Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Homestar Runner posted:

But again, the problems with the DNC are deeply systemic. It's a system that's been completely turned over to the donors. The days of the Democratic Party representing anybody but the rich are looooooong gone. Expecting to just replace the current sitting bunch of bad seeds with "good" seeds, when the system itself is inherently corrupting and under the complete control of the ruling class, is going to result in endless years of zero progress and hapless flailing. Good luck with that.

You keep saying that Bernie got real close. Okay, well, the only thing that stopped Bernie from winning the nom was the DNC establishment itself. They'll do it again in 2020, and 2024, etc.

Even if by some miracle, a Bernie-crat actually got through (lol), the DNC would spin its wheels at hyperspeed and spend this person's entire term obstructing from within whilst claiming to be playing 4-D bipartisan chess with Republicans.

The only opportunity for actual progress is to build a third-party option from the ground-up, that isn't beholden to corporations, viable. Something like the Justice Democrats, or whatever.

its no surprise that people think that hand wringing and good intentions with time will make the DNC actually do something because that's exactly what democrats in government positions do

the democratic party willingly and with full cognisance of what they were doing alley opped the nomination under bernie's nose to give it to a right wing candidate with zero public appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
DNC voters in 2017 are like battered wives only instead of their husband saying he'll change, he's telling them that the beatings are technically legal lmao

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

The republican primary system came out looking squeaky clean, because it did not use a superdelagate system, nor did it have any sort of bias towards a candidate. As shown by Trump showing up out of nowhere and becoming the republican nominee despite the party elite speaking out publicly against Trump.

because the right realized cheating when ruin the party for a generation, the bernie/hillary feud will NEVER go away

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

the system is good if they did what they were put in place to do. the super delegates should've enshrined bernie as the candidate as the voters picked the weaker general election candidate (also them all pledging for clinton before the first primary already gave the illusion she had an insurmountable lead from the word go).
well yeah and tyranny is fine if you have an unbroken line of philosopher kings, but it never works out that way. installing a bunch of bureaucrats who exist explicitly to subvert the democratic process is just asking to get sizzled. founders of the democratic party, i say unto you (by way of the wendy's drive-thru): ditch the superdelegates and risk the occasional whoopsie as a cost of doing business!!!

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie

Pharohman777 posted:

The republican primary system came out looking squeaky clean, because it did not use a superdelagate system, nor did it have any sort of bias towards a candidate. As shown by Trump showing up out of nowhere and becoming the republican nominee despite the party elite speaking out publicly against Trump.

What's even more funny is it was squeaky clean until the DNC emails leaked, when it was revealed Hillary was urging the media to put Trump in the spot light so he would be the nominees. The DNC literally Russianed the election themselves!

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

yall literally aren't understanding the point here: the purpose and place of a democrat has varied wildly over the years and its membership is constantly in flux as is the republican party. That's from the voter to the elected level. in 2006 and 2008 when the democrats won majorities there were tons of republicans who changed affiliation over night despite not really changing a loving bit on policy. Bernie has never been a democrat and nearly won their nomination for president.

We, as people are more capable of taking the party away from the elite, and garnering votes with it, than ever sitting a single green party member in the house or senate.

And frankly i don't want a loving green in the house or senate, or the presidency. gently caress the greens. These parties in their obscurity have become fairly niche and attracted with them insanely toxic and unproductive people who are an extremely, insanely poor foundation for meaningful growth.

Like it or not, a low-information voter with left wing sympathies is not going to vote third party ever, but if you slap a democrat in front of even someone like jill stein, she suddenly becomes more viable. With the baggage of the pandering-to-nutjobs green party platform and base she's just a boat anchor on leftist politics but she makes a living being the "outsider" and these more substantial third parties are truly little more than a racket. Not that the dems are any better, but at least you can like, get a winning percentage of votes as a democrat.

It's just a title. That's it. If you're too proud to use the one title you can use to get winning votes and therefore affect things, then you deserve to lose.

