Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revolther
May 27, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Yeah I can see 6 gig 1060's on Newegg for $220, that would probably be your best bet and would last you for a good long time to come. I have one and it's perfect for 1080p 60fps gaming. (although not in Battlegrounds because I still can't hit a consistent 60fps no matter what settings I use.)
1060 does good in this game. I can play with everything on Ultra and maintain 60+ with occasional dips, the framerate only tanks in the plane/drop for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

revolther posted:

1060 does good in this game. I can play with everything on Ultra and maintain 60+ with occasional dips, the framerate only tanks in the plane/drop for some reason.

Yeah that's what I mean, the lobby and plane will bring me to 30fps, but once I land it's >60fps 90% of the time. Just wish it could be a locked 60 at all times.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
My first chicken dinner
:feelsgood:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Futuresight posted:

Why? What's wrong with laser eyes? How does constantly dealing with it pain you?

Aside from making things look more realistic, it makes things more fair. Currently if someone wants to shoot you, they have to expose most of their upper body. That makes sighting them and returning fire a more reasonable possibility and makes shots riskier. If people can take shots in relative safety, people will take potshots at someone every time they try to advance knowing theres a very slim possibility of being spotted and taking return fire. It encourages camping and discourages stalking people and repositioning to get better shots when you can just wait for them to move while they hunt for you.

Also, being able to hide the gun behind cover hides the muzzle flash which makes spotting even harder.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

So does ADS and the zoomed in third person provide the same amount of recoil reduction as compared to hip-firing? Is it just that ADS lets you actually look through your optic?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I guess I can see those issues being annoying in this kind of game. I never found it a problem in CS though as that's a game practically custom built around loving about for a while trying to get a shot on some fucker without getting shot back. In this game they really just need to adjust some of the map features so that you aren't constantly dealing with not being able to shoot someone you can clearly aim at. Those windows with horizontal bars are the worst where the bar blocks shots while you're standing and the window sill blocks shots while crouched. If it wasn't so often you're getting blocked people would just adjust after running into it a couple times. Right now you can't "adjust" beyond just knowing where you literally can't shoot at people from at all because the map geography is fucky.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Great Beer posted:

Aside from making things look more realistic, it makes things more fair. Currently if someone wants to shoot you, they have to expose most of their upper body. That makes sighting them and returning fire a more reasonable possibility and makes shots riskier. If people can take shots in relative safety, people will take potshots at someone every time they try to advance knowing theres a very slim possibility of being spotted and taking return fire. It encourages camping and discourages stalking people and repositioning to get better shots when you can just wait for them to move while they hunt for you.

Also, being able to hide the gun behind cover hides the muzzle flash which makes spotting even harder.

That and the game will turn overnight into who can memorize the most obscure peek-hole sniper spots the fastest and turn into an arms race between the developers focusing on patching out game-breaking tiny holes in geometry vs actually making the game better.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

On today's edition of being a goon: Which minorly inconvenient game mechanic that affects everyone equally can I complain and then offer a bad and easily exploitable solution for?

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Somehow managed to win my very first game but the best I've done in the next forty was fourth place. Lately I've been going straight for buggies at the start of the game so I can circle around the buildings other players go in until the blue circle engulfs them and I drive away. Don't get a point for the kill but it makes me cackle like an imbecile.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz
8.00 GB of system memory which is probably my actual issue
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

I'm on pretty much the same setup. i5-2500k, 560ti and 8gb. I usually get about 40fps, so there might be something else wrong if yours is unplayable. I am overclocked with an ssd - maybe that makes the difference?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

f#a# posted:

From a ways back, but that was The Pianist.

I know because my first real date was taking a girl who was really into Classical music to it.

It chilled me enough to stick with me after I saw it, but I guess not enough to remember what movie it was from.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

dmnz posted:

My first chicken dinner
:feelsgood:

how the gently caress you win a game and only kill 2 people lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

Camp

We won a squad game yesterday and I had 7 kills, commoners had 5 or 6, and the other two had 3.

Don't stop until u kill everyone

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yall motherfuckers getting carried

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Death to campers.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BigFuriousEchidnaSmoocherZ

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I see some clips with players using a really wide FOV, are these just old videos or is it one of those dumb options you can change by editing .ini files or something?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Roumba posted:

I see some clips with players using a really wide FOV, are these just old videos or is it one of those dumb options you can change by editing .ini files or something?

Does it looked curled around the edges, or is the screen just wider?

For example, all of my videos (the ones in the OP) are all on an Ultra-widescreen monitor, so you have a wider FOV but its not artificially widened.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

ThePeavstenator posted:

7.1, 5.1, etc on headphones is meaningless. 7.1 means 7 speaker channels, 1 subwoofer, on surround sound systems this matters, on headphones it's a marketing gimmick. You have 2 ears, you detect direction by the delays in sound reaching each ear, and headphones replicate this.

Please,keep playing 2 channel.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Presumably it means you'd have to be more on guard for technically impossible positioning, like dudes shooting you through spaces they can see through but couldn't logically shoot a bullet through?

