Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

The more I think about it, the only thing missing from volume 2 is that "holy poo poo this is new and different" feeling from the first one. I went into the first one completely blind to everything about it, so everything was just one glorious surprise after another. Kinda hard to do with a sequel.

I was curious if they would pull back a little from the first or if they would swing for the fences. They definitely went for it and I think it went well. You could see they increased the budget a lot. The facial adjustment for young Ego was unbelievably good when compared to what they did with Tron. More lines for Drax and Dave Bautista being hilarious gives me hope that he can become another Dwayne Johnson.

Last note; Zardu Hasselfrau lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man if my bathroom could talk the horror it went through this morning would make you guys I'll.

But on the plus side, made my weight goal!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hell yeah keep gettin it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

RillAkBea posted:

I started off on the JET program then switched between conversation schools and private ALT work a couple of times. You'll probably get placed in the middle of nowhere but as long as you have a couple of cool teachers to work with it can be a great experience though I wouldn't recommend making a career out of it.

My sister moved to Japan with the JET program straight out of uni but quit after 6 months lol. That was 15 years ago and she's still in Tokyo

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Haven't lifted in almost 3 months, feel like crap. I was doing really well, from July of last year to January I went from 135lbs to 165lbs, (I'm 6'1") put on lots of muscle.

Frigging vasectomy recovery. Couple weeks my rear end. I know I'm an outlier but it sucks. Good news is I'm finally feeling up to lifting again soon. Seeing the losses though will stink.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Witness?

Witness.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

haha oh man

i did way worse this semester than i thought

lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Too many marijuanas i see

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

haha oh man

i did way worse this semester than i thought

lol

you got a single B??? how will you ever survive

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

you got a single B??? how will you ever survive

think a down a couplr

across the board

e: not gonna have another meltdown in here, relax everyone

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's what making GBS threads 9 times in one day results in!

LoL, weight loss goal achieved but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

think a down a couplr

across the board

e: not gonna have another meltdown in here, relax everyone

Nah I wouldn't give you beef over it after saying you had some mental health stuff go down man.

I just couldn't avoid the weed joke :3:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Nah I wouldn't give you beef over it after saying you had some mental health stuff go down man.

I just couldn't avoid the weed joke :3:

s'all good mang

i do gotta replace this av at some point tho. got an av cert burning a hole in my pocket, just haven't seen anything that strikes my fancy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How terrible are late 90's Mazda Millenia's? We're still auditioning potential cars for the group project and one of the guys found a '99 with the supercharger for $900. It's got wheel well rust and mismatched wheels but it runs well enough. The s/c seems to have an issue but for $900 could we really go wrong here? I bet we can talk the dude down because it is UGLY.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress I lied, e/n dump incoming

Financial aid officiant dropped again due to the same credit hour limit as before, no way they'll let me appeal it after this most recent semester. There goes any hope of pretending everything's fine, gotta go to mom if I wanna pay classes out of pocket and explain why. And then she'll question if I have what it takes to finish school, like she always has when things went wrong in the past, to which my only reply is I tried the blue collar life and found myself inadequate; this is my only hope.

I can feel poo poo starting to unravel, big time.

And of all days for it to come together. Happy mother's day! Your son's a useless lump.

/EN

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

gently caress I lied, e/n dump incoming

Financial aid officiant dropped again due to the same credit hour limit as before, no way they'll let me appeal it after this most recent semester. There goes any hope of pretending everything's fine, gotta go to mom if I wanna pay classes out of pocket and explain why. And then she'll question if I have what it takes to finish school, like she always has when things went wrong in the past, to which my only reply is I tried the blue collar life and found myself inadequate; this is my only hope.

I can feel poo poo starting to unravel, big time.

And of all days for it to come together. Happy mother's day! Your son's a useless lump.

/EN

For what it's worth, you seem to be a better student and a better engineer than I was/am, which is why I made the crack earlier that I did. You hold yourself to a high standard. You seem to stay on top of it most of the time, and (from what you've posted anyway) are taking it seriously and applying yourself. It took me 10 years to get my BS because I kept getting distracted and forgetting how to really buckle down and do work, but I still made it through. The only difference between my situation and yours is that my parents are more forgiving than yours, apparently. So you should know that just because you are imperfect and are at a low spot right now, doesn't mean that tons of people who have done the same thing haven't come out the other side victorious. But it is a lot of work. You're in your junior year? I had to retake some things around that time too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Straight up dude I graduated uni with a 2.6 and the lowest you could get is a 2.5

Granted I have no idea how it works for engineering but I still managed to find a great job that didn't care about my GPA, only about what I knew and what I was willing to learn.

