Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

njsykora posted:

It's a semi-autonomous race between Mario and Sam Schmidt.

It's amazing to see how far this technology has come in just the last few years, never have I seen Sam Schmidt so happy than being able to drive again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

DoctorGonzo posted:

This is Indy practice?

The race between the two Corvettes was between Mario Andretti (F1 world champ and blatant corner-cutter) and Sam Schmidt, an Indycar team owner that was paralyzed from the neck down after a testing accident in his driving days. The two just raced around the track without the use of their hands of feet, just using their head and mouth to control the cars and do burnouts and donuts after.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WindyMan posted:

The race between the two Corvettes was between Mario Andretti (F1 world champ and blatant corner-cutter) and Sam Schmidt, an Indycar team owner that was paralyzed from the neck down after a testing accident in his driving days. The two just raced around the track without the use of their hands of feet, just using their head and mouth to control the cars and do burnouts and donuts after.

Yeah i know but this event is related to the 500? There will be more running?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

DoctorGonzo posted:

Sam Schmidt has been helping to develop this technology over the last few years, and this is the first time that two of these cars have raced against each other. I believe the first public exhibition of the car was at Long Beach back in 2015, and Sam has been using the IMS road course and oval to help test the car. Sam was doing laps on the oval at over 140mph in that car

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

Not the 500, it's just part of the on-track activities for the Indy GP (the race today). The Indy Lights race is next and the Indy GP race is in about 3 hours. Indy 500 practice proper starts Monday.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

There will be more running?

There's an Indy Lights (Indycar's GP2) race in 15 minutes and the Indycar race in a couple hours, that's the only running the rest of the day.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WindyMan posted:

Not the 500, it's just part of the on-track activities for the Indy GP (the race today). The Indy Lights race is next and the Indy GP race is in about 3 hours. Indy 500 practice proper starts Monday.

Thanks. You know if the channel will show the Indy race?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Look at this blatant cheating by Mario on the last lap

ed-

DoctorGonzo posted:

The Indycar stream won't show the Indycar race since that will be on TV. ABC if you're in the United States, check your local listings or shady internet streams if you can't find it on TV.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

DoctorGonzo posted:

The race will be broadcast on ABC here in the US and the normal international outlets, the YouTube stream will shut down before the live broadcast at 3:30EDT

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingShibby posted:

The race will be broadcast on ABC here in the US and the normal international outlets, the YouTube stream will shut down before the live broadcast at 3:30EDT

The Indy race is a proper Indy race? Im confused with Indy Gp

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

The Indy race is a proper Indy race? Im confused with Indy Gp

Years ago, when there were 40-70 cars trying to qualify for the Indy 500, they would hold practice and qualifying all throughout the Month of May for two weeks. Once the car counts went down, they trimmed p&q to one week. When the Indycar series was in need of more races, three years ago they added a round to the championship on the Indy road course on the weekend before the p&q week for the Indy 500.

So it's a separate race, but still part of the overall "Month of May" Indianapolis festivities.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WindyMan posted:

Years ago, when there were 40-70 cars trying to qualify for the Indy 500, they would hold practice and qualifying all throughout the Month of May for two weeks. Once the car counts went down, they trimmed p&q to one week. When the Indycar series was in need of more races, three years ago they added a round to the championship on the Indy road course on the weekend before the p&q week for the Indy 500.

So it's a separate race, but still part of the overall "Month of May" Indianapolis festivities.

But the regular Cars will run?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

But the regular Cars will run?

Yeah, the Indycars are coming in their race later. Right now is the Indy Lights race. Like with F1/F2/GP3 Indy has its feeder/support series (Lights/Pro Mazda/USF2000) doing their races this weekend. The main event is last.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's a regular indycar race yes. It's just on the road course.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Yeah since 2014 the Indy GP on the road course has been the official kickoff to the Month of May and seems to mean more to the feeder series than the Indy cars since all 3 feeder series race doubleheaders here. As soon as the IndyCar race ends tonight they will begin to turnaround the track to the oval configuration in preparation for the beginning of 500 practice on Monday

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

WindyMan posted:

Look at this blatant cheating by Mario on the last lap

He's no Zanardi

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I am beyond excited for the return of :flag::siren: caution probability :siren::flag:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In how many hours is the Indy race?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DoctorGonzo posted:

In how many hours is the Indy race?

1 and a half hours

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I am beyond excited for the return of :flag::siren: caution probability :siren::flag:

If only they'd do standing starts again but Saavedra ruined that for everyone :smith:
Or even double file restarts...

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Didn't like one standing start out of the 5 attempted actually work.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Any goons at the GP? I'm near turn 1 on a viewing mound.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dentist toy box posted:

Didn't like one standing start out of the 5 attempted actually work.

I thought it was 0.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Any goons at the GP? I'm near turn 1 on a viewing mound.

Besides the two of us I don't think any others are here

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kanaan and Castro Nieves are still racing? Wow. What happened to Adrián Fernández?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

Kanaan and Castro Nieves are still racing? Wow. What happened to Adrián Fernández?

Fernandez retired some time ago.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Shut it Goodyear.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

lol Goodyear still salty about '95

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Shut it Goodyear.

He is the loving worst. Cheever is giving him a run for his money today.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
ABC is loving awful

see also: Marco Andretti

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Bestwick: "We've got stories"
Every fan: "We don't care"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Please tell me these aren't the announcers for the 500

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

Bestwick: "We've got stories"
Every fan: "We don't care"

Goodyear: "I have a story. Did you know I came in second at the Indianapolis 500 that one time?"

Norns posted:

Please tell me these aren't the announcers for the 500

The good news, Alonso is in the 500!

The bad news, this broadcast team (Goodyear and Cheever) will be broadcasting this fact to the world on May 28.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

They aren't. If you press mute for the entire race. Otherwise? :smith:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh Spencer...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us