Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/863600213356945408

Erik Karlsson: good and fun

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Counterpoint, that says he is lukewarm and fun.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fine fine. Good-ish and fun.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
We're inching closer and closer to the Preds vs. Sens Cup final the entire NHL deserves.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Siroc posted:

We're inching closer and closer to the Preds vs. Sens Cup final the entire NHL deserves.

Gary Bettman needs to get ahold of hitbox.com's number so we can watch the NHL playoffs when they get punted down to NBC Universal and then gets preempted by hour 2 of the Mecum Auto Auctions.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Maatta gets slower and slower the more I watch that replay :negative:

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Does anyone else remember a very popular Penguins pylon moment? Congratulations Montreal on your new D Man, Ole' Ole' Ole' Ole', Ole' Ollie!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's pretty incredible how bad the Pens are at puck possession without Letang. Like to the point of getting out shot by the Ottawa Senators.

Captain Internet posted:

Does anyone else remember a very popular Penguins pylon moment? Congratulations Montreal on your new D Man, Ole' Ole' Ole' Ole', Ole' Ollie!

That play sucked poo poo but you know he's been our best defender and our GF when he's on the ice is through the roof throughout his career. He's a good player who has a terrible flaw so people look at that and forget all the other times where he's making a good pass or breaking up a play with a good stick.

Basically he's pretty good even though he looks really bad when his flaw gets exposed.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 14, 2017

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
It's only super disappointing when you look at his first two seasons and see him recognize lapses in coverage, skate hard and go bar down while being fast enough to get back if the play broke bad. Ollie's biggest enemy is younger Ollie. It's even worse because it was such a short time and he's such a different player so very quickly. Like, it wasn't a gentle rolling decline, it was like a sheer mesa.

I know the tumor and injuries but I was hopeful he'd get his wheels back eventually.

Also, saying Ollie is the Pen's best defensemen is more an indictment of their D than a compliment to him. It's also super weird how they had not at all adapted to the fact that they only have one fast and and dynamic D-Man. I think the line combos for practice are employing the spread poo poo very thinly across all layers strategy instead of the stack poo poo into a pile in the corner method.

Cole-Ruhwedel
Maatta-Schultz
Dumoulin-Hainsey
Streit-Pouliot

Maybe it will work out?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Hainsey is way worse than Matta.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
What's the Matta, Olle?

What's the Matta with you?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

That play sucked poo poo but you know he's been our best defender and our GF when he's on the ice is through the roof throughout his career. He's a good player who has a terrible flaw so people look at that and forget all the other times where he's making a good pass or breaking up a play with a good stick.

Basically he's pretty good even though he looks really bad when his flaw gets exposed.

I don't agree wth this at all. His career numbers are inflated by mostly playing with Letang. He looked legitimately good in his first couple years, but he doesn't look good anymore, and not just because he's turned into a sloth. His positioning isn't particularly good, he's weak on the puck, and he makes bad passes left and right. This playoffs, he's been in a pretty tight race for Worst D with Hainsey and Daley IMO. Like, Ian Cole is way better than him now. And Cole is not very good

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Can Olli wear rocket skates

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If the Penguins left Maatta exposed, would Vegas take him?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

No.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

IIRC, Maata played a ton with Matt Niskanen his rookie year and Niskanen turned out to be a lot better than most people thought at the time

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Vegas is taking a goalie from Pittsburgh one way or another.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Godinster posted:

Vegas is taking a goalie from Pittsburgh one way or another.

I have a feeling they have something worked out to have Vegas take Maf.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Why would Fleury do that?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
sens in 4

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why would Fleury do that?

Because he's going somewhere regardless and the alternative is having him bought out and having to face the uncertainty of free agency where there's no guarantee a team will offer him the starting job.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Because he's going somewhere regardless and the alternative is having him bought out and having to face the uncertainty of free agency where there's no guarantee a team will offer him the starting job.
Being bought out means extra money and he gets to decide where he goes. He is not in any danger of not having a starting job, and if Vegas liked him so much he could just sign there anyways.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Fleury's choice is Vegas or free agency, why would he not want the buyout money plus the 5 year deal that Calgary or whoever would give him. Look at the deals Bishop and Darling just signed.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If the Pens buy out Fleury, I really hope he signs with the Flyers. That would be amazing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If Fleury's choice is Vegas or free agency, why would he not want the buyout money plus the 5 year deal that Calgary or whoever would give him. Look at the deals Bishop and Darling just signed.

