Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The anime definitely made sussing out reiner as the armored titan easier, I know a few people who saw his hair and build and were like "is that reiner?" right off the bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I just caught up and I liked this season a lot. The pacing has been better than season 1 and I enjoyed seeing the more minor characters doing stuff. Also I guess they were right to isolate the 104th corps huh, although I'm not sure I see the point in disarming someone who can transform into a basically indestructible 50 foot monster.

The twist in the last episode was super out of left-field but thinking about it I like how it changes the meaning of some previous scenes. Like presumably Reiner's flashback to Ymir attacking him was her betraying his group that she was once a part of. And Reiner presumably could read the runes off the can and was suddenly realizing who Ymir was.

My (anime only) guess would be that Eren was originally part of that group too, but his "father" somehow captured and brainwashed him so he could raise him as a child. That way he could end up using his powers for the benefit of humanity. The other titans joined the corps to try and get him back on their side.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I just caught up and I liked this season a lot. The pacing has been better than season 1 and I enjoyed seeing the more minor characters doing stuff. Also I guess they were right to isolate the 104th corps huh, although I'm not sure I see the point in disarming someone who can transform into a basically indestructible 50 foot monster.

They'd cause a lot more trouble within a city and it's much harder for them to go anywhere without their gear. The scouts would be able to take them down before they caused too much damage, or at least that's the idea.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The anime definitely made sussing out reiner as the armored titan easier, I know a few people who saw his hair and build and were like "is that reiner?" right off the bat

Which makes Bertholdt easier by extension. I don't think that twist ever really surprised me though since from the start they all seemed like outsiders.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Dana White is now trying to book an ultra-heavyweight division for the UFC

Catalina
May 20, 2008

It makes me really happy that more and more people are hearing that there's a season 2 now, and coming back to watch. :3: The advertising was so abysmal; I've even seen people who thought it was an April Fool's joke!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

MMMMA

(massive monster mixed martial arts)

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

That episode was incredible, loved every minute of it.

Mikasa making her attack run on Reiner's tendons and Eren revealing his secret BJJ black belt was so cool.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mikasa won that fight and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Can you really say that Mikasa won when Reiner was the one around whom Eren wrapped his legs?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

MMA titans rules. Also the last shot before the "to be continued" was legitimately terrifying.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I just love that Eren's job as a titan is to get beat the gently caress up and only pull out a win if he gets the help and advise of his allies.

His ability saves the day mainly through non-combat applications or plain old using the poor guy as bait. Should've called him the Support Titan.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Sylphid posted:

as Eren's flashback to the Levi Squad
Which was, incidentally the coolest flashback ever created

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yuki Kaiji hella sold Eren's rage this episode. I'm actually surprised how well they nailed the emotion of this part of the story (that is, total cathartic anger being applied to a shitlord).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wish we got more titan cqc than that, but I liked what I saw.

The moment Armin suggested getting closer to the wall, I knew it would be a bad idea because the colossal titan is right loving there, ready to fall on top of them and whaddayaknow.

Also, Hange getting a girl boner for titan Eren made me laugh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This show is so intense. I love how angry Eren was.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

I really love that moment, Hange is so happy that a titan finally responded when she talked to it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Uh, sorry guys. I didn't realise you were having a moment over here...

my bad

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Freakazoid_ posted:

I wish we got more titan cqc than that, but I liked what I saw.

The moment Armin suggested getting closer to the wall, I knew it would be a bad idea because the colossal titan is right loving there, ready to fall on top of them and whaddayaknow.

It was a perfectly reasonable plan, it's just that no one expected Reiner dragging Eren and his own half delimbed body right underneath Bertholdt's 100 foot titan body slam attack. Reiner has some crazy good spatial awareness (actually so does anyone who uses 3DMG).

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Sylphid posted:

One thing I think S2 definitely has over S1 is because this season has fewer episodes, there's a lot less wasted space, I think. There's nothing quite so indulgent as Eren's flashback to the Levi Squad while he was running away from the Female Titan. The closest thing in S2, the Christa / Ymir flashback, only lasted half the episode. I'd be hard-pressed to say which episodes I'd remove from S1 or cut down, but there was fat that could have been trimmed. Seems like it's easier for Production I.G. to work with a shorter season.

I'm still mildly annoyed at the honestly unavoidable change to the end of S1/beginning of S2. They made it so nobody noticed the titan in the wall till a few hours later or something. In the manga they beat Annie and she's just crystalized herself, and they yell up to Miakasa "Hey good work up there! You can come down now!"

But Mikasa's still suspended to the wall and just kind of :stare: and staring right the titan's eye.
It helps sell the seriousness, that even Mikasa is completely loving terrified at this situation which is weird as gently caress and makes no sense but is undoubtably very dire and ominous.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 14, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm still mildly annoyed at the honestly unavoidable change to the end of S1/beginning of S2.
The other obnoxious S1 change was Eren

Comic has him getting a grip and finally coordinating with his teammates (they only catch Annie because he pitches Mikasa at her)
Show turns him into unstoppable rage monster and then adds Levi for no reason

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eh, I found it cathartic for Eren to be able to display his rage in such a tangible way against Annie, and it makes this fight with Reiner, where he gets a grip and manages to coordinate with his allies despite being in the middle of heated combat, a much more impactful development.

Adding Levi was purely gratuitous though, and it'd have been nice to end with the wall titan reveal as someone else said.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I want to know who won the fight between Mikasa and Annie.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

All the guys present.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Mikasa is being too hard on herself for not finishing the job. The manga page is brutal!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/42/28

I also started rereading the manga and this is probably my favorite panel.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/13/2

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really love the creepy ending for this season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
shinsei kamattechan has done some pretty cool poo poo in the past though i feel this one takes the cake

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That ending freaks me out more than anything in the actual show.

That titan with its cheeks bulging...... just..... eeeugh!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Last ep owned and my entire body tensed up when Eren was trying to rip Reiner's head off because holy lol :stare:

I read to the end of Vol 12 and y'all weren't kidding that there's a reaaaaaal dang obvious point where this season ends but I'm still stoked to watch the rest of S2. Non-spoiler spoilers but it's so chaotic I had trouble following the action and I think it's gonna be even better in motion.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How far ahead is the manga? I just started watching the anime not long ago and I love it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

How far ahead is the manga? I just started watching the anime not long ago and I love it.

The manga is currently on chapter 93, while the anime just finished chapter 44. So pretty far ahead.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

S2 ends on Ch. 50 by the way so there's pretty much 2-3 more seasons of material in the manga atm.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

About how long is the manga projected to last?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Who knows. Recent developments mean it's pretty much a crapshoot trying to predict that

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Attack on, Titan!

the Attack-On Titan

Attack On! Black Titan

Wait a second...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It had a poignant, somber finale*, and then it kept going.

There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on.

*There's still a bunch of mysteries and questions and stuff so it couldn't actually have ended.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raxivace posted:

Until just after everyone reading it stops caring

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Echoing nobody knows but adding that there needs to be at least 2 or 3 more arcs in order to satisfactorily wrap up the series, so around 3 or 4 more years of chapters.

Izayama could still pull the rug under our feet, but at this point the story is far along enough that the endgame can be deduced in the context of the series themes and plot elements, so it's just a matter of how and how long it takes to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it was a few episodes ago, but when ymir first transformed and fought with the other titans, the fight animation basically blew me out of my seat. show is very good.

• Locked thread