Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Bloodnose posted:

When I was a CF (then called LNA), we were explicitly not eligible for Mustang

Really? You mean you can work up to 5 years as a CF and they won't credit that service for Mustang eligibility? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yep. Brutal. But they were very clear at every possible checkpoint with big flashing lights THIS IS NOT A BACK DOOR INTO THE FOREIGN SERVICE

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
To be fair the Mustang program now confers very little benefit, after the change they made last year.

Trixiehaha
Jun 8, 2014

zzonkmiles posted:

Really? You mean you can work up to 5 years as a CF and they won't credit that service for Mustang eligibility? Wow.

Unlike a Civil Service job, CF isn't a permanent position federal position. For HR purposes, it's a weird variation on a contract position, term limited. You have a specific end date (60 months).

Trixiehaha fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 13, 2017

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea, CF seems like USAID's OFDA, but with much better benefits. It looks like your CF service is credible towards FERS, and you get matching TSP and other Fed benefits. The only difference with regular fed job seems to be that it is term limited and there is no career status. At the very least they should give 1 year of NCE like they do for Peace Corps volunteers. No reason to impede those who have served their country abroad from continuing a federal career.

grenada fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 13, 2017

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

problematique posted:

To be fair the Mustang program now confers very little benefit, after the change they made last year.

Also true

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So today's my first day of work since December 16. Anything changed, y'all?

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

the_chavi posted:

My EER is done. I think. Maybe?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

the_chavi posted:

Fever dreams becoming realities, but pretty much business as usual.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Bruxism posted:

Fever dreams becoming realities, but pretty much business as usual.

You mean malaria med dreams right?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

I just got my travel orders and flight tickets. As if this gig couldn't get any more "real."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Didn't pass the OA.

Cleared GE and SI (I felt like I kicked their rear end in fact). But gently caress I messed up with CM. All in capital letters, all in bullet point. Dismissed a key calculation as a red herring.

Feeling really poo poo here, but probs gonna take the FSOT again in October.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

What's this I'm hearing about only two A-100s a year now?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

What's this I'm hearing about only two A-100s a year now?

No idea on these specifics - but you have seen the proposed budget yes?

https://diplopundit.net/2017/05/25/all-in-tillerson-on-trumps-fy2018-statedeptusaid-budget/

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

"This budget is responsive to the realities of the world in the 21st century, and ensures that the State Department and USAID can quickly adapt to an ever-changing international environment."

-Rex Tillerson

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
-and no one else because they haven't even appointed a Deputy Secretary yet

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bloodnose posted:

-and no one else because they haven't even appointed a Deputy Secretary yet

Not true, Deputy Sullivan was confirmed last week.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
My mistake. Did they pad out the undersecretaries too?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bloodnose posted:

My mistake. Did they pad out the undersecretaries too?

Reportedly someone's been nominated (if not formally, then at least announced in the press) for M. Otherwise lol no.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

the_chavi posted:

Not true, Deputy Sullivan was confirmed last week.

I attended his swearing-in ceremony last week. Seems like he is a lot more willing to listen to the bureau he leads than his boss.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Quick question. I am heading for a consumables post. Am I able to ship consumables as HHE? My HHE is way under the limit, so I figured I might as well not waste the extra weight.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

zzonkmiles posted:

Quick question. I am heading for a consumables post. Am I able to ship consumables as HHE? My HHE is way under the limit, so I figured I might as well not waste the extra weight.

That's what I did. There is no big difference in the end, it's just extra weight you use to ship stuff anytime you want, with the added restriction the items must something that can be consumed.

I never ended up needing to use my consumable allowance. Ended up "donating" it halfway through the tour so we could save some money importing American wine for the Embassy July 4th event.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

problematique posted:

Ended up "donating" it halfway through the tour so we could save some money importing American wine for the Embassy July 4th event.

You sound like a good person to be at post with :)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

You sound like a good person to be at post with :)

I "donated" mine too.

If you have a good group of people at small, hard posts, they can be a lot of fun.