If I hadn't worked 50hr/week and played a lot of video games I probbo would have done better (aka played more video games and less work) but eh

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's not that they've been unforgiving so far, it's just that every setback like this pushes the generosity a little further and I don't know how much is left. Like stretching a rubber band and waiting for the snap.

But yeah two Ds and a straight up F, it's a real loving bad look.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

It's not that they've been unforgiving so far, it's just that every setback like this pushes the generosity a little further and I don't know how much is left. Like stretching a rubber band and waiting for the snap.

But yeah two Ds and a straight up F, it's a real loving bad look.

I bet you'll ace them the second time through. Unless they aren't prerequisites, so you can just leave them be and apply yourself to the next thing on the list. I did a little bit better than TT with a 2.9, but I definitely had to re-take several classes, two of them from the same semester. Sometimes poo poo just happens and you gotta just head back down to the trenches and sort that poo poo out.

If your mother is giving you poo poo for stumbling, that's just not right. Feel free to take her money, but I can't imagine that she never made a mistake herself. In fact, if it was all too easy, I'd say you were doing the wrong thing. All the interesting stuff in life is hard, and sucks sometimes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I guess it's a side effect of hearing her war stories. She grew up dirt poor, her dad was an engineer for 40 years but between 7 kids they just barely scraped by. At 18 she was out on her own, working through accounting school at winn dixie (at the same university as me no less), then fighting the next 20 years to be taken seriously as a career woman in the 80s and 90s, all while having me and my sisters and divorcing my dad. Finally landed a good job around 2k, lost a ton of real estate value in 08 but still manages to have a mind boggling net worth, at least from my pov.

She literally bootstrapped herself from nothing to upper middle class. Next to that it feels like how loving dare I be so... mediocre.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SOMEONE JUST OFFERED ME A FREE PT CRUISER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

SOMEONE JUST OFFERED ME A FREE PT CRUISER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does that qualify as assault? you may have a case

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"You wanted a cheap lovely car right? We just got a new van so we were gonna ditch the PT. It's awful and needs a bottle of PS fluid every week. Yours if you want it."

So uh, anybody want to do that AI Rally?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

I guess it's a side effect of hearing her war stories. She grew up dirt poor, her dad was an engineer for 40 years but between 7 kids they just barely scraped by. At 18 she was out on her own, working through accounting school at winn dixie (at the same university as me no less), then fighting the next 20 years to be taken seriously as a career woman in the 80s and 90s, all while having me and my sisters and divorcing my dad. Finally landed a good job around 2k, lost a ton of real estate value in 08 but still manages to have a mind boggling net worth, at least from my pov.

She literally bootstrapped herself from nothing to upper middle class. Next to that it feels like how loving dare I be so... mediocre.

Okay, but her situation is not your situation, and you are not her. I bet you could do accounting too, but that's not what you're passionate about. I know people who are working 2 jobs and taking a full load and pulling straight As, but those people aren't me. So do the best you can, and follow your passion for as long as you are able. Sounds like she's quite able to pay for your school, and I'm sure she wants you to succeed. Just stay passionate and try not to make the same mistake twice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

"You wanted a cheap lovely car right? We just got a new van so we were gonna ditch the PT. It's awful and needs a bottle of PS fluid every week. Yours if you want it."

LS3 the bitch

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Enourmo posted:

Take back the bootstrap comment, then compare how many hours you had to work to pay for college at her time vs yours. I failed my first year of uni and had to redo from start pretty much at my parents cost, I hope they never find out it was because I was stoned and loving almost non-stop but I know they don't care about the money now because of where I've got to 15 years later. I've underachieved compared to my dad in my opinion but they're proud of me and my brothers for who we are.

poo poo dude I got a 2,2 degree and I've never had to actually tell anyone that when getting a job, it's literally never mattered.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I hated university because I knew everything they were teaching me was decades out of date and I was just box ticking to get a degree to get a job to get experience to get a better job etc...

