Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Edit: Whoops, entirely wrong thread! Sorry y'all.

Squidster has a new favorite as of 15:48 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

starkebn posted:

how many amps in at a standard outlet there? 10A?

15 or 20. If it's 14AWG wire, the receptacles have to be 15A. If it's 12AWG, they can be 20A. Circuits in a kitchen will generally be 20A, though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Phanatic posted:

15 or 20. If it's 14AWG wire, the receptacles have to be 15A. If it's 12AWG, they can be 20A. Circuits in a kitchen will generally be 20A, though.

australia: all domestic GPOs are normally 230V 10amps so you should be able to run a kettle on 120V 20amps I imagine, that's if anyone would make a 20A appliance. That is reserved for workshop equipment here.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Almost every house I've ever been in Canada has electric kettles and I'm pretty sure we have the same standards (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm in the US and have an electric kettle in the kitchen. A lot of people have them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

nexus6 posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 spoilers

So Ego is a millions-of-years-old sentient planet but he can't keep his attention on more than one person that he's fighting? Also, somehow he doesn't know/isn't aware that Baby Groot has a bomb that will kill him?

It really bugs me whenever a movie's heroes fight a super omniscient/omnipresent enemy who can be distracted by a punch to the face.

Also, he didn't actually seduce dozens of alien species all while in a 80's Kurt Russell form, did he?

Movie's still lots of fun.

I figured that was a reference to the flea conversation earlier on. Would you notice every mite running around on your body?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm in the US and have an electric kettle in the kitchen. A lot of people have them.

But then goons couldn't go "Americans :rolleyes:" I personally don't know anyone who still had an old kettle for a stove.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

nexus6 posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 spoilers

Also, he didn't actually seduce dozens of alien species all while in a 80's Kurt Russell form, did he?

Uh yes????? Why wouldn't he

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tiggum posted:

And in Thor, Loki is a pretty sympathetic character with actual motivations and stuff, but then in Avengers he's just turned crazy evil for no reason.

He went off the deep end after his brother beat him up and his dad told him No.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Loki also had Thanos ready to kill him if he backed out or hosed up.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My IIM about GotG 2:

Ego killing Quill's mom. Why didn't he just wait the 70~ years for her to die naturally? He's millions of years old, another 70 is barely even a drop in the bucket. It's not like his plan had a timelimit. He could have lived a full (human) life on Earth with Quill's mom (and in the meantime make more lightbenders in case Peter isn't down with it), wait for her to die naturally and then reveal to Peter "oh btw we're gods" and go activate his plan

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Away all Goats posted:

My IIM about GotG 2:

Ego killing Quill's mom. Why didn't he just wait the 70~ years for her to die naturally? He's millions of years old, another 70 is barely even a drop in the bucket. It's not like his plan had a timelimit. He could have lived a full (human) life on Earth with Quill's mom (and in the meantime make more lightbenders in case Peter isn't down with it), wait for her to die naturally and then reveal to Peter "oh btw we're gods" and go activate his plan
Why do people use microwave ovens to save ten minutes? :shrug:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strudel Man posted:

Why do people use microwave ovens to save ten minutes? :shrug:

Because they don't live millions of years?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Away all Goats posted:

My IIM about GotG 2:

If he wasn't lying, he really did love her and was constantly tempted to go back. As he said, if he went back one more time, he'd never leave and his plan would die.
He was impatient and reckless. He took away any obstacle to his plan.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Speaking of 'dogs are barking' gogol bordello was on last week(?)s Fargo and I am tired of them altogether. There's plenty of Russian music that would have worked better for that scene than NYC hipster idiots singing in fake accents

You are wrong and now I have to go watch Fargo.

My IIMM about soundtracks is that none of the recent X-Men films feature David Bowie. The fact that they had a movie set in the 70s and didn't use Oh, You Pretty Things will always annoy me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sobatchja Morda posted:

You are wrong and now I have to go watch Fargo.

My IIMM about soundtracks is that none of the recent X-Men films feature David Bowie. The fact that they had a movie set in the 70s and didn't use Oh, You Pretty Things will always annoy me.

Yeah I was wrong about the accent part. Great show though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

If he wasn't lying, he really did love her and was constantly tempted to go back. As he said, if he went back one more time, he'd never leave and his plan would die.
He was impatient and reckless. He took away any obstacle to his plan.