I know leftists have a fetish for the underdog but i'm kind of bored of seeing good ideas losing because a bunch of people think voting for the PSL and plotting a revolution that will never happen is somehow more productive than trying to co-opt a party with a powerful brand it has startlingly little control over who uses it to their own ends.

every single complaint you've listed here, from pandering to fringe nutjobs to to being insanely toxic and ineffectual, can be attributed to both major parties. there are countless examples. the good ideas are losing for the same reason that people are turning to third parties: the establishment does not want to hear them and won't entertain them because in the end they are beholden to moneyed interests. your argument is literally "instead of wasting time building up a third party and trying to make it respectable, we should waste time trying to cut entrenched, insanely powerful and insanely wealthy special interests out of the "legitimate" parties (and ultimately fail in a public and hilarious fashion). like seriously, why do you think cutting the corruption out of the democratic party from the inside out is a less expensive, less time consuming and more worthwhile endeavor? has it occurred to you that, much like our currency, the only reason either party holds sway is because people keep trying to work within the rules they themselves have set? newsflash: it's not working because they just plain don't care and you will be throwing your time/money/sanity down a black hole as your heroes collectively vote to fellate the wealthy every single god drat time

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

basic hitler posted:

you're never taking down the two party system without controlling one of the two parties. it won't happen. the democratic party is nothing but the sum of its parts too, so the only way to do it is to get a large enough faction of people who ran as democrats who want to change. You'll never, ever, ever, ever EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get this done by voting for your third party of choice. It will never happen. Never. Ever. Never.

This is ignorant of US history where exactly that has happened multiple times.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 14, 2017

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm just diving into the last 3 posts of this thread but yeah parties change all the time. Rallying behind a vocal and less compromising movement can and does force mainstream politics to shift. I wasn't a fan of jill stein but it doesn't detract from a thirdy party as an idea, either. At this point the democratic party is literally a failed platform, that crumbled against an extremely weak candidate because their bureaucracy is corrupt and their motives nothing but self-serving. We can do better.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have one question to the people who are citing history that parties ca be destroyed and switched out in America: Did any of that happen after the advent of mass media?

This is the thing none of you are grasping. By and large, mass media leans Democratic. We all saw the DNC emails.

How is the Democratic party going to die when they basically have fully half the country by population on their side, a solid chunk of the media in their pocket that is perfectly happy to churn out what amounts to propaganda, etc?

There is a legitimate argument that things are a bit different now.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 14, 2017

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
because if there's one group of people who have proven they can be completely ineffectual, moronic dipshits who manage to pathetically lose everything, it's the Democratic party. there are no odds too great. With "half the country of the population on their side" and the mass media in their pocket, they still manage to overcome the odds and lose time and time again

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They're terrible at the actual politics. That's an opening.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That just means the Democrats are turning into a regional party.

When the region in question happens to mostly be composed of the wealthiest and most power-concentrated sections of the country, they look far from screwed.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Tallgeese posted:

I have one question to the people who are citing history that parties ca be destroyed and switched out in America: Did any of that happen after the advent of mass media?

This is the thing none of you are grasping. By and large, mass media leans Democratic. We all saw the DNC emails.

How is the Democratic party going to die when they basically have fully half the country by population on their side, a solid chunk of the media in their pocket that is perfectly happy to churn out what amounts to propaganda, etc?

There is a legitimate argument that things are a bit different now.

it's a good thing we are transitioning from the Atomic Age to the Information Age, we can use weaponized memes to undercut corporate media

the internet is a hell of a thing

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tallgeese posted:

Uh, they don't? They just lost a major election there guy and even though they get close to half the votes every time uh most of the nation doesn't vote.

Besides what is your point here really? "Don't hope for anything better, history is over this is what it is?" gently caress that.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 14, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VikingSkull posted:

it's a good thing we are transitioning from the Atomic Age to the Information Age, we can use weaponized memes to undercut corporate media

I thought alternative news sites were going to be rated and marked as unreliable by Facebook.

COMRADES posted:

Uh, they don't? They just lost a major election there guy and even though they get close to half the votes every time uh most of the nation doesn't vote.

Perception is reality. People tend to forget that last part.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

because they lose elections

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The existing two parties have been redefining themselves pretty thoroughly in the last century, which is probably a result of raw brand recognition. A change has to happen to one of the two real parties to reach people, but a party can be reshaped and people will make their choices around that. It's a big deal when that happens. The southern strategy may be the only clear cut example.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stexils posted:

they'll be the spunky underdog that doesn't actually have to accomplish anything to earn people's affection

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

they'll be the spunky underdog that doesn't actually have to accomplish anything to earn people's affection

not if they keep talking about nothing but russia

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Stexils posted:

They lose elections outside of their regional zones, yeah. Zones they don't actually care about and probably still don't care about.

