Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

I've been in contact with Mbeke, Warlock, and I have a message from Von Hoff. The stress and schedule has gotten to Von Hoff and he's in ill health at the moment. The Provisional Minister Juan Joboco has stepped up as our contact while Von Hoff rests.

I spoke with Mbeke through a translator. He feels that there's no meat left on the Free State elephant and that the Dictator's elephant is short and fat. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but he looked quite sage-like as he said it. A part of me wanted to hand him an empty coke bottle, but I thought better of it. Logistically his forces are stretched but the Free State and Dictator haven' been able to interdict his lines. For this he is grateful and is sure with a nights rest he can be ready to push ahead. The S. African armored vehicles of ours are in position near the bridge overlooking Port Amboim.

And here's the issue.

There's two bridges separating us from Luanda. But even beyond that the Bulgarians are holding the two bridges into Luanda itself. Mbeke is worried that they'll blow the bridges and we'll be down to using infantry alone. If we can destroy the command post at each bridge they'll not be able to blow them. But if they see us coming they'll blow them.

Mbeke proposed another route. This one is slightly longer, 160 miles to the coastal 120 miles. It drives from from our current position in Quibala through Cambambe (where Fort Cambambe is located) and eventually into eastern Angola.

The eastern route is longer, but we don't risk the issues with the bridges. On the downside it's within range of the Free States air units. If we can sanitize that airspace then we can be reasonably safe. Mbeke is insistent that we don't need to worry about our east flank, that the Free State is just taking ground that the Dictators forces have abandoned.

Warlock reviewed the mission and ground intel and feels our biggest threat in the air is the SA-11 batteries. But he pointed out that they only have one radar station left, knock that out and those SA-11's might go radar active. Intel on the ground shows that the SA-11's have all been pulled into Luanda itself, seems the Dictator wants to cover his rear end first. Warlock is certain it'll be a target rich environment.

In regards to the F-22's he kept it short, don't gently caress with them.

Von Hoff asked me to share this.

I spoke with one of Mbeke's Rangers about the fighting. He said the problem with attacking the Free State is they "didn't pay for what they took" and just fall back. On the flip side the Dictators forces pull back until they reach a strongpoint or armored unit and hold until flanked. He waved his hand dismissively when I asked about the Free State's troops. What he felt was important was knocking out those armored units and letting them gain ground.

At the moment we have communication with Tesla, they said they launched 8 jets worth of SDB's and it took them all just to knockout a couple of targets. The SAM cover is stiff. Apple has made no comment to us at all. Last we heard of that Chinese carrier group puts them somewhere off the coast of South America and heading our way fast. Negotiations will be tough, no one wants to haggle until they're sure how the sides are going to shake out. For now the negotiations will be done with missile and bomb.

Still no sign of the Free States new mercs either.

edit : All we know from Tesla and Apple is we're considered "Neutral" and won't be fired upon unless we aggress.

So, we have potential targets that will blow the bridge if they see us coming, and a line to some folks with stealth aircraft...hmmm.

I hope we're not handing over Angola from one dictator to another...you better stay on the straight and narrow, Joboco, or we're coming back! :argh:

Oh, and they'd better build a nice big statue of Rohan & Silent Bob, they owe them that much.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, we have potential targets that will blow the bridge if they see us coming, and a line to some folks with stealth aircraft...hmmm.

I hope we're not handing over Angola from one dictator to another...you better stay on the straight and narrow, Joboco, or we're coming back! :argh:

I try to get paid preferably in advance ideally to an offshore account, that's why I choose my customers so carefully. Say what you like about warlords and dictators, they tend to have a highly developed sense of order. They always pay their bills on time.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yooper posted:

Command Post locations will be known, as will bridges.

Bulgarians are locked into the mission mainly because they can't get out. They're committed like the pig, not the chicken.

Holy poo poo this is a no-brainer. Let's offer the Bulgarians free passage and a little money to sweeten the deal, maybe ask von Hoff if he'd be willing to additionally throw them a cushy contract to train his guys post-war just to make the deal a little sexier, they have got to be looking for a low-risk way to make cash to rebuild after the beating they took. This could all but guarantee our victory for absolutely trivial risk and effort on our side.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 14, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

aphid_licker posted:

Holy poo poo this is a no-brainer. Let's offer the Bulgarians free passage and a little money to sweeten the deal, maybe ask von Hoff if he'd be willing to additionally throw them a cushy contract to train his guys post-war just to make the deal a little sexier, they have got to be looking for a low-risk way to make cash to rebuild after the beating they took. This could all but guarantee our victory for absolutely trivial risk and effort on our side.

