Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Unkempt posted:

Oh god, I've got to give up this 'faith in humanity' nonsense. Lets me down every time.

I'm in the same boat, no matter how pessimistic I think I am I still get shocked when faced with the worst humanity has to offer

edit: dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

Where did this followup come from? Google doesn't seem to know.

edit: oh wait it's from that GBS thread, almost certainly bollocks

It comes from fakesville, and I got owned, it would seem. Speaking of which, remember Gary Bauer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmXW2GsAM6M

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

It's not bullshit, it's from a follow-up statement by the airhead in this PBS Frontline clip:

edit: vvv I'm the red spanish clansman vvv

whoa, I took that picture years ago. Didn't know it got out in the wild. At least I don't have to feel too bad because it’s very anonymous WRT the kid.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/863408403900747777

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

after detroit was taken over by an emergency manager, they approved construction of a $142 million, 3.3 mile light rail track at the same time they were cutting pension benefits, closing schools, and generally inflicting severe austerity on detroit.

the "q-line" opened yesterday and white people love it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Gio posted:

after detroit was taken over by an emergency manager, they approved construction of a $142 million, 3.3 mile light rail track at the same time they were cutting pension benefits, closing schools, and generally inflicting severe austerity on detroit.

the "q-line" opened yesterday and white people love it.

On the other hand (DANGER, NEOLIBERALISM AHEAD), infrastructure upgrades have a fantastic return on investment. I really don't know anything about the new line -- does it bring in any investment into Detroit that could help curb the austerity measures, or go through underserved neighborhoods and aid work transport, or anything else? Or does it basically not do anything that a cheaper bus line couldn't? I mean, other than get white suburbanites on, since they might literally die if they had to ride a city bus through poor neighborhoods.

For example, pictured below is the top end of the trolley tracks from Philadelphia's route 23 trolley. When a 3,000 foot section of Germantown Avenue required construction in 2008, it cost $18 million -- bear in mind that's about the cost of two miles of a new urban four-lane highway. A chunk of that cost was resurfacing with cobblestone, installing trolley tracks, and fixing all of the old trolley-car power and caternary wiring. The trolley has not run at all since 2003, nor regularly since 1996, and that was weekend-traffic only for the last four years. The Route 23 bus carries that traffic now. In a city with failing schools, People With Clout overspent millions and millions of dollars so a little over a half mile of street would look pretty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not at all familiar with detroit's geography but I'm having a hard time seeing how 3.3mi of light rail will do anything for anyone, if it were in my town it'd basically just enough distance to make a good rich man's tour of cafes and antique stores in the central city.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

it goes through the few increasingly gentrified parts of detroit, where else?

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 14, 2017

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I'm not at all familiar with detroit's geography but I'm having a hard time seeing how 3.3mi of light rail will do anything for anyone, if it were in my town it'd basically just enough distance to make a good rich man's tour of cafes and antique stores in the central city.

well it sure as poo poo isn't going to help the vast majority of city residents, but if you dont give a poo poo about that then it may turn out to not be an awful investment. its success hinges on two promises: that it will help the booming development downtown spread, and that its the beginning of a larger regional transit system (not gonna happen). right now its basically a really expensive ferry for drunk suburbanites to make it from the downtown district to midtown, previously separated by a major freeway, without having to hop in their car.

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 14, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gio posted:

well it sure as poo poo isn't going to help the vast majority of city residents, but if you dont give a poo poo about that then it may turn out to not be an awful investment. its success hinges on two promises: that it will help the booming development downtown spread, and that its the beginning of a larger regional transit system (not gonna happen). right now its basically a ferry for drunk suburbanites to make it from the downtown district to midtown, previously separated by a major freeway, without having to hop in their car.

