Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Since I level capped my hastega users I've benched them and have been RWing one for the half price realms. Quite often especially Ramzas have a comment "364 MND" etc. Why does Mind matter for Shout, or does it?

Haste duration.

It's not significant, just a few seconds, but for an RW that does no damage it doesn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

UHD posted:

It's not significant

going from 18 seconds of haste on some atk-gear chump to 25+ is pretty big in my book

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Haste minimum duration is 20 seconds and the effective minimum duration assuming a level 99 Ramza is 23.5 seconds. There isn't a ton of point in taking it past 25 seconds (which requires all of 60 additional Mind) since that's when the Attack buff portion wears off and you want to re-cast it by then anyway.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 12, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Guess i was wrong :shrug:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It continues to irk me that there is no way of visually tracking certain buffs

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Beasteh posted:

It continues to irk me that there is no way of visually tracking certain buffs

One of the amusing side-benefits to the Timer for the Magicite Battles is that it allows you to do just that, though it's pretty hard to keep track of more than Wall and one other for me, if I'm honest.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

LornMarkus posted:

One of the amusing side-benefits to the Timer for the Magicite Battles is that it allows you to do just that, though it's pretty hard to keep track of more than Wall and one other for me, if I'm honest.

I wish they would make the timer an option you could just turn on in the settings menu or something. Let speedrunners show off for non-magicite battles, and generally provide a useful tool for normal players.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Now that we know that having a big mind let's you Shout louder here's this idiot's next question:

What's the point of Firion BSB CMD 1 (Chain Strike)? It says up to eight hits but realistically you can get, what, four or five casts off during a burst which should make it way worse than CMD 2 which hits four times and can be instant cast spammed after first cast.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The counter doesn't reset when Burst Mode ends, so over the course of several BSB uses you can get it to 8 hits.

That said, never use Firion command 1. Command 2 is better in prrrretty much every situation.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zurai posted:

The counter doesn't reset when Burst Mode ends, so over the course of several BSB uses you can get it to 8 hits.

That said, never use Firion command 1. Command 2 is better in prrrretty much every situation.

The big exception being stuff like torments where you can stack the poo poo out of command 1 while clearing trash.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The big exception being stuff like torments where you can stack the poo poo out of command 1 while clearing trash.

So just give him ace striker, lifesiphon, have build up a bar, and then what, CMD-1 about 4 times and then the burst is ready to fire again?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Pander posted:

So just give him ace striker, lifesiphon, have build up a bar, and then what, CMD-1 about 4 times and then the burst is ready to fire again?

Or throw in a lifesiphon in the middle if you're not quite there yet, yeah.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pander posted:

Pretty much. If you wait until he has a bar and a half to start it rolling, you should never really have downtime without burst mode, barring debuffs and stuff.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Just doing my usual single pull lifestyle and I pull on the current X banner and...

Game are you okay?

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
...Aren't the odds of getting an off-banner from a single pull something like .039%? That's... Wow, Yoshi.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Some characters are elementally confused. Edge made the jump from fire to water and is now dipping his toe into lightning. The Emperor from II is Dark, but has an EnWind Burst that had +Dark on the relic, and is getting a USB Imperil Earth in the next II event.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Some characters are elementally confused. Edge made the jump from fire to water and is now dipping his toe into lightning. The Emperor from II is Dark, but has an EnWind Burst that had +Dark on the relic, and is getting a USB Imperil Earth in the next II event.

The Emperor's Enwind + Dark relic at least sort of makes sense - aren't his Burst and related moves Dark + Wind?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This games load times are nasty.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Dandywalken posted:

This games load times are nasty.

Clear your cache if it's been a while. It can help.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ETB posted:

Clear your cache if it's been a while. It can help.

Just do it while you have wifi availiable. It'll rebuild the cage with a bunch of first time downloads that can eat data and take a long time to download.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is there a guide somewhere on the basics of leveling and combining equipment? Optimal way on doing that? I been just selling the 1 star equipment once I hit my max capacity of 100. I haven't done any leveling yet.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

poe meater posted:

Is there a guide somewhere on the basics of leveling and combining equipment? Optimal way on doing that? I been just selling the 1 star equipment once I hit my max capacity of 100. I haven't done any leveling yet.
In general, freely combine 3* and 4* as necessary. Think before combining 5* whether you'd prefer having a stronger synergy item or two synergy items. Try to have all your 5* stuff fully upgraded.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

poe meater posted:

If you're a new player, combined 3 and 4 star equipment is good and nice to have for synergy unless you have a pile of OSB weapons.

