicia. She has almost the same stats as Felicia who's untouched since joining a few chapters ago, with a worse PSkill and isn't just two levels away from Tomebreaker like her sister.

Bench up to 5 characters: http://www.strawpoll.me/12952566

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm more curious as to how we have what appears to be a Nohrian mercenary unit based in a mountain range on Hoshido's side of the fence, and nobody from Hoshido is raising alarms about that. Or did this mercenary unit sign some kind of non-aggression pact with Hoshido off-screen? Who knows, the writers probably don't either!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If Arthur weren't smiling he'd have a pretty strong banditface. Can't really argue with that.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Glazius posted:

If Arthur weren't smiling he'd have a pretty strong banditface. Can't really argue with that.

They are definitely right about the chin.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Flora - With all due respect, I'll have to disagree with Tae- Flora is a perfectly viable unit (even capable of being an attacker in her own right without a crutch like the Flame Shuriken or a Heart Seal), and much better suited to the Maid class than her sister. I'll agree on the less-useful personal, though. And no, there is actually very little similarity in their base stats.

I had a more in-depth discussion comparing Felicia and Flora, but my browser crashed so much I lost the draft. To summarize: Flora starts better in everything but Speed, Luck, leveling speed, and level cap, and their base growths are distributed so that the only stat that's likely to change (given equal levels) is Magic; in fact, Flora is highly likely to cap both Skill and Resistance, which will make her an excellent mage-killer, as opposed to Felicia who needs to gain access to a magic weapon to become anything more than a debuffer.

Anyway, as to the map: Percy is a dick. Can we kill him? (Yes, I know, we won't, because "recruit everyone." I just want the option, dammit!)

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, the kid's basically been neglected by his dad. He's got a right to be angry.

Also Flora's good staff rank and good skill apparently make her good with status staves. Status staves are too precious to use so I haven't tried that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Mysticblade posted:

Hey, the kid's basically been neglected by his dad. He's got a right to be angry.

Having a right does not make him less of a dick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To be fair to Arthur, he is probably one of the few fathers who has a valid reason to want his son as far away from his as possible.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mysticblade posted:

Also Flora's good staff rank and good skill apparently make her good with status staves. Status staves are too precious to use so I haven't tried that.

Let's be honest, there are no real examples of good parents in this game. I mean, I guess that you could point our Makoto, but she's more perfect plot device than character. For a game so obsessed with family, Fates has no real healthy ones.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Fates' handling of children is one of those badly executed aspects where they were clearly doing something that worked extremely well in Awakening and didn't consider the broader consequences of it in a plot that isn't centrally aligned around a conceit that allows for them to exist.

It doesn't help that the Deeprealms are even more nebulous than the Outrealms, for unclear reasons that maybe probably are explained in please finish buying the gameRevelations. At least, I'd hope they are, seeing as Birthright had nothing and Conquest sorta went 'spooky ghosts and also Gunter is still alive!' and not much else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Here is Felicia and here is Flora. Felicia has a way better PSkill, is faster and luckier. Flora's only advantage is the high skill and resistance, because strength is useless when I have the Flame Shuriken and no one else remotely can use it.

Also you're missing a key detail that Felicia is 2 levels away from Tomebreaker, while Flora is 10 hard levels away from it. Felicia levels like an unpromoted unit, which means she will most likely surpass Flora by a mile when she gets to level 25.

And we've already seen what happens when Felicia gets to level 30, or level 10 equivalent

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting's over. Flora, Peri, Niles, Shura, Beruka are out. It's not like there'll be much experience to gain on this map.

Y-you're mad at me, aren't you?

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 13, 2017

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015

Tae posted:

Felicia vs Flora

Huh, did Flora count as actual pre-promote and only level up to 20 ? If so, that's really unfair for Flora, I mean they have the same class and skill and everything but Felicia has much more room to grow

systemchronos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 14, 2017

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Status staves is the only reason to use Flora, yeah, because that +10 skill matters for hitting enemies lategame. Also, if you recruit Flora in later chapters, by waiting to build the Flame Orb, she'll come at a higher level with scaled up stats. Coming with B rank can be useful too to use the stronger staves.

I like to Heart Seal her to Strategist and use her as a mobile 8 Mov staffer if I have the spare gold, especially if Felicia is being used elsewhere as a pairup for Corrin or Leo. For combat though, don't bother she's bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shura, Beruka, Niles, Peri are out. This is relatively short mission with not a lot of actual fighting.

