Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm not sure what you're describing but it's nothing like the console shooter map vote system he was talking about.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Gears of war had a system where they present two maps, and each player gets one vote. If tie it's a coin flip. Simple.

You claimed that in this system that the people who hated a particular map would end up playing that map more often than they would under a purely random system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

You claimed that in this system that the people who hated a particular map would end up playing that map more often than they would under a purely random system.

Yes, in a simple majority voting system, if a map that you don't like is generally popular you will see it more often.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Secret message in Lunara's base HP?

These are sad times we live in.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I not only hate the idea of a veto, I also hate the idea of a map rotation at all. The thing that differentiates HotS from other MOBAs is the battlegrounds. That's the tactical tradeoff for not worrying about item builds or separate xp levels.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I not only hate the idea of a veto, I also hate the idea of a map rotation at all. The thing that differentiates HotS from other MOBAs is the battlegrounds. That's the tactical tradeoff for not worrying about item builds or separate xp levels.

I'm fine with a rotation as long as it's a varied enough pool and rotates frequently enough, or if it's the style of "We noticed X map is really unbalanced with the last 2 characters we released. So we're phasing them out for the next 2 weeks" or like what happened when Haunted Mines was mothballed for a rework because the hero scaling changes made what was already a lovely map unplayable. With the exception of the unbalanced/broken map thing it really should only apply to QM though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Varian can eat a thousand dicks.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Secret message in Lunara's base HP?

You're gonna have to explain this one to me.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shadowlyger posted:

You're gonna have to explain this one to me.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=1488

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

BRJohnson posted:

Sorry to the dudes I dropped out on while playing as Azmodunk tonight. Somebody literally walked right into my house and I absolutely had to deal with it : /

Also I don't mind any of the maps yet (only started playing again a week or so ago). Is the hate because the more specialized maps create situations where certain teams/heroes are poo poo?

I was on that team, don't worry about it. That exact same thing happened to me the other day, that's just life.

I don't mind any of the maps either--maybe I lack a discerning MOBA pallette--but whenever I think about the map rotation I remember all the great maps I played in the first Nexus Challenge, and it's kinda sad.

Also: still super happy I got Darth Vader Leoric and the Star Chariot mount in the same loot box. I may never git gud but I will enjoy playing dress up with my Blizzard dolls, drat it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't mind any of the maps either--maybe I lack a discerning MOBA pallette--

You're definitely not alone. I have played over a decade of dotalikes (much to my personal detriment) and I consider myself very good at these games. Yet I have a preference for a few HOTS maps and indifference towards the rest except for Garden of Terror.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
there aren't enough players to implement map bans and still have fast matchmaking at all skill levels

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Just played a QM with abathur, murky, lili, and cho'gall on Infernal Shrines. We won +5 levels. Thanks goons and pro rear end rando lili.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay, I guess I'll ask the question that's probably been answered a zillion times already and maybe caused at least one bitter argument...what's the problem with Garden of Terror?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
As someone who plays exclusively vs AI, I prefer Braxis.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, I guess I'll ask the question that's probably been answered a zillion times already and maybe caused at least one bitter argument...what's the problem with Garden of Terror?

People don't like it because it promotes passive play by trading objectives without violence and the terror is unfun to fight. I love it because TLV is my favorite thing in this game, but otherwise I'm inclined to agree.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A limited map pool is easier for new players to learn. You know what also makes it easy for new players to learn? Voice chat :colbert:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They could use Rainbow Six Siege map selection. Everyone picks the maps they want in their options. It matches ten people and then throws all the allowed maps in a pool, one more "ticket in the hat" for each player that allows it. And then it picks one. So saying no to a map makes it less likely but if you get matched people that like that map they still get their chance to play on it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm sure there's some psychological principal that says if you give someone the ability to vote for/against a map and they get it anyway due to RNG or other player's choices, that's worse than having no choice at all.

"gently caress blizzard I've had 12 games in a row without getting my choice, this sucks I quit"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

What if between all 10 players every map is vetoed? Do you then play on a map that got vetoed but not as much? That's not a hard veto system that's a soft one. Or are you suggesting the captain pick a map to ban and everyone else can shove it. Either way you're still going to be "forced" to play on a map you don't like.