TCD fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 15, 2017

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

zzonkmiles posted:

In almost every case, there's no material difference, like others have said. However, there is at least one post where consumables are authorized as air freight half the year due to extreme weather conditions.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

zzonkmiles posted:

yes, and then you can follow up with an actual consumables shipment later on. I recommend using some of your HHE weight to ship a full dual burner all grain beer brewing kit and 8 months worth of grains, then using the consumables shipment for fresh grains midway through.

ScottyJ1
Jun 12, 2013
Hey folks,

So I ended up getting (and accepting) an offer to the August 7 Consular Fellows class as a non-language-designated Consular Fellow. I have sent in my resume and pay stubs but I am still waiting for a salary offer and appointment letter.

Yet I now see that generalist A100s, thought to be canceled, are being resumed, and I am getting worried. It seemed to me that a major part of the incentive for the expansion of the CF program to people like me was to take the place of ELOs that wouldn't be coming on with a halt in hiring. So if there is no halt...

I have already given notice at my work and taken steps to sell my house - am I being paranoid to think my position in the Consular Fellows class is now in serious danger?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nah, the really important function of the consular fellows is to do ELO visa bitch work without the promise of a future career. The problem with the Foreign Service is that my consular section in Guangzhou had like 30 vice consuls doing visa interviews and then only 8 consuls managing them and then only 3 section heads, but those 30 vice consuls will each be needing one of those 8 consul jobs in 2 to 4 years.

Consular fellows are important because they are vice consuls who never need to grow into consuls, so the pyramid won't collapse as visa demand keeps growing, requiring more and more vice consuls while higher level management jobs don't keep pace.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

So, what's this I hear about July and September A-100s?

Are these regular A-100s for generalists? Are they special A-100s for Consular Fellows? Are they A-100s for the Pickering and Rangel fellows only? That's great news either way.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zzonkmiles posted:

So, what's this I hear about July and September A-100s?

Are these regular A-100s for generalists? Are they special A-100s for Consular Fellows? Are they A-100s for the Pickering and Rangel fellows only? That's great news either way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure anyone knows yet, but I have a friend starting as an EL CDO next week, so maybe she'll have some words of wisdom?

Also, hey, how about that recommendation to move CA to DHS? :ohdear:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

the_chavi posted:

Also, hey, how about that recommendation to move CA to DHS? :ohdear:

First I've heard of this. I really hope it's not true

:ohdear:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Slaan posted:

Almost happened after 9/11, but legacy-INS-DHS was in such bad shape State held on to it.

So basically nothing has changed.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Slaan posted:

https://diplopundit.net/2017/06/29/trump-white-house-reportedly-considering-folding-ca-and-prm-to-homeland-security/

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Also the incoming A/S for Consular Affairs (assuming he gets through) has testified before Congress in favor of moving CA to DHS.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Man, that guy's testimony (from his lofty two years of work before he resigned) is so internally inconsistent it hurts to read it.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

My CG at post is really worried about that possible switch. Hopefully the deputies at CA will drag their feet with this and launch "study" after "study" before actually doing this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is it true what this article mentuins about the next class of FSOs being cancelled: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/29/how-rex-tillerson-destroying-state-department-215319

Is it still worth signing up? Thinking it might be better for me to continue my career in the financial field than join a Tillerson/Trump State at this point.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shageletic posted:

Is it true what this article mentuins about the next class of FSOs being cancelled: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/29/how-rex-tillerson-destroying-state-department-215319

Is it still worth signing up? Thinking it might be better for me to continue my career in the financial field than join a Tillerson/Trump State at this point.

OBE. At least two classes have been approved for later this summer.

As for your other question, only you can answer that.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

As for your other question, only you can answer that.

Yup - it does take a while to complete the process so funding and conditions may be a bit more apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

zzonkmiles posted:

My CG at post is really worried about that possible switch. Hopefully the deputies at CA will drag their feet with this and launch "study" after "study" before actually doing this.

It is really concerning, especially when the survey somehow magically discovered support for this move. However, wouldn't this require legislative approval?