Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Private Speech posted:

To be fair it's harder to get into the US from outside the Americas, and the US acts like complete bastards to a lot of de-facto refugees from South/Latin America.

I mean technically in Japan refugees also have the same standing, but they've only accepted 27 out of 7,586 applicants as refugees in 2015 (and similar numbers for other years), >99% rejection rate.

In comparison Sweden accepts 76.6% (US doesn't publish stats on rejection as far as I can find, as their position is that those who are rejected are not refugees but illegal immigrants; but it is almost certainly much higher than in Sweden)

Your numbers don't add up. The US more than accepts twice as many Somilian refugees than Sweden does for example. The U.S. Somalian refugees are just as unskilled when they come here as the ones in Sweden. So your point on the "quality" of the refugees also doesn't add up.

What does Japan have to do with anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

The gently caress are you doing in this thread and not watching the Eurovision Song Contest ?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

The gently caress are you doing in this thread and not watching the Eurovision Song Contest ?

Watching a can of worms. It's enthralling.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Your numbers don't add up. The US more than accepts twice as many Somilian refugees than Sweden does for example. The U.S. Somalian refugees are just as unskilled when they come here as the ones in Sweden.

Are you comparing absolute numbers here? The US is, uh, quite a bit bigger than Sweden.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Your numbers don't add up. The US more than accepts twice as many Somilian refugees than Sweden does for example. The U.S. Somalian refugees are just as unskilled when they come here as the ones in Sweden. So your point on the "quality" of the refugees also doesn't add up.

What does Japan have to do with anything?

Ahh whatever. US also has orders of magnitude more people.

Also it's not my point about the quality of refugees, that was some other guy, probably trolling or a right wing tosser (that said he's maybe just barely got a point in that US does quite a bit of vetting plus the difficulty to get there excludes a bunch of people)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 13, 2017

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Though it is really quite astonishing, I had no idea that the US, a nation of 350 million, has taken almost more than twice the amount of refugees than sweden, a nation of 10 million. Those selfish racist swedes... and theyr making them unemployed to boot! It's a loving travesty.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i can multitask boy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You got baited by another hit-and-run American into discussing who the biggest wrongthinking racists are again

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You better vote for our bland song if you want to get any money from Schäuble. Better watch yourself, Greece!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

poo poo It's Eurovision tonight? Better head over to the GBS thread

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Even funnier US actually accepted about 20% fewer refugees than Sweden total in 2016!!!! (84-loving-thousand, and not this is not per capita in any way) (specifically 84 994)

:roflolmao: :piss:

And then there's this delightful snippet about American refugee policy

quote:

Every year, the president tells the State Department how many refugees will be allowed from each region. 2017 is the highest level ever set for refugees from the Near East and South Asia since the program began in 1980.

The "unallocated" category is distributed as needed across the different regions.

America land of opportunity for the war-torn everyone! (the cap was 85 000 (that is for the whole world, it's broken up by regions too) if anyone is wondering)

EU ended up with, what, 1 million or so in 2015. I mean it's basically the same innit. loving hell I knew the US were cunts about this but I didn't expect it to be anywhere this bad.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 13, 2017

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Yeah France has this in the bag

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Who shat on the floor?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

lollontee posted:

Who shat on the floor?

Spain.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Private Speech posted:

Even funnier US actually accepted about 20% fewer immigrants than Sweden total in 2016!!!! (84-loving-thousand, and not this is not per capita in any way) (specifically 84 994)

:roflolmao: :piss:

And then there's this delightful snippet about American refugee policy

America land of opportunity for the war-torn everyone! (the cap was 85 000 (that is for the whole world, it's broken up by regions too) if anyone is wondering)

EU ended up with, what, 1 million or so in 2015. I mean it's basically the same innit. loving hell I knew the US were cunts about this but I didn't expect it to be anywhere this bad.

Thanks obama!

