Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol AssCreed Unity is so badly programmed you can't enter rest mode without closing it. I've never seen a game do that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

The story is super interesting imo. The characters aren't mind blowing but they get the job done and Aloy is very likable.

My problem with the "story" is that it's mostly just world building and exposition. The characters have potential, so maybe they can actually do something with them and come up with a interesting story for the sequel but the combat mechanics are fun enough that it doesn't really matter cuz I'll play it regardless

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Super tempted to pick up Dark Souls 2 on sale. Loved DeS, DS1 and BB but dropped and traded in DS2 for the PS3 sometime after getting to Draglic Castle I think. I seem to remember all the environments looking awful and the bosses were kinda boring. Are the improvements + added dlc worth like, $18?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DLC is the best part of DS2 but if you didn't like the base game, SotFS isn't different enough to change your mind.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fume Knight is one of my favorite bosses in the entire Soulsborne catalog but I dunno if the base of DS2 was worth getting to him.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

After messing around with a handful of games on pro with pro patches/boost mode I can safely say I couldn't spot the difference on any of them with a gun to my head. Still no regrets. might be a different story a year from now and it's nice how quiet and cool it runs. It's just sort of funny how marginal the performance bump is. Basically nothing. At least on a 1080p display. I honestly couldn't really tell the difference on my friends 4K either though.

I was wondering about that since you said you can't see a difference before. I can't imagine. Do you have a strong prescription or something? Getting laser eye surgery definitely made me even more of a resolution/graphics whore.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The DLC is the best part of DS2 but if you didn't like the base game, SotFS isn't different enough to change your mind.

yeah kinda what I figured. Might just put that money toward HZD or Nioh and just play BB or DeS again.

revolther
May 27, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Maybe it's because I've been playing Forza Horizon 3 at 4k/100+fps but GT Sport looks like rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsNNTNWwkDU
The forest looked really pretty in that Forza video, till you noticed all the textures popping in 5 car lengths ahead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

Personally I liked HZD so much more than Neir it's not even worth comparing. It's pretty much neck and neck with Zelda though.

In the end I found Neir:A pretty drat enjoyable but I find the level of praise baffling tbh. I appreciate the weird poo poo it does but it's a C+ game through and through.

I feel the same way just sub in Horizon for Nier.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JBP posted:

Streamers are really enjoying the scourge by the looks of things and beating up human enemies assisted by exo suits and poo poo. Might be ok even though the setting doesn't really excite me.

Jimquisition and Giant Bomb were both pretty positive on it, and they seem to align with how I feel about new releases most of the time. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and see how reviews play out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't have any hopes put on The Surge but I'm willing to give it a chance if it turns well. Hell, I'm not a fan of LoTF but had some good stuff covered in all that garbage (shield bashing and rushing was fun to be honest).

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I have a weird issue. I was playing Persona 5 earlier just fine until I got called away to do something else. Came back to it and my L1 button is now constantly activated. I've reset the console and tried reloading the save but L1 is just in a constant state of being pressed.

The actual button on the controller is clicking just fine and nothing feels broken so I'm not entirely sure what's causing this. Any suggestions?

This happened to me & I looked for fixes but wound up buying a new controller.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Clamknuckle posted:

I hope it isn't haunted.

With roaches

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Whelp I meant to spend my sunday morning giving Nier a second chance but I ended up trophy hunting in Horizon instead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's a lengthy and really easy to miss sidequest in Horizon called An Acquired Taste that you should definitely check out if you haven't already.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

lol AssCreed Unity is so badly programmed you can't enter rest mode without closing it. I've never seen a game do that before.
Unity is a pretty old game for the system, and the PS4 didn't even have suspend/resume at that point, I don't think? Wouldn't be surprised if they never patched it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

For some craaaazy reason a lot of people lately are fixated on the end of the world and their own imminent and inevitable deaths

But I feel fine!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akuma posted:

Unity is a pretty old game for the system, and the PS4 didn't even have suspend/resume at that point, I don't think? Wouldn't be surprised if they never patched it.

I've played a bunch of older games, some that never even got a patch, and none of them made me close the game for rest mode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I was wondering about that since you said you can't see a difference before. I can't imagine. Do you have a strong prescription or something? Getting laser eye surgery definitely made me even more of a resolution/graphics whore.

Where did you get prescribed your placebo? maybe it could help me convince myself I'm seeing things that aren't real like you are able to. Or does best buy just give you a free bottle every time you spend $1000?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Where did you get prescribed your placebo? maybe it could help me convince myself I'm seeing things that aren't real like you are able to. Or does best buy just give you a free bottle every time you spend $1000?

If one cannot see the difference between 4k and 1080p on a 55" TV, one probably has some eye issues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

If one cannot see the difference between 4k and 1080p on a 55" TV, one probably has some eye issues.

Or you're sitting way too far away.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can see it on true 4K video no problem. Sitting 10 feet away on an upscaled 4K game? Not really. I can see a difference if I get closer to the TV than I would ever need to be.

