Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We paid about $3K for it and there's definitely money to be made in there. According to the inventory there's long runs of Amazing Spider-man and full sets of Secret Wars in there. I can't wait to dive into this mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

We paid about $3K for it and there's definitely money to be made in there. According to the inventory there's long runs of Amazing Spider-man and full sets of Secret Wars in there. I can't wait to dive into this mess.

That makes me sore because it reminds me of a few years ago my sister asked if she could put some of my comic books up for sale at her garage sale to try and drive people to the sale. I'm a comic hoarder and don't like selling anything, but I gave her two boxes of "Eh, if I can sell them for a dollar each it won't be a big loss". Told her a dollar each, no deals.

Call her at the end of the day "Oh some guy offered me $30 for both boxes, I took him up on it because I figured you'd rather get rid of all of them!"

I was angry...not books I'd REALLY miss and nothing valuable, but $30???? Grrr.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Well, This happened.

Just a heads up, be careful out there Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Indiana law prevents me from chasing thieves out of he store so that's one thing that probably won't happen to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So here's what will be occupying my time for the next month

55 long boxes. More at the owner's house.

I have dug through TWO boxes. Here's my first finds.

And as a bonus, a guy brought these in today and I bought them and already sold the Titans issue

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

So... how much for those Days of Future Past issues?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're sending them to get graded

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jesus, and Dark Phoenix too?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Jesus, and Dark Phoenix too?!

Yes sir. There's 17,000+ books back there to dig through. We're through two boxes and already found upwards of $1000 and he stack in 3 inches tall.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno, is it worth the money to get an old bill graded and sealed if it's in rough condition? I've got a bunch of the Dark Phoenix run, but they were sitting in a basement in grocery bags for years and years before I got ahold of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It all depends on the current condition. I'd take them to a shop, get them to evaluate them and go from there. Look at graded prices in various grades on Ebay (check Sold Listings) and see what they sell for.

Also the boss has authorized me to offer the books here if you guys are interested. I will start pricing stuff out with firm prices tomorrow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You have a recommendation for grading? The shop I go to is mostly new books so they don't have a partnership with anyone. I have a few books I'm considering just so I can display them nicely. I just need to decide if I want to grade all 5 versions of X-Force #1 polybagged with foil cards, or just the Cable one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CGC is still the premiere service. You can have the same book graded 9.8 by CGC and CBCS and the CGC will be worth more to buyers. You'll probably have to find a shop that handles as sending single books is a huge hassle. We're not even doing it ourselves, we have a customer who gets all his Silver Age graded and he's handling it for us for a 5% fee.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hmmm looks like there's a place near me that does it, according to the CGC page. I might look into that. Youngblood #1 proudly displayed in my living room coming up!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm trying to clear some space so I am going to try to sell some comics off at the convention I work at. Friday night we have a sort of flea market, as its a anime convention its called the Nominoichi, and I've had great success selling my crap off every year. One year I made enough to buy a new TV. Anyways, I am thinking of the bulk doing $1 each or 6 for 5$, but I know i have some stuff that is possibly worth up to 40bux like New 52 Batman #1, or the Lenticular Harley Quinn cover. Last year I sold some Xbox 360 games that were worth a lot more than I was selling them, and felt kind of dumb because I know the guy who bought them knew I had massively undercosted them. I sold Rockband 3 and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 for 5bux each.

Anyways, my question is what site is best to use to find out the value of a comic? I looked at what th CGC grading entails, and I'd guess most of mine are in the 8s as they are read once, and then put in bags and then into a box, though a few were bought purely because I felt they'd become valuable, the Forever Evil covers for example.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I'm trying to clear some space so I am going to try to sell some comics off at the convention I work at. Friday night we have a sort of flea market, as its a anime convention its called the Nominoichi, and I've had great success selling my crap off every year. One year I made enough to buy a new TV. Anyways, I am thinking of the bulk doing $1 each or 6 for 5$, but I know i have some stuff that is possibly worth up to 40bux like New 52 Batman #1, or the Lenticular Harley Quinn cover. Last year I sold some Xbox 360 games that were worth a lot more than I was selling them, and felt kind of dumb because I know the guy who bought them knew I had massively undercosted them. I sold Rockband 3 and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 for 5bux each.

