Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Biplane posted:

I bought Dark Souls 3 because I wanted to git gud and experience the Souls magic but it turns out I ain't gud. Is there like a coop function or something because I am the thing dragging down the game

Yes, except in dark souls 3 you'll get invaded in under 90 seconds from the moment you summon another player most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Well, gently caress.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Biplane posted:

Well, gently caress.

Have you considered gitting gudder? :smaug:

If you're on PC you might be able to do something with cheat engine, otherwise 2 gives you basically infinite healing from early in the game but idk how it stacks up quality-wise with 3 and finding a non-scholar version might not be that easy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yeah I'm on PS4, so 3 is like my introduction to the series apart from watching my friend play through 1 back in the day. Spent about 2-3 hours on the "tutorial" boss and got to the high wall or whatever. Now I'm being clowned on by everyone and it stinks!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Biplane posted:

Well, gently caress.

In the first real area of the game you can talk to an old lady and she'll give you a covenent item that makes blue phantoms show up when you get invaded. You can summon up to three white phantoms. Red Phantoms(invaders) are at a huge disadvantage when invading you to begin with. Don't worry about invasions much. Have fun co-oping if that's how you want to play. The next boss is immensely easier than Gundyr, I assure you. It's harder to reach him than to beat him. Don't forget to upgrade your estus flask with the estus flask shards and bone shards you find laying around.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Biplane posted:

Well, gently caress.

Don't worry, you can do what most do and summon another person, making it a 3 v 1 gank squad and annoying the invader.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Maybe I'll give it the ol' college try tonight after everyones gone to bed! I'm Broplane on PSN if anyone wants to gently caress around or whatever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kay Kessler posted:

Have you gotten to the fifth Palace? Because if not, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Yeah just got to his little temper tantrum before I posted that

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Biplane posted:

Maybe I'll give it the ol' college try tonight after everyones gone to bed! I'm Broplane on PSN if anyone wants to gently caress around or whatever.

If you still need some help when you get to the boss fog, there should be a bot summon around its entrance. The later games have done a great job adding offline summons for people playing the game long after release or if their internet connection is choppy.

The summon may not do enough damage but their best ability is drawing aggro away from you.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Biplane posted:

Yeah I'm on PS4, so 3 is like my introduction to the series apart from watching my friend play through 1 back in the day. Spent about 2-3 hours on the "tutorial" boss and got to the high wall or whatever. Now I'm being clowned on by everyone and it stinks!

This was basically my original Dark Souls experience but I kept hammering away at it until I managed to beat the first few bosses (I think I have the run to the Taurus Demon etched in my brain from having done it so many times now) and eventually I just realized I was slowly getting a lot more competent at it and had a lot less trouble getting through the rest. Then I beat the game two more times to get all the poo poo I needed to unlock all the achievements. Certain bosses were still nightmares but the game went from "gently caress everything keeps murdering me, this sucks" to "drat, that didn't work, what if I try this instead...or maybe..." and it was just a fun challenge from there on.

I also can't speak for DS3 since I haven't played it but for the original it helped to treat each new area and enemy encounter as like, a puzzle rather than a hack n' slash fight. Positioning, tactical approach, choice of gear all matter. Even your particular stat build can change things a lot, so it's not a bad idea to read up on friggin' everything. Also from what I understand, DS3 took a few lessons from Bloodborne so playing super defensively with a shield isn't necessarily the way to go, and in any case learning enemy timing and how to dodge effectively is super important. I dunno, just keep at it and you'll eventually find yourself doing poo poo you couldn't imagine doing when you started

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kit Walker posted:

This was basically my original Dark Souls experience but I kept hammering away at it until I managed to beat the first few bosses (I think I have the run to the Taurus Demon etched in my brain from having done it so many times now) and eventually I just realized I was slowly getting a lot more competent at it and had a lot less trouble getting through the rest. Then I beat the game two more times to get all the poo poo I needed to unlock all the achievements. Certain bosses were still nightmares but the game went from "gently caress everything keeps murdering me, this sucks" to "drat, that didn't work, what if I try this instead...or maybe..." and it was just a fun challenge from there on.

