Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

I'm sorry, it is not allowed to like both Burzum and Celeste. You must choose your side: TRV CVLT or false poser who is destroying black metal.

Oh, definitely false poser. I don't even own a denim jacket with Darkthrone & Bathory patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Thornberry is a very good speaker, she's been mooted before because of that

She can sound good but she also often gets a case of the Abbotts. I'm on the fence.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IDK I think the main news story from that might just be how she swore. The ambush was sweet though.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 14, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Reminder that Miliband's Labour threw her under a bus to agree that Farage and the Tories had a very good point about her and Labour hating the working class

To be fair my annoyance over that probably contributes to me liking her. It was unbelievable that Miliband would sack a shadow minister for a picture with the caption 'Image from #Rochester' because it conveyed a 'sense of disrespect'. It was a PR disaster and really showed how pathetically Labour would try to court the approval of completely hostile newspapers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, definitely false poser. I don't even own a denim jacket with Darkthrone & Bathory patches.

It's the right choice, cos Celeste own and it's a big regret of mine that I was too hungover to make it to their show when they played Temples in Bristol.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jabby posted:

To be fair my annoyance over that probably contributes to me liking her. It was unbelievable that Miliband would sack a shadow minister for a picture with the caption 'Image from #Rochester' because it conveyed a 'sense of disrespect'. It was a PR disaster and really showed how pathetically Labour would try to court the approval of completely hostile newspapers.

That was just a double disaster because it resulted in 'What happens when I see a white van? I feel respect'. What made it a disaster and a sacking offence though was that rather than just make an apology and let the whole thing fade away, Thornberry doubled down on her comments. That's a) poor instincts, and b) means she'll never get the white working class vote that half of labour's core.

The next Labour leader can't be one of the Islington set. They all have a crippling ineligibility of some sort.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

That was just a double disaster because it resulted in 'What happens when I see a white van? I feel respect'. What made it a disaster and a sacking offence though was that rather than just make an apology and let the whole thing fade away, Thornberry doubled down on her comments. That's a) poor instincts, and b) means she'll never get the white working class vote that half of labour's core.

The next Labour leader can't be one of the Islington set. They all have a crippling ineligibility of some sort.

I can't actually remember what Thornberry said at the time. How do you double down on 'Image from #Rochester', it seems about as neutral a comment as you can get?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Speaking as a member of the white working class, please don't speak for me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
White van men are cunts

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jabby posted:

I can't actually remember what Thornberry said at the time. How do you double down on 'Image from #Rochester', it seems about as neutral a comment as you can get?

It's a dog whistle sneer, which everyone noticed immediately. Her explanation was "It was a house covered in British flags. I've never seen anything like it before. It had three huge flags covering the whole house. I thought it was remarkable. I've never seen a house completely covered in flags."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Agreed she should have just called the guy a oval office like he is. What sort of oval office hangs 3 flags ffs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Alchenar posted:

It's a dog whistle sneer, which everyone noticed immediately. Her explanation was "It was a house covered in British flags. I've never seen anything like it before. It had three huge flags covering the whole house. I thought it was remarkable. I've never seen a house completely covered in flags."

That's because people who drape their house in flags are complete bellends.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I haven't seen a house completely covered in flags either. It is entirely notable and frankly it is bizarre behaviour. Never even saw anything like that living in Glasgow, a place where flags are quite important to certain groups, to an extent I'd assumed was second only to Belfast. It looks like a house on the Shankill Road. This seems the most tepid doubling down ever unless you are The Sun or The Mail & are intentionally looking for reasons to be mad at Labour MPs.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jose posted:

Agreed she should have just called the guy a oval office like he is. What sort of oval office hangs 3 flags ffs

It might happen next time she is on Marr.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

also lol

https://twitter.com/swrain79/status...D166%23lastpost

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Oberleutnant posted:

Anime is bad, but video games: theyre good.