Anyways, my question is what site is best to use to find out the value of a comic? I looked at what th CGC grading entails, and I'd guess most of mine are in the 8s as they are read once, and then put in bags and then into a box, though a few were bought purely because I felt they'd become valuable, the Forever Evil covers for example.

You gotta be really hard on your comics on first read to get them down to 8s. I'm pretty ok with my comics and never had a recent comic (as in last 10 years) graded lower than a 9 and few lower than 9.6.

Best site to find the value of a comic is ebay I've found. Track what it sells for raw in nm condition (which is probably what you have), discount the outliers and find the range the majority sell for. That's how I've always judged.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've pull $3000 worth of stuff out of the first six boxes.

If you messaged me about the first books I took pictures tonight, will PM them later.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RevKrule posted:

You gotta be really hard on your comics on first read to get them down to 8s. I'm pretty ok with my comics and never had a recent comic (as in last 10 years) graded lower than a 9 and few lower than 9.6.

Best site to find the value of a comic is ebay I've found. Track what it sells for raw in nm condition (which is probably what you have), discount the outliers and find the range the majority sell for. That's how I've always judged.

Ebay is great, most of the stuff i'm pricing is about 5bux so I'm pricing it at a dollar, a few things have been a lot more than that, so I am pricing them about %60-%50 of their average value. It depends on how easy i think it would move. New 52 Dectective #1 and holographic Forever Evil harley quinn would probably move faster than JL #1. I found out i had the Tucci variant of the Thone of Atlantis issue.

Though I just found on Detective 871, Black Mirror is easily 60bux + on Ebay. I'm debating if i want to try to sell it at the con or see if my LCS wants it. Wtf 880 is listed at like 200bux. Wtf?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 19, 2017

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I know some comic shop employees post in here, so I'm curious, is there such a thing as a shop/service that will take requests for back issues? For example, if I'm looking for a specific issue or run, is there a way someone could track it down and send to me, and bill me for their costs in buying/shipping? I've mentioned this to my LCS and they've said they're willing to keep an eye out in case the issues come into their shop, but I live in a small town and that really isn't likely. And I don't want to bother getting scammed on eBay or wherever else.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dunbar posted:

I know some comic shop employees post in here, so I'm curious, is there such a thing as a shop/service that will take requests for back issues? For example, if I'm looking for a specific issue or run, is there a way someone could track it down and send to me, and bill me for their costs in buying/shipping? I've mentioned this to my LCS and they've said they're willing to keep an eye out in case the issues come into their shop, but I live in a small town and that really isn't likely. And I don't want to bother getting scammed on eBay or wherever else.

I haven't had any problems buying back issues on eBay. There's a store I use that will sell VF copies of stuff for $1.35 - $2 and if I buy a certain amount, I get free shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/MyComicShop?_rdc=1

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 26, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dunbar posted:

Rhyno would probably do it. I could possibly look into it at my shop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Rhyno would probably do it. I could possibly look into it at my shop.

Dunbar and I are PMing!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Not sure if this is the best place for This, but my LCS (who do weekly comic book market Twitter threads) went on a bit of a rant this evening about how Marvel's practices are royally screwing over retailers lately.

Starts here and goes on a bit.

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/871823949751103488

It is.a bit of a shame to be honest. I am one person who has recently basically dropped my entire pull there (although it's nothing to do with Marvel really). I went in last week and the owner was pretty surprised as a) I had no singles in my pull and b) All I did have was a DC tpb (im traditionally more of a Marvel reader out of the Big Two).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's cool going through this guy's timeline, but I've got to ask - is it normal for comic stores to celebrate selling out 100% of a comic within the first week? That seems like a mistake - if you sell out 100% you're almost certainly leaving money on the table and encouraging customers who didn't pre-order / missed going into the shop for a few days to shop elsewhere.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing he doesn't order to sell out, so that means sales are up and ordering more next time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You either sell out 100% of your stock, or are left with 300 copies of Green Lantern #22 for 20 years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't order to sell out, so that means sales are up and ordering more next time.

