Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

thumper57 posted:

Seems like they should just have multiple tiers in gyms, with players level 11+ locked out of the "bottom" level, 21+ locked out of the middle level, etc. Then players at each range can compete with each other, and just challenge the higher tiers if they really want to.

Edit: To clarify, I mean there should be 10 slots for players level 10 and below, then 10 more slots for players level 20 and below, etc - not that the existing 10 slots be divided by tier. I guess this would mean a given gym could be owned by multiple teams at a time, though.

Gyms controlled by multiple teams could be a cool concept, actually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

seiferguy posted:

Just got my seventh up-grade for my 7 day streak :shepface:

And I still have only got 1 metal coat overall. I wish they could do a trade 2 evolutionary items for 1 of your choice thing, or something. I'm not going to evolve 7 porygons.

I have yet to get a single upgrade. Scales and crowns galore for me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Gyms controlled by multiple teams could be a cool concept, actually...

With some sort of bonus if all three tiers are your team's color.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The gym is owned by the workers, and the bourgoise Tyrannitars will be thrown down!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Julio Cruz posted:

With some sort of bonus if all three tiers are your team's color.

as if multiple-account botters aren't enough of a problem now :negative:

I'd like to see them do something like that if they overhaul the gym mechanic entirely, though. Right now it's bad no matter what level you are, so helping new players is good, and should be done, but also the system needs fixing beyond that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Nerf Blissey, get rid of timers. That would make it a lot better.

Or give us PVP and trading.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm having a bad feeling about this because I feel like the "MaxSamePokemonAtFort" is the only gym change that's coming, and it's just going to make it more frustrating for everyone. What makes anyone think this would help lower-level/casual/younger players? Do they think now kids will be able to reach a gym faster to put in a Blissey before all the more experienced/hardcore people do? I feel like casual players would be hamstrung because they were working as hard as they could toward attaining the same big Blissey or Dragonite that all the top players do, but now this change makes their efforts useless because the ones most likely to take down gyms and put things in them first will be the more hardcore players and they'll of course choose the Blissey/Dragonite/Snorlax/Tyranitar to put in first.

I could be optimistic though and maybe this just means a small limit of 3 of the same Pokemon in a gym or something, which would be a slightly better change because this means you can't have a pure Blissey 10-stack but it's realistic enough where most gyms usually wouldn't have more than 3 of the same Pokemon anyway.

I also don't know where everyone's getting the idea of limiting types at a gym though. Especially if half types count because then you have only 8 types of Pokemon to choose from if everyone somehow covered 2 types per Pokemon. The "MaxSamePokemonAtFort" code definitely reads more as "specie" than "type" to me.

Fake edit: I didn't even think about how this could stretch shaving to a much more cutthroat means. Imagine vengeful teammates shaving a gym down all the way because they wanted to put a Blissey in but a competing same team Blissey is in the top spot.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 11, 2017

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Unlimited gym slots. Top 10 are selected as defenders
Done.

Though I guess I can't complain about the status quo. I've had 4 gyms on lock for months with like 2950cp mons, nothing crazy.
One of my Gyarados got knocked off a gym the other day (attacked, not shaved) and I realized I had levelled twice since it was last in my inventory. Put it back 86cp higher :cool:

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Math You posted:

Done.

Though I guess I can't complain about the status quo. I've had 4 gyms on lock for months with like 2950cp mons, nothing crazy.
One of my Gyarados got knocked off a gym the other day (attacked, not shaved) and I realized I had levelled twice since it was last in my inventory. Put it back 86cp higher :cool:

This also would be a bit off since you would need total of 10 stagnated gyms in a city to cater for everyone who plays that team.

I'm really curious and a little scared to see how niantic will handle this poo poo.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If nothing else I'd like a grace timer on attacking gyms vs collecting. There's a loop of 4 gyms I can hit near my house, but with the active players in the area (and even more active botters) there's very little chance I can successfully take and place a pokemon in all 4 before someone wipes them behind me. If there was something like a grace period for coin collection, like, "you were in this gym less than an hour ago, you can still collect from it" then I could attack all 4, get my 40 coins, and not worry overmuch about other players, legit or not, sniping them out behind me.

might promote more active gym attacks if the incentive was there to hit them and get rewarded for making them turn over, even if temporarily. Right now the incentive is to find a level 9 and put a Blissey in it.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Willsun posted:

I'm having a bad feeling about this because I feel like the "MaxSamePokemonAtFort" is the only gym change that's coming, and it's just going to make it more frustrating for everyone.