I also can't speak for DS3 since I haven't played it but for the original it helped to treat each new area and enemy encounter as like, a puzzle rather than a hack n' slash fight. Positioning, tactical approach, choice of gear all matter. Even your particular stat build can change things a lot, so it's not a bad idea to read up on friggin' everything. Also from what I understand, DS3 took a few lessons from Bloodborne so playing super defensively with a shield isn't necessarily the way to go, and in any case learning enemy timing and how to dodge effectively is super important. I dunno, just keep at it and you'll eventually find yourself doing poo poo you couldn't imagine doing when you started

Dark Souls is definitely a series where it takes a while before everything clicks and you stop being super horrible at it.

That said, DS3 has probably the fastest, least forgiving combat in the series and isn't the best place to enter for a new player.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
The sooner you stop using a shield the better things go, shields are traps. It is universally better to dodge than to block, you take less damage, you lose less stamina and in the rolling animation you can queue attacks back, which is good for most bosses who are not locked into combos. Also keep your weight below 70% else you will fat roll and that is basically a death sentence.

Other few tips for DS games.

1) Armor means nothing.

2) Aggression > Evasiveness

3) DODGE

4) Don't get greedy, always save some stamina for emergency "oh poo poo" rolls.

5) All weapons are good and will do good, a good starting weapon that is better than the norm is the Astora Straight Sword, if you get a chance to make it Raw at the smith the Raw rear end will do you well for some time. (I am in no way kidding)

6) Comfort, find a weapon or style YOU are comfortable with, and enjoy using. You can try to emulate someone elses set up but if you can't use it comfortably you are going to get turned into kibble.

7) The fire keeper lady will emote back to you so bow to her every once in a while the girl could use a friend.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Len posted:

Imo this cat is worse than Teddie in almost every way.

Persona 5 was my first one in the series so now I'm going back and playing what I missed, so I'm only a little bit into 4 but holy poo poo Teddie is so creepy and I loving hate him and miss Morgana

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I genuinely don't understand how "Morgana is worse than Teddie" is an opinion someone could have. Morgana can be annoying, but Tesdie is so much worse. His literal only personality traits after the midway point of the game or so are "bear puns, pervert". Don't even get me started on the spinoffs.

Thats good thread content actually. Thing dragging persona 4 spinoffs down - Teddie. He was insufferable in the fighting games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think Morganna gets the source of ire because he bullies you into going to bed when previously the protagonist would just decide they should goto bed on their own.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Feonir posted:

The sooner you stop using a shield the better things go, shields are traps. It is universally better to dodge than to block, you take less damage, you lose less stamina and in the rolling animation you can queue attacks back, which is good for most bosses who are not locked into combos. Also keep your weight below 70% else you will fat roll and that is basically a death sentence.

Other few tips for DS games.

1) Armor means nothing.

2) Aggression > Evasiveness

3) DODGE

4) Don't get greedy, always save some stamina for emergency "oh poo poo" rolls.

5) All weapons are good and will do good, a good starting weapon that is better than the norm is the Astora Straight Sword, if you get a chance to make it Raw at the smith the Raw rear end will do you well for some time. (I am in no way kidding)

6) Comfort, find a weapon or style YOU are comfortable with, and enjoy using. You can try to emulate someone elses set up but if you can't use it comfortably you are going to get turned into kibble.

7) The fire keeper lady will emote back to you so bow to her every once in a while the girl could use a friend.