If you are pulling 50/h a week working to help pay for it then that is the main issue really. Just talk to your mother and thrash it out, she seems like a reasonable person who knows what it is like to start with a handicap in life and will want to minimize that for her children.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The current spiraling price of higher education, and the comparative reasonable cost when your mom went years ago, is real and demonstrable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

poo poo dude I got a 2,2 degree and I've never had to actually tell anyone that when getting a job, it's literally never mattered.
Yeah, Enourmo, I've probably failed more exams than you've taken. But things like degrees are a ratchet, once you get up that next click, you're good, how and how long don't matter any more. Then get yourself in the door somewhere, and it becomes about your capability, people have seen too many imbeciles with massive theoretical knowledge and great qualifications who can't actually do anything. Get that inertia of being known as competent and things just kind of roll along with or without the qualification.

In some areas of my life, I'm both terminally lazy and quite rubbish. But people don't see that so much if the bit that directly affects them is going according to plan.

And yes, you are not your mother, and the world she was dealing with is not the world as it is now.

In other news, I spent the morning hanging out with the guys from Regular Car Reviews, they're good blokes. Cappo had loads of people wanting a poke around or sit in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

You've got a few weeks, you can probably make it here by then.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Against all odds I got some sleep and I'm feeling a little better. I know I can pull it out, was kinda just having a panic attack tbh.

Thanks for all the kinds words, you guys prove once again that you're good people.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

The current spiraling price of higher education, and the comparative reasonable cost when your mom went years ago, is real and demonstrable.

The amount it has increased in the last 15 years alone is obscene, and 15 years ago it was already way too expensive to cover in-state tuition plus living expenses with a near minimum wage job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

Against all odds I got some sleep and I'm feeling a little better. I know I can pull it out, was kinda just having a panic attack tbh.

Thanks for all the kinds words, you guys prove once again that you're good people.

A lot of people go through bad semesters. My first semester I pulled a solid 1.8 GPA. After that, I realized that it was time to put on my big boy pants and I hardened the gently caress up. From that point on, I pulled almost straight As and ended up cum laude in undergrad.

So basically, your loving around time is spent. Time to shake it off, harden the gently caress up and do the work!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Safety Dance posted:

Nice! With who / what industry?

Computer janitor at Trend Micro. Their headquarters is here in Dallas, as I just learned last week.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

Man, I was looking at getting cop style center caps for the car, but they're like $40-70 on ebay for a full set, and like another 50 for the chrome trim rings I want. Guess I'll live with the granny hubcaps for now.

I don't know about the trim rings ( because I hate the look of trim rings in those wheels), but I found a set of the caps on eBay for $35, so that's about right. I already had two, so I have a pair of spares. I found a wrecking yard that had a lot of ex-cop cars, but I think someone makes a living of snagging all the hubcaps and aluminum wheels.

In other news, and in no way aimed at you, Enourmo - completely coincidental - my wife graduated Cum Laude with her BS in Paralegal Studies yesterday. I'm unbelievably proud of her for sticking with it, and terrified of the debt....
For reference, we're both in our 40s, and she works full time and is raising a daughter and husband. It can be done. Her request for Mother's Day was to do nothing. This is the first day in several years that she hasn't had something due, or a schedule to plan, or financials to arrange.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mostly want trim rings to avoid the murdered out look, kinda visually break up the mass of black.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I spent mother's day (and yesterday) helping a local flower shop with deliveries.

The floral industry must be a loving racket on par with higher education because dude is paying 6 folks to build arrangement in shop and three drivers 7-10 per delivery. Of course that's probably why the arrangements cost anywhere from 70-150 dollars. :stare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Got my "loan paid in full" notice from the bank yesterday, on my wife's cr-v. Woop woop.

Unfortunately the letter was ambiguous about whether I would receive a title, or have to request it from the DMV. Car was purchased brand new, anybody know how this works?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

Got my "loan paid in full" notice from the bank yesterday, on my wife's cr-v. Woop woop.

Unfortunately the letter was ambiguous about whether I would receive a title, or have to request it from the DMV. Car was purchased brand new, anybody know how this works?

In Ohio, I've received the title in the mail, with the lien signed off by the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Enourmo posted:

I mostly want trim rings to avoid the murdered out look, kinda visually break up the mass of black.

Buck the trend, get full moon discs.

• Locked thread