Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Any way to trigger the update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

iajanus posted:

Any way to trigger the update?
I just pulled up the update check page a few times in a row, third time it stopped giving me the green check and instead started downloading.

It'll factory reset your watch anyways, so there's no harm in sideloading the zip if you're comfortable with that, but so far it seems that a lot of people have had luck just refreshing the update check a few times.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My Asus Zenwatch 1 got an update this morning. It was not 2.0.

Can't tell if anything user facing changed at all.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Reminds me I can't figure out where my damned charger is for my zenwatch I have the charger for my urbane2 but my zen charger walked away (I'm not rich I got both for less than a used urbane2 costs on Amazon and the urbane was worn about 5 times.)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 8, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lowen SoDium posted:

My Asus Zenwatch 1 got an update this morning. It was not 2.0.

Can't tell if anything user facing changed at all.

Nothing will have changed, it would just have been the April security update

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I had to factory reset my ZW3 and the loving thing is stuck on fahrenheit for temperatures. I've set it to celsius in the Android Wear app, Zenwatch Manager app, and the watch face app. What the gently caress?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had to factory reset my ZW3 and the loving thing is stuck on fahrenheit for temperatures. I've set it to celsius in the Android Wear app, Zenwatch Manager app, and the watch face app. What the gently caress?
In what sense is it stuck? Where exactly are you seeing Fahrenheit temperatures? Android doesn't have a system -wide settings for for temperature units so it's basically down to the specific app to decide.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Finally got the 2 update for my Huawei watch and it's pretty nice, although it's a bit janky getting around. Would be nice if they could smooth out the interface transitions a bit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

In what sense is it stuck? Where exactly are you seeing Fahrenheit temperatures? Android doesn't have a system -wide settings for for temperature units so it's basically down to the specific app to decide.

I'm seeing it on the watch face

I have set it to celsius

This is only a problem after I reset the watch, it worked fine prior

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

because i'm a retarded childless nerd manchild with disposable income : went to the Verizon store and picked up a Wear24 after work. When your cell plan includes like 5 people, 5 bucks additional plus taxes and fees is insignificant.

interestingly, it doesn't ship with android wear 2.0.. but ... a system update over the course of the next hour remedied the situation.

Pros :
looks decent. good size.
smooth as silk, super fast. no delays in anything.

Cons :
meh rubber strap, which is screwed in. little hope for better at this point.
setup *implies* i need to use verizon's messaging app for the number syncing / calling over LTE. will be screwing around over the next week.
super weak vibration motor

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there a good watch that is relatively free from a plan and syncs with my phone, or do I need to get an LTE watch to do anything remotely helpful? I need a watch for my life to function and would like it to be a smart watch, but reviews have been kinda unhelpful. The Gear S3 looks like what I'd like, but I dunno about not having Android Wear 2.0.

Anyone got any good side by sides of the new stuff that's out or want to sell me on a device? I know this is vague.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Wristband on my ZW3 broke last week, right around the pin connector. Is Asus still requiring people to send the whole unit back for broken bands?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

Is there a good watch that is relatively free from a plan and syncs with my phone, or do I need to get an LTE watch to do anything remotely helpful? I need a watch for my life to function and would like it to be a smart watch, but reviews have been kinda unhelpful. The Gear S3 looks like what I'd like, but I dunno about not having Android Wear 2.0.

Anyone got any good side by sides of the new stuff that's out or want to sell me on a device? I know this is vague.

There's a lot of good (sounding) watches announced but not out yet. You don't have to get an LTE model, in fact unless you intend to use it as a fitness tracker (don't do this, AW devices suck at actually tracking fitness) I can't imagine why anyone would.

I would say if you're cheap to track down a closeout deal on a Huawei or Moto 360 second generation or stick around through summer and see if any of the announced watches are any good.

A lot of people like their Zenwatches too, but I would say they sit in that awkward spot of still expensive but not necessarily cutting edge anymore.

You should probably just look at them styling first and see what you like then ask about whether they're any good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

you can pick up a zenwatch 2 from amazon for around $80 as a refurb, I grabbed one as a backup / second watch and I'd say it's an okay smartwatch, screen isn't spectacular, has a decent battery life (NO clue what AW2.0 will do to it).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Quidthulhu posted:

You definitely do not need to buy a watch with LTE connectivity. On the other hand Android Wear is in a weird place right now where Wear 2.0 devices are only just beginning to roll out. Also some existing devices are getting the 2.0 update but you have to figure out when a particular device is getting it and if you are OK with a last-year's-model.