You put up 3 maps and everyone votes. Don't act like no game has a map veto system that works this is just asinine

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

guys guys GUYS

I just realized they gave Kael'Thas the "kt" emote prefix.

:rip: the kel'thuzad dream

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

:kelsilly:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
:kenanandkel:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
:ktfz:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Why do people want kel'thuzad so bad?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Luminous Cow posted:

because it's kel thu frikkin zad

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so I hit level 250 last night and got my epic chest. Then I brawled as Nova 3 times and got Nova to level 2. Got 2 regular chests (brawl + level). My account level still 250. Does account level only count owned heroes? What will happen if I buy a hero I already have levels on? Will my account level go up when I buy them? Can that increase in levels give me Rare/Epic chests that are based on total account level?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nova doesn't count. You should feel ashamed just to select her

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ignite Memories posted:

Nova doesn't count. You should feel ashamed just to select her

It's an all-nova brawl, friendo.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Toshimo posted:

It's an all-nova brawl, friendo.

Should feel ashamed to select the brawl.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bolivar posted:

Should feel ashamed to select the brawl.

$20 Free loot is $20 Free loot.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Luminous Cow posted:

Kel'Thuzad/Lich was a WC3 hero unit, all the original DOTAmans were WC3 units. They've done a pretty great job of making him a funny character with a lot of distinct stuff in his post WC3 persona. Not to mention he has some room for some interesting design space if you go with the whole WC3 unit/form arc he has where it's necromancer > ghost > lich. Not that they'll do that, since they could've just as easily done the same thing with Sylv with elf > banshee > zombie elf

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so I hit level 250 last night and got my epic chest. Then I brawled as Nova 3 times and got Nova to level 2. Got 2 regular chests (brawl + level). My account level still 250. Does account level only count owned heroes? What will happen if I buy a hero I already have levels on? Will my account level go up when I buy them? Can that increase in levels give me Rare/Epic chests that are based on total account level?

All levels across owned or unowned characters counts towards your level, except level 1. Otherwise everyone would be level 20+ on account creation and gain a level and loot box every time a character is released. Not sure why you had a level up that didn't count. Are you sure you were/are 250 and not just looking at the progress counter to the next big reward for account level up?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Coolness Averted posted:

All levels across owned or unowned characters counts towards your level, except level 1. Otherwise everyone would be level 20+ on account creation and gain a level and loot box every time a character is released. Not sure why you had a level up that didn't count. Are you sure you were/are 250 and not just looking at the progress counter to the next big reward for account level up?

I can guarantee you that I checked my progression before and after the level up and I was still at 0/25 and 0/5 for the next chest reward. That level straight up did not count.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Luminous Cow posted:

Many reasons, but he's a very very iconic WC3 unit and character. He practically hand-crafted Arthas into the Lich King.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I just had my first ever hero league placement match..... I don't know why I'm surprised by the toxicity. Each match should just have a notification pop up saying "We are about to match you up with people who have poor social skills, GL HF".

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I reached a point where it was more unfun to lose than fun to win and more or less stopped playing. I blame most of this on one of my friends deciding he was a tank main (he should not be. Ever.)

The dumb cross promotion got me playing again and I still feel the same way, except oh hey I guess Leoric is pretty good again. Awesome.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Poultron posted:

Many reasons, but he's a very very iconic WC3 unit and character. He practically hand-crafted Arthas into the Lich King.

I haven't played wc3 in about a million years so I've forgotten everything other than that scene where Arthas returns and the bells are tolling.

To keep this hots related, Arthas is cool and good but I suck terribly at using him. How do I Arthas properly?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Learn to toggle E off when there's nothing to hit, and learn to aim W in front of moving heroes so they get caught in it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought the Nova brawl was pretty fun for all 15 minutes it took to complete 3 rounds.

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010

BRJohnson posted:

Sorry to the dudes I dropped out on while playing as Azmodunk tonight. Somebody literally walked right into my house and I absolutely had to deal with it : /

Also I don't mind any of the maps yet (only started playing again a week or so ago). Is the hate because the more specialized maps create situations where certain teams/heroes are poo poo?

I was wondering why you left us. I was about to take it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Uther's level 1 Q quest is done before level 3 if the other team has a Tychus or Tracer. That owns.