I'm splitting up my team that's basically Effie with Azura while team Corrine has Xander and Elise.

This map is pretty overwhelming if you don't use the Dragon Veins, which basically "eliminate" the enemies in the area.

That means you're...royalty. You're no ruffian! And that makes you ALL— Oh, I'm sorry! Please, spare my life! Here, do you want money? Take this—it's all yours. I bet more troops would do the same, if only they realized...

So...does that mean royal members that can use specifically dragon veins exist in this world? Is the deeprealm just a created planes of existence that everyone knows and respects royals?

ANYONE?!

Also, the gimmick of those veins are that for every enemy "banished" in this way give 500 gold. Five enemies, 2500 gold. Considering how easy it is to get Effie and Arthur S-ranked early on Conquest, it almost seems calculated in that this is a gold mission.

Xander was supposed to weaken the remaining Paladin, but nope.

Only three enemies, but that's three less I have to kill in one turn.

Arthur takes out two Paladins via Azura before passing on to the next dragon vein setup.

Three feed kills in a row, Arthur gets hit with a karma level for not being able to hold on his own yet.

Corrine gets attacked by three Wyvern Lords and they all promptly died because Odin is a really good support for her. She gets to lvl 3 for a +STR/SKL/SPD.

Another nice Five-er. I can finally afford those Killer weapons now.

While setting up the next vein, Corrine doubles more Heroes. She's basically Ryoma at this point, especially if I had access to Gunter/Felicia/Jakob for their PSkill.

Lvl 4 nets her +STR/SKL.

Goddamnit, again?

At least he got a good +HP/STR/SKL/DEF level out of it.

This is going to be a little trickier because every other Paladin and Heroes have an effective weapon.

The right side is a little annoying because the terrain is built in a way where you have to bait them to aggro, then run away to get more than one unit vein'ed.

Camilla flies around the terrain and let Effie take out the Hammer user, while Leo eliminates two units for 1k.

Thanks to Xander, the enemies bashed their heads against his shiny, metal horse for three units.

This is safe despite Percy being right there since he's only level 20 maxed out.

Laslow has become the Super Effective killer at this point. By level five, only infantry and wyvern units will not be hit hard by him. And at that point, any unit hit by him will die to the next unit anyway.

Percy is an awkward unit to fight against because of this situation where your Effie is an all-star. But it's nice to know that Percy cannot possible be stronger than what he is now after chapter 18.

Percy vs. Arthur

Let's take 'em out, Ace. All of 'em! Pop's next to go!
Listen up, Son! Your spree of mayhem is over!
Justice never loses! And I am on its side! Not you, Pop!
Percy, if you insist on this, you leave me no choice but to fight back!

What, you want to gain magic or something??

At least he gained strength.

Finally, an MVP that I agree with.

After the battle

I'm sorry, Percy. I never meant to abandon you. I just thought you were absolutely safe, so my job was done until you were older.
I screwed up on a heroic scale. Please, forgive me.

Or maybe I'll be yours. Whatever—just as long as we're a justice-slinging duo!
Uh...really, Pop? Does that mean that you'll come live in my Deeprealm with me?
No, the opposite! You're never going back there.
Pop, do you really mean it? I can stay here with you?
It's true! Right here! With me!
W-w-waaah... W-w-waaaaaaaaah!
What is it? Did I blunder again?

I didn't want you as my archnemesis, Pop. I really didn't. THIS is what I always wanted.
Ha ha! Father-son bond repaired on the nick of time!
*Roars in anger*
Hmm? Your dragon? What's got him so darn upset?
Whoa! Hold on, big boy. Those are your fangs you're bearing over there.
Ace, stop! Don't snap at Pops. He didn't do anything bad.

Ace! I'm not sad! Happy! You hear me? HA-PPY! We're staying here with Pops. We don't have to live in our Deeprealm!
*roars*
Phew! He's backing off. Good boy! Good boy!
Whoa there! I thought you'd be flossing me out of his teeth soon. Glad we cleared all this up. You and your dragon are most welcome with us!
Golly! Thanks a bunch! I can't wait to learn how to be a better hero from you!
Percy, I'm just glad to have you at my side.

Ha ha! YEAH!
Phew! Good thing that all worked out.
Hopefully that'll be the last father-son skirmish we ever see in our party...

Silas, where the hell did you come from. Seriously.