Pro tips all around. Thank you goons I have decided to not give up.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Persona 5's Merciless mode ensures that i'm level 16-17 into palace 3, whereas Makoto starts at level 21. why reduce the EXP gain?! poo poo, it's a good thing I have the P4 costume pack.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
Despite my previous bitching, I really loved Breath of the Wild. I did a ton of the side stuff, most of the shrines, all of Kass' quests, etc., but I still killed Ganon after playing for like... four days?
The ending felt like a bit of a cop-out, just sort of oddly paced after such a slowly paced game because it came so fast.
Also, I want to keep playing, and there's certainly still things to do, but it feels weirdly boring now. Maybe I need to set myself a goal like doing every shrine or something. I think it's amazing that there's so much poo poo to do, I killed Ganon and my completion meter is only at like 15%, but I don't have seemingly any motivation to get that meter higher. Maybe I'm just burnt out.
The game is loving delusional though if it thinks I'm getting 900 loving Korok Seeds for completion. :colbert:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Despite my previous bitching, I really loved Breath of the Wild. I did a ton of the side stuff, most of the shrines, all of Kass' quests, etc., but I still killed Ganon after playing for like... four days?
The ending felt like a bit of a cop-out, just sort of oddly paced after such a slowly paced game because it came so fast.
Also, I want to keep playing, and there's certainly still things to do, but it feels weirdly boring now. Maybe I need to set myself a goal like doing every shrine or something. I think it's amazing that there's so much poo poo to do, I killed Ganon and my completion meter is only at like 15%, but I don't have seemingly any motivation to get that meter higher. Maybe I'm just burnt out.
The game is loving delusional though if it thinks I'm getting 900 loving Korok Seeds for completion. :colbert:

The game literally gives you poo poo for doing all the seeds.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Feonir posted:

I mainly go shieldless now, but I think you're underselling them. They're really good in DS1. In 2/3 there are a lot of terrible shields but but still plenty of good ones. You definitely do need to learn to play aggressively and not just block->counterattack but they were a useful stepping stone for me on the road to gitting good. I still use them for projectile heavy areas.

I also wear one on my back when my character is Lucatiel cosplaying because it's part of the set dammit.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

frodnonnag posted:

The game literally gives you poo poo for doing all the seeds.

I finished the game with maybe... I dunno, 30? It's cool they give you upgrades but come on, that's loving insane. I looked this up though and it's hilarious, I would be so pissed off if I actually tried

edit: oops, no content post.
I'm also gonna agree with everyone else and say the rain mechanic could be good, but it ends up just being frustrating because I think it could be implemented better. As it stands, it's much too limiting, especially because in order to pass time you often need a campfire, and obviously you can't light one without shelter if it's raining :downs:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
keep a grass crest shield on your back just for the stamina regen.

hell, it was key for me when i did the final boss in the ringed city dlc since i could whip it out and tank the near instantaneous ranged attack in phase 2.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Moon Monster posted:

I mainly go shieldless now, but I think you're underselling them. They're really good in DS1. In 2/3 there are a lot of terrible shields but but still plenty of good ones. You definitely do need to learn to play aggressively and not just block->counterattack but they were a useful stepping stone for me on the road to gitting good. I still use them for projectile heavy areas.

I also wear one on my back when my character is Lucatiel cosplaying because it's part of the set dammit.

I think shields were at their worst in DS2, not because the shields are bad, but dual-wielding was such a huge DPS boost that you missed out on that fights ended up being a lot longer and more dangerous anyway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

keep a grass crest shield on your back just for the stamina regen.
hands up who else thought we were still on Zelda and was like "whaaaat"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Me!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
dark souls 3 pvp is at its worst when you invade someone that does not at least try to be funny when their gank squad kills you

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
poo poo dragging down the PS4: when your cat walks too close to it or you put your foot near it and it ejects the CD

I just want buttons goddammit

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

spit on my clit posted:

dark souls 3 pvp is at its worst when you invade someone that does not at least try to be funny when their gank squad kills you

The height of video games as art is three teenagers ganging up on you and then spamming Point Down when they kill you.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

The height of video games as art is three teenagers ganging up on you and then spamming Point Down when they kill you.

I prefer The Church of the Candlebutt

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

RyokoTK posted:

Manly Miner Men was the best gank squad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think Morganna gets the source of ire because he bullies you into going to bed when previously the protagonist would just decide they should goto bed on their own.

This is a lot of it, since morgana rides in your bag and sort of acts like a narrator on anything the character would previously just think about. She is mostly omnipresent throughout most the game and very hard to ignore.

Which is fine, because bag cat buddy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morgana is a boy.

Cats don't know how names work.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I worded poorly so. I meant for 3. Shields are fantastical in 1 and in some bits of 2. In 3 you having a shield up for almost any reason is asking to be mulched unless you are using a buckler to parry.

