Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

forkboy84 posted:

Personally I'm listening to Burzum on a loop, but same overall idea.

Well it was more a (bad) joke about how the UK will die in June

But good to know you're into music by a dude who makes racist RPGs that use papyrus font I guess :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lightning Lord posted:

But good to know you're into music by a dude who makes racist RPGs that use papyrus font I guess :discourse:

He self described as a nazi, I think we can go beyond font usage

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This is very very good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Just preparing himself for the next few years.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Racist AND a Nazi? I thought metal was all about PLUR.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Don't let them claim metal

Also if you were joking back at me about Nazi music forkboy my bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Fonts were very important to Nazis, but consistency was not. See the complete about face from banning Jewish publishers from using Fractur so as to deny them it's Germanic essence in the 1930s to declaing the whole of the Gothic and Schwabacher scripts as a conspiracy by 16th century Jews to hold Germany back and banning it in general.

I think the only fonts remaining that Nazis are definitely allowed to use are Impact, Papyrus, and the one that the Daily Mail uses for their masthead, which is the same font that Hitler used in propaganda during the transition away from the densely packed Schwabacher to a more readable font.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hurrah for the Blackshirts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lightning Lord posted:

It was a reference to the dude from Death In June also being a racist poo poo my good man (or at least he was. He might have grown up & stopped thinking Strasser was someone to look up to). Although both bands are good.

The great thing about the internet is you can listen to good music by racists without financially supporting them. I guess you could do this in the tape trading days too but that took more effort.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMI2tIGi1Iw

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It was a reference to the dude from Death In June also being a racist poo poo my good man (or at least he was. He might have grown up & stopped thinking Strasser was someone to look up to). Although both bands are good.

The great thing about the internet is you can listen to good music by racists without financially supporting them. I guess you could do this in the tape trading days too but that took more effort.

piracy is stealing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Intellectual property is theft.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I disagree I think musicians should be paid while we wait for full communism to arrive

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should be fairly compensated for their labor when they do gigs. They shouldn't get to amass a catalog of property that's usually optioned out to a label as part of a system that does little to nothing to protect smaller artists.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What about performers of other people's music? Or stuff like the Verve never getting a cent for Bittersweet Symphony because they used a Rolling Stones sample? Or Men at Work getting done for using the melody from kookaburra sits in the old gum tree in 'down under' decades later when the original composer is dead?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 14, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Copyright lasting for 70 years after the death of the artist would be hilarious if it were in a work of (public domain) fiction. As it is, it's a needless knotweed on the creative arts. Compare that to 15-20 years from filing for a patent on a useful invention or improvement.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Copyright lasting for 70 years after the death of the artist would be hilarious if it were in a work of (public domain) fiction. As it is, it's a needless knotweed on the creative arts. Compare that to 15-20 years from filing for a patent on a useful invention or improvement.

See as examples the estates of Arthur Conan Doyle and JRR Tolkien still shutting people down as often as possible for using 'their' property, including going after a bar I used to occasionally frequent in Southampton for being called The Hobbit.

I hope every one of those parasites loses every penny they've made off the backs of better people's legacies.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'd be happy with a compromise of paying for 15-20 years after something is published but I think forkboy would still fall foul of this

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guavanaut posted:

The keyword here is 'useful'.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
gently caress it's going to be funny when Mickey Mouse falls into the public domain and we revert back to sane copyright laws. I mean it has to happen eventually right? No one can seriously defend that poo poo forever?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

The keyword here is 'useful'.
Modern tech culture and patent trolling lawyers seem determined to stretch that requirement to the breaking point.

Art and other things traditionally covered under copyright rather than patent can be useful too, a drum break or vocal sample can be a useful asset to another artist. How that tends to work out in practice is that the poor bluesman who cannot defend his assets gets no protection whereas the large label gets to amass creative 'property' and harass people using decades old melodies.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress it's going to be funny when Mickey Mouse falls into the public domain and we revert back to sane copyright laws. I mean it has to happen eventually right? No one can seriously defend that poo poo forever?
Lawyers can.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

I'd be happy with a compromise of paying for 15-20 years after something is published but I think forkboy would still fall foul of this

Actually the last of the 4 good Burzum albums came out in 1996. Only madmen & completionists need his prison & post-prison releases. Though it doesn't actually matter because stealing from Nazis is a victimless crime.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Modern tech culture and patent trolling lawyers seem determined to stretch that requirement to the breaking point.

Art and other things traditionally covered under copyright rather than patent can be useful too, a drum break or vocal sample can be a useful asset to another artist. How that tends to work out in practice is that the poor bluesman who cannot defend his assets gets no protection whereas the large label gets to amass creative 'property' and harass people using decades old melodies.

Lawyers can.

Yes but to return to the point at issue I think ppl should pay for music they listen to even if they claim not to agree with the politics of the musician

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Breath Ray posted:

Yes but to return to the point at issue I think ppl should pay for music they listen to even if they claim not to agree with the politics of the musician

Just youtube or Spotify it (tbh I do this for music I have on CD anyway).

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Metal is for massive nerds anyway, so is anime

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How about metal songs about anime?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Metal, anime, student politics, monty python and blackadder, Jeremy Corbyn, computer games.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hoops posted:

Metal, anime, student politics, monty python and blackadder, Jeremy Corbyn, computer games.

But enough about your OKCupid profile,

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hoops posted:

I would vote for this manifesto.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I would vote for this manifesto.

I was just gonna say, these are winning policies.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

Get robot wars and doctor who on there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hoops posted:

All of these things except anime & student politics are good. Please don't besmirch ultra cool dude things like Crusader Kings & the last Celeste album by placing them in the same category as tentacle rape cartoons.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The RCN members vote on whether they want to strike over poor pay has a pretty unanimous decisions of yes.

Of those who voted

4 out of 5 were for industrial action

9 outta 10 for action short of a strike

About bloody time, imo

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/14/nurses-vote-support-ballot-for-strike-action-low-pay

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Get robot wars and doctor who on there.
Oh aye yeah, them as well

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Anime is bad, but video games: theyre good.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Emily Thornberry did very well on Marr today. She sounded authoritative, didn't get flustered, defended Corbyn from repeated attacks and avoided obvious bear traps.

I've never really considered her as a potential leadership candidate before, but I definitely liked what I saw.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

All of these things except anime & student politics are good. Please don't besmirch ultra cool dude things like Crusader Kings & the last Celeste album by placing them in the same category as tentacle rape cartoons.

I'm sorry, it is not allowed to like both Burzum and Celeste. You must choose your side: TRV CVLT or false poser who is destroying black metal.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Had a blood test for tomorrow cancelled because Essex NHS is still buggered

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Thornberry is a very good speaker, she's been mooted before because of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Thornberry is a very good speaker, she's been mooted before because of that

Reminder that Miliband's Labour threw her under a bus to agree that Farage and the Tories had a very good point about her and Labour hating the working class

• Locked thread