Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also look into Records of Eminence to get sparks (a currency) which you can spend to buy gear that's shitloads better than anything you would have had before you quit, magian weapons included. It's definitely on the low end as far as current stuff but there's nothing better for getting your foot in the door, so you don't get completely catch-22'd out of getting on the way to actual good gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Sprite141 posted:

Have you gotten your trusts yet? Do the Rhapsodies storyline to give your 2 more allowable trusts. It's a storyline that's meant to be ok doing side by side with the other stories.

Edit: also make sure to grab the shantotto II trust in the login bonuses this month.

How do I claim Shanotto 2?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

hagie posted:

How do I claim Shanotto 2?
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/login/login47.html

Also, here's the gear progression path for people coming back/new people.

-1->98, who gives a poo poo beyond keeping a fairly current weapon (work your way through RoV far enough for 1 more extra trust ASAP; starting RoE quests give you a good roster of trusts to get trucking with + Apururu unity trust). Let your trusts do a lot of the heavy lifting*

*Make sure to recast your trusts every once in awhile. I do not believe they level up when you do. Make sure to grab the appropriate 117 sparks armor, accessories and weapon for your job with sparks along the way. Split rest of sparks into sellable gear for money and skillup books so you're not a terrible shitbad for Maat**.

**Chances are you're going to be a really bad shitbird if this is your first job. For this reason, I actually suggest people take up WHM as their first job. You can beat the Maat fight by just kiting him and popping potions and WHM is a very good job to get an early start into endgame content.

"Look at me, I just hit level 99"
Throw on your 117 gear and marvel at your new power, although you're still really awful. Take this moment to catch up on your lagging skills and work on more RoV missions.

Gear progression at 99:
Sparks gear->NQ Ambuscade gear->HQ Ambuscade gear/Delve/Escha Zi'Tah-Ru'Ann gear->Reisenjima/Omen/reforged AF/SinisterReign/Vagary

Notes:
-Alluvion skirmish used to be the go to stop for your endgame set up, but outside of a few circumstances, I'd suggest completely skipping this stage. A lot of the gear is outclassed for a lot of jobs anymore and why sink gil into irrelevant gear? If you're a BST or SCH, maybe reconsider down the road.
-Ambuscade is the content you'll want to likely jump right into. The NQ sets are good starter sets for a lot of people, the capes are top of the line for every job and you can make good money. This is also an event that encourages you to party up, so load up with some other lovely new 99 people and spam away.
-Once you get a strong 119 armor set and a decent 119 weapon, power through your missions and make your way into the RoV zones. These zones will provide you the gear you need to get deep into endgame.
-Don't feel too bad if you decide to skip Sinister Reign. The battle system is stupid as poo poo, hardly anyone does it any longer and random augments tied on pure luck is the worst thing. I'd suggest doing it when you can till you at least get August trust (excellent tank trust), and after that you can just skip this event unless you're looking for perfect gearsets (ex: perfect aug'd sam tights).
-Vagary is also completely skipable too, unless your job is very dependent on reforged empyrean ilvl119 gear.
-A lot of the Delve gear is old and not needed anymore, but I'd still suggest going through it for some accessories (necklace, earrings, TH belt).

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 14, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm running around with multiple 99 jobs so I'm not terribly worried about leveling.

Mnk
Blu
Smn
Sam
Nin
Bst
Pup
Pld
Drk (92)
Drg (80 something)
War (95)

Getting Maat's cap and all would be nostalgic but eh. I'm a returning player on his original character. I get a kick running around in a wyvern helm and Kirin osode for no reason

hagie fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 14, 2017

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
You can actually do Maat with trusts now so it's a total joke.

Even before that they nerfed him pretty badly where you could have ok armor and an updated weapon for most jobs. I did it as a DRG in like 2013 at level 73 with just whatever walking in and just penta-thrusted him real hard.

Lant fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 15, 2017

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

LiquidFriend posted:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/login/login47.html

Also, here's the gear progression path for people coming back/new people.