Seriously though, I'm starting to get the feeling that the US as a state doesn't actually care much about anything but their own economic advantage when it comes to global misery. Maybe statue of liberty should be provided with an annotation plaque for inform us of the precice legal definitions for the tired, the poor and huddled masses. Sumthin lik eanybody reading it is by definition none of those things, and the lights of the liberties are considerable different from what they expected. Amd also to get a loving job a lazy rear end mamu, you're not in sweden anymore where severe psychological trauma or a missing limb might get you a free pass

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I said immigrants in the beginning but I meant immigrants as in refugee immigrants, should be obvious from the link or the rest of my post

Anyway yeah I'll shut up about it now

That Eurovision huh (I've never actually managed to watch the whole thing)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Talking about Eurovision? But France has a proud tradition of making sure not to win since whenever it was that they had the bird and the child. (And honestly, what's the point of winning anyway? I mean you have to pay for next year, and in these times of rigorous austerity, how can you justify such a frivolous expense?)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Worst Eurovision I have ever watched.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
So many acts looking like they were being sung at gunpoint. Maybe countries are afraid to win?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

I liked it when the presenter from Israel took the last opportunity he had to tell all of Europe that their public TV was being brought down. Just a quick reminder of this mad world's descent into fascism.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

drat. Portugal.
I hope this will knock some sense into Protestants who will recognize the superiority of the Virgin Mary

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Portugal owns. Euro 2016. Eurovision 2017. Benfica 4 times champion. 1,7% GDP growth. Just the best.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agnosticnixie posted:

So many acts looking like they were being sung at gunpoint. Maybe countries are afraid to win?

As I said, if you win, you have to pay for the next year.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

I disagree, it was better than the previous few years.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pissflaps posted:

From what I've seen, this year the UK submitted a serviceable act that other countries actually voted for! There might be hope for them yet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat. Portugal.
I hope this will knock some sense into Protestants who will recognize the superiority of the Virgin Mary

They will hopefully realize that salvation can only come through good works, and return to the fold.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
tho the winning hipster made a very eye rolling speech about how great his music is

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

lollontee posted:

Thanks obama!

Seriously though, I'm starting to get the feeling that the US as a state doesn't actually care much about anything but their own economic advantage when it comes to global misery. Maybe statue of liberty should be provided with an annotation plaque for inform us of the precice legal definitions for the tired, the poor and huddled masses. Sumthin lik eanybody reading it is by definition none of those things, and the lights of the liberties are considerable different from what they expected. Amd also to get a loving job a lazy rear end mamu, you're not in sweden anymore where severe psychological trauma or a missing limb might get you a free pass

I mean, you're not wrong.

But it's fine, the US is busy cutting its throat so soon the Euros will be able to throw off the shackles of Pax Americana.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Have you never been sixteen years old, I didn't watch his speech but it seems like something I would have said. Good for him, fight the power

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Phlegmish posted:

Have you never been sixteen years old, I didn't watch his speech but it seems like something I would have said. Good for him, fight the power

to think the uk thread wants to give 16 year olds the right to vote

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
A win for austerity

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad Portugal won with a song in Portuguese.

For something where the slogan was "celebrate diversity" it was a bit disappointing that 22 out of the 26 songs were in English. Congrats to Belarus, Hungary, and Italy.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I wanted to slap him for being so god damned arrogant

Does this mean that I am an Old?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
turns out being sick doesn't make you a nice person (i should know) but yeah what an rear end

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

KoldPT posted:

A win for austerity

portugal will need some to compensate for hosting next year

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
We austered so hard that we didn't even send salvador to kiev until the day before

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Benfica winning the championship automatically grows our gdp at least 1% ,but we're gonna spend it all hosting the Eurovision next year.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
An historical day for Portugal.

Fado, Football and Fatima. And some people still question if there are miracles!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/N_Henin/status/863728535264952320

Manuel Valls update: calling Hollande and Macron big meanies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Kassad posted:

https://twitter.com/N_Henin/status/863728535264952320

Manuel Valls update: calling Hollande and Macron big meanies