Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Some of you guys seem to hate this game as much as i hate Evolve. Pretty messed up.

And as for my hot take; i like ME2, 3 and Andromeda. I do not like the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

QuasiQuack posted:

Some of you guys seem to hate this game as much as i hate Evolve. Pretty messed up.

And as for my hot take; i like ME2, 3 and Andromeda. I do not like the first one.

FWIW that's the order I would rank them in as well, but Andromeda and ME are pretty close

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

chiasaur11 posted:

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past...

Learning from the past implies willingness to change and/or let things go...

:)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I love how this particular stereotype was flipped on its head with what's his face Varric in DA2 and DAI

yeah da2 was the cast that more generally tried to stop treating its party members like stock tropes and more like actual characters though its predecessors did have the odd more-realized party member like Sten and HK

ShakeZula posted:

FWIW that's the order I would rank them in as well, but Andromeda and ME are pretty close

did you first play me1 pretty recently? i played kotor a few years back and it had aged enough by then that i really didn't like it even though i could see how it was good for 2003

vvvv e: yeah i've said some rough things about me:a but i was at least left optimistic for a sequel, assuming bioware could learn from this

hard counter fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 13, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's a shame the franchise is dead or on extended hiatus because of Andromeda, because this game has some really good qualities that could be improved on in a follow up. Pretty much everything that's not open world ranges from good to great. Even some of the open world stuff in the second half actually has some interesting consequences like the STG spy quest and the deal with the Kett lieutenant.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
YO YO YO ITS YOUR BOY MOOLA HERE!

I got a hot sick take that the haters dont wnat you to hear!!

Mass Effect Andromeda is COOL AND GOOD GAME :smug:

hehe suck my dick

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Moola posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is COOL AND GOOD GAME

Glad you finally see reason!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I think the STG spy quest would've been improved by the guy actually being a crazy washed-up conspiracy theorist, so if you just mindlessly choose to believe the guy who gives you the quest you get punished.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Elotana posted:

I think the STG spy quest would've been improved by the guy actually being a crazy washed-up conspiracy theorist, so if you just mindlessly choose to believe the guy who gives you the quest you get punished.

I was expecting that since they did something like it before with the drug pushers on Kadara.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
honestly what annoys about the game is i like that they were trying for a light hearted adventure with some emotional moments as well as dark ones but only a few parts work right, mostly because ryder is derp and the adventure sucks and none of the characters even the good ones gel right. which sucks because Citadel was pretty much that idea done right. i think EA should just hire James Gunn to right the drat game because he can do a better job then Halo 4 dipshit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dexo posted:

I was expecting that since they did something like it before with the drug pushers on Kadara.

That was a good quest.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah James Gunn will want to stop making billion dollar movies to work on a video game franchise that's been dead and gay for 6 years

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah James Gunn will want to stop making billion dollar movies to work on a video game franchise that's been dead and gay for 6 years

Some video game franchises may already be dead and gay, you see! Look closely.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

well no poo poo. i am just saying that would be cool. instead we got this.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think what sucks the most about this game is if there's ever a follow up, it almost certainly won't take place in Andromeda. So Drack could never be in another game unless he happens upon a wormhole (which he probably will).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't want to go back to the Milky Way. They'll have to pick and ending and they'll probably pick the wrong one and even if they pick the right one (synthesis) it's still going to suck.

The only way to go forward is to make all the endings sort of canon and that felt like a cop out when Deus Ex did it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

even if they pick the right one (synthesis)

You sir, are a biorobo abomination. Synth ending made absolute no sense and should have never been in the story at all.

You spend three games and over 120 hours comitted to fighting the Reaper threat. In the last 20 seconds of playable game, some douche Starchild says you can merge into robots with no loving explanation or backstory leading up to that resolution.

There's no way to merge all three endings, the best they could do is the fan-theory Shepard Indoctrination ending.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thor-Stryker posted:

You sir, are a biorobo abomination. Synth ending made absolute no sense and should have never been in the story at all.

You spend three games and over 120 hours comitted to fighting the Reaper threat. In the last 20 seconds of playable game, some douche Starchild says you can merge into robots with no loving explanation or backstory leading up to that resolution.

There's no way to merge all three endings, the best they could do is the fan-theory Shepard Indoctrination ending.

Destroy, with enough time to pass that some people think one of the other endings happened, and every sane person in the galaxy generally agreeing to dismiss those claims.

Or just time skip and gloss over it:

Codex: The Reaper Invasion
In 2186, poo poo went down, nobody likes to talk about it, shut up nerd and play the drat game.

AKA, the Morrowind method.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Error 404 posted:

Destroy, with enough time to pass that some people think one of the other endings happened, and every sane person in the galaxy generally agreeing to dismiss those claims.

that's probably the soundest way of doing it yeah

i still think it's weird that the rear end-pulled indoctrination theory that fans created made marginally better use of me3's, and the trilogy's, content as a whole than what walters rear end-pulled from whatever sensory deprivation tank he went into during the final draft

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Honestly no more Mass Effect is fine at this point, it had an alright run but I never want to hear an NPC talk about the genophage or TURIANS LIKE HIERARCHY ever again.