For me personally I vendor (or use to level 5*) anything that isn't a 5*.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

poe meater posted:

Secondly, keep an eye out for equipment that increases an element's damage. It may say it's a small increase, but it's a 20% to damage that bypasses the damage softcap for each piece of equipment. Mostly 5* gear has it, but if you have say Quistis' BSB then you'll want the FF VI 3* poison rod built up since it's one of the very few +poison pieces of gear available. Keep in mind though that they're best for when you can consistently reach the softcap through buffs.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the tips guys! Seems pretty costly to use equipment to level other equipment tho, 2000 per piece. I guess I should just sell these 1-2 star items?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poe meater posted:

Thanks for the tips guys! Seems pretty costly to use equipment to level other equipment tho, 2000 per piece. I guess I should just sell these 1-2 star items?

Ya junk em.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

poe meater posted:

Yeah early on gold is kind of a limiting factor, and then you hit your first orbfest and gold is never a problem again. The next orbfest is in June. If you're lacking money you can also do a run or two of the gil dailies.

But yeah using 1 and 2 stars is not a super efficient way to spend gold.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I run out of gil all the time, but I also spend most of it exchanging orbs from Orbfest and dailies. That gets expensive quick.
On the other hand I doubt I'm ever going to run out of weapon upgrade materials. Once you can clear Ult++ battles and Apocalypse multiplayers, it's practically impossible to run out.
Also Major Earth Orbs. Why do I have so many of those?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

was 1* and 2* equipment ever useful?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nihilarian posted:

Never long term but when you're just starting out it's literally your only option. But that time period ends sooner than ever at this point.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

When the game first came out, people would abuse the "airplane mode" trick to farm 2* equipment drops from bosses. You might go months before getting your first 5* item, and then it might be something like the Healing Grimoire or Genji Shield (hi! That was me). So a 2*++ item (there was no dark matter yet) with synergy might be better than a random 3* or 4* item that was your alternative option.

Thank god those dark times are behind us.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The dark ages before G5 were truly desperate times.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nihilarian posted:

When the game first launched getting 2* gear and upgrading it twice to use with synergy was how a lot of people manages to clear content early on since the boost was considerable compared to 1-2 star non-synergy gear.

And that was for globa, because Japan didn't have synergy for a few months IIRC. Dark Knight Cecil was ridiculous because he could and would AOE your entire party for 500+ damage unless you had spent the money to pul 3* or better weapons and armor for everyone. If you were a F2P you had to S/L a ton until the RNG went in your favor or grind levels (and/or orbs to craft power break) to get through the fight. Like running a Torment dungeon, only with more S/L shenanigans and less abilities to use so it was boring as hell.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I remember people re-running dungeons that dropped 2* equipment to get it to 4* lol

I think I straight up sell all 4* weapons and armor now just for convenience

I don't like the current ability balance however - the better SBs get the stronger Lifesiphon, Wrath, etc get. 5* abilities are often inferior to lifesiphon if you have BSB2s, OSBs, etc

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I remember people re-running dungeons that dropped 2* equipment to get it to 4* lol

I think I straight up sell all 4* weapons and armor now just for convenience

I don't like the current ability balance however - the better SBs get the stronger Lifesiphon, Wrath, etc get. 5* abilities are often inferior to lifesiphon if you have BSB2s, OSBs, etc

5* abilities are usually stronger than BSB commands (exceptions are Powerchain commands or commands like Squall's BSB2). 5* abilities are also starting to get more hits to help them with the damage cap - Guardbringer, Tempest Snipe, etc. In addition, as the meta starts to move towards USBs, strong hones on abilities are going to become more valuable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just earned me a curada. is it worth even making if i have a r3 ultra cure though?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Cowcaster posted:

i just earned me a curada. is it worth even making if i have a r3 ultra cure though?

They're both curaja+effect. In the end they are completely different spells.

Curada is like a double heal, with the second heal being metered out as you take damage. It can save up actions a white mage must make for other poo poo like wrath or diaga or whatever.

Ultra cure is curaja+esuna. Which will let you cover 2 bases at once. Not so useful in certain fights, amazing in others.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if youre a crazy motherfucker you could bring both curada and ultra cure at the same time and use whichever one is more useful in a given instance

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i meant more in the sense that one i can throw out 8 times and one i can throw out 4 times with basically no chance to hone it higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cowcaster posted:

i meant more in the sense that one i can throw out 8 times and one i can throw out 4 times with basically no chance to hone it higher
If you're relying on it as your sole heal, no. It's good on an offhealer, or a healer who will be doing the majority of their healing with BSB commands.

• Locked thread