I love that is master plan is to somehow, make Missouri (and other places) even worse than it already is. That's some stone cold evil poo poo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A commercial on Hulu annoys the poo poo out of me. It's for Phoenix university I think and it uses the song "if I only had a brain" but changes lyrics up and the new lyrics annoy me. But also there's a clip of this girl studying in a library and the lights are off and this old security guard is obviously trying to get her to leave and not looking up from her book she holds up a finger to tell him to hold on. I'm sure this old man just wants to go home and see his family but instead this bitch refuses to leave when they close and also treTs him like he's a child.

IM MAD

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MrJacobs posted:

I love that is master plan is to somehow, make Missouri (and other places) even worse than it already is. That's some stone cold evil poo poo

I dunno, I'd argue he gentrified the poo poo out of it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

A commercial on Hulu annoys the poo poo out of me. It's for Phoenix university I think and it uses the song "if I only had a brain" but changes lyrics up and the new lyrics annoy me. But also there's a clip of this girl studying in a library and the lights are off and this old security guard is obviously trying to get her to leave and not looking up from her book she holds up a finger to tell him to hold on. I'm sure this old man just wants to go home and see his family but instead this bitch refuses to leave when they close and also treTs him like he's a child.

IM MAD

It really enforces that whole new overwork ethic being foisted on young people too. Although it's pretty funny coming from a "university" that is at best a diploma mill for olds who need a leg up on the next rung of the corporate ladder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Already have a preemptive irrational irritating moment for the new Pirates movie just from commercials where they show an action scene with Jack Sparrow with his head in a guillotine. Which wasn't invented until 1789.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Away all Goats posted:

Because they don't live millions of years?
They do live millions of minutes, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the third episode of Band of Brothers, "Carentan," it says that the main guy Pvt Blythe died from his wounds. Except he died like 25 years later in real life. Nobody, including the author of the book, director, screenwriter, or the producers like Tom Hanks bothered to check if the guy actually died.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

IIMM RE: Iron Man 2 - Tony Stark was such an rear end in a top hat and Mickey Rourke's grievance was legitimate enough that I wanted the villain to win.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

Already have a preemptive irrational irritating moment for the new Pirates movie just from commercials where they show an action scene with Jack Sparrow with his head in a guillotine. Which wasn't invented until 1789.

When was the kraken invented?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Handmaid's Tale poo poo again.

How many generations of Handmaids are they really expecting? I mean, if all the babies that aren't shredders are Daughters and Sons/Angels, after what, 10, 15 years all the Handmaids will be in menopause. So you make them Marthas or send them away? But where are new Handmaids going to be coming from?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shangri-Law School posted:

IIMM RE: Iron Man 2 - Tony Stark was such an rear end in a top hat and Mickey Rourke's grievance was legitimate enough that I wanted the villain to win.

That's not an all uncommon theme with Tony. Especially in his alcoholism days, his attitude was "gently caress you, got mine".
I do wish is was more explicit that Tony was in the wrong and he had to team up with Whiplash to defeat the Hammer drones.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Away all Goats posted:

My IIM about GotG 2:

As he stated other times, he has to return to his planet every so often or he will die and the light will go out. We don't know how long that is, but I think it's safe to say less than an Earth year, probably like a week or two.

If we believe him the other time, if he had gone back again he would have chosen to live with Meredith and Peter until his death, not hers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus, he did age.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus, he did age.

That was pretty clearly by his choice. By looking older and wiser he was a more appealing father figure to peter. He could make himself look like 1980s hasseloff so there's no reason why he was physically older.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Inzombiac posted:

That's not an all uncommon theme with Tony. Especially in his alcoholism days, his attitude was "gently caress you, got mine".
I do wish is was more explicit that Tony was in the wrong and he had to team up with Whiplash to defeat the Hammer drones.

Even without the alcoholism, he can still be a pretty huge dick. It came out in Captain America 3 when he his guilt starts manifesting itself as self-righteousness.

I always wished there'd be one decent story where the hero and villain reconcile like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

They didn't pioneer mechanised decapitation. The Halifax Gibbet goes back a heck of a lot further than 1789.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mojo1701a posted:

Even without the alcoholism, he can still be a pretty huge dick. It came out in Captain America 3 when he his guilt starts manifesting itself as self-righteousness.

I always wished there'd be one decent story where the hero and villain reconcile like that.

I'm really excited for the next movie (Infinity War 1 probably) where Tony and Cap are in the same room again. I hope they have a real - if short - reconciliation where both sides admit they were partially wrong.
There is such a golden opportunity for 2 minutes of character work and I pray Disney doesn't squander it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Inzombiac posted:

I'm really excited for the next movie (Infinity War 1 probably) where Tony and Cap are in the same room again. I hope they have a real - if short - reconciliation where both sides admit they were partially wrong.
There is such a golden opportunity for 2 minutes of character work and I pray Disney doesn't squander it.