Hopefully some other developers will seize the gap and bash out some more space opera RPGs.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
They should make a new kotor game with tighter and better balanced me:a style combat. I'd play that probably

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Error 404 posted:

Or just time skip and gloss over it:

Codex: The Reaper Invasion
In 2186, poo poo went down, nobody likes to talk about it, shut up nerd and play the drat game.

AKA, the Morrowind method.

It'd almost definitely be Destroy if they did, because I'm pretty sure Bioware (sans Mac Walters) still knows the moment they even cough and glance at the other endings their fanbase at-large will not be happy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
finally sat down to try Witcher 3 despite my dislike of Geralt. Holy poo poo it's nice to play another RPG where quests and poo poo crop up organically without you needing to always chase down waypoints

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

so are they gonna release Quarian Ark or is that out the dang window now?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

*sound of toilet flushing*

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
If they ever go back, it'll be Destroy with the Starchild having been lying. The Geth will be fine due to xyz.

Aka the "Galaxy got hit hard, but things are going back to normal now and we can pull from all the fan favorite races." ending.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rookersh posted:

If they ever go back, it'll be Destroy with the Starchild having been lying. The Geth will be fine due to xyz.

Aka the "Galaxy got hit hard, but things are going back to normal now and we can pull from all the fan favorite races." ending.

Yes, Destroy+Geth is the only ending that ever existed. :colbert:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe whatshisface from Dead Space will be there too.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The true ending was destroy (the franchise and IP)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rookersh posted:

That's what confuses me. It'd be so easy to carry on from ME3 with minimal handwavey bullshit, and tell a new story that is anchored in the old setting, but disconnected from the old characters. Instead they made the new game completely isolated from the games everyone loved. It was a really weird choice.

However, I do think a problem with this franchise, compared to Dragon Age, is that it always put too much focus on the story of the Reapers, and not enough on developing its own setting and with interesting plots independent of the Reapers and Shepard that could carry on for future iterations. Dragon Age doesn't have this issue because it's always been about the continent as a whole, not any one conflict. You can solve the Solas problem in DA4 and still have enough material for another five stories in the setting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

They died.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I always skeptical that we'd get that simply because it'd require a ton of unique assets for a DLC. Even if Andromeda was a massive success, I don't think they'd want to put in the effort to add Quarian, Hanar, Drell, Elcor, Volus, and god knows what else into the game through a $15 DLC.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nichael posted:

I always skeptical that we'd get that simply because it'd require a ton of unique assets for a DLC. Even if Andromeda was a massive success, I don't think they'd want to put in the effort to add Quarian, Hanar, Drell, Elcor, Volus, and god knows what else into the game through a $15 DLC.

I was very surprised there were no quarians in the game, actually, because I want to say there were seen in some of the Andromeda Intiative facebook videos or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nichael posted:

To be fair, doing it now means they have the assets ready to go for the sequ-pffttthahahahaha.

Seriously though, if Bioware hadn't flushed the last of their goodwill down the shitter and still had DLC on the table, rendering all that now would mean they just have the assets on-hand and ready for ME:A2.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Thor-Stryker posted:

As bad as the ME3 endings were, it's amazing that the fanbase was still able to come up with something even dumber like the Indoctrination Theory.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
One of the few unquestionably good things about MEA was that it had absolutely no Quarians in it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I've been a longtime Mass Effect fan, and have gone through the OT repeatedly. I'm also one of those weirdos that legit likes the very first game despite its clunkiness, and was pretty much okey dokey with ME3's conclusion. And despite all of that, I couldn't get into Andromeda. Like, at all. The characters were hollow (except my homeboy Drack), and the plotting felt like a weird Asylum-produced knock-off of the first game. Worst of all, the missions themselves were boring and repetitive. It feels like a game that has very little regard for the time you invest in it. Mass Effect was a success because you cared about what you were doing. Andromeda tests how much you can possible not give a poo poo by being so weirdly detached. I sunk about twenty-ish hours into it, got to the second motherfucking desert planet, and tapped.

It's a shame, because I do really like franchise universe. And I was actually optimistic in the early hours because Andromeda seemed to be biting off of the same "enthusiastic exploration" that was present in the very first game. But it's become somewhat clear that the original trilogy was lightning in a bottle. If Andromeda is the best they can do right now with five years of development and god knows how much money, maybe it's best that the series go into hibernation.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Nichael posted:

Aww what a bummer. What a sad turn of events that I have literally no reason to ever go back to the Bad Mass Effect game and continue my legend through downloadable content.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JawKnee posted:

finally sat down to try Witcher 3 despite my dislike of Geralt. Holy poo poo it's nice to play another RPG where quests and poo poo crop up organically without you needing to always chase down waypoints

He's more likeable in polish. Also he's a big softie, he just pretends to be a hard rear end. His actions are almost always at odds with the gruff demeanor. His friends even make fun of him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, doing it now means they have the assets ready to go for the sequ-pffttthahahahaha.

Seriously though, if Bioware hadn't flushed the last of their goodwill down the shitter and still had DLC on the table, rendering all that now would mean they just have the assets on-hand and ready for ME:A2.

I really hope Andromeda flopping doesn't impact Dragon Age.