Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erg posted:

Yeah it's like the best example of the switch to being a jump battle manga

Excuse you. It became a lovely romance manga rather than a lovely battle manga at one point.

I miss it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pierson posted:

What else has successfully changed gears like that (in either direction) besides Medaka Box? Apparently Ken Akamatsu always wanted Negi to be a battle manga but was forced to start as pervy school hijinks and he switched it gradually enough either his editors didn't notice until it was too late or he brought them around to his side. Not that the pervy school hijinks ever ended they just became a backdrop and running gag to a space-magic adventure.

it's not like negima was failing before it started turning into a battle manga. akamatsu can always find success by indulging his passion for drawing lots and lots of naked children.

as for medaka box, it sucked balls at first and then when it turned into a more or less conventional battle manga it still sucked balls. it only became good once it went nuts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How nuts did Medaka Box get

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There was an arc where the antagonists all had powers that operated on Japanese word play, rendering the entire thing completely untranslatable.

And that was before the really weird arcs.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 13, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was it like that originally or did someone actually translate all of those skills?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Don't forget this character once had the evil plot of "end the series before the anime debuts".

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Until Death Do We Part: Started out decent then went nuts on the battle manga aspect. Also, it's creepy wrt to the age gap b/t the MC and the little girl.

The manga-ka can draw some awesome vehicles and motorcycles though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked it at first, then immediately cooled on it when i read a note from the author stating very clearly that it was supposed to be a romance between the little girl and the adult male lead.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was it like that originally or did someone actually translate all of those skills?

Some poor bastard translated them

It was 100 per page from what I remember

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The translator must really have loved this manga!

Also the pain of the typesetter too. :gonk:

Takagi-san ch 53 and Ch 54

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How nuts did Medaka Box get

The male lead had the chance to get any super power he could imagine, and his choice was "Make things work like real life and not manga". He of course was completely successful in his endeavor because of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I largely did not actually enjoy Medaka Box. However, "defeat the super powered heroine by changing the genre into a love comedy so she instead is defeated by falling in love with the MC" was one of the greatest things I feel I've witnessed in a manga.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, stop making me want to read that dumpster fire

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I kind of tuned out when they had the arc about the people with the pun-based powers, since it seems like I'd need to understand Japanese to really appreciate that part. I liked the art in Medaka box, for what it's worth!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mulva posted:

The male lead had the chance to get any super power he could imagine, and his choice was "Make things work like real life and not manga". He of course was completely successful in his endeavor because of it.

Nate RFB posted:

I largely did not actually enjoy Medaka Box. However, "defeat the super powered heroine by changing the genre into a love comedy so she instead is defeated by falling in love with the MC" was one of the greatest things I feel I've witnessed in a manga.

All of this sounds awesome.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

She was always in love with him from the start.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also that one villain/supporting character who had the most OP powers imaginable (one of which was literally just able to erase/recreate anything he could imagine, both corporeal things and concepts) but was cursed to always lose which was fine because he loved losing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It even had a Sasuke.

Nate RFB posted:

Also that one villain/supporting character who had the most OP powers imaginable (one of which was literally just able to erase/recreate anything he could imagine, both corporeal things and concepts) but was cursed to always lose which was fine because he loved losing.

Kumogawa Misogi. Who is easily the best charactwe in the series

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Reading NisioIsin's inane ramblings just drives me to distraction.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm 15 chapters into The Promised Neverland and yo holy poo poo this owns

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm 15 chapters into The Promised Neverland and yo holy poo poo this owns

Welcome, friend! At fifteen chapters in you haven't seen even half of the really good poo poo yet :)

(The Promised Neverland does in fact own, yes.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there was a lady who saw the smoke signal. they aren't gonna start a story about two best buds and then kill the one who drives the plot 10 chapters in.