But if their anime and video games?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also worth noting is that she liked to tweet about buildings and interesting things she saw.

https://storify.com/shivmalik/emily-thornberry-tweets-alot-about-buildings-and-s

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Alchenar posted:

"It's a dog whistle sneer" says person who unironically makes reference to "the white working class"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Alchenar posted:

She tweeted dozens of images that day with similar captions because she was out campaigning and taking pictures as she went. It was not a sneer until the media made it one.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It was a timing thing as well cause it happened at the same time Reckless won the rochester byelection for UKIP

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 14, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Alchenar posted:

By 'everyone noticed' you mean Cameron and Farage saw an opportunity for some lip-trembling populist outrage, which Labour basically copped to - how's that good politics?

Her entire Twitter feed leading up to that pic was more of the same, lots of snapshots of the communities she was canvassing, including other pictures of houses with stuff hanging off them (someone had a sheet with something written on it, and she'd put a comment to a friend with 'this reminded me of you' or something like that). In context there wasn't anything particularly notable about that one tweet, unless you wanted to read something into it to push a very specific story. Which is exactly what Labour's rivals did, and they didn't even try to argue

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also worth noting is that she liked to tweet about buildings and interesting things she saw.

https://storify.com/shivmalik/emily-thornberry-tweets-alot-about-buildings-and-s

https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/472289666461601792

Look at this dogwhistle sneering at Britane's proud millers

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 14, 2017

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
They stitched her right up with that photo, it hit exactly like they wanted it to. But that's what the press will do really, I'm not sure what's being argued here

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
an only slightly tangential thought:

it's been a loooooong time since a Labour MP could do things like this

quote:

The Labour canvassers talked with awe of their candidate's encounter with a send-them-home voter the previous day. "The difference between you and me," said Mr Marshall-Andrews, "is that you are a racist and I am not."

"What they do for us in the war, then?" asked the man, and Mr Marshall-Andrews told him about the Indian and West Indian regiments. "While we're at it, what did you do?"

"I'm too young."

"Well, you don't look it. And under no circumstances are you allowed to vote for me. You will not vote for me!"

and still ride comfortably to victory over the Tory candidate (he went on to defeat Mark Reckless comfortably, by 49% to 39%)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"The jury's still out on Rafiq Hariri" claims Stuart Rain

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hoops posted:

They stitched her right up with that photo, it hit exactly like they wanted it to. But that's what the press will do really, I'm not sure what's being argued here

What's being argued is that Labour was poo poo for basically going 'uhhh, uhhh, yeah loving Thornberry, we'll get rid of her!' and admitting to the lazy accusations. All that did was feed the narrative that Labour was elitist and out of touch and just pandering to the working class to get votes

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

baka kaba posted:

What's being argued is that Labour was poo poo for basically going 'uhhh, uhhh, yeah loving Thornberry, we'll get rid of her!' and admitting to the lazy accusations. All that did was feed the narrative that Labour was elitist and out of touch and just pandering to the working class to get votes

To be fair that narrative did describe New Labour pretty well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

*extremely David Cameron voice* Ed Miliband's appearance proves he is out of touch with ordinary working people

*Ed appears hours later, head shaved and wearing a potato sack* h-hell yea I'm working class

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Benjamin Arthur posted:

To be fair that narrative did describe New Labour pretty well.

unfortunately, at the time of the incident it was the Labour left candidate actively trying to to win a GE; said candidate did not need more unforced errors from subordinates. Farage and co. were seizing upon it to bash Miliband.

Thornberry's resignation statement was straightforward and strikes me as about right:

quote:

Earlier today I sent a tweet which has caused offence to some people. That was never my intention and I have apologised. However, I will not let anything distract from Labour’s chance to win the coming general election.

I have therefore tonight told Ed Miliband I will resign from the shadow cabinet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

*extremely David Cameron voice* Ed Miliband's appearance proves he is out of touch with ordinary working people

*Ed appears hours later, head shaved and wearing a potato sack* h-hell yea I'm working class

Be fair. Cameron would be on that throne surrounded by gold or whatever it was when he said it

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ronya posted:

unfortunately, at the time of the incident it was the Labour left candidate actively trying to to win a GE; said candidate did not need more unforced errors from subordinates. Farage and co. were seizing upon it to bash Miliband.