Character Overview

Class sets: Starts as Wyvern Rider, Fighter, Knight
PSkill: Fortunate Son-Allies within a 2 tile radius have their Critical Evade increased by 15, while the user’s Critical Evade is increased by 5

Growth Rates
HP: 42.5
STR: 60
MAG: 7.5
SKL: 50
SPD: 55
LCK: 67.5
DEF: 65
RES: 22.5

I'm probably going to take Wary Fighter off him because 19 speed is good enough for every enemy outside of ninjas. He's literally as physically defensive as his mother, with the great mobility of a Wyvern Lord. And his PSkill definitely helps Arthur in negating the downside of his PSkill.

The only real flaw with Percy is his shaky HP growth, but HP+5 helps him a lot and HP Tonics give him another +5 HP. Which I can buy a lot now with all that extra cash.

Tae fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 14, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The father/son PSkill synergy is :unsmith: in a game filled with :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I admit that Silas showing up for this paralogue is weird. It'd make sense if it was Keaton, Niles, Benny (Arthur's A+ supports) or even Elise, but that's not what we get. I would not be surprised if this is some remnant of an earlier draft where either Silas had a support with Arthur, or Silas had a level of plot immunity (i.e., if he gets "killed", Silas is demoted to a NPC plot exposition role instead of dying for real) much like the royal siblings do.

On the other hand, I have to laugh at Anthony Del Rio going for the exact same voice as he did for Pit in Kid Icarus Uprising/Smash Brothers in voicing Percy. It's a perfect fit for Percy's more upbeat personality, to the point it almost feels like a happy accident the voice director(s) stumbled into.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I admit that Silas showing up for this paralogue is weird. It'd make sense if it was Keaton, Niles, Benny (Arthur's A+ supports) or even Elise, but that's not what we get. I would not be surprised if this is some remnant of an earlier draft where either Silas had a support with Arthur, or Silas had a level of plot immunity (i.e., if he gets "killed", Silas is demoted to a NPC plot exposition role instead of dying for real) much like the royal siblings do.

On the other hand, I have to laugh at Anthony Del Rio going for the exact same voice as he did for Pit in Kid Icarus Uprising/Smash Brothers in voicing Percy. It's a perfect fit for Percy's more upbeat personality, to the point it almost feels like a happy accident the voice director(s) stumbled into.

Silas is plot immune, like all the fathers in the game.

Honestly, it's faster to list out first generations who aren't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huh, I didn't realize this was a gold mission. I just killed everyone cuz I could've used the levels. :v:

McGwee
May 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Huh, I didn't realize this was a gold mission. I just killed everyone cuz I could've used the levels. :v:

Yeah me too. I've never used the Veins before. I was always "chase my EXP away? I think not."

Percy's here! And with Effie as his mom... ho poo poo.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

RareAcumen posted:

Same here. I had no idea that you would gain gold from sending the enemies away.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I think I did, I seem to remember that I did try to Dragon Vein, but honestly the money total seemed kinda low and the experience more valuable. Although, honestly, in retrospect, I usually end up maxing my characters out by the end of Conquest anyway, so the money is better.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Honestly, I'm surprised Tae didn't do this map earlier. Like other goons, I used to do this map as pure experience, but holy poo poo once you use it for gold, it's the loving difference.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Because I would save a master seal cost on percy. That's valuable 2k.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Tae posted:

Because I would save a master seal cost on percy. That's valuable 2k.

2k that can be spent on someone else's master seal

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gold comes out of Deeprealms and goes right back in again. It's a closed economy.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Percy has been stomped. I am satisfied.

Percy - Even before factoring in Effie, Percy is pretty likely to have a LOT of Defense, and his Luck is the polar opposite of his father's (yes, that means that, before being averaged with his mother's growth, Percy has the highest Luck growth in the game bar none). Factor in his personal skill and, well... basically, they're gonna have to bring in mages or Lethality to do more than a few points of damage at a time. Unfortunately, his HP are rather lackluster, and he needs a strong mother to do well offensively. Good thing for him that Effie's whole gimmick is "ridiculously strong" I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You are so dear to me that I would slay you myself rather than let you leave my service.

Becoming your new employer was the only way I could see to save you from yourself.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
My game became the Percy/Arthur power hour after recruiting him, i like both their characters a lot. 2 best characters in the game easy, to me anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Filler for next page.

• Locked thread