It's moving way too fast imo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well yeah stone age is just a bunch of mashing end turn and moving your 2-3 units around.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading Tenjou Tenge, and I feel like it's the only shounen battle manga I've read that would have benefited from just having a simple tournament-based plot. It tried to have a unique, unusual plot and it did not work well at all. Things got really weird really fast after the main character's abduction, and there was this really confusing and convoluted historical flashback. I'm near the end and I still don't really understand the motives of the main villain or Mitsuomi. All I wanted was to see the characters have cool fights with one another, but in the end most of the characters didn't even get to have interesting fights. I was particularly disappointed by what happened with Bob; there were all these comments about how he was a True Warrior and had some special talent, but he does literally nothing after his fight with Madoka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tenjou tenge has very nice art and very bad writing. that's oh great's specialty.

though, it does make me lol that since it got an anime too early, they had to dedicate over half of the episodes to the dumb extended flashback that ended up being mostly irrelevant. it was a very faithful adaptation of the manga, to the anime's detriment.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't know if anyone else reads it but Kingdom of Gems has been throwing out some serious plot in the last few chapters and it's still really good, albeit definitely not for everybody.

If you liked some of the general themes of Nier Automata (human creations dealing with themselves and their goals in a world where humanity is long gone), give it a shot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pierson posted:

I don't know if anyone else reads it but Kingdom of Gems has been throwing out some serious plot in the last few chapters and it's still really good, albeit definitely not for everybody.

If you liked some of the general themes of Nier Automata (human creations dealing with themselves and their goals in a world where humanity is long gone), give it a shot.

It's getting an anime too!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's hard to tell from just a trailer but it looks great.

Also I didn't notice until someone in the comments pointed it out but (latest chapter minor spoiler) the moon buildings are made of Bismuth and that's such a nice touch.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 16, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dr. stone: I get it now. we've been assuming that aside from some marks on their faces, every formerly petrified person came out of it unchanged. after all, none of them have been injured or attempted to do anything beyond human capabilities.
i'm not sure of the specifics, but senku ain't dead, and tsukasa may not be either.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dr. stone: I get it now. we've been assuming that aside from some marks on their faces, every formerly petrified person came out of it unchanged. after all, none of them have been injured or attempted to do anything beyond human capabilities.
i'm not sure of the specifics, but senku ain't dead, and tsukasa may not be either.

tsukasa either held back, or Senkuu is alive but Hawking'd.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

Much love to everyone who kept recommending this over the years. I think the premise/style always turned me off, but now that I've forced itself through it's pretty drat good. I really liked the spirit/flesh/bone stuff and just all the dead earth backstory that trickles out.
drat hard to keep track of the characters sometimes though, it's a shame it can't be colored, that'd help telling some of them apart hair-wise at least.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
lmao, Robot x Laserbeam is Prince of Tennis only with golf instead of tennis. Special moves and all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mikl posted:

lmao, Robot x Laserbeam is Prince of Tennis only with golf instead of tennis. Special moves and all.

Eh. Kuroko No Basket the Author's previous work had that stuff too.

Also it's just a fancy name for a curved shot. It's no where near as insane and crazy as PoT is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, it did immediately introduce a roving gang of sports hooligans. that was a defining feature of pot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

i dunno, it did immediately introduce a roving gang of sports hooligans. that was a defining feature of pot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlv_uoLnFI

That's kinda a staple of every sports manga

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
One reason I can't get into sports manga like the Laser Robot one is that the sports themselves are being described by an observer with an outside understanding of the sport. Like they always try to make the entire world appear to revolve around the sport, no matter how minor, and it comes off as strangely phony. It's not even the lack of realism in the sport, it's more the lack of realism in the characters' thoughts regarding the sport that get to me.

One of the few mangas that didn't do that was Baby Steps - that really nailed the feeling of being in a competitive sport and it's on point enough that I wonder if the author didn't have personal experience with it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
h2 is the best sports manga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hopeford posted:

One reason I can't get into sports manga like the Laser Robot one is that the sports themselves are being described by an observer with an outside understanding of the sport. Like they always try to make the entire world appear to revolve around the sport, no matter how minor, and it comes off as strangely phony. It's not even the lack of realism in the sport, it's more the lack of realism in the characters' thoughts regarding the sport that get to me.

One of the few mangas that didn't do that was Baby Steps - that really nailed the feeling of being in a competitive sport and it's on point enough that I wonder if the author didn't have personal experience with it.

well the sport matters to the characters so obviously they're gonna be way into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Manatee Cannon posted:

well the sport matters to the characters so obviously they're gonna be way into it

But they aren't often show to be into it in...realistic ways, is what I'm trying to say? Finding it hard to put into words. It doesn't seem like real passion for the sport, more like "Of course I like this sport, the world revolves around it."