COMRADES posted:

Besides what is your point here really? "Don't hope for anything better, history is over this is what it is?" gently caress that.

My point is that history only works as a guide when the conditions are similar. I'm saying they are not due to two things that were probably not present earlier:

1) Increased polarization and identification with the parties.

2) An entrenched propaganda arm with wide and constant penetration into the consciousness of the public, which while not trusted is still quite entrenched.

There was a third thing I was going to cite, but it slipped my mind.

I am saying this: Basic Hitler did nothing wrong.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

I thought alternative news sites were going to be rated and marked as unreliable by Facebook.

they are, but people are also noticing an inherent bias in large media sites in how they present such things

Twitter intentionally fucks with trending stories via autocorrect and hiding things that are problematic, and Youtube is cutting advertising to right wing and more progressive left wing channels

this wouldn't be an issue for them, except that the internet simply lets you bypass the main channels and create your own platforms if you so choose, in a much cheaper and more wide reaching way than print media, radio or television ever could hope to offer

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

Too bad most young internet users don't even go out and vote. Where The viewers of entrenched media outlets are all the olds that love to vote.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VikingSkull posted:

they are, but people are also noticing an inherent bias in large media sites in how the present such things

Twitter intentionally fucks with trending stories via autocorrect and hiding things that are problematic, and Youtube is cutting advertising to right wing and more progressive left wing channels

this wouldn't be an issue for them, except that the internet simply lets you bypass the main channels and create your own platforms if you so choose, in a much cheaper and more wide reaching way than print media, radio or television ever could hope to offer

I grant all of this, but you are counting on two things:

1) Most Americans not being lazy and actually seeking out the alternative news sites.

and

2) The exceptions to point 1 going out and voting.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Rasta_Al posted:

Too bad most young internet users don't even go out and vote. Where The viewers of entrenched media outlets are all the olds that love to vote.

Tallgeese posted:

I grant all of this, but you are counting on two things:

1) Most Americans not being lazy and actually seeking out the alternative news sites.

and

2) The exceptions to point 1 going out and voting.

how quickly we forget idiots touting stories like this

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

They lose elections outside of their regional zones, yeah. Zones they don't actually care about and probably still don't care about.

the democrats are a national party, if they don't care about those zones because they're outside their "region" then they won't have the seats to get anything done nationally either, as we've seen this past election. that's not a viable strategy and if they stick to it they will eventually die.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I will reserve judgment until I see the youth turnout analyses for 2016, but I see your point.

Stexils posted:

the democrats are a national party, if they don't care about those zones because they're outside their "region" then they won't have the seats to get anything done nationally either, as we've seen this past election. that's not a viable strategy and if they stick to it they will eventually die.

This is possible, but it won't be quick. It will be long and drawn out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

COMRADES posted:

This is ignorant of US history where exactly that has happened multiple times.

What examples are you thinking of? The biggest example that comes to mind is the Republican/Whig moment, but that required the Whigs to collapse first so that the Republicans could fill the void. When did we successfully break away from the two dominant party structure?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Tallgeese posted:

what the hell does it matter if they win their "zones," if the other party controls all three branches of government and can steamroll over anything on the state/county level while the democratic limply hold their dicks in their hands and whine?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the youth voting phenomenon is largely a chicken and egg thing. young people don't vote, so politicians don't push policies that benefit young people, so young people don't vote because there's nothing that helps them, etc. old people vote because they're on social security every month and politicans loving with that directly impacts the money they get.

have dems push student loan reform (actual reform, not the bullshit hillary was peddling) and see what turnout is then.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Stexils posted:

the youth voting phenomenon is largely a chicken and egg thing. young people don't vote, so politicians don't push policies that benefit young people, so young people don't vote because there's nothing that helps them, etc. old people vote because they're on social security every month and politicans loving with that directly impacts the money they get.

have dems push student loan reform (actual reform, not the bullshit hillary was peddling) and see what turnout is then.

what if I told you to pokemon go to the polls, would you vote then? please tell me in 3 emojiis or less

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Tato posted:

what the hell does it matter if they win their "zones," if the other party controls all three branches of government and can steamroll over anything on the state/county level while the democratic limply hold their dicks in their hands and whine?

Well, in that case we get increasingly shrill threats of Calexit.