Because he's Crosby's buddy and doesn't want to screw the Penguins :colbert:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
we shall see *cackles*

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i still want to see sully try dressing 7D for the pens, shelter them a bit more. i think they could make do with 11F

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Fleury would leave so he can be the starting goalie. If ownership wants Fleury to leave and he refuses, expect to see him get less than 15-20 games in the entire next season. They'll bring Jarry up to play and give Murray the lion's share.

There are a million ways you can make someone's life unpleasant. I really hope that's now how Fleury ends his Pittsburgh career though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Edit: wrong thread

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Fleury would leave so he can be the starting goalie. If ownership wants Fleury to leave and he refuses, expect to see him get less than 15-20 games in the entire next season. They'll bring Jarry up to play and give Murray the lion's share.

There are a million ways you can make someone's life unpleasant. I really hope that's now how Fleury ends his Pittsburgh career though.

If Fleury doesn't cooperate on leaving and the pens don't buy him out they are going to lose Murray to Las Vegas - if that happens I don't see the Pens benching Fleury in favor of anyone else.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

IIRC, Maata played a ton with Matt Niskanen his rookie year and Niskanen turned out to be a lot better than most people thought at the time

Karl Alzner is going to make $25 million+ this offseason off the back of Matt Niskanen. It's pretty amazing how bad Alzner was away from Niskanen and how good Niskanen was away from Alzner. Not really shocked he made Maatta look good in hindsight.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

JawKnee posted:

If Fleury doesn't cooperate on leaving and the pens don't buy him out they are going to lose Murray to Las Vegas - if that happens I don't see the Pens benching Fleury in favor of anyone else.

They will not. They will make a deal with Vegas before losing Murray. I very much doubt it will get to that, though.

TOXX: If Murray goes to Vegas, I will update my avatar to some sort of animated Fleury Vegas Knight thing that mentions how wrong I was.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

JawKnee posted:

Unless they make a deal with Vegas to not take Murray/take Murray and then trade him right back to the Penguins for e.g. Hagelin and a 1st.

e:f;b

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

It's in Fleury's best financial interest, I think, to choose a list of teams that he knows won't/can't take him, and try and stay in Pittsburgh; if they buy him out he'll likely make a bunch more money on another team through free agency, if they don't he gets to stay on the team he knows. I don't see LV making a deal if Murray is available - he's a damned good, young goalie that just won the cup, it would have to be a hell of a deal.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

JawKnee posted:

It's in Fleury's best financial interest, I think, to choose a list of teams that he knows won't/can't take him, and try and stay in Pittsburgh; if they buy him out he'll likely make a bunch more money on another team through free agency, if they don't he gets to stay on the team he knows. I don't see LV making a deal if Murray is available - he's a damned good, young goalie that just won the cup, it would have to be a hell of a deal.

I honestly think he'd rather play 50+ games a year than get a few extra million dollars. And since I think the Penguins will do what is necessary to keep Murray, it won't be in Pittsburgh that he plays those games. Injuries not withstanding.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/CoryCurtis2/status/863904269245788161

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Karl Alzner is going to make $25 million+ this offseason off the back of Matt Niskanen. It's pretty amazing how bad Alzner was away from Niskanen and how good Niskanen was away from Alzner. Not really shocked he made Maatta look good in hindsight.

Sucked to lose Nisky because he's actually affordable now and would be a good fit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

What kind of person am I for thinking that was a hosed-up banana at first

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I just want to know where they hid it to get it into the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

I honestly think he'd rather play 50+ games a year than get a few extra million dollars. And since I think the Penguins will do what is necessary to keep Murray, it won't be in Pittsburgh that he plays those games. Injuries not withstanding.

It's probably more like an extra 15 million.

• Locked thread