Basically wait if you can, otherwise get any watch with Wear 2.0 and good reviews. Possibly some kind of Zenwatch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tater_salad posted:

you can pick up a zenwatch 2 from amazon for around $80 as a refurb, I grabbed one as a backup / second watch and I'd say it's an okay smartwatch, screen isn't spectacular, has a decent battery life (NO clue what AW2.0 will do to it).

My girlfriend just picked up one of these on that deal. It sure is ugly but yeah, functionally it's more or less fine. I'm a little jealous it has a speaker and my 360/2 doesn't but man, those looks...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kickstarter to give the Zenwatch 3 replaceable bands

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

ok now what the gently caress. the single button on this thing no longer opens up the apps list. it does everything else it's supposed to, but I can't open the apps list. cool.

there's no setting anywhere for what the button does. i've rebooted the watch. guess next step is factory wipe.

.. factory reset did the trick. for now.

UPDATE : so : everything was fine until i went in and did some updates on the watch from google play. It happened again. Though, i've noticed i can get the app list if i press the button FOUR Times. wtf. now to uninstall the updates individually until it works properly again. glad it's a slow day at work.

another update : Android Wear. When "Android Wear" app on the watch updated, that's what caused it.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 12, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm seeing it on the watch face

I have set it to celsius

This is only a problem after I reset the watch, it worked fine prior

If anyone cares, I found the fix for this. It was because after the factory reset of my Pixel, the device language was solely set to English (US). This actually overrides the temperature unit setting in Android Wear. I changed it to English (Canada) (or UK would work too) and it immediately updated to Celsius.

In short, gently caress your dumb country and your dumb backwater measurement systems

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You'll pry Fahrenheit from my cold (approximately 70°), dead hands.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

In short, gently caress your dumb country and your dumb backwater measurement systems

Also gently caress Vancouver being 54F/12C in goddamn mid May.

Still no 2.0 for Urbane 2...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone else notice android fit on their watch be weird with steps? Mine was on 8000 or so, I went for a walk and it went up to 8700 and then dropped back to 8400. If I go for another walk then similar up/down oscillations happen.

The Huawei step app has the count at ~10500...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to prevent upcoming calendar appointments from keeping a card around but still get a notification at whatever time the reminder for the event is set?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Woooooo :unsmith:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/16/android-wear-2-0-now-rolling-zenwatch-3/

Awwwww :smith:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/15/asus-reportedly-done-android-wear-zenwatch-line/

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Quidthulhu posted:

Going to continue to fanboy the gear s3. My job does everything through google and I have no problem with the Tizen platform. I can't think of anything I would want my watch to do that I can't make it do. The battery life is awesome. It looks awesome. Lots of watch skins. It tracks my runs well.

poo poo rules.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Does anyone have any idea how to get Google Fit on Wear to actually sync with a google account? Mine says it's linked to my google account but no data shows up on the web.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
My only complaints about the Gear S3 are that S Voice is trash, and I wish I could have Google Now on it, and the lack of voice reply for SMS apps that aren't Samsung's Messages.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

iajanus posted:

Does anyone have any idea how to get Google Fit on Wear to actually sync with a google account? Mine says it's linked to my google account but no data shows up on the web.

Mine synced automatically.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Mine synced automatically.

Mine says 'syncing' when you open the app but nothing happens. It's on AW2.0 but connected to an iphone, I would have expected it to use wifi to just connect directly to the web (considering it says it's connected to my account) but knowing google's usual lazy fuckery and complete lack of support who knows?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

iajanus posted:

Mine says 'syncing' when you open the app but nothing happens. It's on AW2.0 but connected to an iphone, I would have expected it to use wifi to just connect directly to the web (considering it says it's connected to my account) but knowing google's usual lazy fuckery and complete lack of support who knows?

Do you have multiple google accounts? It'll sync to whatever is your primary one on your watch, which may or may not be the same one as your phone in AW 2.0.