Thornberry's resignation statement was straightforward and strikes me as about right:

The whole thing would have blown over in 24 hours if Labour had simply responded truthfully, which is that she was tweeting a whole bunch of images and thought a house with three flags was noteworthy. No disrespect intended, only a moron would suggest a cabinet minister should step down over such a thing. That's what they should have done.

Instead Ed was so wrapped up with trying to 'win over' a press that any idiot could see was never going to give him any credit that he sacked (forced out) Thornberry in a disgraceful display of abandonment. He even agreed with the newspapers that smeared her, thus creating 'white van gate' and forever tarnishing her reputation as a politician.

In that light it quite makes sense that she ended up throwing her lot in with Corbyn.

EDIT:

Paddy Ashdown has been boldly making the case that Britain is stuffed with centrist voters that have no-one to turn to and desperately need someone to represent them. But they don't vote for the Lib Dems because reasons.

Paddy Ashdown posted:

Here is the point that really strikes me is that the vast majority, thousands, millions perhaps, of people who are moderate, who do believe in those quintessential British values, who represent what is the centre of gravity of our country, by the way, where elections are won, now don't find any party that they want to put their voice behind.

Now I would recommend them to vote Lib Dem but in their constituency that may not work to achieve whatever else they want to achieve.

jabby fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 14, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Went to a labour rally today which had Paul mason give a speech, really good and gave everyone a lot of energy.

Was thinking that this election might end IP with literally nobody happy - labour lose around 20 seats and the Tories gain around the same amount, which after all the hype about a 150 seat majority will be a disappointment. The SNP lose a few and the lib dems only pick up a handful. Every one goes home pretty disappointed.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Paddy Ashdown has been boldly making the case that Britain is stuffed with centrist voters that have no-one to turn to and desperately need someone to represent them. But they don't vote for the Lib Dems because reasons.
A lot of them are milliners waiting on him eating a single hat to prove his worth.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Someone has uploaded to youtube the entire BBC election night coverage of the 83, 92 and 97 elections. I'm trying to work out if I'm a big enough nerd to sit through 9 hours a time of coverage through the years.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/ruthdavidsonmsp/status/863663807859757056

https://twitter.com/thalestral/status/863690782972227584

Someone tell me again about how Ruth Davidson is one of the good ones.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
This is why Grammar schools need to be reinstated. Horrible comma placement.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This is why Grammar schools need to be reinstated. Horrible comma placement.

It's the inverted commas that are missing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Someone has uploaded to youtube the entire BBC election night coverage of the 83, 92 and 97 elections. I'm trying to work out if I'm a big enough nerd to sit through 9 hours a time of coverage through the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJX7FPhMJPw

watch this instead

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Alchenar posted:

It's the inverted commas that are missing.

Comma should also be after, 'but,' and, 'peace.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

jabby posted:

The whole thing would have blown over in 24 hours if Labour had simply responded truthfully, which is that she was tweeting a whole bunch of images and thought a house with three flags was noteworthy. No disrespect intended, only a moron would suggest a cabinet minister should step down over such a thing. That's what they should have done.

Instead Ed was so wrapped up with trying to 'win over' a press that any idiot could see was never going to give him any credit that he sacked (forced out) Thornberry in a disgraceful display of abandonment. He even agreed with the newspapers that smeared her, thus creating 'white van gate' and forever tarnishing her reputation as a politician.

it wouldn't have blown over - every subsequent campaign trail event on law-and-order issues would have the addendum "with the Shadow Attorney General Emily Thornberry, who is widely said to have etc etc. Mr Miliband has denied that these remarks were disrespectful."

the main people who can remember who a shadow cabinet member was a month ago are not marginal voters

• Locked thread