Which I admit I kind of want to see for the comedy value.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

I will reserve judgment until I see the youth turnout analyses for 2016, but I see your point.

quote:

Our pre-election poll of Millennials ages 18-34 had Clinton 49% vs. Trump 28%, a 21-point preference for the Democratic candidate. The National Exit Poll suggests that the actual split in the election was 55% for Clinton to 37% for Trump (an 18-point gap) among youth aged 18-29.

Throughout the election season, our analysis has emphasized the demographic and ideological heterogeneity of Millennials, contradicting facile generalizations that characterize them as the “Obama generation.” In particular, there are regularly stark differences in ideology and issue positions among Millennials of different races, genders, and socioeconomic status.

Nationally, compared to 2012, youth support for Republicans remained relatively constant among Whites (-3 points), African Americans (+1 point), and Latinos (+1 point). The national exit poll suggests that there were more youth in 2016 who supported a third-party candidate, did not vote for a presidential candidate, or specifically chose not to answer this poll question. White youth have been markedly less likely than youth of color to support Democratic candidates. This year, 43% of young Whites voted for Clinton, while Black youth supported her by almost double that margin (83%). However, it’s worth noting that young African Americans were notably less likely to support Clinton in 2016 (83%) than Obama in 2012 (91%).

Young white people actually voted against the Republicans more than usual, while minority Republican votes among the youth actually gained slightly.

quote:

As of this writing (noon on November 9, 2016), an estimated 23.7 million young voters participated in the 2016 presidential election, which is 50% of citizens aged 18-29 in the United States. We estimate that 13 million youth voted for Secretary Clinton and almost 9 million youth voted for Donald Trump. An additional 2 million young people either voted for third-party candidates or chose not to vote for any of the Presidential candidates on the ballot.

There's your "but the popular vote!" answer.

Link

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

This is possible, but it won't be quick. It will be long and drawn out.

my dude when people are dying because they can't get healthcare and the dems are standing with their thumb up their asses change happens quicker than you think.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Tato posted:

what if I told you to pokemon go to the polls, would you vote then? please tell me in 3 emojiis or less

Why don't you make like a tree and pokemon go gently caress yourself.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Also I need to know about if :allbuttons: counts as a single emoji or not before I can engage in an intellectually honest (and definitely not transparent pandering) way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Soup du Journey posted:

well yeah and tyranny is fine if you have an unbroken line of philosopher kings, but it never works out that way. installing a bunch of bureaucrats who exist explicitly to subvert the democratic process is just asking to get sizzled. founders of the democratic party, i say unto you (by way of the wendy's drive-thru): ditch the superdelegates and risk the occasional whoopsie as a cost of doing business!!!

Thing is, the superdelegates AFAIK have never actually stepped in to overrule the popular vote anyway even when it would have helped get a non-garbage candidate so frankly I'm not even sure what the point of it is anymore.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VikingSkull posted:

Young white people actually voted against the Republicans more than usual, while minority Republican votes among the youth actually gained slightly.

Well, the gap seems to have shrunken compared to Obama, sure.

They still heavily favor Democrats though, like usual. I'm not seeing how this indicates they are seeking out alternative news sites, especially once FBook starts its propaganda campaign in earnest.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
That's actually a significantly higher number than I would have thought.

Bernie would have driven those numbers through the roof. Bernie would have won.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

Well, the gap seems to have shrunken compared to Obama, sure.

They still heavily favor Democrats though, like usual. I'm not seeing how this indicates they are seeking out alternative news sites, especially once FBook starts its propaganda campaign in earnest.

Who knows how they accept Facebook in the future but c'mon man, are you saying that kids read the newspaper and watch cable news?

It's pretty clear that young people consume "alternative" news sites almost exclusively. Remember, the alternative means alternative to legacy media.

Rasta_Al posted:

That's actually a significantly higher number than I would have thought.

Bernie would have driven those numbers through the roof. Bernie would have won.

It also shows that the youth vote was crucial in preventing a complete Trump blowout of Clinton in the general election. Remove the youth vote and he wins the popular vote, the electoral college and conceivably wins a few more states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fruit on the bottom posted:

Thing is, the superdelegates AFAIK have never actually stepped in to overrule the popular vote anyway even when it would have helped get a non-garbage candidate so frankly I'm not even sure what the point of it is anymore.

They're there so the nomination vote count starts in favor of Hillary and never changes and hopefully this discourages people from even bothering to vote

• Locked thread