I doubt it. The gym overhaul is supposed to be the next major update the game's getting in 2017, out of four, with Gen II being the first.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is there a way I can narrow down the IV when I'm given a range? Like my calculator says my Karp is 82-93%. If it's in the 90s I'd like to evolve it, but not in the 80s. Just a personal preference. Is there any way I could know for sure?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Is there a way I can narrow down the IV when I'm given a range? Like my calculator says my Karp is 82-93%. If it's in the 90s I'd like to evolve it, but not in the 80s. Just a personal preference. Is there any way I could know for sure?

Get the IV Go app. It's safe.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I walked this eevee for 10k, I got two candies out of it, I wait until night to evolve and... my eightieth vaporeon. What the heck? If all these clickbait adsense google results for how to do it are lying to me, is there any way to actually get an umbreon besides the naming trick?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Did the walking/time and also named them and worked for both umbreon and espeon for me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Did you evolve it from the buddy screen?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

No, I started walking a different Eeevee to wait for night time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

No, I started walking a different Eeevee to wait for night time.

That's why. He has to be your buddy for it to work.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Wonder eevee's don't grow on trees! I fed it all my dust, too. This sucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Drunk Nerds posted:

That range is pretty wide. Did you enter all the appraisal phrases from your team leader?

If yes, then I'm assuming it's (very) low level. Power it up a bit and calculate again and it should have narrowed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Don't dust until after you evo!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Get the IV Go app. It's safe.

The app specifically named "IV Go?"
Maybe I'm not using it right, because I got it, input my stats, and it told me the Karp was between 71-93%. It didn't even ask my trainer phrases

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is there any chance that 7 day spin evolve items are tied to the Pokestop? I hit the same stop first thing in the morning on the drive to work and every single 7 day has been a crown.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

weekly font posted:

Is there any chance that 7 day spin evolve items are tied to the Pokestop? I hit the same stop first thing in the morning on the drive to work and every single 7 day has been a crown.

It's been tested, they're not. You're just getting unlucky.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's why. He has to be your buddy for it to work.

Also, I've heard that you have to go to their buddy page, click their name at the bottom which will open their page, and then evolve from there. That's what I did to get Umbreon, along with naming her Sakura and all the other stuff just to be safe, and it worked.

Krinkle posted:

Why would you dust before you evolved and checked its move set? :psyduck:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

The app specifically named "IV Go?"
Maybe I'm not using it right, because I got it, input my stats, and it told me the Karp was between 71-93%. It didn't even ask my trainer phrases

It should be just called "IV Go" and the icon is a white meter thing leaning to the right and the background is light blue. At least that's what I use, and I've used both the Google one where you get a code login and PTC and none of them require you to put in anything beyond your password or code.

I risked it right from the start when using things like PGNexus and I haven't gotten in trouble for having them pull my data to see my Pokemon IVs. Things that require eyeballing the arc and putting in trainer phrases sounds like a nightmare and like 2 hours a night to clear all your newly caught Pokemon unless you're catching only 10 a day or something. The day I get banned simply for wanting a more efficient way of checking IVs all at once and not even breaking the game like spoofing, I'll take it and stop playing.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Math You posted:

Done.

Then no one would ever be short of coins and Niantic wouldn't make any money. Also seems kind of silly even outside of money making since what's the point of having a pokemon "in a gym" if they don't actually do anything?

Psion posted:

If nothing else I'd like a grace timer on attacking gyms vs collecting. There's a loop of 4 gyms I can hit near my house, but with the active players in the area (and even more active botters) there's very little chance I can successfully take and place a pokemon in all 4 before someone wipes them behind me. If there was something like a grace period for coin collection, like, "you were in this gym less than an hour ago, you can still collect from it" then I could attack all 4, get my 40 coins, and not worry overmuch about other players, legit or not, sniping them out behind me.

might promote more active gym attacks if the incentive was there to hit them and get rewarded for making them turn over, even if temporarily. Right now the incentive is to find a level 9 and put a Blissey in it.

Lol that's not happening. Do you play with other people or are you just on your own trying to place in gyms? For a lot of gyms you don't even have to be there simultaneously, just post in a private chat channel about which gyms need adding and people will stop by to drop off their pokemon and boost the prestige. If the gyms you're used to are too volatile you can probably find more stable ones that don't change teams as often on the local team channel.