-1->98, who gives a poo poo beyond keeping a fairly current weapon (work your way through RoV far enough for 1 more extra trust ASAP; starting RoE quests give you a good roster of trusts to get trucking with + Apururu unity trust). Let your trusts do a lot of the heavy lifting*

*Make sure to recast your trusts every once in awhile. I do not believe they level up when you do. Make sure to grab the appropriate 117 sparks armor, accessories and weapon for your job with sparks along the way. Split rest of sparks into sellable gear for money and skillup books so you're not a terrible shitbad for Maat**.

**Chances are you're going to be a really bad shitbird if this is your first job. For this reason, I actually suggest people take up WHM as their first job. You can beat the Maat fight by just kiting him and popping potions and WHM is a very good job to get an early start into endgame content.

"Look at me, I just hit level 99"
Throw on your 117 gear and marvel at your new power, although you're still really awful. Take this moment to catch up on your lagging skills and work on more RoV missions.

Gear progression at 99:
Sparks gear->NQ Ambuscade gear->HQ Ambuscade gear/Delve/Escha Zi'Tah-Ru'Ann gear->Reisenjima/Omen/reforged AF/SinisterReign/Vagary

Notes:
-Alluvion skirmish used to be the go to stop for your endgame set up, but outside of a few circumstances, I'd suggest completely skipping this stage. A lot of the gear is outclassed for a lot of jobs anymore and why sink gil into irrelevant gear? If you're a BST or SCH, maybe reconsider down the road.
-Ambuscade is the content you'll want to likely jump right into. The NQ sets are good starter sets for a lot of people, the capes are top of the line for every job and you can make good money. This is also an event that encourages you to party up, so load up with some other lovely new 99 people and spam away.
-Once you get a strong 119 armor set and a decent 119 weapon, power through your missions and make your way into the RoV zones. These zones will provide you the gear you need to get deep into endgame.
-Don't feel too bad if you decide to skip Sinister Reign. The battle system is stupid as poo poo, hardly anyone does it any longer and random augments tied on pure luck is the worst thing. I'd suggest doing it when you can till you at least get August trust (excellent tank trust), and after that you can just skip this event unless you're looking for perfect gearsets (ex: perfect aug'd sam tights).
-Vagary is also completely skipable too, unless your job is very dependent on reforged empyrean ilvl119 gear.
-A lot of the Delve gear is old and not needed anymore, but I'd still suggest going through it for some accessories (necklace, earrings, TH belt).

Thanks for this. Last time I came back I got a leg up on Sparks gear, but I've been languishing at 117 trying to figure out where to go next.

I've spent the last week plugging through the SoA story, before I eventually got tired of the next game day waiting and decided to wrap up RoV. I got as far as the Cloud of Darkness fight, but I can't seem to solo that with my trusts, so that's a bummer.

Aside from that I've been soloing random EP mobs to get some merits and CP. My merit cap's at 41 right now, and I've finished some other categories like RDM Group 1/2. I also picked up a Septoptic from the Wanted dial, which seems like a neat weapon for my WHM.

Not sure what I'll do after I finish the SoA and RoV missions. I'd like to continue playing RDM, but scoping out the shouts in town I don't think I've ever seen people ask for one. Maybe I'll level GEO.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and completely torn on what way to go.

Do I finish some of my Magian weapons floating out there or start a new one?
Do I just abandon it entirely?
Do I do Seekers missions?

That's just the short list...

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

hagie posted:

I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and completely torn on what way to go.

Do I finish some of my Magian weapons floating out there or start a new one?
Do I just abandon it entirely?
Do I do Seekers missions?

That's just the short list...

Trial of magian weapons, unless they are the empyrean weapons themselves, are trash.

Do rov as much as you can. Bug goons (me) if you need something done there. Get 119 in every slot. Cap merits to 75.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Is there an active LS? In-game name the same as SA? You can PM me info if you want.

The economy is interesting as hell. 4,000 for a lizard egg?