Yeah, Im totally down for getting them to change flags / let our troops through. They get a x year contract with the new regime, and we get our win.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, letting the Bulgarians peacefully withdraw through Von Hoff's territory would be cool. Assuming we can trust them not to just raise trouble once they're behind our lines.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, letting the Bulgarians peacefully withdraw through Von Hoff's territory would be cool. Assuming we can trust them not to just raise trouble once they're behind our lines.

"We are marching north. You march south. We won't fire unless you do. If you don't fire, theres a cushy x year contract waiting for you."

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yep, also fully on board with letting the Bulgarians out. They make sure those bridges stay intact and don't shoot at us, they're more than welcome to a little payout and a job with Hoff or whatever else their little hearts desire.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Yes, converting those Bulgarians would safe us a lot of trouble down the line. And give the count some poeple who can train the next generation Angolan Army.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Even so, all plans we make should assume that the Bulgarians do not defect--or if they do, that their positions will be taken over by the Dictator's former SAM operators who might not be able to fight, but can still press a button to blow the bridges.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the Count inclined to be a benevolent transitional ruler, a benevolent dictator, or a dictator?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Calling it, F22s are going to get hacked by China and be the boss of this campaign.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

IIRC von Hoff has told us he isn't personally interested in leading the new government, he just wants the country in the hands of the people.
Also I'm glad my choice of using those Ace Combat 3 drone F-22s was vindicated. :v:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Operation: Fiery Revenge

Objectives:

Dictator Forces:

1) Smash opposing ground forces to allow our ground units to advance on the capital.
2) Eliminate enemy operating bases to cause confusion and interference among enemy command structure.
3) Eliminate any remaining aerial assets.
4) Destroy enemy radar station to restrict enemy electronic ability.

Free State Forces:
1) Achieve air superiority to ensure protection of friendly ground forces.
2) Neutralise enemy radar station to hamper enemy electronic ability.
3) Destroy enemy ground forces advancing westwards to ensure friendly forces take control of the capital.

Neutral Party Forces:
1) Do not engage any neutral party forces unless fired upon.

Battle Map:

Battle Plan:

Solid Blue Unit:

2 x 2 flights of Gripens armed with SDB loadout. Their objective is to destroy the enemy unit facing our friendly ground units and destroy the enemy forward operating base.
2 x 1 flights of Mirages equipped with R.550 loadout. Provide air to air cover for the ground attack Gripens.

Red Unit:

1 x 2 flight of Saudi Tornados armed with AGM-88B HARM loadout. Their objective is to destroy the Dictator's radar facility

Orange Unit:

1 x 2 flight of Gripens armed with SDB loadout. Their objective is to destroy the enemy AA defenses protecting the Dictator's eastern flank.
1 x 2 flight of AMXs armed with Sidewinder loadout. Provide air to air cover for the ground attack Gripens.

Pink Unit:

1 x 2 flight of Tornados armed with AGM-88B HARM loadout. Their objective is to destroy the Free State radar facility.

White Unit:

1 x Reaper with Gorgon Stare. Slowly advance northwards as required to recon enemy forces.

Black Unit:

1 x 1 flight of SU-25 Frogfoot armed with ZAB-500 Incendiary Bombs in the long range configuration. Burn Free State infantry forces.
1 x 6 flight of F4 Phantoms armed with Mk20 Rockeye II bombs. Cluster strike Free State infantry forces.

Dotted Blue Unit:

(Note: This flight consists of the ground attack Gripens after they have made their initial attack and have RTB and rearmed)

2 x 2 flights of Gripens armed with SDB loadout. Their objective is to destroy the enemy units guarding the approach to the capital. If necessary engage enemy air defenses to ensure survival.

Yellow Circle Unit:

2 x 2 flights of Gripens armed with Meteor loadout. Provide Close Air Protection for other missions/ground troops. Eliminate enemy aerial forces.

Green Circle Unit:

1 x 1 flight of Tanker. Refuel CAP and other planes as needed.
1 x 1 flight of Saab 100B. Provide EWACS.
1 x 5 flight of SK60 with gunpods. Provide CAP for tanker/EWACS. In reality get the enemy fighters to shoot you down not the important stuff if they get through the real CAP.

Flight Take Off Priority:

Huambo Airfield:

1) Yellow Circle Unit.
2) Red Unit.
3) Solid Blue Unit:
4) Dotted Blue Unit.
5) Green Circle Unit.

Kuito Airfield:

1) Orange Unit.
2) Pink Unit.
3) Black Unit.

Rules of Engagement:

Dictators Forces:

Hostile
Engage at will.