Willsun posted:

I'm having a bad feeling about this because I feel like the "MaxSamePokemonAtFort" is the only gym change that's coming, and it's just going to make it more frustrating for everyone. What makes anyone think this would help lower-level/casual/younger players? Do they think now kids will be able to reach a gym faster to put in a Blissey before all the more experienced/hardcore people do? I feel like casual players would be hamstrung because they were working as hard as they could toward attaining the same big Blissey or Dragonite that all the top players do, but now this change makes their efforts useless because the ones most likely to take down gyms and put things in them first will be the more hardcore players and they'll of course choose the Blissey/Dragonite/Snorlax/Tyranitar to put in first.

I could be optimistic though and maybe this just means a small limit of 3 of the same Pokemon in a gym or something, which would be a slightly better change because this means you can't have a pure Blissey 10-stack but it's realistic enough where most gyms usually wouldn't have more than 3 of the same Pokemon anyway.

I also don't know where everyone's getting the idea of limiting types at a gym though. Especially if half types count because then you have only 8 types of Pokemon to choose from if everyone somehow covered 2 types per Pokemon. The "MaxSamePokemonAtFort" code definitely reads more as "specie" than "type" to me.

Fake edit: I didn't even think about how this could stretch shaving to a much more cutthroat means. Imagine vengeful teammates shaving a gym down all the way because they wanted to put a Blissey in but a competing same team Blissey is in the top spot.

:agreed:

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Someone shaved my 2880 Rhydon out of a gym and used a 1630 Tauros to replace it :psyduck:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Someone shaved my 2880 Rhydon out of a gym and used a 1630 Tauros to replace it :psyduck:

It's likely an enemy player attacked it, stopped because it was taking too long (or they were just bored) and Tauros player just came by when they saw a spot was open.

At least that's what I like to believe when my high cp guys get shaved out for something lower.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mechanical Fiend posted:

An enemy player opened a spot for his alt account. Weakened the gym by sticking poo poo in there. I hate that guy.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

An enemy player opened a spot for his alt account. Weakened the gym by sticking poo poo in there. I hate that guy.

I hate this. There are five gyms near my house which are almost always maxed out and filled with the same 10 players' 'mons. And they're all Mystic, as am I, so there's nothing I can do about it. My hat's off to the noble Valor players who dethroned them yesterday, and sorry for taking the gyms back off of you...

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The absolute worse are players who shave a lvl 7+ gym instead of leveling it up.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Because I'm bored, here's a list of Pokemon that we can get right now that still have no evolutions as of gen 7:

Gen 1
  • Farfetch'd
  • Kangaskhan
  • Pinsir
  • Tauros
  • Lapras
  • Ditto
  • Aerodactyl

Gen 2
  • Unown
  • Girafarig
  • Dunsparce
  • Qwilfish
  • Shuckle
  • Heracross
  • Corsola
  • Skarmory
  • Stantler
  • Miltank

So besides Lapras and Heracross, don't worry about saving for any of these beyond getting a dex entry. Or if you want to spell naughty things with Unown. Smeargle and Delibird would be on this list but they're not in the game yet. Smeargle's like the Ditto of gen 2 and Delibird might be saved for a Christmas special is my guess.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Can someone explain what delibird and smeargle's moves are that make them so unique that they need special care in their release? I never played past gen 1.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Psychobabble! posted:

Can someone explain what delibird and smeargle's moves are that make them so unique that they need special care in their release? I never played past gen 1.

Delibird has a move that can either heal or damage the enemy. Most likely they're saving him for Christmas and don't actually care about this.

Smeargle has a move called Sketch which allows it to permanently learn the move that they opponent used last, so it sounds like it's basically impossible for Niantic to program that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Psychobabble! posted:

Smeargle only learns one move by any method, a move that copies the move last used in battle permanently. Delibird's signature move does fixed damage - or a chance to heal the target instead.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

When blissey comes back after a month in the gym.
So I maxed the bitch out. Ready to go back in.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Did they change the max gyms you can be in? I swear it used to be 10 but I'm at 8 right now and the game isn't letting me in any others.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Saved for my first 9 10k egg hatching spree and got 3 Gligar, 3 Sudowoodo, 2 Pineco and a Larvitar. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Riversideblues posted:

Did they change the max gyms you can be in? I swear it used to be 10 but I'm at 8 right now and the game isn't letting me in any others.

I don't think that's ever been a thing. I talked to a friend last week who said he was at 18 or so. that greedy bastard

• Locked thread