Most everything goes by a predictable cost path

Those are the most regular costs I see on the AH

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

hagie posted:

Is there an active LS? In-game name the same as SA? You can PM me info if you want.

The economy is interesting as hell. 4,000 for a lizard egg?

Most everything goes by a predictable cost path

Those are the most regular costs I see on the AH

4k is nothing, which is why no one wastes their 7 ah slots with them. Which is why it costs 4k, no one wants to sell them.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's funny how they've managed to introduce so many QoL improvements and yet you can still only put 7 things for sale on the AH.

I feel like I remember hearing somewhere that the AH allowed you to list more items way back when the game was first released, but the hardware was too weak to handle the sheer number of transactions, so they ratcheted it down and just left it like that forever.

They should just jack up everyone's AH limits to crazy numbers.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Started playing again, picked up Shantotto II trust from the log-in Moogle, is there any other Trusts from the event worth :homebrew:ing login points for?

Also Trusts are amazing, went from 1 - 20 in about an hour while doing Bastok missions. I'll ask for a Linkshell in game tomorrow (On Asura Server).

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Any goons able to buy cashmere wool from mog gardens?

Reclum is now on Stage 2 of the crafting shield and is going to need a bunch of cashmere cloths when it comes time to synth 20 Sha'ir Manteels (after I get sub cloth to 60). :smithicide:

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

LiquidFriend posted:

Reclum is now on Stage 2 of the crafting shield and is going to need a bunch of cashmere cloths when it comes time to synth 20 Sha'ir Manteels (after I get sub cloth to 60). :smithicide:
Yeah, I can buy those.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I am having some trouble getting Dawn from CoP to roll over. I have Storms of Fate completed.

I got my Rajas ring AGES ago and have never discarded it. So to Tav Safehold I go to check the door, door "locked up tight."

I proceed to Lufaise Meadows to J-6 and get to the cliff...no cutscene plays. I do not see any of the key items it gives, and my quest book says Dawn under CoP missions

I was coasting through Rhapsodies quickly and is an e-brake I wasn't expecting...

edit: nevermind on a whim i decided to just zone into Delk Tower in Qufim and the cutscene happened. Found out I never did Apocalypse for that other earring though.

hagie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 16, 2017

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wrapped up Rhapsodies last night! Kind of an annoying, basic final fight that took a couple of tries - first with a BLU and GEO (me on WHM) and when we wiped near the end the GEO brought in a PUP friend to help finish the job.

Nice ending cutscene, and a beautiful song to cap off eleven years of this game.

Still gotta do the back half of Seekers, but that'll probably be easier.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Great...now I have to progress a good bit in Wings of the Goddess..

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

LiquidFriend posted:

Yeah sorry about that, I never really had a goal in mind with crafting other than "Get Goldsmithing to 110" because I kind of ran out of things to do in the game and it was either that or actually go serious on a Burtgang. Getting Smithing and Alchemy up were kind of an afterthought, and I have no idea how the crafting world in that game revolves so I'd have never guessed to level clothcraft.

What does the synth time on those newest rank of shield actually mean, does a synth just instantly start and finish with it so you don't have to wait the 5 seconds or whatever?

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 17, 2017

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Kieyen posted:

Yeah, I can buy those.
Lets be besties!

Male of the Century posted:

Yeah sorry about that, I never really had a goal in mind with crafting other than "Get Goldsmithing to 110" because I kind of ran out of things to do in the game and it was either that or actually go serious on a Burtgang. Getting Smithing and Alchemy up were kind of an afterthought, and I have no idea how the crafting world in that game revolves so I'd have never guessed to level clothcraft.

What does the synth time on those newest rank of shield actually mean, does a synth just instantly start and finish with it so you don't have to wait the 5 seconds or whatever?
I never did get cloth up far on Beats before she was banned either and wouldn't really be bothering now if it weren't for the quest. I think I have to do leather also, for the next one.

