Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Started playing Shadow of Mordor and its pretty much Assassins Creed: Middle Earth???? :confuoot:

Pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Agreed, I'd love a Lovecraft Assassins Creed.

Open world Lovecraft would be tough to keep up on an atmospheric level. Though I kind of like the idea of taking Colonial Boston, throwing some fog over it, and having every other resident have an Eldritch Horror in their basement that you've got to investigate.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

How's the ending of Prey?
I just lifted the lockdown I put the game down for a few days and just do not care about picking it up again. I kind of want to hunt down the one guy. you know who

So How long do I have left?
Does it get good in the ending?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So I've played like an hour of FFXV and it seems pretty cool, only it's slow as gently caress and I'm not into that open world thing really. Is there some point in the game the pace picks up?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Not really

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

1redflag posted:

Not really

:negative:

How about those other hyped-up ps4 games, are they all open world snore fests? I've already done Persona

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's not really much of an open world, really

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ometeotl posted:

It's not really much of an open world, really

In FFXV? I'd say it plays like one, it's even got those long sleepy car rides you can't skip

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks, I guess I will sleep on Furi and try again tomorrow. I didn't know the charge dash was a thing and it looks like I was being too aggressive, which is something I always need to retrain myself in like every action game

So I realized the tutorial kinda skimps on explaining some mechanics or how they interact with each other. Here's a short video covering everything not immediately obvious.
And the game devs themselves made a video of all the crazy little speedrun tricks they put in (although it spoils all the bosses in a sequential order). When the 2nd boss disappears at the start of the 5th phase, you can shoot one of the pillars next to the square indentations to lure her out.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 13, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

In FFXV? I'd say it plays like one, it's even got those long sleepy car rides you can't skip

Its a deconstruction of the typical open world game where there's an open world but the twist is there isn't actually anything in it

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's more like an open air labyrinth than an open world.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fridge corn posted:

Its a deconstruction of the typical open world game where there's an open world but the twist is there isn't actually anything in it

MGS V already did that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So I've played like an hour of FFXV and it seems pretty cool, only it's slow as gently caress and I'm not into that open world thing really. Is there some point in the game the pace picks up?

If you concentrate on the story missions the pace is arguably too fast since it doesn't stop to bother explaining things like 'what's actually going on'.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Bombadilillo posted:

How's the ending of Prey?
I just lifted the lockdown I put the game down for a few days and just do not care about picking it up again. I kind of want to hunt down the one guy. you know who

So How long do I have left?
Does it get good in the ending?

You're half way but the last 3rd is the weakest part of the game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

SOMA is a pile of cheap garbage.

2nd Furi boss, just dodge through her attacks Bloodborne-style.

She's the second easiest boss in the game. That's not a joke.

Edit:

Like, I'm not saying I regret paying $9 for SOMA. It's been an experience. And I feel like that experience was worth nine bucks.

But also, SOMA's game design, has pissed me off more than any other game I've ever played. It's just not any fun. It sucks. If it was trying to be clever, it had a chance. 5 hours of chance. And instead, it was an annoying dick that didn't do anything I hadn't seen like 20 loving years ago.

A few hours into SOMA I was ready to say: "Wow, this did Bioshock so much better than Bioshock with it's bloated and pointless exposition and clunky horrible gameplay" and then a few hours after that I was like "Wow, this is doing Bioshock 2 so much better than Bioshock 2!" but like 30 seconds after that I was like "oh, no, it's really not. this fuckin sucks."

I'm curious as to what you hate so much about the gameplay, not that it's a gameplay heavy game or I think there is anything amazing about it, but I think it's just fine for pushing the story forward and the stealthing around is more forgiving than a lot of that style of game. Most of the puzzles, while super easy are integrated into the game really well, and one of them is one of the more memorable puzzles I have played. There are a small handful of annoying parts though.

Also if you are comparing the story to Bioshock I don't think you have really hit the point where you/Simon is aware of what is going on. I can't believe that other goon thinks its insipid. Imo the story in Soma is so goddamn good what is going on here?! Lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"Insipid" is probably how I'd describe SOMA's writing, too. It's a story about basic transhumanist concepts that does nothing new or interesting with them besides making the player character too stupid to grasp any of it, and then muddies its message further with generic monster-chase mechanics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
TBF if you consume a ton of sci-fi you have probably encountered all those concepts before. They're presented really well though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

TBF if you consume a ton of sci-fi you have probably encountered all those concepts before. They're presented really well though.

