Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He always was.

Edit: And Donaldson might beat that for next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

He was always under team control for 2018, we just know the rate now.

The Nats beat writers seem to agree that the huge price tag also represents a show of good faith from the team w/r/t signing him long term after that. I think he'll go to the team with the biggest offer like every other Boras client (except Stras!) but this at least means there won't be any bad blood.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I need an adult

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
When the hell did the Brewers acquire handsome Eric sogard?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Timby posted:

Aren't Bryant, Russell, Heyward and Jay all hurting? They need some short-term utility help.

Ahf' ah Butler ahornah mgsyha'h ah'mglw'nafh. Vulgtmah l' Maddon, lord ot halls ot li llll Clark

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

cis autodrag posted:

When the hell did the Brewers acquire handsome Eric sogard?

#FACEOFMLB

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

ego symphonic posted:

He was always under team control for 2018, we just know the rate now.

The Nats beat writers seem to agree that the huge price tag also represents a show of good faith from the team w/r/t signing him long term after that. I think he'll go to the team with the biggest offer like every other Boras client (except Stras!) but this at least means there won't be any bad blood.

I look forward to seeing him in a dodger uniform

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Meister posted:

Dodgers aren't going to be able to keep signing the checks for their mega-deals within a few years unless SportsNet LA gets carriage beyond Charter.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Der Meister posted:

As long as he stays out of the division / doesn't go to the Yankees.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/CSNMooney/status/863538531737755650

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I do love how it's always the old, not in any real danger of being plunked starters who talk poo poo like this. Lester, Lackey, etc. I hate the stupid faux-macho posturing that comes with this and am super not looking forward to whichever Cardinals player will feel obliged to respond, either in the press or by throwing at a Cub.

E: Betting on Yadi somehow instigating.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
why is Jon Lester so dang mad about an outdated calculation device

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I'm mystified that Lester is against a rule that's supposed to make it easier to throw the ball to first

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

I do love how it's always the old, not in any real danger of being plunked starters who talk poo poo like this. Lester, Lackey, etc. I hate the stupid faux-macho posturing that comes with this and am super not looking forward to whichever Cardinals player will feel obliged to respond, either in the press or by throwing at a Cub.

E: Betting on Yadi somehow instigating.

I don't think he's referring to the Cardinals. I think he's saying in general that the slide rule is making players "pansies" which is a stupid statement but I don't see why the Cardinals would take offense to it.

It's not like the Cardinals enforce the rule.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I don't think he's referring to the Cardinals. I think he's saying in general that the slide rule is making players "pansies" which is a stupid statement but I don't see why the Cardinals would take offense to it.

It's not like the Cardinals enforce the rule.

You're probably right and I'm willing to give Lester the benefit of the doubt. That being said, do you really trust the Cardinals to not take offense here? Even though we don't have LaRussa anymore, this team absolutely can find ways to get pissy unnecessarily.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dude can't throw to first base :laffo:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm Pete Mackinin and Edubray Ramos is my favorite baseball man

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/clarkspencer/status/863589375464136704

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
N: Rich Hill and Brandon McCarthy will be coming off the DL to start next week. Kenta was already placed on the DL with a "hamstring injury".

V: When's the last time a team has been so blatant about manufacturing regular phantom DL stints to rotate through a 7 man rotation? I mean, its a good problem for us to have, and Kershaw/Wood are the only pitchers who aren't oft injured/in need of regular rest/occasionally terrible, but it'll be funny to see if this merry-go-around continues all year. Would get even trickier if (a big if, to be sure) Kazmir comes back healthy and effective.

Best option might be to keep Hill in the bullpen as an Andrew Miller-type because Blister.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
N: The Rangers' starters have the 7th worst FIP

V: And the second best ERA

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Alcides Escobar is slashing .183/.220/.250 so far this year. He has the worst OBP over the last 5 years for any player who's averaged 100 games a year ( a robust .287). Good enough to be promoted to the leadoff spot on the Royals!

Oh wait, the chart I was linked to on that OBP thing includes 2017. Still he has more than a full season's worth of games on the next closest in games played to him that had a worse OBP (660-493).

Ned Yost posted:

"Crazy as it sounds, the catalyst [to winning five of last six] is putting [Alcides Escobar] at the top. His at-bats are better. [Eric Hosmer's] at-bats are better. Moss' at-bats are better. ... Guys are putting together good at-bats." -- Royals manager Ned Yost, on #EskyMagic

Of course. He's going to sign an extension and be in the leadoff spot for the next 5 years.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

N: The Rangers' starters have the 7th worst FIP

V: And the second best ERA

Last year they finished the season 13 games above their pythag. Maybe the Rangers are just very good at being lucky.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vernacular posted:

N: Rich Hill and Brandon McCarthy will be coming off the DL to start next week. Kenta was already placed on the DL with a "hamstring injury".

V: When's the last time a team has been so blatant about manufacturing regular phantom DL stints to rotate through a 7 man rotation?

Feel like the Mets did this maybe three years ago.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Last year they finished the season 13 games above their pythag. Maybe the Rangers are just very good at being lucky.

Hmm...
Trigger warning for Rangers fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxmYPUSMAek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEEOZpdp9bo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITFx8FYQ31Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1vDF0hSfoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAEEjyXvUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQzFYOe7pAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQJya1AyXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVh3XfVFjA

If the Rangers are lucky that luck sure as hell runs out with a quickness every October.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Timby posted:

Feel like the Mets did this maybe three years ago.

Hill was obviously actually in need of it, but it's definitely easier to do something like this now with the 10 day DL.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

elentar posted:

Good news: the Braves are coming to town.
I WARNED YOU...

Marlins have already lost 2 out of 3 games in this series

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Hmm...
Trigger warning for Rangers fans:

Okay I should add the modifier "in the regular season."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The stomach flu must really be kicking Bryant's rear end because he's out of the lineup for the third straight day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he finally had his first alcoholic drink inspired by Harvey.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I maintain that 2011 will probably be the story I tell my grandkids about.

"So you see, Billy, that's why I hate Nelson Cruz. Now go get grandpa his laser walker.":corsair:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I WARNED YOU...

Marlins have already lost 2 out of 3 games in this series

This one's there for the taking, Braves are hitting Adonis second, sitting Flowers and Phillips, and running out Dickey.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
N: https://twitter.com/drivelinebases/status/863838011871469568

V: :aaaaa:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If he ever gets it together at the plate to be even a career ~.750 OPS player he's going to be an absolute star in this league.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Cleveland fans gave that play a standing ovation, btw. In case the .gif doesn't sell how good it was.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Former umpire Steve Palermo is dead at 67.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

appears that jake arrieta is done

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Nats bullpen is a loving disaster

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Cubs just going to keep playing Schwarber everyday?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Schwarber starting to sniff a little bit of an overhyped mediocre player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Are the Cubs just going to keep playing Schwarber everyday?

I know everyone's all OUR BEEFY LAD and whatever, but he clearly cannot handle the physical toll of playing the field every day.

Kirios posted:

Schwarber starting to sniff a little bit of an overhyped mediocre player.

I don't think he's mediocre -- he's been an on-base machine everywhere he's gone. But he projects, and has always projected, as a DH, because his body has gotten worse every year going back to when he was first drafted. I saw him in Kane County, and he looks like he's put on 30 pounds, at least, since then, and not in the right places.

Really, he's a guy the Red Sox should have gone after to fill the "fat guy who hits dingers" void left by Ortiz.

• Locked thread