I dunno I like the suggestion of gun resting, but that kind of "lock to cover" mechanic could be detrimental to the core gameplay.

Can be done without locking to cover, Rising storm has the function and all it requires is that the cover is under your weapon.
People also shoot window sills and frames in Rising storm/Red Orchestra games.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The more I play, the less I care about winning and the more I care about killing all motherfuckers, which is really how it should be.

Outside of the final circles (where you literally have to), gently caress campers forever.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

tehinternet posted:

The more I play, the less I care about winning and the more I care about killing all motherfuckers, which is really how it should be.

Outside of the final circles (where you literally have to), gently caress campers forever.

I'm getting surgical with clearing houses with a shotgun, camping is boring. Shotguns aren't

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

There's a lot of complaints about camping but there's a big difference between hiding in a bathtub with a shotgun pointed towards the door and hanging out at a compound shooting at anything that comes near.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Bill Barber posted:

In a squad game and by picking your fights?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Whats the best way to hunt people abd pick fights anyhow? I've been trying to drop more aggressively or at least have a plan at the beginning of games, so I've had a lot of games start where I get a kill right away. Then I end up just... never finding anyone until the end of the game????

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Whats the best way to hunt people abd pick fights anyhow? I've been trying to drop more aggressively or at least have a plan at the beginning of games, so I've had a lot of games start where I get a kill right away. Then I end up just... never finding anyone until the end of the game????

Especially solo unless you have a suppressor it's best not to pick long range gunfights if you don't have to. Gunshots just bring people to you like crazy.
Pick something close/medium range.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jerkface posted:

Luck, mostly. The most reliable way to get someone near you is to make a ton of noise then hide, but that's more likely to get you killed than anything else.

Then again I have revved a car into a field and hid and had people just walk straight up to the car, so pubbies are really dumb.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
pubgies

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

VulgarandStupid posted:

On today's edition of being a goon: Which minorly inconvenient game mechanic that affects everyone equally can I complain and then offer a bad and easily exploitable solution for?

It affects everyone but it's still obnoxious, why wouldn't people want to fix it?

Laser eyes is a pretty bad solution, though.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Directional Indicators might be a good solution if the desync in the game isn't fixable. Like when you walk to cover but get shot as you're entering it - you might feel that hit while you're already in cover and walk out of cover as a result. This sucks!

Studio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 13, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Jerkface posted:

Whenever you hear a gunshot that's close to you, actively hunt it out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Punch a dude to death. Felt good.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I dropped on a building and found auto shotgun and vest 2 inside. Well time to make a base and start camping..

After 4 or so kills the remaining people started suspecting something when there was a pile of loot crates on top of the stairs.. I finally had to leave when the circle moved away, and some guy who was counter-camping me outside killed me.

Should have spent even a little time looking around when going out.. anyways camping inside a good building is nice, enemies are easy to kill and they bring nice loot straight to you.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Had a cool moment today; A guy got the drop on me from range but I got behind some cover before he finished me off. I let a few seconds go by then I darted for a work shed with 1 door. I was in such a hurry to get to my first aid that I forgot to close the door behind me. The guy finds me, but instead of charging into my AKM he wisely decides he wants to chuck a grenade in through the open door. I see him wind up and everything starts moving in slow motion. Just as the grenade left his hand, I ran towards the door and slammed it closed. The grenade bounced off the door and exploded harmlessly on the other side. I felt pretty pro right then.

I ended up winning the shootout afterwards, which was just icing on the cake.

Ihmemies posted:

I dropped on a building and found auto shotgun and vest 2 inside. Well time to make a base and start camping..

After 4 or so kills the remaining people started suspecting something when there was a pile of loot crates on top of the stairs.. I finally had to leave when the circle moved away, and some guy who was counter-camping me outside killed me.

Should have spent even a little time looking around when going out.. anyways camping inside a good building is nice, enemies are easy to kill and they bring nice loot straight to you.

It always amazes me how patient some people are in these situations. It doesn't matter that the blue is coming, there are bullets whizzing all around and death messages left and right... there is always a guy just waiting for someone to try to jump in their jeep trap.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 14, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are any of the pistols even worth a spit against someone with a primary weapon? The recoil on all of them are extremely bad for the amount of damage they do.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The ability to hide the names of the people you were killed by would be nice. Being shot by human meme-named garbage named |<|<|<_Grand_Wizard or Lynchin_Cucks is getting a bit old. You can't see their names until you kill them anyway.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jimbot posted:

Are any of the pistols even worth a spit against someone with a primary weapon? The recoil on all of them are extremely bad for the amount of damage they do.

Only if you are extremely lucky.

That said Grandpa's service pistol forever.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Jimbot posted:

I bagged two separate people with a silenced 1911 today. One was a solid distance away on top of a conex box, but he was fixated on another teammate.

One on one you're right, they're not going to get it done against anything else.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I figured as much. I don't expect them to go up against someone with a primary weapon but goddamn do they have some serious recoil for the amount of damage they do. I think I've had better recoil going full-auto with an unmodded SMG.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Shoot first. Thats probably the only way and have your aim on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like if you get the drop on someone with the revolver maybe

• Locked thread