Yeah. It's the presentation and how it is used in a video game that make it really interesting.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. It's the presentation and how it is used in a video game that make it really interesting.

i.e. Talos Principle is very good and the way it's presented and unfolds is very well done. at the core, the sci-fi concept is kind of babby's first philosophical asimov-esque scifi writing, but it works well with video-game media is great and it was enjoyable. It's not something that would work nearly as well as a book, if not at all really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I feel that way about Talos principle too. I actually hated Talos Principle's story and put it down for 6 months about 1/3 of the way through the game. I just thought it was really cheesy. But when I picked it back up I ended up loving it. Once the concept of the cheesy philosophical stuff starts to make sense it totally clicks. Great ending too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
And the audio logs also really helped sell and solidify aspects of it, like the main scientistic chick and as you get further and further they just get more :smith: and the one near the ending was really sad, and then you finish the game and it's more heartening since well, y'know.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I had a lot of fun with FFXV, but I also played it in fits and starts. It's definitely flawed, but I think it's the best mainline FF I've played since X.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Attitude Indicator posted:

I'm vaguely interested in Soma's setting, but the gameplay just seems like a chore. It's a walking simulator with bad stealth sections, correct?

I understand the term walking simulator as distinct from adventure game, and I'd say SOMA is more of an adventure/puzzle hybrid. There's a lot of focus on thinking abstractly about the environment and what the devs will let you do with it, so a huge part of the game is being observant of what's around you since there aren't really any giant glowing button prompts to tell you how to solve a puzzle, and most of the satisfaction comes from figuring it out by yourself without looking it up. If you follow the pace of the game's story based on those precepts then it all makes more sense, because the game is playing psychological tricks on you with regard to pacing, expectation, frustration, cognitive dissonance, etc.

If you go into it just wanting to action-blaze through scenery and exposition like you would in a Bioshock game you're doing SOMA's atmosphere a disservice (and SOMA is even playing with Bioshock tropes and player expectations in order to subvert them). Sort of like The Last of Us, SOMA may not be fun in a 'gamey' way, but it makes up for it by being internally consistent, engaging, and immersive.

It's not for everyone but I thought it was pretty amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 13, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF15 picks up halfway through, where it becomes much linear and faster paced. Most people don't really consider it an improvement though (I didn't mind.) But it's been patched a lot so maybe it's better now.
The fast travel system in the game is unintuitive, but learning to use it cuts down the car travel to just a loading screen. Disclaimer: loading screen may last longer than the car trip.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I understand the term walking simulator as distinct from adventure game, and I'd say SOMA is more of an adventure/puzzle hybrid. There's a lot of focus on thinking abstractly about the environment and what the devs will let you do with it, so a huge part of the game is being observant of what's around you since there aren't really any giant glowing button prompts to tell you how to solve a puzzle, and most of the satisfaction comes from figuring it out by yourself without looking it up. If you follow the pace of the game's story based on those precepts then it all makes more sense, because the game is playing psychological tricks on you with regard to pacing, expectation, frustration, cognitive dissonance, etc.

If you go into it just wanting to action-blaze through scenery and exposition like you would in a Bioshock game you're doing SOMA's atmosphere a disservice (and SOMA is even playing with Bioshock tropes and player expectations in order to subvert them). Sort of like The Last of Us, SOMA may not be fun in a 'gamey' way, but it makes up for it by being internally consistent, engaging, and immersive.

It's not for everyone but I thought it was pretty amazing.

This is all fine and dandy, sounds good, but I have the distinct impression a lot of Soma's gameplay involves hiding behind tables from monsters and whoops, it saw you, you're dead, please try hiding behind a different table this time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

This is all fine and dandy, sounds good, but I have the distinct impression a lot of Soma's gameplay involves hiding behind tables from monsters and whoops, it saw you, you're dead, please try hiding behind a different table this time.

Not really. There is a lot of hiding but for the most part getting hit results in progressively hosed up visuals instead of a fail state. All in all there are only about 5 enemy encounters in the whole game and each one has a unique gimmick. 75% of the game is exploration/puzzles/exposition.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Bioshock 2's story is way better​ than Bioshock 1's. That said, I barely remember either story, I just remember thinking that the whole time I was playing it.

Why I hate SOMA can be summed up as "I am too stupid for it" and have spent literally hours wandering around in circles before having to look up how to progress multiple times, and every time it turns out that any basic kind of inventory management or ability to look at notes I've viewed would have made it straight forward. The fact that there's a part of the game where you can look at an ID badge with a number on it, and then go tyoe that number into a computer, but if you get it wrong you have to walk all the way back to the badge to look at it again because you both can't pick it up and the game is too cool to have any kind of info log is just annoying. Sure, I get it, I the player have to remember poo poo.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 13, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could just take a screenshot of it?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Not really. There is a lot of hiding but for the most part getting hit results in progressively hosed up visuals instead of a fail state. All in all there are only about 5 enemy encounters in the whole game and each one has a unique gimmick. 75% of the game is exploration/puzzles/exposition.

ah ok, this is pretty much what i wanted to know. thanks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

You could just take a screenshot of it?

Well if I knew I was gonna forget it, I would have... But in general, a story-heavy game with a lot of exposion with no way to review it seems kind of lame to me. I find the controls and interface to be very actively frustrating, which is impressive, because there's very little of either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TBH I didn't experience any of that. Where are you at in the game.

