Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is Ryan Gosling already supposed to be a replicant? Because he doesn't seem to show any emotion at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Neo Rasa posted:

With Blade Runner's aesthetic's roots coming from 70s and early early 80s French comics I'm not surprised to see the sequel potentially still using "Oriental stuff" as a signifier for being in an exotic world beleaguered white people must put up with.

So if the film has a bunch of east asians, it's racist. On the other hand, if it has a paucity of east asians, it's racist.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wizchine posted:

So if the film has a bunch of east asians, it's racist. On the other hand, if it has a paucity of east asians, it's racist.

That is my understanding.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wizchine posted:

Cacator posted:

That is my understanding.

LMAO I'm speaking more of the music and ambiance but sure okay.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Is Ryan Gosling already supposed to be a replicant? Because he doesn't seem to show any emotion at all.
Dude's probably just numb from the trauma of being a hired killer. I guess we'll find out when we watch the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In a surprise twist Gosling's character is a Nexus 5 model, but no one notices. If he was Nexus 6 he'd be human enough to stand out.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gosling is such an obvious replicant that at this point I'd be actively disappointed if he isn't human and this is somehow a twist

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 14, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maybe both a human and replicant Gosling feature prominently and the trailer just doesn't make that obvious. Like in Dead Ringers we're not sure from scene to scene which one is a human and which one is just a ghost...in the shell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Gosling is such an obvious replicant that at this point I'd be actively disappointed if he isn't human and this is somehow a twist

Also I heard a new Blade Runner movie is coming out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neo Rasa posted:

With Blade Runner's aesthetic's roots coming from 70s and early early 80s French comics I'm not surprised to see the sequel potentially still using "Oriental stuff" as a signifier for being in an exotic world beleaguered white people must put up with.

The asian influence in Blade Runner came out of a period where Japan's consumer goods economy was dominant and China was just emerging as a manufacturing powerhouse, why is why Atari and Toshiba seemingly rule the world in 2019 Los Angeles. It was their attempt to predict how cultures would blend in the future.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

exquisite tea posted:

The asian influence in Blade Runner came out of a period where Japan's consumer goods economy was dominant and China was just emerging as a manufacturing powerhouse, why is why Atari and Toshiba seemingly rule the world in 2019 Los Angeles. It was their attempt to predict how cultures would blend in the future.

See also: every movie from the 70s and 80s where gaggles of Japanese tourists show up taking pictures of everything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Of course, but growing up at the time this was always couched in terms of "those drat Japanese/Chinese (often used interchangeably) people took over," and I'm sure that's effected how I look at movies (even one like Blade Runner which is my favorite movie ever). It's hard for me to not get that vibe from almost anything made during what was the peak Japan bashing period of modern times.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
U kno why there no Asian extras in movie? Because sequel movie shot in Belgium not Hollywood

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

atrus50 posted:

U kno why there no Asian extras in movie? Because sequel movie shot in Belgium not Hollywood

Actually, it's because hollywood jews are trying to instigate a race war by making racist movies for profit.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

James Hong is still alive and kicking, surely they could have brought him back too?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cacator posted:

James Hong is still alive and kicking, surely they could have brought him back too?

It's implied that they killed him. It's in the original script, I think, where his body is found frozen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just wish the Blade Runner Man wasn't so violent.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Neo Rasa posted:

Of course, but growing up at the time this was always couched in terms of "those drat Japanese/Chinese (often used interchangeably) people took over," and I'm sure that's effected how I look at movies (even one like Blade Runner which is my favorite movie ever). It's hard for me to not get that vibe from almost anything made during what was the peak Japan bashing period of modern times.

I never got that vibe from Blade Runner though. My feeling is the popular media push-back came a little later. Gung Ho was released in 1986, Ridley Scott's own Black Rain is from 1989, and the penultimate was Rising Sun, published in 1992

Alternatively, maybe because I was raised in Torrance, with a sizable group of Japanese- and Korean-American friends, it never stuck out to me. :shrug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Having read noire fiction between my last viewing of Blade Runner and now when I am not watching Blade Runner I think you get more out of Blade: Runner. There's a lot of the L.A. Noire series influence in there, such as the Black Dahlia looking female lead who in the books is a symbol of male possession of women.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wizchine posted:

I never got that vibe from Blade Runner though. My feeling is the popular media push-back came a little later. Gung Ho was released in 1986, Ridley Scott's own Black Rain is from 1989, and the penultimate was Rising Sun, published in 1992

Alternatively, maybe because I was raised in Torrance, with a sizable group of Japanese- and Korean-American friends, it never stuck out to me. :shrug:

You can see examples of the popular media pushback as early as 1981, where only a white dude was noble enough to master Japanese arts and use them for justice in Enter the Ninja, which started the juxtaposition of Japan bashing and holy poo poo ninja are the coolest thing throughout the 80s in the US.