Well, the ending hinted toward that something like that ought to happen and I'm pretty sure the Russo brothers are smart enough to do that (they ARE the ones making Infinity War, right?).

Related to this: my IIMM (well, not moment) is that Warner Bros can't figure out what the gently caress they want to do with Superman so they throw a bunch of the same bullshit that every other superhero movie does and hope for the best. "People don't want to see a do-gooder, they want someone who's edgy and conflicted!" and yet somehow Captain America is what a Superman movie ought to be. Civil War was the same movie as Batman vs Superman, but better, just like Mission Impossible Rogue Nation was the same as Spectre, but better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Man of Steel did a good job showing that superheroes are scary as gently caress and that thousands will die when they fight each other. Too much grimdark is annoying but the Marvel stuff could use just a little more edge.

I was really looking forward to the airport fight in CIvil War but it was so empty and felt like pretty much zero things at stake.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Handmaid's Tale poo poo again.

How many generations of Handmaids are they really expecting? I mean, if all the babies that aren't shredders are Daughters and Sons/Angels, after what, 10, 15 years all the Handmaids will be in menopause. So you make them Marthas or send them away? But where are new Handmaids going to be coming from?

Handmaids aren't the only child-bearing women in Gilead, if I remember correctly. The Marthas and the Aunts are the only classes of women who are specifically mentioned as being infertile. Handmaids are just fertile women who have broken gender and/or social laws.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Man of Steel did a good job showing that superheroes are scary as gently caress and that thousands will die when they fight each other. Too much grimdark is annoying but the Marvel stuff could use just a little more edge.

I was really looking forward to the airport fight in CIvil War but it was so empty and felt like pretty much zero things at stake.

Reaction shot of kids int he plane, "COOL!" then the plane blows up. :black101:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah they got that part right, but that's about it. Batman vs Superman then just threw in multiple lines about how "people have left the downtown on a Friday" and "the port is abandoned."

As for Civil War, the airport scene was entertaining purely because it felt like the writers just got together and tried to come up with every single superhero fight combo they could think of. I'll agree with the stakes, but it's hard to come up with high stakes considering it was just "Get Bucky away from the rest."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

But it had all the emotional impact of a videogame cutscene.

My biggest beef with the movie was Snyder changing how Pa Kent died for no reason. In the comics and original movie, Pa Kent dies of a heart attack, which teaches Superman that even he can't solve EVERYTHING. Snyder's version not only totally goes against his character, but doesn't accomplish anything noble. It was just hugely emblematic of how Snyder doesn't even understand what the character is even about. It doesn't even make sense for Pa Kent to be worried that Clark will be hurt if anyone finds out he's an alien. Who could possibly hurt him? He's the one kid in the universe you DON'T have to worry about!

Imagined has a new favorite as of 00:46 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mojo1701a posted:

As for Civil War, the airport scene was entertaining purely because it felt like the writers just got together and tried to come up with every single superhero fight combo they could think of. I'll agree with the stakes, but it's hard to come up with high stakes considering it was just "Get Bucky away from the rest."

I liked the airport fight, but at times it felt like all other characters stopped fighting so the two characters currently on screen could do their thing. It's the problem every big movie battle has, there have to be a bunch of people uselessly swinging their swords at each other in the background because because if they did it right the battle would shrink exponentially on account of everyone killing everyone else right away.

Imagined posted:

But it had all the emotional impact of a videogame cutscene.

My biggest beef with the movie was Snyder changing how Pa Kent died for no reason. In the comics and original movie, Pa Kent dies of a heart attack, which teaches Superman that even he can't solve EVERYTHING. Snyder's version not only totally goes against his character, but doesn't accomplish anything noble. It was just hugely emblematic of how Snyder doesn't even understand what the character is even about. It doesn't even make sense for Pa Kent to be worried that Clark will be hurt if anyone finds out he's an alien. Who could possibly hurt him? He's the one kid in the universe you DON'T have to worry about!

There is more than one way to hurt someone.

Also, Pa Kent teaches him pretty much the same, it's just that Superman can't solve everything because regular humans don't want him to, or that it ultimately wouldn't be to their benefit. Which is an inherent problem of the character, or else he would have ended world hunger three weeks after his inception.