Edit: actually I do remember some of the hand movement stuff being annoying on a controller.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
e: I'm an idiot

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm definitely the idiot here.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fridge corn posted:

That's just what 'open world' means to me, a lot of empty space between ~content hubs~ and I hate it, the empty space and the evenly spaced bounties/side missions they hide to force you to suffer through it all

It's like some dude had played an old JRPG and thought that "wow this abstract world map is kind of unimmersive, what if we were to handcraft every single tree and road to make it all the same scale as the villages/dungeons" and nobody told him he's a bloody moron

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked the open world because it actually looked interesting, at least once to get out of the opening desert area, and the bro trip part of the game was the best thing in it, apart from the last chapter.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I'm loading my game, and the loading screen tells me what's going on much more althan anything in the game ever has. It says "Simon is trying to start a shuttle that he can ride to Lambda, where he is supposed to meet Catherine, the woman on the radio."

I had forgotten that person even existed because I'd been wandering in circles for hours.

Edit: Earlier I said that "SOMA loving sucks" and that's not fair. What I should have said is that my experience playing SOMA sucks.

I kike the story so far, and I like the setting, but the adventure game mechanics feel insanely obtuse and frustrating to me. I guess I just haven't been in the right mindset or something.

Like I'm trying to play the game like it's MYST, which is a fundamentally wrong approach for a game where most interactive elements are meaningless. Every area I go into, I find some interactive element and I play with it trying to figure outbhow it helps me progress, and after a long time, I get frustrated and look up how I'm supposed to progress and the answer is always "why were you even doing that? It doesn't do anything?"

Like, where I got stuck last night, it turned out I was missing a tunnel I was supposed to crawl through, meanwhile I was playing with the doors of a train car trying to figure out if opening and closing them did anything.

Then today, I saw a sign that said "Lambda 350m" so I continued forward, thinking that the sign, which wasn't damaged or anything, meant that my destination (Lambda) was 350 meters ahead. The path was blocked by a crashed submarined, so I started trying to find a way around it. Seeing if either side of it could be climbed or if there were any tunnels under it (after all, my last roadblock was overlooking a tunnel). In the end, it turned out that I was supposed to turn almost all the way around, making a loving 120 degree right turn to progress.

Where there is an enemy. The game has an extra life/damage system of some kind where when enemies hit you, you just kind of respawn with your vision fuzzy. But I don't know which way I'm facing anymore, so I end uo wandering in the wrong direction until I realize I'm back where I started, and turn around. I make my way back to the sign, find the pequod, and make the turn that still makes no sense to me... And stumble into the enemy again. Okay, know I get my bearings. I stealth around the enemy and continue towards what I assume is my destination. I see a window, but it's hard to reach, okay, there's a path nesr the window. I follow it. It's a dead end.

THIS IS ALL IN SLOW MOTION

you can jump in this game, but you can't jump over anything or across any gaps. Which I guess means I should know to stop trying by know. When I reach a shin-high obstacle and try to jump over it, I'm wasting my time and should have just started walking around it already.

Like, I'm ready to accept that most of negative experiences with the game are more about me than the game, but at the same time, it's not a game that helps you learn how to play it. And every once in awhile you get a cutscene where the player character revealed that somehow they're even dumber than me.

Which maybe makes more sense when you consider​ that even though I've been playing this game for a least six hours, I think I'm actually only like an hour into it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 13, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

That's just what 'open world' means to me, a lot of empty space between ~content hubs~ and I hate it, the empty space and the evenly spaced bounties/side missions they hide to force you to suffer through it all

It's like some dude had played an old JRPG and thought that "wow this abstract world map is kind of unimmersive, what if we were to handcraft every single tree and road to make it all the same scale as the villages/dungeons" and nobody told him he's a bloody moron

I meant that ffvx lacks even content hubs - the game is devoid of anything

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The problem I had with SOMA was that each monster encounter just felt out of place. It dragged down the rest of the game by forcing you through these stupid unnecessary gameplay sections. One of the few games that would have been better as a walking simulator. That said, it's worth pushing through because the story is great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Like, I'm loading my game, and the loading screen tells me what's going on much more althan anything in the game ever has. It says "Simon is trying to start a shuttle that he can ride to Lambda, where he is supposed to meet Catherine, the woman on the radio."

I had forgotten that person even existed because I'd been wandering in circles for hours.

Something has gone very wrong in your playthrough my man. Catherine contacts you and tells you to meet her and you should have met her about 1.5 hours in. The story is pretty straight forward.

I would probably hate the game too if I had been wandering around the first hour for 5 hours. Sorry, I don't mean that in a jerky way I'm just not sure how that happened.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
See my above edit for my dreadfully wrong approach to playing the game.

Don't ask how long I spent torturing the guy on the train tracks seeing if anything I did gave him more dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I didn't enjoy Zestria or Xillia, will I like Tales of Beseria? For reference I enjoyed Hearts R a lot.