I was still in Brooklyn at the time myself, which is a super diverse place on paper, but in practice especially at the time practically had visible borders from neighborhood to neighborhood and I grew up in Bensonhurst which was peak a "drat all these Asians taking over our fair city!" kind of place.* So a lot of media that I'm sure wasn't intended to be would be treated as it was and discussed with me as if it was when I was a kid. Japan bashing wasn't in the may not have been in the mainstream media as much until the mid 80s and early 90s, but you could definitely say it was a thing from the late 70s to the early 90s even if Gung Ho/etc. wasn't out yet and there wasn't evening news footage of people sledgehammering Toyota cars.

Anyway to bring this back to Blade Runner and the sometimes Orientalist roots of its own aesthetic, that's all I was talking about, not that there are too many white people in either movie or whatever people were saying.

I wonder if this sequel ended up getting pushed back/didn't happen for a few year we'd be getting a straight adaptation of the novel Blade Runner instead - cool thriller about a "Blade Runner" one of several agents who smuggle medical supplies to back alley street docs in a world where only the super rich can afford healthcare.

*Hilariously despite there having been a sizable Chinese population there literally forever, there are people that still feel this way. When I worked there again the early 2010s you'd see like 14 year old kids already randomly like "these drat Chinese are taking over," a whole new generation. :/ I forget the name, China Girl? The Abel Ferrara movie that was Romeo and Juliet set in Chinatown/Little Italy, should be required viewing in schools.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
There is a BLADE RUNNER 2049 Making-Of Featurette out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BUozYf9w0Y and its looking more interesting for sure.

I'm digging the Frank Sinatra holo vid at the start, and the visual theme they seem to be going for with this one. Not quite sold on the reworking of Vangelis's score though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I wouldn't guessed that those cityscapes were miniatures if they didn't have the shot of the crew walking around them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think people will be able to afford baths in the future?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i think orientalism in movies is interesting as long as it doesn't fall to a certain level. Let's keep it at Mr. Tojamura and not Diane

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Also if it had a different title I don't know how I would be able to to tell it wasn't Total Recall 2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Also if it had a different title I don't know how I would be able to to tell it wasn't Total Recall 2

It looking like a sequel to a popular Philip K. Dick adaptation is not necessarily a fault. :D

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i think orientalism in movies is interesting as long as it doesn't fall to a certain level. Let's keep it at Mr. Tojamura and not Diane

How is Diane worse than a white woman in japan-face

literally putting on a horrible accent

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

JockstrapManthrust posted:

There is a BLADE RUNNER 2049 Making-Of Featurette out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BUozYf9w0Y and its looking more interesting for sure.

I'm digging the Frank Sinatra holo vid at the start, and the visual theme they seem to be going for with this one. Not quite sold on the reworking of Vangelis's score though.

This film is either going to be good or loving suck. The expectations are too high for an average response.

Also, Deckard is a replicant, right?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/sequentialmatt/status/758026570757910529

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RedSpider posted:

Also, Deckard is a replicant, right?

Villeneuve wanted to leave it ambiguous, but then Ridley happened:

quote:

IGN: At what point while making the original film did you decide that Deckard would be a Replicant?

RS: Oh, it was always my thesis theory. It was one or two people who were relevant were... I can't remember if Hampton agreed with me or not. But I remember someone had said, “Well, isn't it corny?” I said, “Listen, I'll be the best f#@king judge of that. I'm the director, okay?” So, and that, you learn -- you know, by then I'm 44, so I'm no f#@king chicken. I'm a very experienced director from commercials and The Duellists and Alien. So, I'm able to, you know, answer that with confidence at the time, and say, “You know, back off, it's what it's gonna be.” Harrison, he was never -- I don't remember, actually. I think Harrison was going, “Uh, I don't know about that.” I said, “But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, ‘I've been here, I left her alive, and I can't resist letting you know what's in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a f#@king unicorn!’” Right? So, I love Beavis and Butthead, so what should follow that is “Duh.” So now it will be revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ridley is cool

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Scott is a national treasure for the delivery of that anecdote.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Now I want Ridley Scott to direct the live action Beavis and Butthead film.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SUNKOS posted:

Ridley Scott ownes so much.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Consider that Scott is a hack and he only retroactively came up with the idea to make Deckard a replicant, which adds nothing to the film's thesis. Yet he thinks it does.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ridley is free to think and say whatever. The original Blade Runner is an excellent film and if the guy that directed it did so with the intention of Deckard being a replicant then that's fine.

Ridley's more recent output has been dreadful though, and I don't think he should be meddling with the script of 2049 when Villeneuve has proven himself as an incredibly talented director that deserves complete creative control over the movie. Ridley seems to have an unusual obsession with revisiting his old works and stripping away the mystery behind them, which has gone terribly for Alien, and it would be a shame to see the new Blade Runner movie dragged down by his interference when he should be kept as far away from it as possible. It's a shame Villeneuve can't just do whatever he wants here.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Scott stating decades later that Deckard is a replicant doesn't change the film one whit.

I do like his recent output though :/

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yaws posted:

I do like his recent output though :/

Goddamn it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien Covenant is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Whether or not either are replicants is a bit of an empty twist for twist's sake imho. It would be more interesting if it was left ambiguous but the characters themselves spent the whole movie going slowly insane with paranoia about ~perhaps I'm a replicant~ and wrestling with the idea of whether or not to try and find out.

• Locked thread