He sold out of 9 out of 26 comics. The week before was 5/28 which seems like a more reasonable number though still fairly high for week 1 sellouts.

It's cool that they order more of the next issue, but that doesn't change the fact that to buy this issue the potential customer needs to go elsewhere.

e: I understand that you're going to sell out of stuff. It just doesn't seem like something to celebrate, it seems like a problem with how you estimated your order quantity.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

They adjust their orders all the time. I'm sure Rhyno can explain also but they have to go by what they think will be popular. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. I think they said the latest Flash had something like 94% sell through, and they'd upped the orders a lot on it (obviously it was a big crossover with a lot of buzz). They've had to cut their Secret Empire orders though because it's selling less than Civil War II was by its final issue.

I suppose the goal is to get something close to 100% so that you have some copies on the shelf but not too many.

Another example is that they mentioned the Wonder Woman annual selling really well for them, and that yeah they probably did leave money on the table there by not ordering enough.

I don't think they're "celebrating" selling out of books btw. They're just highlighting what was popular and what wasn't.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have books that sell out but we do a shitload of math to figure out what to get on the stand week to week.

On the subject of Marvel loving retailers and artificially upping their sales numbers

Yes, you're reading that right. We ordered TEN copies of All New Guardians #2 and Marvel sent us FORTY-THREE extra copies. They count these as sold copies. They do this with a different book every week to a different, targeted number of Diamond accounts. So every time you see that Marvel has a higher market share than DC remember this example. And DC does not do this. Not ever. If they send out extra copies they usually do it weeks later in special shipments that do not get counted as initial orders.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And they're free? (minus carrying costs I guess)

Uhhhhhhh. Comics sure is a weird business.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

And they're free? (minus carrying costs I guess)

Uhhhhhhh. Comics sure is a weird business.

Yup. Free. We even get shipping credits on them. This is just one tiny view into the madness that is modern Marvel. It is absolutely vital that they have a greater reported market share than DC that they will spend money to ship free books that they then count as actually sold. Someone did the math and the extra expense they drop on this is insane.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Yup. Free. We even get shipping credits on them. This is just one tiny view into the madness that is modern Marvel. It is absolutely vital that they have a greater reported market share than DC that they will spend money to ship free books that they then count as actually sold. Someone did the math and the extra expense they drop on this is insane.

Luckily they are making GBS threads gold in the movie world so they can afford a bit of a cut in the print side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Luckily they are making GBS threads gold in the movie world so they can afford a bit of a cut in the print side.

It's just hilarious how petty they are that they'll poo poo money away just to keep ahead of DC.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's wild. I know retail has weird little niches but comics is weird as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

That's wild. I know retail has weird little niches but comics is weird as hell.

You have no idea my dude!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You'd think they'd just, I dunno, create better books than DC. They were doing it for years until DC got their poo poo together with Rebirth. I miss that Marvel.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, they're pretty much doing their own Rebirth in the fall.
Marvel Legacy is very blatant, but I hope it works. If there's an actual equilibrium with both sides selling healthy piles o' comics, it's only good.

edit: And if they're both successful and content enough, hows about another DC/Marv crossover? :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 6, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That's pretty much what my LCS twitter was saying, if both the Big Two are producing great comics (along with Image, Valiant and other publishers), it's best for everyone. Marvel's current practices (nothing to do with the quality of their comics) are pushing people away, though, and that's screwing over retailers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, they're pretty much doing their own Rebirth in the fall.
Marvel Legacy is very blatant, but I hope it works. If there's an actual equilibrium with both sides selling healthy piles o' comics, it's only good.

edit: And if they're both successful and content enough, hows about another DC/Marv crossover? :)

I was just reading the 90s Marvel Vs DC and was thinking it would be great to do this again, especially since what heroes are popular and being promoted are fairly different than they were back then.

Deadpool could be the catalyst and there could be a Harley Quinn and Deadpool mini. Like that wouldn't sell a shitton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC is open to future crossovers. Marvel is not since the Disney purchase.

• Locked thread