Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Monaghan posted:

I always found the romance is Fairy tail oddly charming and I would to see him write a non action manga.

I'm saying I have low standards for romance stuff.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Mashima is probably one of the better romantics amongst shonen writers.

Granted, that's not a high bar to clear, but he's more middle-of-the-road overall romance-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Great romances like the following:

-Obsessed stalker and guy who ignores her
-Girl and guy who tried to use her as a sacrifice
-Girl and guy who literally crucified her
-The one we don't talk about

Though I'll give you Elfman/Evergreen, Bisca/Arzac, and I guess Aquarius/HER BOYFRIEND (her boyfriend), so that's at least three.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 13, 2017

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

chumbler posted:

... so that's at least two.

Kuroyama posted:

Mashima is probably one of the better romantics amongst shonen writers.

Yup. It adds up.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Don't forget Cat X Cat

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

chumbler posted:

Though I'll give you Elfman/Evergreen, Bisca/Arzac, and I guess Aquarius/HER BOYFRIEND (her boyfriend), so that's at least two.

He only historically accurately crucified her. Then he was cleansed in holy fire fists, holy friendship, and the consequences of the stocks sans night time buggery.

Then she wrote IRON in magic and their love is beautiful you mean man.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

Though I'll give you Elfman/Evergreen, Bisca/Arzac, and I guess Aquarius/HER BOYFRIEND (her boyfriend), so that's at least two.

What's the one we don't talk about? Zeref and Mavis?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

To be fair, the guy did have to clean up his act first.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

What's the one we don't talk about? censored x censored ?

Way to talk about what we don't talk about. <:mad:>

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

So the "cliff hanger" for the latest chapter has got to be the least suspenseful cliffhanger ever.

Zeref uses a flame attack against Natsu, will this be the time that Natsu is defeated by fire!?

To be fair, it's not really a flame attack, just a flame aspect to his attack. I think. So it'll probably work, just not enough to matter.

chumbler posted:

What's really sad is that these could describe romances in at least a few different shonen. Just for stalker and ignorer, Naruto has Naruto and Hinata, Sasuke and Sakura and probably a few others I'm forgetting, Bleach has Orihime and Ichigo, One Piece has Sanji and...almost every attractive female in the setting as well as Boa Hancock and Luffy - though at least Oda portrays his purely as comedic rather than trying to make them dramatic as well as comedic. Still, it's there regardless. And there's probably other examples I'm not familiar with since I'm not a huge shonen nerd and am only really passingly familiar with other ones.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like that even Precht is grossed out by the Zeref and Mavis thing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Zeref may be the first manga villain to be defeated by a fanfiction writer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's kind of lovely that Fairy Tail has several members whose whole thing is magic language writing, and the climactic magic writing is instead done by a celestial mage winging rewriting the very essence of somebody. Because she's been writing a novel for like 9 years and otherwise has no knowledge of either Demonic languages and their syntax or even magic runes outside seeing other people do it. Which, if that was a valid method of learning, means she should be spitting fire and ice while equipping magical cat wings.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be fair she's been depicted as one of the most scholarly mages of the lot.
Also something something bonds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i feel like this chapter redeemed the whole terrible series

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Jose posted:

i feel like this chapter redeemed the whole terrible series

Surprisingly not awful, I should say.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So Zeref was just suddenly one shot by Natsu because of Emotions, despite everything making it so that it was impossible for him to win.

And Acnologia in the same chapter was pushed into a blackhole. Thus removing all threats, and Ichiya was the only casualty

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

So Zeref was just suddenly one shot by Natsu because of Emotions, despite everything making it so that it was impossible for him to win.

And Acnologia in the same chapter was pushed into a blackhole. Thus removing all threats, and Ichiya was the only casualty

Please tell me you meant Jellal, and not Ichiya.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's interesting how the unpredictable writing style restores the sense of mystery to scenes. I really don't know if X or Y is dead/defeated.

Also FT is certainly worse than better manga at peak but his willingness to punch away lovely arcs and just move on has kept the average, barring a couple ridiculously poo poo chapters, at a pretty good measure. And given most manga poo poo the bed in the last tenth that has worked pretty well here. Naruto certainly crapped itself. Coolest guy indeed. (the Burrito anime is actually decent, though, for anyone who pines for early Naruto)

Bleach meanwhile poo poo the entire hotel. And then yelled at the editors and audience about it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I may have been spoiled or whatever but if they just Neji'd Ichiya i'm going to be Angry At Anime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chumbler posted:

Please tell me you meant Jellal, and not Ichiya.

Nope Ichiya. He and Anna (Who only just showed up now so I don't count her) were the only casualties of the battle. They sacrificed themselves to defeat Acnologia by ramming him with the airship into the time black hole that was only just introduced so there was a way to defeat Acnologia.