I'm not sure what the synth time stuff does, but I'd guess it shaves like a second off your synth time, so nearly useless.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Even if it made it instant it wouldn't be worth the phase 3 headache unless they add a phase 4 that's +3 I suppose.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Evwntually the shield will be +3 skill. The main reaaon for doing it now is to get the KI to synth the new Su3 armor sets.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Oh, THAT'S where those come from. Huh yeah ok I guess that would be worth the headache then, those things look like they'll be pretty good for some jobs.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Now I'm stuck in Rhapsodies again because of WotG missions...

I'm on Cait Soth and I'm showing I have the 2 rewards, but can't progress. I talk to the NPCs and check the ???s and nada.

Turned in a bunch of sparks for a fully decked out BLU and BST. Didn't do SMN because there is no avatar perp cost down.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

hagie posted:

Now I'm stuck in Rhapsodies again because of WotG missions...

I'm on Cait Soth and I'm showing I have the 2 rewards, but can't progress. I talk to the NPCs and check the ???s and nada.

Which Rhapsodies mission? The WotG requirements are kinda messy.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Ganged up on

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

hagie posted:

Ganged up on

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ganged_Up_On

quote:

Zone into Southern San d'Oria (S), to meet with Lilisette. You can use a Home Point, Survival Guide, Retrace, or Instant Retrace.The earliest you can activate this cutscene is with the mission In the Name of the Father active, immediately after finishing Purple, The New Black.

So if you're on Cait Sith, you need to advance a little further into WotG to move forward in Rhapsodies.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

That's what I am saying.

I have the Golden Star, and the Sterling medal from Sandy (S) missions, but I cannot figure out how to get it to progress. I have talked to both quest NPCs and checked the ???s in both zones but nothing happens.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

hagie posted:

That's what I am saying.

I have the Golden Star, and the Sterling medal from Sandy (S) missions, but I cannot figure out how to get it to progress. I have talked to both quest NPCs and checked the ???s in both zones but nothing happens.

But you said you're on the Cait Sith mission, right? You won't get the Rhapsodies cutscene from zoning into Sandy (S) if you're on that mission.

Also I'm not sure what rewards you're referring to. Those sound like Campaign medals, which have no bearing on mission progress as far as I can recall.

e: Unless you're saying you can't progress in WotG? In which case, you have to do the next Sandy (S) missions to move forward there, which starts with Boy and the Beast.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm phone posting so it's tough to explain exactly.

From what I remember looking at the wiki, it shows WotG Cait Sith as a 2 part mission. Mission 1 is Boy and Beast, Mission 2 is a NM ??? Spawn I don't remember the name.

When I check with the quest giving NPCs and follow up NPCs nothing happens. If I start from step 1, and progress through nothing happens. If I go to the ???s, I get "nothing out of the ordinary here."

If I do the next quest after WotG Cait Sith, it doesn't start.

The ffxiclopedia wiki shows that the rewards are:
Mission 1: Sterling Star
Mission 2: Golden Star

I show those in my Temp Key Item inventory. There is 1 key item I do not have that is the Military Script, BUT that item is also sellable to a NPC. I do not know if there is a way to find out if I sold it.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bluegarter wiki posted:

Notes
Lilisette will not be available if you are currently undertaking one of the following Wings of the Goddess missions:
Cavernous Maws / Back to the Beginning / Cait Sith / The Queen of the Dance / While the Cat is Away / On Thin Ice / Proof of Valor / A Sanguinary Prelude / Dungeons and Dancers / Distorter of Time / The Will of the World / Adieu, Lilisette / By the Fading Light / Edge of Existence / Her Memories / Forget Me Not / Pillar of Hope / Glimmer of Life / Time Slips Away / When Wills Collide / Whispers of Dawn / Where It All Began* / A Token of Troth* / Lest We Forget*

If you start the mission Where It All Began by completing Maiden of the Dusk, you must finish the Wings of the Goddess storyline, Champion of the Dawn, and A Forbidden Reunion to continue.
If you are stuck without a Lightsworm, go to the Goblin Footprint in Batallia Downs (S) at F-9 and watch all of the Ganged Up On cutscenes , and then wait a game day. After that check the shimmering ??? next to any of the present day maws in Rolanberry Fields, Sauromugue Champaign, or Batallia Downs to get the option to raise your Lightsworm.

