Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's like his advice of "you gonna have to work hard for success, stop chasing instant gratification" is nearly on the mark, but he shits all over that by highlighting that he hasn't learned a drat thing in regards to his own mistakes!

In fact that's nearly every reply in a nutshell, good advice that clearly doesn't apply in their own situation because "i'm good at this poo poo fam, just got a stroke of bad luck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Addictions are never cured, only managed. They are always there, lurking, waiting to emerge and take control one drunk evening.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How did a 19 year old get $55k to piss away in the stock market to begin with...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bad with (mom and dad's) money

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Is extra bad and stupid that OP somehow lost 70% in the middle of a rally where the S&P 500 gained 15%

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

cowofwar posted:

Addictions are never cured, only managed. They are always there, lurking, waiting to emerge and take control one drunk evening.

drat, that hits close to home.

I'm not surprised that the Ryzen didn't do much for AMD, a lot of us have been repeatedly burned by AMD/ATI products in the past that all look great on paper and benchmarks, but suck rear end in real-world use. I used to be a hardcore AMD fanboy in the days right after they switched from the ceramic package athlons (thunderbird-> palomino IIRC) and athlon 64. They just keep falling short of what Intel and Nvidia are capable of outside of benchmarks.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

cowofwar posted:

nope

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Is extra bad and stupid that OP somehow lost 70% in the middle of a rally where the S&P 500 gained 15%

Penny stocks: worse than doing nothing (TM)

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well if there's a phpBB forum for it, it's got to be true...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The CURED List!
An area for those whose drinking is down to safe levels to announce their success and talk about any issues they encounter in their ongoing journey.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Anti-addiction drugs make you able to drink and not give a poo poo, like a normal person. Or just stop because you no longer want it at all.

They are real and promising. That board is for Naltrexone.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

And what happens if you stop taking the drug?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
What happens if someone with clinical depression stops taking their meds? What happens if anyone else with a mental disorder stops?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You don't call them cured

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 13, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Scudworth posted:

What happens if someone with clinical depression stops taking their meds? What happens if anyone else with a mental disorder stops?

Mental disorders are generally only managed, not cured. Source: my brain

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I was getting blackout drunk every night and had no control of myself, and then I stopped drinking to excess within a few months of starting treatment, and now I haven't had a drink in a year. No meetings or therapy required, and I no longer take the medication because I don't need to. (I keep some around on the off chance I feel like drinking, which I literally never do anymore.)

Skepticism is warranted given how much is being promised and how unlikely it appears, but this poo poo actually works.

I won't derail further. Look it up if you're interested; please don't dismiss it out of hand if addiction is a problem for you.

E: a better source

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 13, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm glad to hear it helped you.

It sounds like you'd like other people to be helped by it as well. If so, please think about finding something that appears more reputable than a link to a sketchy looking forum. That only enhances people's skepticism.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

I'm glad to hear it helped you.

It sounds like you'd like other people to be helped by it as well. If so, please think about finding something that appears more reputable than a link to a sketchy looking forum. That only enhances people's skepticism.

Fair enough. I hadn't visited in a while and the community seems to have evaporated since then; it was very active a couple years ago. I don't think people have much reason to stay if they don't have a problem anymore.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bah gawd, that's the derail bird's eye!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Have we established if owning a delightful tropical bird is BWM yet?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'll help!

r/personalfinance posted:

Parents in 50s, signed a 30 year 500k mortgage, 100k in debt, help?

Both of my parents are in their 50s - mom 52, dad 55. Before I went to college, we had a home in the suburbs of DC. It wasn't the biggest or nicest home, but it was perfect for our family of 6. My dad has a nice government job and makes well over 100k a year. However, my mom is quite the spender, so we never really enjoyed any of it. They have 0 savings, and didn't save anything for me to go to college. Did it all on loans.

While I'm in college (2k miles away), my parents make the decision to build a new home on a piece of property in an expensive part of town. They build a giant house costing 500k, borrow 60k to build a sewer line to said house, borrow 10k for nice cabinets, and then finally borrow an additional 30k for a brand new minivan. 20k in additional debt from who knows what.