For Ichiya fans Nichiya is still alive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How quickly you all forget Christina. Her most noble sacrifice shall not be forgotten.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
But did Christina have a truly noble parfum? One that will never grace this world again?

Anna and Ichiya will be revealed to have gotten off Christina at the last second, making Christina and Makarov the only casualties for the heroes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought Zeref lost because he'd been drawing power from the Ravines of Time, and they were closed when Acnologia was shoved into them.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
*read 500+ chapters of a manga over several years* hey this manga is kind of bad

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Centzon Totochtin posted:

*read 500+ chapters of a manga over several years* hey this manga is kind of bad
that is sort of accurate. The Fairy Tail experience is more accurately:

*Reads 500+ chapters of a manga over several years*

"Wait. There was 500 chapters of this? Why don't I remember any of it, but I know it's kinda bad somehow? Why does the room smell like pennies?"

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 21, 2017

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't think Fairy Tail is as bad as most people but it has many many enormous flaws and the second I switched from watching the anime to reading the manga my ability to remember what happened absolutely tanked so that bit is definitely accurate, at least in relation to the manga.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I read the whole thing in one go. The most confusing thing was how the translators would keep changing the spelling of people's names. Gerard became Jellal, etc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gajeel Gajil Gazelle.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
"Flame of his wild emotions".

What a loving dumb line.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Giselle, with the haunting spin-off ballet about an angry magic punch man who eats steel, and his love for a fellow magus who, uh, was good at rune making I think?

...it's weird but it actually does feel like my brain pulled the plug on Fairy Tail related memories a while back and now they're just gurgling down the drain. Like, "oh yeah, the girl who wore feathers, wasn't she part of the big tournament? I had no idea she debuted in the same arc as Wendy, what the hell."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rangpur posted:

Giselle, with the haunting spin-off ballet about an angry magic punch man who eats steel, and his love for a fellow magus who, uh, was good at rune making I think?

...it's weird but it actually does feel like my brain pulled the plug on Fairy Tail related memories a while back and now they're just gurgling down the drain. Like, "oh yeah, the girl who wore feathers, wasn't she part of the big tournament? I had no idea she debuted in the same arc as Wendy, what the hell."

No thats her sister. But I understand not remembering.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't think Fairy Tail is as bad as most people but it has many many enormous flaws and the second I switched from watching the anime to reading the manga my ability to remember what happened absolutely tanked so that bit is definitely accurate, at least in relation to the manga.

I got into Fairy Tail after hearing about Acnologia's attack before the time skip on a manga reviewing podcast. One of the hosts would not stop laughing about how stupid it was, and I decided to read a few chapters to see if it was really that dumb. So I think my opinion on FT has been shaped by that. I'm more amused than angry whenever it goes in a ridiculous direction.

Plus, thinking "what would be the stupidest way for this to turn out" has given me a decent track record on my FT predictions.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Kuroyama posted:

I got into Fairy Tail after hearing about Acnologia's attack before the time skip on a manga reviewing podcast. One of the hosts would not stop laughing about how stupid it was, and I decided to read a few chapters to see if it was really that dumb. So I think my opinion on FT has been shaped by that. I'm more amused than angry whenever it goes in a ridiculous direction.

Plus, thinking "what would be the stupidest way for this to turn out" has given me a decent track record on my FT predictions.

Which podcast would that be?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fairy Tail has occasional moments of brilliance(mostly during the tournament arc) but it ranges from painfully mediocre to hilariously bad the rest of the time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Welp, at least this chapter is classic fairy tail, just Natsu doing what he always does, defeating the big bad with fire punching and friendship, nothing fancy involved. Kinda sad for Ichiya though, it was one of the more unique characters.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Natsu punching things with fire is why I started reading this waaaaaaaaaaay back when.

I'm pretty okay with Zeref being defeated by a fire punch fueled by friendship.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which podcast would that be?

Weekly Manga Recap. Here's them reviewing the comic by Gene Simmons's kid that plagiarized Bleach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJA0EZieDnI

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is that the one that plagarized from Jojo Part 3 too, or as that a different western manga.

Cause I vaguely remember there being some hubbub about something plagarizing the N'Doul fight, only with blood instead of water? I think?

It was way back, before I watched Jojo.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind it was Diesel. And it was from the late 90s. Holy poo poo.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/Diesel+by+joe+weltjens+aka+oc+donutsteel/funny-pictures/5840812/

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Overlord K posted:

Natsu punching things with fire is why I started reading this waaaaaaaaaaay back when.

I'm pretty okay with Zeref being defeated by a fire punch fueled by friendship.

:same:

I have zero expectations for this manga other than burning spirit and punching guys with fire so I really don't mind that the plot is bad and that I can't remember anything that happened more than a few chapters ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing that some magical maguffin will bring back Acnologia for a final showdown. His ending felt kind of abrupt.

• Locked thread