I'm mostly talking about performance improvements with patches and boost mode though since I have a 1080p tv. Like, I only tried a few games with boost mode but like, bloodborne has zero improvement. TF2 and HZD both look identical to PSpoor versions with their pro support, but they both ran great to begin with. VR games look the same.

Like, it's fine I wasn't really expecting a huge difference but people are just fooling themselves that Games look that different on a pro. HDR is the most noticeable thing. More than 4K support.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

HZD has no PS Pro Mode, all you get is HDR which is really good. Bloodborne gets a more stable frame rate thanks to boost mode, it's noticeable on some parts, negligible on others. Some VR Games are noticeable better on a pro, that one is highly game dependant

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uhmmm it runs 2160p checkerboard on the Pro

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uhmmm it runs 2160p checkerboard on the Pro

It does? Then I misrembered the two modes it had, my bad. Loved the HDR in HZD, tho

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it does look really nice with HDR.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HZD has a couple extra PS4 Pro features besides just 4k, like improved AO and texture filtering. They're really minor though and the game runs great on both versions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

I started Syndicate and got a train and a grappling hook. Game seems good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Super tempted to pick up Dark Souls 2 on sale. Loved DeS, DS1 and BB but dropped and traded in DS2 for the PS3 sometime after getting to Draglic Castle I think. I seem to remember all the environments looking awful and the bosses were kinda boring. Are the improvements + added dlc worth like, $18?

Just play 3. I still like 2 but if you burnt out before SotFS isn't gonna change your min

edit:

MechaSeinfeld posted:

yeah kinda what I figured. Might just put that money toward HZD or Nioh and just play BB or DeS again.

Yeah why not play 3? I like it better than 1 honestly (but second to Bloodborne)

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 14, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

Just play 3. I still like 2 but if you burnt out before SotFS isn't gonna change your min

edit:

Yeah why not play 3? I like it better than 1 honestly (but second to Bloodborne)

Totally. Just ran through 3 again with all the DLC and it's so good. After this last run it's my favorite Souls game next to Bloodborne. I really think the detractors were just tired of Souls and blaming the game for it, because it's really top tier.

I'm trying to plat SOFS again and it's really hard to play after 3. The environments and animations and art direction just look drat ugly and the combat feels so whiffy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
SotFS is an awesome name, but it's actually a worse version of the game in several ways.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I really think the detractors were just tired of Souls and blaming the game for it, because it's really top tier.

Nah

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like the idea of the total enemy encounter overhaul but in practice the changes weren't that fun. except for the new pursuer fights, which were cool as hell. the other changes were good tho, like some of the item placements are a lot better

kinda weird that they didn't touch the dlc stuff at all for sotfs but it's probably for the better tbh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like the idea of the total enemy encounter overhaul but in practice the changes weren't that fun. except for the new pursuer fights, which were cool as hell. the other changes were good tho, like some of the item placements are a lot better

kinda weird that they didn't touch the dlc stuff at all for sotfs but it's probably for the better tbh

Sotfs felt like a Dark souls 2 romhack to me. Some changes were good and some are pretty baffling.

The pursuer fights are definitely really cool though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Sotfs felt like a Dark souls 2 romhack to me. Some changes were good and some are pretty baffling.

The pursuer fights are definitely really cool though.

Most egregious is that they just shoved in MORE enemies in weird places. Like, they take out the big monsters from the watery path leading to the Lost Sinner; replace it with a miniboss encounter from before. Makes more sense, lore-wise, and changes that whole area in an interesting way.

NG+, they just bring back the original line-up of enemies AND the miniboss is still there, making it next to impossible to win beyond cheesing from the doorway with arrows.

They made the Undead Crypt even worse too, the lead-up to Velstadt is even more of an obnoxious gauntlet. They also no longer made the best armor set in the game a guaranteed loot drop/store purchase, but istead you have to farm it off red phantoms and if you use an Ascetic to respawn them, you also power up the super bonus boss, whom you now need to kill to get the super chocolate fudge-stuffed new ending.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What I meant to say was "tired of dark souls or just has bad taste and is dumb"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What I meant to say was "tired of dark souls or just has bad taste and is dumb"

I'm glad we cleared that up. I'm definitely not tired of souls games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I started HZD.

This game is really drat good.

You can see where they're totally cribbing heavily from Witcher 3 and the new Tomb Raider games in a lot of ways, though... still, it's a marriage of styles that works so goddamn well. :swoon:

EDIT: Also who is gonna start playing Diablo 3 again now that they're adding Necromancer and there's all this crazy Season stuff?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In all seriousness, I don't agree with almost any of the complaints about 3 and think it's fantastic but I know I'm not going to change any minds at this point either.

I find it baffling that there's a small group that like 2 the best, but people are gonna like what they like. Those people must be looking for something very different in a souls game than I am though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like 2 better than 3 but De and 1 are best. Bloodborne is better than all Souls though.