Their original plan was to split the piece of property and sell it, using the proceeds to settle their debt. However, FHA only allowed them to use half the proceeds (about 50k) to settle debt... The rest going to the mortgage. So, about 50k in high interest debt, 450k in a 30 year mortgage... they'll be working until they die.

I love them very much, but they are obviously very bad with financial decisions. I have a job lined up so I'm not too worried, but I worry for my younger brothers who are still living with them. What should they do? I think selling the house at this point would be the best idea, but they probably couldn't recoop their entire investment. It's a big house, but everything in it is cheap due to their budget constraints (laminate floors, vinyl siding, cardboard doors). It's also pretty beat up because of the 3 boys living at home.

---

They sold our old home and made nothing off it (sold it less than buy value). Bought the new piece of land for 200k, built the house for 300kish. Split the land in two, sold the unoccupied portion for about 100k.

I have no idea. It's a nice area, so I'd assume maybe 600k? The house itself is not very nice though, they didn't have enough money to build a driveway or any other external features - it's literally a house in the middle of a dirt lot.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Chinese Retirement Strategy, have four sons who will be obligated to care for their incompetent elders.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

Chinese Retirement Strategy, have four sons who will be obligated to care for their incompetent elders.

All of them in debt up to their eyeballs because they went to medical school ... in the Caribbean and they didn't find a match for their residency.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

The house itself is not very nice though, they didn't have enough money to build a driveway or any other external features - it's literally a house in the middle of a dirt lot.

:psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How the hell do you spend over half a million dollars on a house and not build a driveway :psyboom:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

How the hell do you spend over half a million dollars on a house and not build a driveway :psyboom:

At least they spent 10k on some nice cabinets :haw:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Day trading is all about chasing every move of the market, and may involve options trading which is a great way to turn a big pile of money into a little pile of money.

But they probably panic sold in the middle of the first down turn.

Edit

:grovertoot:

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 14, 2017

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Don't need a driveway if you commute by horse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Don't need a driveway if you commute by horse.

Everything's a driveway in your brand new 2017 FordŽ Super Duty F350 King Ranch.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Thank you for your contribution, that was a good story. Other than being irresponsible with money, the Reddit poster's parents are apparently also bad at preparing real estate for sale:

quote:

Going to be quite frank, the old house was ugly and in disrepair. Very ugly. Surprised it even sold.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Have we established if owning a delightful tropical bird is BWM yet?

It's as bad with money as any other $2,000 pet with a 20 year lifespan who requires a daily supply of fresh fruit, custom pellet, and dies if cook with teflon products.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

H110Hawk posted:

It's as bad with money as any other $2,000 pet with a 20 year lifespan who requires a daily supply of fresh fruit, custom pellet, and dies if cook with teflon products.

It's more like 40 to 50, sometimes more. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend's mom's bird is going to be in her will and we will end up with it, though he is a p cool little guy :3:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Most things die if you cook them with or without teflon products.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0zac posted:

Most things die if you cook them with or without teflon products.

You beat me to it. What are you cooking for the bird, though? Wouldn't they eat things raw?

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Volmarias posted:

You beat me to it. What are you cooking for the bird, though? Wouldn't they eat things raw?

Offhassing from normal people-food cooking with teflon products can kill birds. Very BWM.

Edit: Bad with Macaws?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I looked it up and it's specifically the gas released when teflon is heated above 300C / 572F, which is also toxic enough to humans as to cause flu-like symptoms, but birds' respiratory systems absorb stuff from the air much more readily and so wind up dead from something that would just make a human kinda sick. Truly the horses of the sky.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I looked it up and it's specifically the gas released when teflon is heated above 300C / 572F, which is also toxic enough to humans as to cause flu-like symptoms, but birds' respiratory systems absorb stuff from the air much more readily and so wind up dead from something that would just make a human kinda sick. Truly the horses of the sky.

You take that back, you filthy bastard! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Weatherman posted:

You take that back, you filthy bastard! :argh:
True, theoretically you can make money with horses. How about the salt water aquarium of the sky?