This. The entire point of these projects is to pull in tax dollars from the suburbs.

e; whoops, this is the picture thread

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 14, 2017

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the entire point is to gentrify the area, which is better than decades of decay and blight, but it also highlights how the poor residents of detroit are almost completely left out of the equation to "rebuild detroit."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

tetrapyloctomy posted:

On the other hand (DANGER, NEOLIBERALISM AHEAD), infrastructure upgrades have a fantastic return on investment. I really don't know anything about the new line -- does it bring in any investment into Detroit that could help curb the austerity measures, or go through underserved neighborhoods and aid work transport, or anything else? Or does it basically not do anything that a cheaper bus line couldn't? I mean, other than get white suburbanites on, since they might literally die if they had to ride a city bus through poor neighborhoods.

being totally honest - it's super hard to tell if new transit infrastructure actually attracts new development, or if it just collects new development which was going to happen somewhere into happening in a certain place. like new transit is absolutely a part of an essential urban regrowth program but, if the question is if new transit is itself enough to spark new development without any context of growth or any sort of organized value capture scheme, well...

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i think its a little more than a people mover 2.0. the people mover connects a smaller area that was already walkable to begin with, or at least a hell of a lot faster to walk than bother yourself with the people mover. qline at least connects two areas that are not really within walking distance of one another.

but again, its a ferry for drunk suburbanites and midtown hipsters.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
edit: gently caress wrong thread

a helpful bear fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 14, 2017

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Go back to full trolley service. Turns out Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a documentary about the big 3 purchasing and dismantling light rail in place of buses and highways.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Because the Gadsden flag wasn't sad enough already.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Re: Detroit "QLine", the power line died for about an hour in the first 24 hrs of operation. It has batteries, but they didn't help. "Investment".

E: attaching on edit doesnt work on awful app :(

Hope this does:

gbut fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 14, 2017

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dance McPants posted:

Go back to full trolley service. Turns out Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a documentary about the big 3 purchasing and dismantling light rail in place of buses and highways.

I read a really spergy explanation for how this is not exactly the case and cars were inevitable and it sort of made sense but I really prefer this narrative and would prefer that people continue to think of it this way.

Sounds disingenuous and neo-something but it's partly true and well, American Car Culture is toxic in the extreme so if a funny movie with Bob Hoskins, Kathleen Turner and a cartoon rabbit can poke holes in that hoo loving ra

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Investing in infrastructure? loving white people!!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
maybe a touch :nws: for cartoon boobs

https://twitter.com/gokunaruto67/status/863582198758166528

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/ibradiagne31/status/863734385895493632

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

https://twitter.com/BizballMaury/status/863472051809538048

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

They forgot to put the caveat that it can't be steve bannon punching himself for free whiskey for life

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/brendohare/status/465529724861956096

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JawKnee posted:

They forgot to put the caveat that it can't be steve bannon punching himself for free whiskey for life

If he wants to punch himself in the face then drink himself to death they might be okay with bankrolling that.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

If he wants to punch himself in the face then drink himself to death they might be okay with bankrolling that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bip Roberts posted:

If you take off the _d from the end of the file name after you upload, you'll get the full sized image.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

duz posted:

If you take off the _d from the end of the file name after you upload, you'll get the full sized image.

I don't get it.

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/863758077945946112

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vOv posted:

I don't get it.

Pictured: the president of France and his rapist.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rabihalameddine/status/863560978142707712

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Pictured: the president of France and his rapist.

Technically not rape, the age of consent is 15 in France.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/807321079609839616

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/Phonycian/status/863924681585197056

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
They do remember that EFG was named as such for a reason and his mask is also after the ultimate failure that was the Gunpowder Plot...

Are they truly still using him as an emblem?

Edit: oh hell I didn't realize I was in this thread. Should post a pic.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 15, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Spiffster posted:

They do remember that EFG was named as such for a reason and his mask is also after the ultimate failure that was the Gunpowder Plot...

Are they truly still using him as an emblem?

The real "ultimate failure" here is not including a picture!

https://twitter.com/TheWikiHowGuy/status/863886331298054144

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/gneumann_wkow/status/863508870597152769

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

The real "ultimate failure" here is not including a picture!

https://twitter.com/TheWikiHowGuy/status/863886331298054144

Incredibly edgy and subversive street artist Sabo has zeroed in on Maxine Waters' beef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

Incredibly edgy and subversive street artist Sabo has zeroed in on Maxine Waters' beef:

Somehow I don't think calling someone a race traitor in Inglewood is going to work out the way you hoped

• Locked thread