Basically the Rhapsodies storyline requires that any NPCs present in the cutscene are not currently incapacitated due to some other mission event. My guess is that you are on one of those missions

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I am

because I am on Cait Sith

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sterling/Golden Star? Those are Campaign medals. Where are you seeing these as quest rewards on the wiki?

Looks like you're somewhere on Boy and the Beast or Wrath of the Griffon. Check your Current/Completed quest logs for "Crystal War" to hopefully figure it out.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

hagie posted:

I'm phone posting so it's tough to explain exactly.

From what I remember looking at the wiki, it shows WotG Cait Sith as a 2 part mission. Mission 1 is Boy and Beast, Mission 2 is a NM ??? Spawn I don't remember the name.

When I check with the quest giving NPCs and follow up NPCs nothing happens. If I start from step 1, and progress through nothing happens. If I go to the ???s, I get "nothing out of the ordinary here."

If I do the next quest after WotG Cait Sith, it doesn't start.

The ffxiclopedia wiki shows that the rewards are:
Mission 1: Sterling Star
Mission 2: Golden Star

I show those in my Temp Key Item inventory. There is 1 key item I do not have that is the Military Script, BUT that item is also sellable to a NPC. I do not know if there is a way to find out if I sold it.

Best information I can offer is check your completed quests list (quests, not mission) for shadowreign areas and see if you have completed Wrath of the Griffon. If you haven't that's why you can't progress. If you have and you still can't progress it sounds like a bug, you may want to try doing the Bastok or Windurst questlines to advance. It doesn't matter which nation questline you advance you just have to advance one of them.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Are Assaults soloable? As in, can I enter them without a party? One of the goals I'd left by the wayside when I stopped playing regularly was getting Captain rank, and I'd like to knock that out sometime this week or next.

Alternatively - anyone on Asura wanna knock out some assaults over the weekend?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Sterling/Golden Star? Those are Campaign medals. Where are you seeing these as quest rewards on the wiki?

Looks like you're somewhere on Boy and the Beast or Wrath of the Griffon. Check your Current/Completed quest logs for "Crystal War" to hopefully figure it out.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Just making sure you did this part

- Zone into Southern San d'Oria (S) from East Ronfaure (S) for a cutscene.

I didn't see you mention that anywhere in your posts

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, I see the confusion:

quote:

Upon completion of certain quests, a player's rank will not be demoted past the designated medal listed. You must still earn that medal from campaign battles and evaluations.

Completing nation quests in the past prevents you from being demoted past whatever medal they list there for not participating in Campaign. It doesn't actually give you the medal; you still have to earn those from Campaign battles and evaluations.

Anyway, make sure you go through your quest logs when you get a chance.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm thinking I changed affiliation at some point. When I went to Bastok to get the Sigint the guy got lovely with me and said I want affiliated with them. This made me think my quests would be under Sandy.

Checking my logs I completed the previous missions under Bastok.

I guess changing affiliation that way doesn't also change it via story line.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Vitamean posted:

Are Assaults soloable? As in, can I enter them without a party? One of the goals I'd left by the wayside when I stopped playing regularly was getting Captain rank, and I'd like to knock that out sometime this week or next.

Alternatively - anyone on Asura wanna knock out some assaults over the weekend?

I've soloed all assaults, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

hagie posted:

I'm thinking I changed affiliation at some point. When I went to Bastok to get the Sigint the guy got lovely with me and said I want affiliated with them. This made me think my quests would be under Sandy.

Checking my logs I completed the previous missions under Bastok.

I guess changing affiliation that way doesn't also change it via story line.

Your affiliation doesn't matter, you can do all three country's questlines if you want, and you only need to advance one of them to proceed in WotG. Affiliation only matters for campaign related things.