Also something I forgot to mention the early game swamp can be intimidating if you find a blessed gem on a lucky drop throw it on a shield or offhand fist weapon, even when not wielded blessed (hp regen) or simple (FP regen) weapons or items in your off hand still give you the regeneration.

Sun princess ring and Blessed fists, shield etc gives you more regen than the swamp can tick you down for on NG+ runs. If you go slow and careful that regen counts for a ton of health outside of hoping the old sunny D flask recharges.

Feonir has a new favorite as of 22:29 on May 13, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feonir posted:

I worded poorly so. I meant for 3. Shields are fantastical in 1 and in some bits of 2. In 3 you having a shield up for almost any reason is asking to be mulched unless you are using a buckler to parry.

This is a huge exaggeration. If you only ever block and never dodge then yes it will get bad, but especially early on, there are plenty of things you can block and be just fine.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Digirat posted:

This is a huge exaggeration. If you only ever block and never dodge then yes it will get bad, but especially early on, there are plenty of things you can block and be just fine.

Early habits lead to ingrained habits. There are few bosses where I would advise blocking over dodging.

Also Ninja Edit: I am currently on New Game +8 on my SL 150 character sooooo, it is really enforced, blocking is bad. Though honestly doing anything but being very careful on NG8 is a death sentence.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

On the other hand I ran into a group who decided their gimmick would be crossbows and nothing but crossbows. I eventually kicked the host off a cliff but my dude had like a million arrows sticking out of him. Good game all around.

Feonir posted:

Early habits lead to ingrained habits. There are few bosses where I would advise blocking over dodging.

I think one kind of frustrating thing is that you can't really treat bosses and regular enemies the same in that regard. Shields can trivialize most enemies you see in the world if it's a 100% phys resist. But most bosses will just smash through that and wreck you.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

On the other hand I ran into a group who decided their gimmick would be crossbows and nothing but crossbows. I eventually kicked the host off a cliff but my dude had like a million arrows sticking out of him. Good game all around.

See? Thats comedy, that's legit. Then you got the guys that summon the loving Pillar Men to protect their rear end while they sit back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

See? Thats comedy, that's legit. Then you got the guys that summon the loving Pillar Men to protect their rear end while they sit back.

It would be legit if it was three cosplayers though. I would summon Kars, Whammu and Esidisi in a heartbeat.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Feonir posted:

I have a friend who's playing Scholar of the First Sin as his first Dark Souls experience (though he played Bloodborne), he's not using a shield and he's keeping his equip weight at exactly 100%.

And he's...loving it? :confused:

I think he just enjoys figuring out a definitely wrong way to play a game, and sticking to it. When he played Bloodborne he killed every NPC he encountered immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Dead Cells

I got gifted this nightmare and holy poo poo where to begin. I got snookered into this one hard, the combat is fast the game play is legitimately fun the problem stems with this being billed as a Roguevania which is just Roguelite but we are being cheeky fuckers and it is starting to become almost as bad as "Procedural Generation."

I was under the impression it was a souls like game but it is not death means you lose progress and go back to just about scratch, all items, money, souls but permanently so. Holy hell my first two deaths were utter bullshit. My only path to advance, (Brand new game) was blocked off by...something I never even saw it on my screen because it had made three enemies immune to me and deal lethal damage in 2-3 hits. Sure, fine, I died whatever brush it off come back strong. First pack of enemies was three all not animating on one giant pile, I lost 90 of 140 health because I blocked one attack and the other two just eviscerated me.

I respawn (You lose all items, money, souls etc permanently until you get further in the game remember) and again my first pack of enemies is three shield dudes with two ranged enemies behind them. It is the only way to progress and they just stuck it in my rear end so hard. This isn't difficult its insane. You get no Iframes on rolling, the parry mechanic of the shield only works on one enemy even if you timed it to both.

No saving no nothing, in lieu of measured systems allowing progress you get Rogue Legacies ideal of just start fresh and maybe this time you will get a lucky run this time.

My fault for not paying attention to those important words. Roguelike. It is just a shame you do not keep tangible progress because the combat is enjoyable when you are not crowd surfing shield dudes in closed quarters to your destination.

I had the giver refund it no sense keeping it, just sent them Badrats in return so they can feel my pain.