Go to settings -> personalization -> accounts on the watch to make sure the one you want is first on the list.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

My only complaints about the Gear S3 are that S Voice is trash, and I wish I could have Google Now on it, and the lack of voice reply for SMS apps that aren't Samsung's Messages.

It's supposed to be getting bixby, so that's a bit of an improvement over plain s voice.

Now they just need to get a smaller s3, the size of the s2 classic, so those of us with tiny bird wrists don't have a comically oversized watch. its the only thing holding me back from the s3.

I'm tempted to get a fossil q wander, but i'd rather have the s3. Tizen's kinda in a better place than Wear right now.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 23, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you have multiple google accounts? It'll sync to whatever is your primary one on your watch, which may or may not be the same one as your phone in AW 2.0.

Go to settings -> personalization -> accounts on the watch to make sure the one you want is first on the list.

I do, and the account I want is top of the list :/

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
My Timex Weekender got loving iced by my toddler a few weeks back. I got the strap soaked playing with her in her pool and left it to dry on a patio chair. She found it and took it to the firepit and just smashed the poo poo out of it with rocks. Naturally, I decided to get a smart watch to replace it, because I'm retarded.

Today I ordered a refurbished Zenwatch 2 for $80, in gunmetal and brown leather. I love watches, and I think non-mechanical watches are stupid as gently caress, but I'm curious to see if there is any real utility in smart watches. It looks like several of you have owned the ZW2. What should I know about it? Is the new Wear software going to make it a loving brick already?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

My Timex Weekender got loving iced by my toddler a few weeks back. I got the strap soaked playing with her in her pool and left it to dry on a patio chair. She found it and took it to the firepit and just smashed the poo poo out of it with rocks. Naturally, I decided to get a smart watch to replace it, because I'm retarded.

Today I ordered a refurbished Zenwatch 2 for $80, in gunmetal and brown leather. I love watches, and I think non-mechanical watches are stupid as gently caress, but I'm curious to see if there is any real utility in smart watches. It looks like several of you have owned the ZW2. What should I know about it? Is the new Wear software going to make it a loving brick already?

No way to tell what the new software will do since none of us have it.

I find it's about as good as any other Wear device in my experience. My girlfriend's ZW2 seems to have far worse battery life than my Moto 360/2 but aside from that it's not bad at $80. As far as performance goes it seems just about as good or bad as my Moto, but from what I can tell all Android Wear devices seem to just feel pokey. Maybe I'm not using the right ones but it seems like sometimes they're all slow to wake and or respond to touches and other times they're fine.

Honestly I get a lot of utility out of my 360 and I'm happy with it even at the price I paid, but I can definitely see how a notification screen isn't worth $400 to most people.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My ZW2 gets good better life (better than my urbane lte second edition). It's not great but not bad and for $80 it's not a bad watch.. I picked one up from Amazon as a refurbished one a month ago and have minor complaints but nothing major

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
For $80 it ain't bad. I think that's about my limit on something like this though.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

As far as performance goes it seems just about as good or bad as my Moto, but from what I can tell all Android Wear devices seem to just feel pokey. Maybe I'm not using the right ones but it seems like sometimes they're all slow to wake and or respond to touches and other times they're fine.

This is how my ZW3 behaves. It's nice but sometimes I feel like an idiot just waiting for it to do something like tell me the loving time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

This is how my ZW3 behaves. It's nice but sometimes I feel like an idiot just waiting for it to do something like tell me the loving time.

I do use ambient mode so getting the time is the one thing that does work all the time but literally any other task is a crapshoot. Opening my 2FA tokens for work? Might be instant, might have to tap four times and wait ten seconds, who knows?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I do use ambient mode so getting the time is the one thing that does work all the time but literally any other task is a crapshoot. Opening my 2FA tokens for work? Might be instant, might have to tap four times and wait ten seconds, who knows?

I use ambient mode too but it's impossible to see in direct sunlight.

Also I can't seem to figure out ambient mode. By the time I'm raising my wrist to look at the watch I always seem to be waiting for it to display the time as if it's transitioning from ambient to "regular just on" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I ordered an LG Watch Sport today. I suspect this was dumb, but I thought it might make a good running watch. I even have a data sim for it thanks to Project Fi.

I'll report back once I've used it a bit.