Free State Forces:

Hostile
Engage at will.

Neutral Forces:

Neutral.
Fire if fired upon.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
You should probably give a Target Priority list. That way we don't end up attacking every truck depot from here to the capital.
Something like:
Priority targets include
    AAA and SAM Sites
    Radar
    Enemy Flyers
    Mission Objectives

Secondary targets are as follows:
    Armored Battalions
    Infantry Positions
    Secondary Mission Objectives

Targets of Opportunity include:
    FOBs
    Truck Depots
    Airports
    Tertiary Mission Objectives

I am probably missing a lot on that list, but it does prevent the Hired Goons from blowing their load on a truck depot when there is a SAM site in the area they could shoot at instead.

Oh, and have we seen anything from the Dictator on Twitter?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So I got a hold of a rep for the Bulgarians in Sofia. They are stuck between a rock and a dictator and really don't want to keep going. But here's the problem.

They're broke. Flat broke. So broke they are borrowing diesel fuel from garbage trucks.

Not only that but they owe a shitload of money to the Bulgarian Mob. Specifically, this guy.

That guy happens to own a handful of lithium freighters. A handful of lithium freighters that he doesn't see much use for once Tesla & Co. come in and six sigma the place.

He wants us to blow one up. Empty. In international waters. Without any witnesses. Insurance fraud baby.

So, what say you Hired Goons? Do we make a strike into the Atlantic Ocean and help some Bulgarian mobster insurance fraud a bote?

In return the Bulgarians will seize the bridges once they see Von Hoff's forces and simply let them pass by.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yes yes absolutely a thousand times yes.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Yooper posted:

Without any witnesses.

I'm sensing a catch. Let me guess, it's docked with an oil platform. :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So, firing AShM's in the general direction of the Chinese carrier group doesn't seem like the safest thing we could do, but gently caress it I'm game. Guaranteeing that the bridges will be in friendly hands when we get to them is a big plus in and of itself, and hopefully Dos Santos (or his successor, more likely) is planning on us meeting resistance there so when we waltz across it'll gently caress up their plans as an extra bonus.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Ladies and gentlemen and those who eschew those titles, I think we just found a role for our Sperwer and cargo aircraft (with their terrain radars).

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

This seems like such a no brainer.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, let's sink that ship. Only good things can come from this.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

If we swing this right, we might even be able to make it into a false flag operation: have our planes or missiles come in from the direction of Luanda and the problem resolves itself. After all, would the rest of the world believe the ravings of an obviously mad dictator? :smuggo:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I vote no helping criminals could back fire on us at a later date, if knowledge got out that we helped criminals it could tarnish our working reputation. Not to mention we can get around without needing those bridges and other than their word we got no guarantee they will stick by what they said.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This won't be during the op, but a special "standalone" operation.

Yes, there will be a catch.

There's always a catch.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Yooper posted:

This won't be during the op, but a special "standalone" operation.

Yes, there will be a catch.

There's always a catch.

Oh. So it's like that radar op from way back when.

Hmm, this is harder.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh. So it's like that radar op from way back when.

Hmm, this is harder.

To clarify this does not count against the last mission and the Chinese arriving. Consider it mission 5.5

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Guys we might reaaally piss of the corps or the UN if we intentionally blow up a civilian cargo ship.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guys the free state might reaaally piss of the corps or the UN if they intentionally blow up a civilian cargo ship.

ftfy

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Is the catch something we can destroy with Meteors, glide bombs or cruise missiles?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I hate boats more than I hate bridges. Sink it!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Using Kfirs as a false-flag to frame the Free State is a really good idea, actually. Now if only we could blow up the bridge in the same mission...

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i mean really, do you think we would fly a kfir with an anime waifu painted on it? look we cant be help responsible for the action of the so called "free" state, clearly they've gone off the deep end. You know, our current contract is about to expire, if y'all need help tracking down their leadership for a trial well im sure we can discuss a good price...

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The Free State did try to take claim for our missiles hitting the capital, so we can just say they did this too!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Absolutely!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

yurtcradled posted:

Is the catch something we can destroy with Meteors, glide bombs or cruise missiles?

The catch will be something we can deal with with ordnance onboard. To make it interesting the catch will be random. So even I won't know what's sailing/flying/floating in the mission.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Yooper, I think you'd better say right now whether you're willing to take any and all of these false flag ops ideas seriously. Give a hard yes or no before we go too far down the rabbit hole in planning this side op.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dagon posted:

I hate boats more than I hate bridges. Sink it!

fraud the bote

why is this even a question

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Voting yes.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Do you want adventure Y/N

Adbot